Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2024 5:53:09 PM EDT
https://www.sciencealert.com/study-links-preference-for-loud-cars-to-some-unsurprising-personality-traits

Most of us have experienced the sudden, deafening blare of a car's modified muffler, shattering your tranquility into a million pieces as it speeds past.

If you live in a neighborhood where these disruptive sounds are familiar, it probably won't surprise you that research links a desire to own this type of car to higher levels of sadism and psychopathy.

Psychologist Julie Aitken Schermer of the University of Western Ontario in Canada analyzed over 500 people to investigate the relationship between 'dark' personality traits and a preference for loud cars with modified mufflers.

"As these exhaust modifications are both a disturbance to people and animals and are illegal in some jurisdictions… understanding who wants their vehicle to be loud is an interesting research question," Schermer wrote in Psychology Today about her pilot study.

Schermer surveyed 529 business students who had an average age of 18 years, 52 percent of whom were men. The 'car scale' asked three questions about participants' feelings towards loud cars, identification with their own cars, and the potential to modify their mufflers, with higher scores indicating a preference for loud cars.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:56:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARandomClaymore] [#1]
Fuck feelings!

Stop getting butt-hurt while driving your soulless EV below the speed limit while acting pretentious, self-righteous and pompous-assed.

You're damn right I'll bury the gas pedal to the floor in my V8, cammed, header, catless/ mufflerless exhaust!

Edit:
Come to think of it, I want your nosehairs to burn while inhaling all that raw unspent gas! Aw shit, my dark personality traits are showing!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with lowering back pressure and increasing horsepower.  Nope, people just do it to be loud and piss other, peaceful people off.

Well, ok, some do it for exactly that reason. But not all of us!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrote] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:
Fuck feelings!

Stop getting butt-hurt while driving your soulless EV below the speed limit while acting pretentious, righteous and pompous-assed.

You're damn right I'll bury the gas pedal to the floor in my cammed, header, catless/ mufflerless exhaust!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with lowering back pressure and increasing horsepower.  Nope, people just do it to be loud and piss other, peaceful people off.

View Quote

To be fair, it isn't just about performance, it is also to piss off commie cunts like the author.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck tree huggers
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a sadist. Just raised by a kickass gearhead, to be a gearhead, and I've since raised more gearheads.

These people want to genocide my entire species.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The author of that would probably get the vapours if they saw black smoke rolling out of the MBRP turbo-back on my powerstroke
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smash47] [#8]
I loved how my 77 Z28 with headers no mufflers turned out the sides under the doors sounded. Total ear rape to those next to me on cruise night.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Every fucking guy in High School wanted a muscle car with glass packs on it.
Every, single one.

Cept for the gay guy.
He rode a bicycle to school.

Dumbest article ever.

I like my shit loud.
You don't like that?  Oh, here's some more.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Who the fuck has mufflers?  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#11]
Originally Posted By R2point0:

View Quote

I've owned a lot of tuned cars, many of them with straight pipes, loud induction, etc..

I can drive around neighborhoods in a higher gear/lower revs and keep the noise down.

In this article I think they're mainly talking about people that have loud cars just to be loud and annoying as possible.

Like a fart can and too big of piping on some 1.6 SOHC Civic. Where as a smaller exhaust system would like create more horsepower. But they just want the loudness.

Same types like have subwoofers that rattle your house windows from a block away. And they'll just sit in their car at 3am talking to their girlfriend with the stereo cranked up.

Or the guy that lives near me driving a new Charger and straight pipes. And every morning has to rev the piss out of the car like he's making a dyno run.

It's all being considerate about the people around you. Doesn't mean you need to drive a silent Prius. Just means don't be an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Douchebaggery
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Psychology is gay, but using loud exhaust systems in public is super gay.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
According to Psychologist Julie Aitken Schermer
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Where do whistle tips factor into this equation
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
The turnout collector style exhaust was built to deal with minivan mom douchebaggery. Especially camping in the left lane with the speedo locked at 2MPH below the posted limit.

(BruceBanner)Don't make me pass you. You wouldn't like it if I pass you...(/Bruce)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
Psychology is gay, but using loud exhaust systems in public is super gay.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I like a nice throaty exhaust on any car.

I fucking hate assholes that put systems that cause constant backfiring when the throttle is released.  It doesn't sound good, Mr. Attention Whore.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I love unrestricted V8s in pretty much all brands and sizes. Something about that blurble at idle and scream at full throttle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
So every Harley owner is a psychopath?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#23]
I'll be the first to admit my cars exhaust I'd probably alittle on the louder side (18 zl1 with kook headers, no cats, into a borla s-type)   but there is mo drone inside the car and you can have a normal conversation but still alittle throaty when  I get on it.  

The iroc has a 4" muffler and the wifes ws6 is still rocking the factory slp loudmouth.  

But fuck.... there are SO many people (mostly dodge boys) running straight pipes.  Imo it just sounds like shit cause of all the rasp...  but then again, people these days like that raspy "popcorn" borbol bullshit sound.  And jesus...if it pops a flame out the back, they nut right there.  I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Better to have it stock quiet until it spools up.

Hard to bait people with a loud car.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
So every Harley owner is a psychopath?
View Quote

No... South Park went over what every Harley owner is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#26]
So being young is a personality trait?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
Better to have it stock quiet until it spools up.

Hard to bait people with a loud car.
View Quote

True...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#28]
What if you just like the sound and potential performance gains depending on the situation?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dru] [#29]
I live in a small town that is increasingly becoming a large town, thanks to transplants, I love the high school kids and young adults in their 60 to 80k bro-dozers driving around with loud pipes with, what some deem offensive, flags flying off the back..... Keeps the mosquitoes away!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't care what other people think.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Nothing on this planet sounds better than an RSV4 with SC Project exhaust.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#32]
How about loud chainsaws. Get yourself a McCulloch 10-10 chainsaw for one of the loudest most masculine chainsaws ever made. What is a muffler? Who gives a shit? They made that thing for performance in a time before the epa was a bunch of fagggots. Your neighbors won’t have the,”is that a weed wacker or a chainsaw?,” anymore. THEY WILL KNOW!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you think Milner or Falfa gave a s**t if people thought their pipes were "too loud?"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#34]
INSANE Takeover CRASH / FAIL Compilation | Tanner Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Please do a follow up study on rolling coal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By timeless:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By timeless:

Sickest sounding bike I've ever had.

It's a 2023 Tuono V4 Factory.

Really wanted the SC Project GP-22, but my ear ringing is getting to be a bit too much to handle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#37]
It's all about penis size
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#38]
That was written as gay and any anti gun article I’ve ever seen where the author had no idea what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By fordtuff:
What if you just like the sound and potential performance gains depending on the situation?
View Quote
According to her you are a psychopath.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#40]

My wife and daughter make a huge deal of it whenever one zips by us on the road.

The car is in and out of our lives in a matter of seconds. Why get worked up over it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#41]
So what's next? I've run Walker Mini Turbo Flows on my Miata for 16 years and I've have a pair of LaScalis that I have cranked unmercifully for the last 35. Does that mean I have squads of hot missing cheerleaders buried in the crawlspace under my house?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Global_Cooling] [#42]
Originally Posted By johnnypantz:
Who the fuck has mufflers?  

View Quote

Straight pipe V8 are the sound of freedom!

I love mine.  I should add some catless headers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#43]
That lady has dry vag syndrome.

That's the biggest bitch article I've read so far this year.

Here

69 Charger 440 Start up Open Headers
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
That lady has dry vag syndrome.

That's the biggest bitch article I've read so far this year.

Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCLOr5nT_M
View Quote

Looks good.

Sounds even better!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
Have you noticed that every behavior opposed to being a strict rule follower is being labeled as something on the level of criminal/insane/sociopathic/psychopathic lately? I sure have. I'm going to continue to do whatever the fuck I want anyway.
View Quote
From a female standpoint, yes. Except regarding other women - when they break rules they are "fierce."
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
I'm not a sadist. Just raised by a kickass gearhead, to be a gearhead, and I've since raised more gearheads.

These people want to genocide my entire species.
View Quote

You are doing Gods work sir.
The avatar is quite fitting as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#48]
But what about the people doing it just for the sake of being an obnoxious douche?

Don't try to tell me there aren't any.  Those fuckers can FOAD.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
But what about the people doing it just for the sake of being an obnoxious douche?

Don't try to tell me there aren't any.  Those fuckers can FOAD.
View Quote
Of course there are. But are they more likely to be a psychopath or sociopath?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mojo_Jojo] [#50]
I hate loud cars that are not fast.  False advertising.  NO, your econo coupe is not a fast car.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top