User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it Osage Orange?
View Quote
No. I haven't seen any osage orange walking staffs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
@ Smashy

Notches in the shaft below the tangs of the point.  Crisscrosses from the point tangs to notches on the opposite side of the shaft.  As the sinew dries, the point is pulled tighter into the shaft's clevis.  I'll try to remember to take some pics when I get home.  (My piddling is noting like your fine work.)

I have some theories about the evolution of base styles from clovis to woodland relating to hafting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@ Smashy

Notches in the shaft below the tangs of the point.  Crisscrosses from the point tangs to notches on the opposite side of the shaft.  As the sinew dries, the point is pulled tighter into the shaft's clevis.  I'll try to remember to take some pics when I get home.  (My piddling is noting like your fine work.)

I have some theories about the evolution of base styles from clovis to woodland relating to hafting.
View Quote
Okay, I know what you mean (I thought you meant notches like I put on the club for grip). That's something I haven't tried yet, not sure how well it would work. I'll have to decide which spear I want to use to experiment with that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Well shit that is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm jelly of your knapping skills. Very nice.

I'm barely past getting a rifle flint or small, triangle bird point knapped out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm barely past getting a rifle flint or small, triangle bird point knapped out.
View Quote
I don't knap them, I buy them. Disclaimer is in the OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Try obsidian
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a Lost Lake type I found that had tip damage and a snapped base.  I resharpened the tip and formed the base in something like a Quad.  I made it and some others for a Boy Scout Arrow of Flight ceremony.  They thought I hung the moon:

This is a sketch I made for friends explaining a theory why the clovis was made the way it was--the purpose of fluting and why there was grinding far above the base.  The grinding was so that the sinew wouldn't be cut by the blade as it dries and contracted:

IMO, hafting style further evolved into the later tanged styles like quads and lost lake that I suspect were hafted like the first pic shows.

I suspect still later, Woodland period, stemmed points were just forced into a hole in a shaft.  I suspect it was realized that a shot dart will either strike its target or not: and is likely to break whether it hits bone, or hits a tree, ground, rock, etc if the target is missed.   i.e. Why go through all the trouble to haft with sinew and seal it if it's so likely to break?  I suspect this not-hafting technology is what displaced archaic people from major rivers.

BTW, I noticed the bases of woodland points I found in a particular place  would have bases with widths within ~1mm of each other.  A sort of standardization.  Evidence of an advancement of weaponology perhaps.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is a Lost Lake type I found that had tip damage and a snapped base.  I resharpened the tip and formed the base in something like a Quad.  I made it and some others for a Boy Scout Arrow of Flight ceremony.  They thought I hung the moon:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12140/20200122_155627-1244991.jpg
This is a sketch I made for friends explaining a theory why the clovis was made the way it was--the purpose of fluting and why there was grinding far above the base.  The grinding was so that the sinew wouldn't be cut by the blade as it dries and contracted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12140/20190308_110419-1244989.jpg
IMO, hafting style further evolved into the later tanged styles like quads and lost lake that I suspect were hafted like the first pic shows.

I suspect still later, Woodland period, stemmed points were just forced into a hole in a shaft.  I suspect it was realized that a shot dart will either strike its target or not: and is likely to break whether it hits bone, or hits a tree, ground, rock, etc if the target is missed.   i.e. Why go through all the trouble to haft with sinew and seal it if it's so likely to break?  I suspect this not-hafting technology is what displaced archaic people from major rivers.

BTW, I noticed the bases of woodland points I found in a particular place  would have bases with widths within ~1mm of each other.  A sort of standardization.  Evidence of an advancement of weaponology perhaps.
View Quote
That looks pretty well done. When I find the right point for it I'll experiment with that and hope I don't bugger it up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I sure like finding points!!!  Someday maybe I'll try and haft some.  Nice!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
What are you tying it up with? Ligaments?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What are you tying it up with? Ligaments?
View Quote
Sinew.

This axe was originally intended to be a wood chopper, but it's too lightweight for that. It would be fine for making kindling, but it's light and swings pretty fast, so it would make a better weapon.

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, I want that axe!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow, I want that axe!
View Quote
Sorry, not for sale.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#17]
French/European model.

Municion L.M.P. 1889: Paris Commune to Spanish Civil War
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
French/European model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLjXYKfUYA
View Quote
har har
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#19]
[/url]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a bit of an accident with this one. After it was finished I had it oustide on the driveway. I dropped it nose down on the pavement and the point broke off. Although the end that's left is still small and sharp enough that I think it would still go through a deer or other critter. No armadillos, though.

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Thats awesome work!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thats awesome work!
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Just a little preview of another one in the works.

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]
WEAPONS OF WAR DO  NOT BELONG ON OUR STREETS
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool stuff!

I always remember my cousins going arrowhead hunting. They had a huge collection.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Suddenly I really want an obsidian AR with all the chip marks.

I think it would look pretty neat with some hand carved wood furniture.

ETA: Your work is nothing short of amazing, Smashy. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#31]
What is your pitch blend?  Resin, fat and charcoal ?  I have some we use on bark baskets and a canoe?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is your pitch blend?  Resin, fat and charcoal ?  I have some we use on bark baskets and a canoe?
View Quote
I used to use pine resin, charcoal, sawdust, and beeswax. But I don't make it anymore because I don't have time to go out and find more resin. I bought the stuff I use now from Thunderbird Atlatl. It has natural ingredients and it's pretty strong.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Agreed
They belong in our hands!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed
They belong in our hands!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#34]
And a few more waiting their turn in line.

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Very interesting, thanks for posting.
How hard is it to break a spear point?
It seems a spear like that would penetrate animal flesh easy unless it his a large bone.
I met a guy a few years ago that made spear tips like that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I shot a deer years ago with a stone point a buddy made and attached to an arrow for me. It penetrated the right side of his rib cage and stuck out about a foot thru the left side and broke off. The tip of the point had about 1/4” broken off. The ribs were broken/chipped on both sides. My buddy said he’d found original points that looked like they had been broken off and napped back to a useable point. It’s somewhere around if I can find it I’ll post a pic
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How hard is it to break a spear point?
View Quote
It's basically a piece of stone that can be broken by whacking it with another stone (knapping), so it would seem to be a bit fragile. But I dropped that one nose down (at an angle) on the pavement and all that broke off was the little bit at the tip. So that one at least proved to be pretty sturdy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#39]
My brother in FL is big into this. He makes some nice points but he hasn't really gotten into attaching them to handles and making knives and such.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I nominate Smashy to be our weapons officer for WW IV.  It will be a new green war with sustainable, eco-friendly non-polluting weaponry.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Bone point for an atlatl dart. Took a while to get a decent edge on it but it's pretty sharp now.
View Quote
Cool.

How does the atlatl compare to a bow in the penetration department?  I assume an atlatl dart is way heavier, but slower than a bow?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How does the atlatl compare to a bow in the penetration department?  I assume an atlatl dart is way heavier, but slower than a bow?
View Quote
I don't know, I've never compared them. I get around a foot or so when throwing at hay bales, but I don't know how that would translate to an animal.

A few years ago this guy took a 15 point buck, he said he got 11 inches of penetration. Obviously enough to do the job.

Attachment Attached File

A couple of years later this lady did well enough with one of her darts.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: George Frison killed an elephant with a large atlatl and dart.

@makintrax73
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't have any rawhide. I tried to use some from a dog chew a while ago but it didn't turn out  well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do you get the rawhide?  I want some for tomahawk projects.
I don't have any rawhide. I tried to use some from a dog chew a while ago but it didn't turn out  well.
What are you wrapping the point to the shaft with?

Edit, answered.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#45]
And I'm seeing too from your "experiments" that the stone point is not the valuable, hard to acquire part, it's the shaft. Whether an arrow(which would have to have a really straight, proper shaft) or a spear, the shaft is the hard part.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And I'm seeing too from your "experiments" that the stone point is not the valuable, hard to acquire part, it's the shaft. Whether an arrow(which would have to have a really straight, proper shaft) or a spear, the shaft is the hard part.
View Quote
It is. But I found a source of the good ones I can get in slightly larger diameters to fit some of the bigger heads and not have any lacquer applied or holes drilled. That will save me some work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I should add some atlatls to a stone age weapon thread.

Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#48]
I picked up a couple of new shafts today.

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I remember seeing this documentary on PBS or one of those type stations a few years ago.
They found a bison skull with a stone point stuck in it, so apparently they penetrate bone pretty well.
https://forums.arrowheads.com/media/kunena/attachments/835/disk_two_040-600x450.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/aa/65/75aa6563a1a12b62f841d75a0282afc6.jpg
View Quote
Now that's cool
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top