Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Today 5:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighCaliber] [#1]
Professional saw user here:

For a 50cc I would go Stihl 261 with a 25” .325 bar.

Skip on any current 60cc choice. If you have to then get a Stihl 400. 28” bar max.

70cc would be a Stihl 462 if you want to spend the money. Mine was stolen. Replaced with the Husqvarna 572 which is no slouch and significantly less money. Both will turn a 32 just fine, usually run a 28.

80cc is purely Stihl 500 territory. Expensive and drinks fuel but has the cool factor.

Husqvarna 592 is the 90cc to buy for 36+ bar territory. Stihl 661 lags compared to it.

Just make sure whatever you buy has a couple good local dealers. If not then Husqvarna has better parts availability online.
Link Posted: Today 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighCaliber:

Skip on any current 60cc choice. If you have to then get a Stihl 400. 28” bar max.

70cc would be a Stihl 462 if you want to spend the money. Mine was stolen. Replaced with the Husqvarna 572 which is no slouch and significantly less money. Both will turn a 32 just fine, usually run a 28.

80cc is purely Stihl 500 territory. Expensive and drinks fuel but has the cool factor.

Husqvarna 592 is the 90cc to buy for 36+ bar territory. Stihl 661 lags compared to it.

Just make sure whatever you buy has a couple good local dealers. If not then Husqvarna has better parts availability online.
View Quote

A 261 with a 25" bar?

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you made a mistake on that lol.
Link Posted: Today 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

A 261 with a 25" bar?

View Quote

Sure. Put a 16” bar on it and bend over or squat down all day. No thank you.
Link Posted: Today 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A 261 with a 25" bar?

Or take ten minutes to cut a 12" log.  A 25" is way too much for a 261.  I don't care that you use it "professionally".
Link Posted: Today 6:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#5]

View Quote

I know exactly what you are saying, and don't disagree, but with a 25" on a 50cc saw, you have to constantly pull up on the front handle, and push down on the rear all day, since the saw wants to nose-over all the time.  That will wear your ass out, just like bending over.
Neither situation is good.

Tony

P.S. I have a few Pro Stihls.

Link Posted: Today 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A 20” lightweight bar on a ported 261 is a perfect combo. My favorite was 3/8” full skip chain but I didn’t bore a lot.

You can mod the oiler also to get more flow.
Link Posted: Today 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

25in bar on a 261?    I see your in NV so maybe that makes sense on what you cut.    For a 25in bar I’m using a 500i

OP is in AR so if imagine he will cut a lot of oak.
I think it’s pretty clear that the 550xp and MS 261 are both excellent saws so at least he is getting good info there.  Personally I wouldn’t be happy with anything more than 18in on. 50cc  but 20in would work if that’s what you got.  Just going to be slow.  

Link Posted: Today 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 346ci:
A 20” lightweight bar on a ported 261 is a perfect combo. My favorite was 3/8” full skip chain but I didn’t bore a lot.

You can mod the oiler also to get more flow.
View Quote

Most people aren’t going to buy a ported saw but the muffler mod wakes them up pretty good
Link Posted: Today 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Went by several dealers to handle the Stihl MS-261 and the Husqvarna 550 XP in person.  One of the local Stihl dealers had both the regular 261 and the 261 CM.  They both felt nice in hand, being considerably lighter than my 460 Rancher.  Both had an 18” bar.

Neither of the Husqvarna dealers had a 550-XP in stock, but am starting to lean more that way as my current saw has been so reliable over the years.

I’ve also got to decide between a 16” and 18” bar.  What does everyone recommend?  All I’ll be doing with this saw is bucking white oak firewood.

Also does anyone have experience with the Echo CS-501P saw?  It’s supposed to be pretty light, how does it compare to the other two?
Link Posted: Today 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]

A 261 with a 25" bar?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For a 50cc I would go Stihl 261 with a 25" .325 bar.

Skip on any current 60cc choice. If you have to then get a Stihl 400. 28" bar max.

A 261 with a 25" bar?

Probably out west in softwoods.
Link Posted: Today 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:
Went by several dealers to handle the Stihl MS-261 and the Husqvarna 550 XP in person.  One of the local Stihl dealers had both the regular 261 and the 261 CM.  They both felt nice in hand, being considerably lighter than my 460 Rancher.  Both had an 18" bar.

Neither of the Husqvarna dealers had a 550-XP in stock, but am starting to lean more that way as my current saw has been so reliable over the years.

I've also got to decide between a 16" and 18" bar.  What does everyone recommend?  All I'll be doing with this saw is bucking white oak firewood.

Also does anyone have experience with the Echo CS-501P saw?  It's supposed to be pretty light, how does it compare to the other two?
View Quote
It is actually the lightest of the 50cc saws. It is a good saw, but it has to be sent off and ported to be a great saw. My ported 4910/501P chassis saw makes just slightly more power than a factory stock 550 XP mkII on the same dyno.

I love my Echos, but they all need to be uncorked to keep up with the other pro saws.
Link Posted: Today 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Started using my dad's 290 Farm Boss last year.  20 years old or so.  Nothing to compare it to, but it starts, runs, and it was his.
Link Posted: Today 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
It is actually the lightest of the 50cc saws. It is a good saw, but it has to be sent off and ported to be a great saw. My ported 4910/501P chassis saw makes just slightly more power than a factory stock 550 XP mkII on the same dyno.

I love my Echos, but they all need to be uncorked to keep up with the other pro saws.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I’ve had a soft spot in my heart for Echos since the ‘90s.  My grand father had one that had to have been 40 years old or more.  Have no idea the model but we cut a lot of wood with it.  Fired up the first pull of the rope every time and ran like a sewing machine.  All he ever put in the bar oil reservoir was used motor oil out of his tractors.
Link Posted: Today 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I always am glad I am east coast in a chainsaw discussion. A 20" bar will do 90% of all the work we ever need.  I have a 24" bar but only used it once on my Timberwolf.

My son in law is from Oregon and I went out there for the wedding, I learned real quick why he called all our trees small.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Probably out west in softwoods.
View Quote

My brother is a contract hand cutter in Western Oregon. His standard everyday saw is a 500i with a 32" ES light bar. He also packs a spare 500i with a 48" bar for bigger wood and an extra 60" bar and a 24" bar.  At times he runs the an 881 magnum on old growth with the bigger bars but my understanding is it just wears you out unless its really necessary. The largest bar in his pickup last i saw was 72". Along with a pile of wedges and hydraulic jacks.

Cut for 6.5 hours straight then go home and run the chain sharpener every night. You never sharpen chains in the field it's a waste of time. Just swap it and keep cutting.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:
Went by several dealers to handle the Stihl MS-261 and the Husqvarna 550 XP in person.  One of the local Stihl dealers had both the regular 261 and the 261 CM.  They both felt nice in hand, being considerably lighter than my 460 Rancher.  Both had an 18” bar.

I’ve also got to decide between a 16” and 18” bar.  What does everyone recommend?  All I’ll be doing with this saw is bucking white oak firewood.

Also does anyone have experience with the Echo CS-501P saw?  It’s supposed to be pretty light, how does it compare to the other two?
View Quote

If you’re only going to have one then go with the 18in.
You can always buy an extra if you want.    I run a 16in on my 550 because I like the performance but I have other saws.
   No experience with that Echo saw, but they make good products
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top