Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2019 6:00:28 PM EDT
Gotta admit I love the videos this kid puts out.  He's nuts, but understands the math/science behind what he's doing.  The projects are always pretty neat, albeit insane.

100% Invisible IR death ray laser!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the people in the the NV forum would have a panic induced stroke over that. Especially if it's a higher band IR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It IS 80 watts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The kids smart but im waiting for him to get injured.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
That was actually really cool. I have no clue how any of this works, but is this kinda how the old star light scopes work?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah I did that math too and was wonder what the efficiency of the process is converting the electrical power to laser power.

And you know ... it's likely here in this forum we have not one, not two, but probably three guys that know enough about the engineering to answer that off the top of their head ... and then argue over something about something something something laser something something.
View Quote
diode pumped solid state lasers are very efficient.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
That was great. No idea what he was talking about but it was cool anyway.

The US armed forces should give this guy a few million and see what he could come up with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Recruited by darpa 2 seconds after he graduates college.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
For practice, you can mosey over toMouser or Digikey, and get a legit green laser diode with specs:

https://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/Lasers/Laser-Diodes/_/N-6hpc5?P=1z0wswqZ1z0wtqw&Ns=Pricing%7c1

IIRC, 5mW was the legal limit cor visible lasers, and these aren't 80W, but still more powerful than your ebay special.

Let's pick the Mouser #: 720-PLT5520B, aka the Osram (German Mfr.) #:
PLT5 520B

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/OSRAM-Opto-Semiconductors/PLT5-520B

$35 and in stock. Now it needs 6.9v, but we can build a battery stack (7 eneloop AA nimh + a regulator) only needs 200-250mA so you can build a portable with hours of run time.

Datasheet

I'd build something with the laser still working as green first. With proper eye protection. Then I'd remove the laser optic front end leaving the raw (1024nm) IR beam. This will be invisible to the eye.

More in a bit...

Oh, Hey what about this 90W laser??? that's for very short pulses (1ns) only. The one we want is CW (continuous wave). Or maybe someone does want short bursts. Options galore.

(Other EE's, physics dudes and tinkerers, feel free to chime in)
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah I did that math too and was wonder what the efficiency of the process is converting the electrical power to laser power.

And you know ... it's likely here in this forum we have not one, not two, but probably three guys that know enough about the engineering to answer that off the top of their head ... and then argue over something about something something something laser something something.
View Quote
I'm hoping for it to happen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So if I have one of those Chinese crazy-powerful green pointers from 5-years ago that would be a good thing?
View Quote
You can use one. They won't be superpowerful, but to tinker, sure. Can also use it to test lenses before hooking up a bigger laser.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Recruited by darpa 2 seconds after he graduates college.
View Quote
Darpa has regular college engineer "challenges" a buddy's kid and his pals from MSOE have entered rockets and robots.

A weaponized robot they built is in service with a local PD SWAT

We put some fast moving robots with lasers, thermal and NVD out in the desert on our southern borders and our troubles would soon be over from the cartels and human traffickers.

They gonna go after a robot's family...?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some of the people in the the NV forum would have a panic induced stroke over that. Especially if it's a higher band IR.
View Quote
Did I make it before a NV vendor shows up to reinforce how the non eyesafe class lasers are restricted and you don't get 'muh warranty' to then turn the next 7 posts into how you should buy some shit tier civilian laser that you can't pick up 40 yards away but they swear they know some tier 1 ranger seal operator trigger puller bros that use them in the sandbox?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Nuclear Boyscout Part Two Gamma Gun Forks you
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll bet he is on a few lists of people to watch.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, they get all upset about burning eyeballs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess we should back up and ask "what do we want to do with this laser?"

Illuminate?

Incinerate?

Detonate?

Dematerialize?

Or perhaps in more familar terminology, do we want to build a

Laser pointer?

Laser pistol?

Laser rifle?

Laser howitzer?

16" Naval gunnery laser?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#21]
When we get past that, power will be a key question. Anything handheld will likely be under 10 watts. Run from 12V outlet in the car? 10-100W. Over that? Hooked up to AC mains.

That's a generalization for continuous power. Pulsed lasers can require much less overall power, but may require large storage caps if you're planning on massive laser adrenaline dumps.

In the meantime, read these on LED & Laser eye safety. Power levels on LED's have gone way, way up. Lasers of course have higher beam energy per unit area, and frequently operate outside the visible spectrum (UV and various IR ranges). What you can't see can hurt you.

Risk groups LED: https://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/XLamp_EyeSafety.pdf

Always wear laser safe (for that eavelength!) Eye protection. Keep your cats & dogs out of the lab!

Osram summary or IR safety: https://dammedia.osram.info/media/resource/hires/osram-dam-2496541/Eye%20Safety%20of%20IREDs%20used%20in%20Lamp%20Applications.pdf

.mil report on laser eye injury (free download)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/5950463_Laser_eye_injuries_in_military_occupations

Newport has some very good info on laser & optics safety.

https://www.newport.com/g/laser-safety-glasses-selection-guide

https://www.newport.com/n/laser-damage-threshold

https://www.newport.com/n/ultraviolet-safety-considerations

Right, so go read a bit and then let's sort out what we should like to construct.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So if I have one of those Chinese crazy-powerful green pointers from 5-years ago that would be a good thing?
View Quote
Dude.  Go on banggood.  They've got 15 watt diode lasers (blue) for a couple of hundred bucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top