Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/14/2024 11:28:24 PM EDT
I’m in the market for a new saw and am thinking I would prefer one of the Stihl Pro Grade saws, however I’m having a difficult time telling which models are the home owner saws vs the professional.

One of the models I’m particularly interested in is the MS 194-CE.  It looks as if it’s top handled brother, the MS 194-T is in the pro grade category, but can’t get a handle on if the two share all the same internals or not.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ulster] [#1]
Stihl won't start...  I read that comment in the last chainsaw thread and thought it was funny.

Here's a serious answer.

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/downloads/Chain-Saw-Comparison-Chart.pdf

I've got a 260 Pro, and I believe one main difference is a compression relief button for starting.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
They have a link on their website to their Professional models.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the "T" designation is for their tree specific saws. They typically have a dedicated tie in point on the saw as well as some other minor additions.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Here’s a chart breakdown of Stihl’s models.  

The 194ce is listed in their storm clean up category, which is like their semi pro series.  Just one step below full professional.  For what it’s worth 90% of fire trucks going up and down the road run saws in this category and have next to no issue with saws in this category.  I trust them.  I wouldn’t rule them out.  

https://cdnassets.stihlusa.com/1670862913-2023-chainsaw-comparison.pdf?_gl=1
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]

But still has the absolute worst on/off mechanism.  Who the fuck decided off was up is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
Here’s a chart breakdown of Stihl’s models.  

The 194ce is listed in their storm clean up category, which is like their semi pro series.  Just one step below full professional.  For what it’s worth 90% of fire trucks going up and down the road run saws in this category and have next to no issue with saws in this category.  I trust them.  I wouldn’t rule them out.  

https://cdnassets.stihlusa.com/1670862913-2023-chainsaw-comparison.pdf?_gl=1
View Quote

That’s awesome, thank you sir!
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What are you planning to do with the saw ?  
That 194 is basically a pruning/arborist saw ( technically part of their farm line)
It isn’t a bad saw for little stuff but do yourself a favor and get something a touch bigger if this is an only saw.  

For a Stihl the MS 261 is a 50cc saw that has twice the power and less than 3 lbs heavier.   It is a pro saw.
 The Husqvarna 550xp is my preference for a 50cc pro saw but either of those two are great for general firewood cutting and work fine with 16-20in bars.    
This site is always stuck on Stihl but the XP line from Husqvarna  are just as good if not better.    I have both for whatever that’s worth
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JHMC79] [#9]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

But still has the absolute worst on/off mechanism.  Who the fuck decided off was up is beyond me.
View Quote

Think I’ve got my list narrowed down to either the MS 261 or the MS 194-CE.  I’ve read so many great things about the 261 but am temped by the less than 8lbs of the 194.

I’ll be replacing a Husqvarna 460 Rancher with a 24” bar.  It’s an awesome beast but heavy as hell.  All I do with it anymore is saw firewood with a max diameter of less than 14”.  Running the Rancher most of the day yesterday has got my tendonitis flared up in my left arm.  Hoping a lighter saw will be easier to run all day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I sold my 261 for a 550xp and don’t regret it one bit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mc556:
That 194 is basically a pruning/arborist saw ( technically part of their farm line)
It isn’t a bad saw for little stuff but do yourself a favor and get something a touch bigger if this is an only saw.  

For a Stihl the MS 261 is a 50cc saw that has twice the power and less than 3 lbs heavier.   It is a pro saw.
 The Husqvarna 550xp is my preference for a 50cc pro saw but either of those two are great for general firewood cutting and work fine with 16-20in bars.    
This site is always stuck on Stihl but the XP line from Husqvarna  are just as good if not better.    I have both for whatever that’s worth
View Quote

That’s good to know about the 550xp.  I love my 460 Rancher, just looking for something lighter in weight.  I bought it used about 16 years ago and other than a new chain, gas and bar oil, have never had do anything maintenance wise to it.  It runs perfectly from the first pull of the crank every time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:

Think I’ve got my list narrowed down to either the MS 261 or the MS 194-CE.  I’ve read so many great things about the 261 but am temped by the less than 8lbs of the 194.

I’ll be replacing a Husqvarna 460 Rancher with a 24” bar.  It’s an awesome beast but heavy as hell.  All I do with it anymore is saw firewood with a max diameter of less than 14”.  Running the Rancher most of the day yesterday has got my tendonitis flared up in my left arm.  Hoping a lighter saw will be easier to run all day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don’t care for heavy saws myself l, but keep one thing in mind.   That little 194 at 1.9hp isn’t going to cut wood very fast.  The 50cc class pro saws are at 4hp and not much more weight with a 16in bar.    
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I run a treecare and wildcard fire mitigation company.  We run all 3 orange saws and I can tell you that the husky saws hold up better. The 550 is our most used saw and they are great.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By opti12206:
I believe the "T" designation is for their tree specific saws. They typically have a dedicated tie in point on the saw as well as some other minor additions.
View Quote

I was under the impression the T denoted a top-handle saw, for in-tree work
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:06:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbonator] [#15]
The best lightest saw you can get that fits your needs.

I love my stihl.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Think I've got my list narrowed down to either the MS 261 or the MS 194-CE.  I've read so many great things about the 261 but am temped by the less than 8lbs of the 194.

I'll be replacing a Husqvarna 460 Rancher with a 24" bar.  It's an awesome beast but heavy as hell.  All I do with it anymore is saw firewood with a max diameter of less than 14".  Running the Rancher most of the day yesterday has got my tendonitis flared up in my left arm.  Hoping a lighter saw will be easier to run all day.
View Quote
Stihls do vibrate a bit different than husky.

I can run dad's Johnny red way longer than comparable stihl saw.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a MS362 which is about 12 years old, with a 25' bar it's gotten a bit heavy for bucking wood all day.  

I just picked up a MS 261 C-M with a 20 " bar.  

It has the new Stihl M-Tronic engine management system which compenasates for elevation, temperature and has a new way of starting, but it's a joy to use.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:54:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a pair of MS 261s that I have used to fell and buck hundreds of trees. Most of these are pine and birch with some cottonwood. Great saw, highly recommend. Easy to keep running, heavy in all the right ways, not so heavy that you immediately become fatigued. Chainsawing is dangerous. Chainsawing with too little a saw can also be dangerous. Fighting the saw which leads to fatigue also makes it dangerous, you are just more likely to make mistakes. The Stihls have features which make them easier to use, despite the weight. They don't shake you to death, for example.

Get the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener. Whenever you add gas and oil, sharpen the blade. Keep it running sharpish is way better than trying to run it dull. The 261 weighs enough that with a sharp blade the weight of the saw is enough to provide most of the cutting force when bucking. The blade length can handle almost everything.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I'd want an 8 pound saw if I was limbing or bucking tiny trees. I actually have one of the old Stihl arborists. I never use it, the 261 just does everything faster and better. I don't go up trees and drop limbs fwiw, which is where a lighter saw shines. Weight, within reason, is an asset when sawing. I find the 261 about perfect for everything, but in 20 years, I may want a lighter saw. I only notice it when I'm bent over bucking for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Its actually pretty easy to tell.  If its marked "Stihl" anywhere on the saw, its consumer grade.  If its marked "Husqvarna" or "XP", then its a pro grade saw.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Anybody have a recommendation for helmets? Eyepro is hard to source for me with prescription glasses, so something with a face shield and earpro would be fantastic. Just picked up an MS271 on Friday.

(Use is home/hunting camp and storm cleanup)
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:36:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Buy a Sthil 500i and pair it with an ES Light bar of whatever length you need, and it will likely handle anything you run into.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Anybody have a recommendation for helmets? Eyepro is hard to source for me with prescription glasses, so something with a face shield and earpro would be fantastic. Just picked up an MS271 on Friday.

View Quote

I use something like this...
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

That’s my main gripe with Stihls. Plus the recessed oil and gas caps that trap dust and debris.
I like Stihl and Huskies. My pro saws cut above their weight class with a good sharp chain. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

View Quote

I just bought two of theses. Better than my Stihl and Husqvarna helmets which broke within a week of each other. And more comfortable.
Amazon Product
  • \ud83c\udf32\u3010COMPLETE FOREST EQUIPMENT\u30116-in-1 Forestry Helmet Kit includes ABS hard hat, adjustable/removable earmuffs 31 dB SNR , mesh visor, anti-fogging eyewear, cooled helmet liner and portable drawstring bag. The helmet is fully compliant with ANSI Z89.1-2014 Type I Class C compliant; the face shield and goggles are ANSI Z87.1-2015 compliant. With this equipment you have full protection for your head, face, eyes and ears, ensuring that you can accomplish any task on the job without stress.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By opti12206:
View Quote
T is for top handle models.  For tree climbers.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I have a MS362 which is about 12 years old, with a 25' bar it's gotten a bit heavy for bucking wood all day.  

I just picked up a MS 261 C-M with a 20 " bar.  

It has the new Stihl M-Tronic engine management system which compenasates for elevation, temperature and has a new way of starting, but it's a joy to use.
View Quote
I have a 462.  Love it.  Probably too much saw for OP, but it's only ~0.5lb heavier than a 362.

Thing rips.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#28]
The small pro grade Stihl models are the 151 and 201. They can be rear handle or top handle depending on how it’s going to be used.

I’d take an Echo 2511 over a 194. Once muffler modded and retuned, it’s a lot of saw for the size.

The 261 is the best 50cc pro saw out now. Can’t go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mc556:

View Quote

Yep. The 550XP is the best 50cc saw you can buy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 346ci:
The small pro grade Stihl models are the 151 and 201. They can be rear handle or top handle depending on how it’s going to be used.

I’d take an Echo 2511 over a 194. Once muffler modded and retuned, it’s a lot of saw for the size.

The 261 is the best 50cc pro saw out now. Can’t go wrong with it.
View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 5:57:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nuke1] [#31]
Consider the chain also.
Looks like the 194 has a 3/8" PM3
- This is a thinner chain to allow lower power saws to cut without bogging as much.
I prefer a .325" RM3 or a 3/8" RS3
WHICH CHAIN IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
My saws:
My first Stihl was the 034 Super (late 1990s?) which was a pro saw back in the day. It still runs great today but it's heavy.
- MS250 - Firewood saw, lighter, works good for smaller Dia wood.
With the 034 and 250 you need to know how to start a Stihl which has never been a problem for me.
-MS170 bought it for limbing and yard clean up. Easy to start, works ok but I wouldn't cut a cord of wood with it.
MS261- This is the saw I should have bought after the 034, light/good power to weight ratio.

My experience is limited to homeowner use cutting and heating with wood for about 15 years, some of which came from my few/6 acres of woods.
If I could only have one it would be the 261.

Concerning starting a Stihl, if you're an occasional user, do yourself a favor and use ethanol free gas (search Sonoco for locations that sell it) and Stihl oil. It seems the guys who use them daily can get away with ethanol gas and any oil but comparing the price of a 261 to using better oil and gas it doesn't make sense for a homeowner to skimp.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:19:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShadowAngel] [#32]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Its actually pretty easy to tell.  If its marked "Stihl" anywhere on the saw, its consumer grade.  If its marked "Husqvarna" or "XP", then its a pro grade saw.
View Quote

Why do people turn everything into a fucking team sport? It's just dumb.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

Wrong.
View Quote

He's not though. Not really. I have a 261 and a 550 XP. Both great saws.Use both regularly. Prefer the 261.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#35]
The 261 is what you seek.....

A 362 may also be worth a look for you, albeit it may just be extra weight your toting around.

TBH a farm boss may be a better financial expenditure, always run non ethanol premium fuel when making your mix and just run the thing, sitting is where people run into fueling issues.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I carry a MS271 “Farm Boss” for just general work. Starts right up with in a couple pulls. That’s all I want. I also have an Echo that was given to me. It’s a piece of trash and is what they sell to fools at the local hardware store. My next saw will be a Husky.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:12:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usp4u] [#37]
Just an FYI, OP....

The 550XP makes .5hp more than your 460 and is 2lbs lighter.

That saw with 20" will rip and feel super light compared to your 460 w/24"

The 550XP is on sale on the Husq site right now for $600

*edit, I see someone else has mentioned the 550 as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#38]
We need more fuel injected saws, dump the carbs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

@JHMC79

Get an 18" or 20" bar on your 460 and make sure your chains are sharp and not the shitty safety type.

That will lighten your saw, increase your chain speed and may have a positive impact on vibration levels.

I would do that way before spending hundreds or more on a new saw. And if you don't like it, you can then sell it on.

I am 47 now and the weight of my saws is less of an issue to my shoulders and arms than the vibrations and gripping.

Doing simple sectioning on the ground or on a "safe" tree causes far less strain than felling or sectioning when the tree is under tension.  Subconsciously, I realize I grip far tighter when doing the more dangerous cuts and it really hits my forearms.

Food for thought.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:33:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#40]
This is white oak and sweet gum I cut in the last week and a half with my 562XP with 20" bar. Especially the sweet gum, but some of the white oak was well over 20". The sweet gum wore me out a bit, though it was my first time cutting in about a year. Very much jumping into the deep end with no warm up.  By the last day I was cutting, I wasn't nearly as sore afterwards.  

Sweet Gum

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Firewood (mostly oak)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: there is still about triple that amount of oak wood stacked in the pics to harvest and transport from the property it fell on....  I should be set for firewood for a while.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#41]
www.husquvarna.com
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#42]

That’s awesome, thank you sir!
View Quote

I picked up a 661 last year and would highly recommended it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#43]
I have been plenty happy with my MS261 that I’ve had for about 4 years.

It replaced a Husqvarna that I ran for close to 25 years.

It’s light and handy with a 16” bar but has enough power to run a 20” bar.

I would buy it again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 50-140:

View Quote

But when it gets old, kiss DIY diagnosis goodbye and you're at the mercy of the dealer for parts. I'll take an old school carb any day of the week.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#45]
My 261 has been one of the best all around saws I’ve ever had.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

Wrong.
View Quote

You suggest a saw with nearly identical power but close to a pound heavier?

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo all make great saws.  

Pick one of their higher end saws and be happy.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:18:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Anonymoose1] [#48]
Originally Posted By 346ci:

You suggest a saw with nearly identical power but close to a pound heavier?

View Quote

Indeed. As will many others.
The stop switch is oriented correctly on the 550, and the front handle is also metal.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Arfcom is shifting its affection away from Stihl lol.  The Stihl bitching thread a little bit back did it.  Strange how social media can influence people.  Six months ago almost no one ragged on Stihl now they’re the cool kid to hate.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Husqvarna
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top