Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
When video of that meteor a few years ago in Russia made its way around, my thought was:  note to self.  If you see a bright flash and an explosion from far away, get the hell away from windows right now to avoid glass shards in your eyes, or worse.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Destroyed in Seconds- Chemical Plant Explosion

Tianjin Explosion: Another View
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Individual's reaction underscore the difference in men and women. Men were incredibly more controlled in the aftermath. The screaming and crying of females was as shrill as the alarms. The father grabbing his child, turning his back to the blast, then putting the child under a table is an example of reason versus feelings; calm versus hysteria. Such demonstrates the inherent danger of placing women in combat or high stress areas.

Picture are worth a thousand words or shrieks.
View Quote

True.  Some of the shrieking would cause one to think sudden traumatic amputation of something had just occurred, as opposed to a female being scared.  However, I have seen the latter reaction to sudden events, and the shrieking rather than the actual event is what inspired the most anxiety in me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When video of that meteor a few years ago in Russia made its way around, my thought was:  note to self.  If you see a bright flash and an explosion from far away, get the hell away from windows right now to avoid glass shards in your eyes, or worse.
View Quote

You're not going to get a lot of Click, Like and Subscribe with that sissy attitude, mister.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're not going to get a lot of Click, Like and Subscribe with that sissy attitude, mister.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be sorry when the nukes fly and I have intact sunglasses.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did they ever find the 30 tons of ammonium nitrate that went missing from the train cars this summer in the US southwest?
View Quote

Sorry, what?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One can never be sorry when he's got more subscribers!
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did they ever find the 30 tons of ammonium nitrate that went missing from the train cars this summer in the US southwest?
View Quote

No, because it leaked out of the car throughout the trip.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't they come to the conclusion that the car doors were able to open and spill the ammonia nitrate.
View Quote

Yes, it was a leaking gate on a hopper car.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quantity doesn't matter in theory.  But when it has happened in history large quantities have been involved.  The issue is the heat necessary to reach critical decomposition. In large quantities and in stores where other flammable materials are present, it is much easier to generate the necessary conditions.  Prilled ammonium nitrate is very stable. I wouldn't say they have been known to KB without much effort, in all historical cases there have been serious fire events on going which was the main driver.

There are tons of technical papers and tests that have been conducted on yields of nitrate based fertilizers. The details of those reactions and actions needed to get those reactions are well understood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1:30 - 2:00  Sure looks like fireworks near the point of explosion, then in the building next door to the person filming.

Fireworks or cluster bombs

If cluster bombs they would have been part of a shipment inside the building, as thats where the pops were coming from.

If truly an An explosion where did the fuel come from? And how much was added to cause that big of a badaboom?

Did they use firehoses hooked to a diesel tank instead of a fire hydrant?

So many questions

The ammonium nitrate was the "fuel" for the explosion.  You do not need fuel oil or similar to get an explosive yield out of ammonium nitrate. Similar events have occurred several times throughout history with nitrate based fertilizers.

I've read that AN can become more sensitive in large quantities (like tons).  The article that I read said nobody knows why, but it has been demonstrated in multiple large scale accidents.

In normal quantities, like a 50 lb bag, AN would need to be mixed with a sensitizing agent, then often needs a booster charge in addition to a blasting cap.

However, big piles of plain AN have been known to KB without much effort.

Quantity doesn't matter in theory.  But when it has happened in history large quantities have been involved.  The issue is the heat necessary to reach critical decomposition. In large quantities and in stores where other flammable materials are present, it is much easier to generate the necessary conditions.  Prilled ammonium nitrate is very stable. I wouldn't say they have been known to KB without much effort, in all historical cases there have been serious fire events on going which was the main driver.

There are tons of technical papers and tests that have been conducted on yields of nitrate based fertilizers. The details of those reactions and actions needed to get those reactions are well understood.

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the info.

And screen name checks out.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why can’t phone manufacturers make it so the phone records in landscape mode when it is held upright (normal position)? Sorry man the reason you see vertical video is because that is how you use your phone the majority of the time. Not everyone is as smart as you.
View Quote

Motorola (or at least the one I have) does this. Hold it vertical you get a horizontal video.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Relax, I'm sure the FBI knows exactly where it is...
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
"The movement shed light on Israel's impossible situation along its border with Lebanon, which bristles with as many as 150,000 rockets and missiles pointed at Israel."

How Iran and Hezbollah trapped Israel into staring down 150,000 rockets

All of that was to be used for rocket engines.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Agreed on Mr What the Actual Fuck being hilarious
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1:30 - 2:00  Sure looks like fireworks near the point of explosion, then in the building next door to the person filming.

Fireworks or cluster bombs

If cluster bombs they would have been part of a shipment inside the building, as thats where the pops were coming from.

If truly an An explosion where did the fuel come from? And how much was added to cause that big of a badaboom?

Did they use firehoses hooked to a diesel tank instead of a fire hydrant?

So many questions

The ammonium nitrate was the "fuel" for the explosion.  You do not need fuel oil or similar to get an explosive yield out of ammonium nitrate. Similar events have occurred several times throughout history with nitrate based fertilizers.

I've read that AN can become more sensitive in large quantities (like tons).  The article that I read said nobody knows why, but it has been demonstrated in multiple large scale accidents.

In normal quantities, like a 50 lb bag, AN would need to be mixed with a sensitizing agent, then often needs a booster charge in addition to a blasting cap.

However, big piles of plain AN have been known to KB without much effort.

@ag04blast
Thank you for this post. I mean it.

Wish we had more of these types of comments here.

Just refreshing when people aren't calling each other names. And instead spreading knowledge.

America needs more of this.

Please post more. I'm often sarcastic but genuinely mean this.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
The West, TX, fertilizer explosion was much smaller but still devastating.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I worked for Honeywell and the they had a new TDC 3000 DCS system installed prior to the blast. They didn't have clue how to run it. I spent 9 months rebuilding the Port Neal plant and assisted with the install of a Triconix safety shutdown system. They should have had the    SSS before any of the control system upgrades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Neal_fertilizer_plant_explosion
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  I worked for Honeywell and the they had a new TDC 3000 DCS system installed prior to the blast. They didn't have clue how to run it. I spent 9 months rebuilding the Port Neal plant and assisted with the install of a Triconix safety shutdown system. They should have had the    SSS before any of the control system upgrades.

View Quote

All that experience and you don't know how to hotlink?  

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top