Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: Yesterday 5:33:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla]
Decided to throw in and buy one.

Currently I am getting a hard case, and all manner of adapters to go from 12v/usb to it, as well as all the 18v battery types I have.

Do I need to buy anything else?
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgeline001] [#1]
I just got my regular one set up a couple months ago. Was pretty much plug it in, align and gtg.
Here is a free month link for anyone.

Eta 4 sp
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ridgeline001:
I just got my regular one set up a couple months ago. Was pretty much plug it in, align and gtg.
Here is a free month link for anyone.

Eta 4 sp
View Quote

Link just goes to their main page, not a free trial…
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Justintime2:

View Quote

When you sign up for the service with the link is when it is supposed to show on checkout.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justintime2] [#5]
Originally Posted By Ridgeline001:

View Quote

When you sign up for the service with the link is when it is supposed to show on checkout.
View Quote

Got it! Thinking about getting this for the 4Runner for overlanding instead of a WeBoost, presuming I could just use this and do WiFi calling if phone was needed?
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Did you buy it as a standalone or as an add on to a plan you already have.  I’m debating on picking one up.
View Quote

My first experience with starlink no plan.

I started out seeing the $299 residential plan and thought hmmm I'd only have to pay internet once and I could take it anywhere I need. Then saw the mini and decided I like Elon so I should buy it and it's ever smaller, more efficient and runs off small batteries. Be handy for back country exploring I like to do.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Got it! Thinking about getting this for the 4Runner for overlanding instead of a WeBoost, presuming I could just use this and do WiFi calling if phone was needed?
View Quote

Yes that's my exact idea
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#8]
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:25:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justintime2] [#9]
Ya $600 is a steep entry price for the device…
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:26:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#10]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

Yep that’s why I want one.  The $50 roam plan, pay as you want really is enticing for me.  We do a lot of outdoor stuff.  The $599 kinda sucks though so I can’t decide which one I want.
View Quote

Get the mini roam. It's basically the same as the big one.

The big one technically you can move around and use, you just have to change your address in the system each time. You also need a separate router for big one and it uses more power.

I'm a super cheap dude, but I bought the mini if that tells you anything.  $165 ain't bad for Internet these days which is the mini unlimited tier. Your alternative is home internet and star link and you would pay about the same.

Another reason buying this you help Elon and he's doing some awesome things
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
If you bought a Mini but just wanted to use it when your primary ISP goes down even when on generator power is there a way to power the Mini and get into some type of interface to turn it on?

I'd be interested in one as a backup but if you lose power/ISP/cellular but can power the Mini it would be awesome if if you could start a month plan to get connected ASAP.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#14]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:
If you bought a Mini but just wanted to use it when your primary ISP goes down even when on generator power is there a way to power the Mini and get into some type of interface to turn it on?

I'd be interested in one as a backup but if you lose power/ISP/cellular but can power the Mini it would be awesome if if you could start a month plan to get connected ASAP.
View Quote

You can power it from car 12v with usb adapter. It draws around 40 watts max.
You can also use the various battery packs like the Ecoflows.

Or you can run it with your 18v drill batteries (milwaukee ryobi etc).  You'll get like 2-4 hours use, but its ultra portable.

A 50 watt solar panel would probably also work.

I think you have to have service to restart it. I recall a video last night where a guy did not have on the allow over 50gb option/ charge 1 per $5 gigs.

So he can to drive to cell coverage to get it turned on, then it went back to working.

I think you can active and reactive as the system will navigate to starlink.com.

I'd probably set it up, so it will automatically go over 50gb so you avoid what happened to the guy above.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone confirmed it will do WiFi calling and FaceTime on an iPhone/iPad/MacBook Air?
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: Today 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Mini that I got a couple of months ago for camping/roaming the desert.  Works great.

I power it with a Jackery power station at the moment.  Starlink is now selling a DC cable for plugging it directly into a USB-C PD port.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top