Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2024 7:49:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ad_nauseam]

The point is to prevent things like this, that was an interesting learning experience from other's mistakes. It is a gross security and privacy violation.

If they subpoena google for location, they provide it en masse as Gulag tracks you to within a few meters as the above pic shows.

How to prevent this?

I followed the items listed here (It is for 13, I am running Android 12 and 14) but also thinking about going above and beyond and logging out from google on devices.

https://www.androidpolice.com/how-to-disable-google-location-tracking/

Is it enough to remove one's google account from the device? So that there is no google account linked to your device? Is it really that simple?

Disable location services for google? I realize that will break google maps. What is the total and correct algorithm?  I don't think I need google on a device, period, I can use GPS for maps and check gmail on desktop if I have to. All the apps I need it I have installed. Do I have to go through each app one by one to disable location permissions?

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The only sure way is to not have the device with you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#2]
This is not an option in the real world. Axiomatically one needs the device.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trails-end:
View Quote

A close second is to use a signal blocking bag, although they're not perfect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MontMac] [#4]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:
View Quote
Really?

I haven't had a cell phone for more than 10 years.

It all depends on your priorities.  In the real world no technology is "needed", it's just more convenient.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Double up
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Op thinks "they" will subpoena google for your location history, but won't pull your location from the cell phone companies?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

You've been brainwashed into believing that
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Faraday Bag.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Op thinks "they" will subpoena google for your location history, but won't pull your location from the cell phone companies?

View Quote

It won't. If one travels, one should have data/mobile completely disabled and only rolling in the wifi mode.   You are assuming this is for a  domestic question but it should encompass foreign ones also.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Apparently no one  above has any idea,  aside from abstractions like "You don't need a phone" and the Faraday Cage. Got it.
Whatever that signal blocking device is, it will make the device non-functional which raises the question if it's in jest since what is the point of having a device in the first place if it's signal-less.
This is bizarre since securing a device should be SOP in this day and age, we have seen how the implications of it.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:15:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NeverBlue] [#11]
LineageOS or LineageOS for microG
NoGAPPS
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Both of these are correct.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:31:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#13]
1. Buy an international mode of the samsung phone you want.
2. Backup your phone software (in case you need to reinstall it)
3. Under settings, tap software version 7 times to unlocked developer options
4. Download either LineageOS or IodeOS (both are device specific).
5. Install custom recovery, I prefer TWRP.
6. Use Odin for windows or linux to flash the 4 files to your phone. Cross your fingers that it works.

I am using LineageOS on A53 5G. You cannot unlock the bootloader on US spec samsung phones.

ETA: Why anyone would have a google account is bizarre to me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NeverBlue:
NoGAPPS
View Quote

be more specific

can one buy a pre-installed device?

Or ideally install it on my device.  I have a 'rugged' phone and want it on it instead of buying a pre-installed Pixel. Is there a list of supported hardware?

This is a bigger project.

Even then, right now I am just interested in de-googling the damn thing without rewriting the OS.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Apparently no one  above has any idea,  aside from abstractions like "You don't need a phone" and the Faraday Cage. Got it.
Whatever that signal blocking device is, it will make the device non-functional which raises the question if it's in jest since what is the point of having a device in the first place if it's signal-less.
This is bizarre since securing a device should be SOP in this day and age, we have seen how the implications of it.  
View Quote

Why do you need your device to have a signal when it's in your pocket?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#16]

be more specific

Or ideally install it on my device.  I have a 'rugged' phone and want it on it instead of buying a pre-installed Pixel. Is there a list of supported hardware?

Even then, right now I am just interested in de-googling the damn thing without rewriting the OS.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NeverBlue:
NoGAPPS

be more specific

MircoG is privacy design anti google package for enabling a lot google features.

IodeOS (forked from LineageOS) sells phone with its OS already installed.

https://shop.iode.tech/
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

lol!
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#18]
https://i.imgur.com/D0FAR44.jpeg

The point is to prevent things like this, that was an interesting learning experience from other's mistakes. It is a gross security and privacy violation.

If they subpoena google for location, they provide it en masse as Gulag tracks you to within a few meters as the above pic shows.

How to prevent this?

I followed the items listed here (It is for 13, I am running Android 12 and 14) but also thinking about going above and beyond and logging out from google on devices.

Is it enough to remove one's google account from the device? So that there is no google account linked to your device? Is it really that simple?

Disable location services for google? I realize that will break google maps. What is the total and correct algorithm?  I don't think I need google on a device, period, I can use GPS for maps and check gmail on desktop if I have to. All the apps I need it I have installed. Do I have to go through each app one by one to disable location permissions?

View Quote

Cellphones have SIM cards and IMEI numbers that are unique to them, and the location services are only disabled via a UI that does not really tell what it's doing.

Both Android and iOS were designed to individualize and track their users, and send tons of personal identifiable information not just to Google and Apple but also tons of app developers.  All in the (official) name of "targeted marketing".

Having any expectations that those things aren't tracking their users is at least naïve.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

It takes self discipline to not dick with your phone while doing something people in power think you shouldn't be doing.

It's only signal-less until you want it to have a signal. You could theoretically use the signal location to deceive the people tracking too. (Revealing location at carefully selected places)
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By farfromhome:
1. Buy an international mode of the samsung phone you want.
2. Backup your phone software (in case you need to reinstall it)
3. Under settings, tap software version 7 times to unlocked developer options
4. Download either LineageOS or IodeOS (both are device specific).
5. Install custom recovery, I prefer TWRP.
6. Use Odin for windows or linux to flash the 4 files to your phone. Cross your fingers that it works.

I am using LineageOS on A53 5G. You cannot unlock the bootloader on US spec samsung phones.

ETA: Why anyone would have a google account is bizarre to me.
View Quote

Now we are getting somewhere. Does LineageOS work on Doogee v Max?  I am getting a new one and can experiment on it as a guinee pig without risking data loss.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#21]

It won't. If one travels, one should have data/mobile completely disabled and only rolling in the wifi mode.   You are assuming this is for a  domestic question but it should encompass foreign ones also.
View All Quotes

And when you are in Wi-Fi-only mode, the device pings home with your location, connected wi-fi network name, its location, and all other stuff it's programmed to send.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#22]

It takes self discipline to not dick with your phone while doing something people in power think you shouldn't be doing.

It's only signal-less until you want it to have a signal. You could theoretically use the signal location to deceive the people tracking too. (Revealing location at carefully selected places)
View Quote

Not an option for me.  You are limiting the situation to domestic situations. But think globally.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:50:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ad_nauseam] [#23]
Originally Posted By Rossi:

And when you are in Wi-Fi-only mode, the device pings home with your location, connected wi-fi network name, its location, and all other stuff it's programmed to send.

View Quote

what exactly is "home"?

There is an article associated with the pic above -- the primary vector of attack has been asking google to give accounts present within a certain radius within a certain time frame.  
They can also do it like so - here is the account name, give us everything you know about it.

And if your phone does not have a google account associated with it, doesn't make that point irrelevant?

Say you get a new phone, or reset an existing one to factory settings and never login via google.

How does it know it's your phone, linked to you? Let's make it even simpler and say there is a new number, new SIM you never use elsewhere which nobody knows.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ske714:

View Quote

Is this a serious or a rhetorical question?

You want to receive a message and be notified when a message  comes in. Fundamentally, the only thing I need on a secured device is an app like telegram, maybe also Signal.

I want these to work and I can download them without the Android app playstore.

I need a functional device which is also not trackable, at least not easily.  It's the balance between living far in the woods, banging two rocks together in Morse code and the other extreme of living in the center of the Matrix plugged into everything.

I am now a lot closer to the epicenter of the Matrix. Like mostly everyone else around me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:10:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rossi] [#26]

what exactly is "home"?

There is an article associated with the pic above -- the primary vector of attack has been asking google to give accounts present within a certain radius within a certain time frame.  
They can also do it like so - here is the account name, give us everything you know about it.

And if your phone does not have a google account associated with it, doesn't make that point irrelevant?

Say you get a new phone, or reset an existing one to factory settings and never login via google.

How does it know it's your phone, linked to you? Let's make it even simpler and say there is a new number, new SIM you never use elsewhere which nobody knows.

View All Quotes

what exactly is "home"?

How do you activate your phone?  

Let's say you just bought a "burn phone" using cash in a location far away from your home and kept it in a Mylar or aluminum bag any time you are not actively using it, and also refrain from using it unless for emergencies.

Your cellphone provider and Google (or Apple) and app developers will still collect how you use it whenever you use it.  Data mining can tell who you are if you already have a "tail".  Will you constantly change phones (getting them at different places) and change your personal patterns (e.g. go to different places, call different people, access different Wi-Fi networks, browse different websites, use different apps, keep opening new accounts and never access older ones), etc.?

Internet browsers and service provides call "browser fingerprinting" for a reason.  The same about cellphones.

I never used the OSs mentioned by other posters.  They can work, but it's not just about hardware and software, it's also about how they are used.

ETA: Don't forget that those companies also sell all info they collect to whoever pays for them.  So, the collected info doesn't even have to be directly acquired.  This mesh is a lot more sophisticated than most think.

So, if you are just a "common and uninteresting fish" you can swim around without problems.  However, if you are "pinged", it's easier to outrun a shark.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Wasn't there a tech article a few/several years ago that did a test with a phone in different modes as well as "off"? IIRC, there were more location data markers when "off" than when on. Things may have changed since then, but I'm doubtful.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Axiomatically, you cannot use your smart phone and be completely offgrid.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#29]

You want to receive a message and be notified when a message  comes in. Fundamentally, the only thing I need on a secured device is an app like telegram, maybe also Signal.

I need a functional device which is also not trackable, at least not easily.  It's the balance between living far in the woods, banging two rocks together in Morse code and the other extreme of living in the center of the Matrix plugged into everything.

I am now a lot closer to the epicenter of the Matrix. Like mostly everyone else around me.
View All Quotes

You do realize that your phone can be tracked by your cellular connection, right?  There are exactly zero communications apps that will work on your phone and not give up your location.  If you have a connection, you are being tracked.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#30]

You do realize that your phone can be tracked by your cellular connection, right?  There are exactly zero communications apps that will work on your phone and not give up your location.  If you have a connection, you are being tracked.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

It's really kind of silly to think guys on a gun forum are going to give you bulletproof advice how to secure a device, from within the device. Faraday bag is a legit solution, you can remove it from the bag as necessary.

The real unfortunate situation is, the devices and device software are not designed with security as a chief priority, certainly WRT securing against the .gov and/or the device manufacturers and software providers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:

It's really kind of silly to think guys on a gun forum are going to give you bulletproof advice how to secure a device, from within the device. Faraday bag is a legit solution, you can remove it from the bag as necessary.

The real unfortunate situation is, the devices and device software are not designed with security as a chief priority, certainly WRT securing against the .gov and/or the device manufacturers and software providers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:

Exactly.  Many years ago the Saudis demanded Blackberry to give them a backdoor if they wanted permission to operate in that country.  Blackberry ended up conceding.  That should tell enough about all of them.

And let's not forget that Google, Apple, Microsoft, et al, helped the CCP to build the citizen monitoring system China has in place.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Let's say you just bought a "burn phone" using cash in a location far away from your home and kept it in a Mylar or aluminum bag any time you are not actively using it, and also refrain from using it unless for emergencies.

Far away sounds about right.

Your cellphone provider and Google (or Apple) and app developers will still collect how you use it whenever you use it.

And if there is no google account associated with the device at all, how would that connect me to the phone? meaning, what key would someone use to scan the user of the phone? I get it, IMEI of course pings cell phone towers.  But it still does not connect a person to it, unless some secondary key is used.
e.g. His IMEI travels with another IMEI (which is attached to a google ID) or something of that nature.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 4:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ad_nauseam] [#34]

View Quote

That much is self-evident.  The old trick of IMEI being found in logs of cell towers which predates smart phones.  

However that entails a lot more work than "Google, give me the google user IDs in this time frame and location radius".  Meaning how would a user be connected to an IMEI?

Especially  if cell towers are completely outside of one's jurisdiction on the other side of the world.

And, how would a user be connected to an app? How do they know it's you using an app they can track?  Having Gulag report your location within 1 meter accuracy is so much more convenient tracking-wise.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#35]
How about not owning a cell phone?
Think that'd put a hitch in their giddyup?

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Axiomatically, you cannot use your smart phone and be completely offgrid.
View Quote

There is a way to fine tune it and make it more resistant versus just saying hell with it and I will just use my tracking device, which is what 99.87% of people do, even on GD.

It's astounding how many are trapped in the Matrix, we live in a constitutional republic I have nothing to fear and will just use regular text messages for everything and wide open Gulag phones even after being shown alternatives and strong crypto messengers. If nothing else, this matter will get some exposure.  Deleting Gulag account off the phone seems like the first obvious step, not I am delusional it will turn the device into a Klingon cloaked and invisible device.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By hotdog250j:
How about not owning a cell phone?
Think that'd put a hitch in their giddyup?

View Quote

For me absolutely.  I couldn't earn money and pay my bills like I currently do without a cell phone.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Get a burner  g mail account,  like I did to join this site. Log into Google and do the setting / disable  location tracking. I was surprised  by the map they  displayed tracking me. This laptop  is my only device that logs into Google once every couple of months at best.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#39]
You'll probably have to root it and de-google it yourself. Doesn't look like there's any custom ROM support for that phone.

https://search.brave.com/search?q=root+Doogee+v+Max+&source=web
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:06:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ajb78:
You'll probably have to root it and de-google it yourself. Doesn't look like there's any custom ROM support for that phone.

https://search.brave.com/search?q=root+Doogee+v+Max+&source=web
View Quote

Understood.   Is there a list of supported hardware? I like these oversized 'rugged' phones with about 20K mAh capacity. Oukitel, Doogee, etc.

is there an algorithm for de-googling it?

I removed the google account on one of my test phones and will see how it works, or doesn't. Thus far no exciting fireworks.  I can't do updates. This much I know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:51:24 AM EDT
[#41]
https://i.imgur.com/D0FAR44.jpeg

How to prevent this?

View Quote

It's a cell phone.

I has to know where you are in order for it to function as a cell phone.

I am not saying give up and don't do anything.  The thing has to be able to track you well enough to hand your call off between multiple towers at highway driving speeds seamlessly - and it has to know your unique ID so I can attach your number to only that hardware ID.

Stop and noodle on that for a second.

You can (and probably should) disable all the extra tracking in the device, but that won't stop it from ... *being a cellphone.*

Regarding other problems: cameras are absolutely ubiquitous and facial recogntion is quite the thing. Walmart can even track all your cash purchases and pin them to you personally - because of the cameras at checkout. And when you drive around, automated license plate readers track your plate.

Etc.

https://atlasofsurveillance.org/

This is not counting targeted assets such as wide area motion imagery (wami) drones. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wide+area+motion+imagery+drone&t=ffab&ia=web https://longreads.com/2019/06/21/nothing-kept-me-up-at-night-the-way-the-gorgon-stare-did/

Functionally, being lost in the noise of massive data flows too big to sift and analyze with available manpower is going to be harder now too, because of the stupid AI systems.

We are in a state that is so horrible that it would make a stasi agent reconsider surveillance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#42]
adopt leftist tactics.
Aunt Teefah.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:53:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#43]

That much is self-evident.  The old trick of IMEI being found in logs of cell towers which predates smart phones.  

However that entails a lot more work than "Google, give me the google user IDs in this time frame and location radius".  Meaning how would a user be connected to an IMEI?

Especially  if cell towers are completely outside of one's jurisdiction on the other side of the world.

And, how would a user be connected to an app? How do they know it's you using an app they can track?  Having Gulag report your location within 1 meter accuracy is so much more convenient tracking-wise.
View All Quotes

A lot more work, as in having one of the programs that extracts the data.  There are programs that investigators use that give a very detailed report from cell records.  Did you watch any of the Fani Willis hearings in Ga?  They knew Nathan Wade's every move for weeks just by using one piece of software, which apparently most PD's and investigators have access to.  They wouldn't waste their time with google.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Satellite image recognition software goes brrrrrrr.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By LibertyShip:
Faraday Bag.

View Quote

You can achieve the same effect by turning off your phone.  No power, no way to report on your position.

Besides GPS, Android supposedly has a Wifi triangulation feature.  When Google had the cars driving around for the Streetview project, they captured Wifi hotspot information.  These hotspots act as location reference points.  While Google themselves doesn't use this feature, they offer it's use to outside services.  Even if Wifi is shut off on your phone, Android can turn it back on for Wifi triangulation services.  The only way to prevent this is with a physical switch to turn off Wifi.

I have seen videos on De-Googling Android phones, and this cripples their functionality severely.  In some ways it defeats the purpose of having a smart phone.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Back in the 90's during the Serbia/ Bosnia conflict a general was located by his cell number/ IMEI.  They knew he had a mistress, and when she called him they were able to establish where he was located.

Even if you are "anonymous" regarding ID's associated with apps and services, the degrees of connections you have with others can tie them back to you.  As soon as you make or receive a call, you've created a record tied to a cell switch.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

Back in the 90's during the Serbia/ Bosnia conflict a general was located by his cell number/ IMEI.  They knew he had a mistress, and when she called him they were able to establish where he was located.

Even if you are "anonymous" regarding ID's associated with apps and services, the degrees of connections you have with others can tie them back to you.  As soon as you make or receive a call, you've created a record tied to a cell switch.
View All Quotes

No call is necessary.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:
adopt leftist tactics.
Aunt Teefah.
View Quote

A real live honest to goodness neo-nazi wardrove (hacker term, IIRC) the BLM protests and had a honeypot wifi... he managed to network antifa and produced a massive association graph and put names to quite a few of them.

Maybe their tactics aren't quite so solid.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Satellite image recognition software goes brrrrrrr.
View Quote

Not necessary, and very expensive.

Hit the link on the wami drones.

@Oldgold
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#50]

No call is necessary.
View All Quotes

No call is necessary.

This.

In order for you to be able to make a call your cell has to transmit to see what towers are near it and they talk back and forth.

ETA: and if your burner is identifiable anywhere near anything at all that can be identified to you (you turn your cell on near it, you walk past a camera, an ALPR picks up your plate and that burner travelling together, etc.) the burner can be tied back to you.

Stuff like this is why people virtually knew right away that the J6 bomber thing was hinkie as all get out. We knew good and well they could find the guy. They just didn't and don't want to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top