Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to see destructive testing on these spears.

I know it sounds terrible to want to break things this nice, but we know historically that they were effective.  I've always wondered about reuse.  It's a LOT of labor to end up being single use.  I'd love to see how they hold up against misses (rocks, dirt, gravel, etc.) and against flesh/bone.

Rocks and gravel are easy to get.  We can get bodies from the Texas HTF.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm also fiddling around with the possibility of making a bamboo knife. Not sure how well that will work out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a sturdy cane today. I'll make it into a short fighting weapon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I acquired some nice pieces of cholla cactus.

I have some plans in the works to make a few of them into some pretty savage weapons.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know it sounds terrible to want to break things this nice, but we know historically that they were effective.  I've always wondered about reuse.  It's a LOT of labor to end up being single use.  I'd love to see how they hold up against misses (rocks, dirt, gravel, etc.) and against flesh/bone.

View Quote

I don't really want to destroy something after putting in all the work to make it. If I had a shop and could churn them out on automated machines, maybe. But making them by hand takes a lot of time and effort.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Paleowolf - Age of the Wolf (Official video)

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That looks like a really cool skinning knife
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@Downtrodden
I just ordered a copy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smashy, you ever read/listen to the nonfiction Atlas of a Lost World?  It's definetly up your ally

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0307908658/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_DepCEbMHM0164

@Downtrodden
I just ordered a copy.

@Smashy I know you'll love it!
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know you'll love it!
View Quote

I might get some helpful ideas from it. I'm putting together a sort of stone age bug out bag, or maybe a daypack would be a better description. An animal skin bag a stone age hunter would use to carry weapons/survival tools when out n' about for a couple of days at a time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to make a point of revisiting this thread in a few months when I can use it...

About a month ago I decided that I wanted to learn flintknapping as a hobby. So far I've managed to turn about 10 pounds of rock into gravel and razor sharp flakes. I've also managed to make a couple little arrowheads (sort of) and what sort of looks like a spearpoint.

The spearpoint is too thick (thinning out stone while knapping it can be a challenge,) the edges are too rough, and it's not all that symmetrical... But I figure it's a promising start.

Attachment Attached File

When I can make something decent I plan on making arrows, knives, and spears with them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm going to make a point of revisiting this thread in a few months when I can use it...

About a month ago I decided that I wanted to learn flintknapping as a hobby. So far I've managed to turn about 10 pounds of rock into gravel and razor sharp flakes. I've also managed to make a couple little arrowheads (sort of) and what sort of looks like a spearpoint.

The spearpoint is too thick (thinning out stone while knapping it can be a challenge,) the edges are too rough, and it's not all that symmetrical... But I figure it's a promising start.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89504/Spear_point__2__jpg-1561121.JPG

When I can make something decent I plan on making arrows, knives, and spears with them.
View Quote

Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#15]
That spear looks wicked.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#16]
This one is strictly a fighting weapon, not a utility knife or anything else.

Pretty much only intended for slashing and ripping your enemy to pieces when he breaks into your cave and tries to steal your woman.

The first picture is how it looked when I started.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Back about 2012 a guy was selling "Cave Man" rocks on eBay.
Nothing but plain old rocks as kind of gag gifts.
I figured I would one-up him, and started selling rocks from my back yard with things like broken scopes, and chinese flip-up sights epoxied on them.
Called them Cave man AR rocks (Assault rocks).
Sold a couple, eBay got wind of it, and closed my account for 30 days....for selling assault weapons
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]
After figuring out some aging/antiquing techniques that I first tried on my mammoth spear, I've started going back over earlier weapons I've made and using the same methods on them. I think they look a lot better afterwards. I'm planning to take apart that axe I made last year and rebuild it with a more primitive/ancient look. It looks too neat and 'perfect' the way it is now.

But for now, here are a couple of my early spears that I reworked a little bit over the last couple of days. Much better I think.

My family keeps trying to convince me to start selling these things.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Do it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Very Cool
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Op username is fitting
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Op username is fitting
View Quote

I like it better than my real name.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Let's see the entire collection!
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Let's see the entire collection!
View Quote

That will take a little while. I'm working on a couple of other items at the moment as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Bone dagger.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Very cool thread
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Very cool thread
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#30]
A stone age hunter's kit, ready for a few days on the trail.

I know it's not perfect, really just a starting point. I'll continue to improve it as I go. A work in progress.

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
For the reasons you suggest, I suspect 'points' from Clovis time through lost lake times were almost always knives; not projectiles.  Bone was used for projectile tips.  

Later, stone projectile points came with stemmed points; no notches.  The width of the stems were sized to fit snugly in a hollow bone.  Otherwise no hafting.  They would have worked fine piercing flesh so the momentum of the spear or atlatl dart could push it deep.  To hold a point in this way would take nothing like the effort to haft a point on the end of a shaft.  A single dart might be used multiple times by  pulling the bone end off the shaft, quickly replacing a broken point by pushing the remaining snapped base out and replacing it with a new blade, remounting the bone end on the shaft--in seconds.  

Later, much later, when the bow was invented, smaller notched points reappeared and were hafted.  Probably the old stem-in-hole method of mounting was too heavy for an arrow.  
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top