Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2024 3:17:45 AM EDT
Promote the "Green Movement".....Penalize the "Green Movement".......WTF?
Tennessee hybrid and electric car drivers to pay up to $200 in additional fees starting this year
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:20:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Making up for the lost revenue from gas sales?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
View Quote
You would be correct.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaceboy] [#3]
The government sure loves their fucking taxes.  Fuck the lot of them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Come on now!  EV’s should be able to drive on tax payer funded roads at reduced costs, because…….

Oh yeah wait- too bad.  Stop having gas vehicle drivers pay for everything.  

Anyone who didn’t see stuff like this coming was not paying attention.  The math just does not work out for increasing EV use, while EV drivers pretend they are not adding to the wear and tear and the need for infrastructure improvements.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I only found out after I received my renewal notice for our hybrid vehicle (yes, still uses gas), was effectively double what we paid for our environmentally unsound ICE powered vehicles. TN Gov. Bill Lee is now proposing “Choice Lanes” toll roads to help offset the cost of maintaining roads across the state.
Tennessee Senate passes governor's $3 billion transportation plan

So to fix the “traffic woes” they’ll take a lane away unless you pay. Well, with the high cost of inflation they deny we have, who’s going to pay for that? There’ll be more traffic congestion.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Come on now!  EV’s should be able to drive on tax payer funded roads at reduced costs, because…….

Anyone who didn’t see stuff like this coming was not paying attention.  The math just does not work out for increasing EV use, while EV drivers pretend they are not adding to the wear and tear and the need for infrastructure improvements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:44:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#8]
Wait, you mean I can't drive my heavier EV, putting more wear and tear on the road system, for free???
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By amprecon:
I only found out after I received my renewal notice for our hybrid vehicle (yes, still uses gas), was effectively double what we paid for our environmentally unsound ICE powered vehicles. TN Gov. Bill Lee is now proposing “Choice Lanes” toll roads to help offset the cost of maintaining roads across the state.

So to fix the “traffic woes” they’ll take a lane away unless you pay. Well, with the high cost of inflation they deny we have, who’s going to pay for that? There’ll be more traffic congestion.
View Quote

Not really a fan of Texas toll roadways, but it’s my understanding these lanes and interstate loops charge a toll in lieu of tax revenue funding construction and maintenance. If the Tennessee scheme takes existing, taxpayer funded roads only to charge an additional fee to use them, that’s messed up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys thought they were just going to say goodbye to gas tax revenue after they forced EVs down our throats? Lol.

Just wait until the government starts imposing the same kind of expensive, retarded and impossible "pollution reducing" bullshit on them they are using to kill ICE engines.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By IceChimp:
You guys thought they were just going to say goodbye to gas tax revenue after they forced EVs down our throats? Lol.

Just wait until the government starts imposing the same kind of expensive, retarded and impossible "pollution reducing" bullshit on them they are using to kill ICE engines.
View Quote

True, but TVA will go up again because you may be charging an EV, now your house electric bill just doubled
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
Wait, you mean I can't drive my heavier EV, putting more wear and tear on the road system, for free???
View Quote

Pretty sure the EV Bois didn't think through that possibility.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#13]
View Quote

So you prefer taxing by weight? Most states have a flat rate fee (tho some, like FL have minimal stepped cost - 3 classes separated by $20 and top class 3500# + ) for passenger vehicles - Yaris to Yukon.  TN is one. In this case, by your rationale, the Yukon owner is getting a free ride.  

Attachment Attached File

Official release,  

Lumping in HEV with BEV and PHEV seems unfair. I get the point is to recoup lost gasoline taxes due to better efficiency, but BEV and its possible PHEV never pay a gas tax. Chevy Volt actually had a Fuel Maintenance Warning and Models to ensure unused fuel in the tank (from only using traction battery power) didn't age and possibly damage the system. Often people bumped into it.

It's kinda the reverse of some foreign tax schemes where efficiency (correlated to displacement, fuel or power - and recentl CO2 outputs) is incentivized.  But petrol taxes is the main funding for road infrastructure so I get it. Still Americans get off easy.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#14]
EV THREAD BOIS
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#15]
No free lunch Jose, well maybe if your name is Jose

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#16]
“To offset any gas tax revenue loss from all-electric vehicles, which require no gasoline, the state is asking these car owners to pay more along with their registration and renewals starting this year.”

lol, who didn’t see this coming?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:01:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#17]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Lumping in HEV with BEV and PHEV seems unfair.

View All Quotes

The whole idea of the gas tax is that 6 mpg vehicles contribute more to road wear than 30 mpg vehicles.

When comparing 40mpg Corollas to 50mpg Priapisms, I don't see the need to add extra fees to either.

Michigan's $90 BEV and $30 PHEV fees are better than TN's version, but the license fees break the former link between miles driven and road taxes.
It's been decades since I paid $90 in Michigan fuel tax in a calendar year, but for some EV drivers $90 is a bargain. For most Volt drivers $30 is a bargain.

So you prefer taxing by weight?

That's how Michigan did the license plate fees before 1983, when they decided to enact a MSRP property tax on cars and light trucks.
It's a fair way to handle registration fees, but doesn't replace fuel taxes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

And damage to the roads and barriers from the heavier vehicle. Several studies show that EVs weight are damaging road infrastructure.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I pay $.26 a gallon in gas tax.  I’d gladly pay the $200 instead if they would go to a flat rate for ICE vehicles.

‘Pay your fare share hippy!’

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#20]
VA has been doing this for a while, but at least there's an option to seek a credit if you don't drive that much.
Shit, if you have a "efficient" gas car you pay the fee.  I think I got hit for $20 last year.  
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/taxes-fees/highway-use

But better that then them putting a GPS tracker on my car.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Good for them. EVs should pay their way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
The tax is the equivalent of 1054 gallons of fuel.  It's seriously excessive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:
I pay $.26 a gallon in gas tax.  I'd gladly pay the $200 instead if they would go to a flat rate for ICE vehicles.

'Pay your fare share hippy!'

View Quote
It starts at $200, it's going to $274.

You would have to drive over 30,000 miles a year with a 30 mpg vehicle just to break even on this tax.

Y'all supporting more taxes is why we're fucked as a country as it is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Vanquish:
“To offset any gas tax revenue loss from all-electric vehicles, which require no gasoline, the state is asking these car owners to pay more along with their registration and renewals starting this year.”

lol, who didn’t see this coming?
View Quote

Maybe nobody from TN, but most other states have already been doing this. Even backwoods Indiana for at least the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Ah, the concern for increased rubber particulate pollution starts to hit home.  :D

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Those "fees" never go down either...........
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

And damage to the roads and barriers from the heavier vehicle. Several studies show that EVs weight are damaging road infrastructure.
View Quote

Several hundred pounds more than a comparable car. Model S is about the same weight as a charger. An IS 350 and a Model 3 are 500 pounds apart at most.

My old 2016 F250 was 8500 on a cat scale. Current 1/2 Silverado is 53 or 5400. Apples to oranges on the vehicles, but how many 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups are on the road? Nobody has ever mentions the weight of those?  Because it’s silly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
View Quote

You don't like taxes, who does? The reality is things don't work without them. I suppose you could go to Russia. Their resident income tax starts at 13%. Non-residents pay 30%. Corruption takes the rest.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Well maybe not.  They may be wanting to recoup lost gas tax monies for the roads.  Buuuuut, it may also fit into the Leftist agenda of making transportation so expensive fewer people will be able to afford to get around.  Confine them to their 15-minute cities, and they'll be happy owning nothing.  Enjoy your residential pod and ze bugs for dinner.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Agreed...

...but in this case: good tax increase
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#33]
ICE owners already subsidize the EV/Hybrid vehicles, they can at least pay their "fair share" for the roads.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:02:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#34]
Originally Posted By Steel-Driver-76:
Ah, the concern for increased rubber particulate pollution starts to hit home.  :D

View Quote

You might be on to something there.
Let's enact a 50% road tax on tires.
Let the guys tearing up the asphalt launching their Teslas and Hellcats start paying their fair share.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

The fact that EV vehicles are heavier for the same size as their gas equivalents, they do more damage as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
You would be correct.
View Quote

Yep, they're gonna get their pound of flesh, one way or another.

I get a kick when TN residents crow about no state income tax, when their sales tax is at least 2% above GA (that has a state income tax).

It's all how you look at it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#37]
You would be correct.
View All Quotes
You would be correct.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Yep, just because you went green doesn't mean you can be a freeloader.
You don't get to have taxpayers subsidize your green vehicle purchase and then have gas tax money pay for the roads to be maintained.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Bill Cocksucking Lee can eat a fucking dick
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm shocked!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:10:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#41]
View Quote

You're looking for hate from every man who drives a full-sized truck aren't you?

The extra 100 pounds is a killer is it?

The average car weighs 4150 pounds according to the EPA and a Tesla 3 extended range 4050 pounds.

Source

https://www.autolist.com/guides/average-weight-of-car

Some common models and their weights include the Kia Sorento weighing 3,794 to 4,120 pounds, the Toyota Highlander at 4,155 to 4,453 pounds, the Dodge Durango at 4,750 to 5,710 pounds, the Hyundai Santa Fe 3,649 to 4,076 pounds, the Honda Pilot at 4,030 to 4,685 pounds, the GMC Acadia 4,155 to 4,525 pounds, the Nissan Murano at 5,110 to 5,280 lbs, and the Kia Telluride 5,776 to 5,917 pounds. Heavy duty trucks like the Ford F-250 and F-350, RAM 2500 and 3500, and Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500 models have weights starting around 5,700 pounds up to over 7,000 pounds.

A Tesla 3 weighs 3,552–4,048 pounds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#42]
If they could tax sunshine, gravity, and the air, they would.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By gotigers:And damage to the roads and barriers from the heavier vehicle. Several studies show that EVs weight are damaging road infrastructure.
View Quote

I'd love to see a citation on that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Exactly.   You EV drivers need to pay your fair share.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

The whole idea of the gas tax is that 6 mpg vehicles contribute more to road wear than 30 mpg vehicles.

When comparing 40mpg Corollas to 50mpg Priapisms, I don't see the need to add extra fees to either.

Michigan's $90 BEV and $30 PHEV fees are better than TN's version, but the license fees break the former link between miles driven and road taxes.
It's been decades since I paid $90 in Michigan fuel tax in a calendar year, but for some EV drivers $90 is a bargain. For most Volt drivers $30 is a bargain.

That's how Michigan did the license plate fees before 1983, when they decided to enact a MSRP property tax on cars and light trucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

So you prefer taxing by weight?

Yea - there's been more efficient and heavier vehicles untaxed, especially HEVs, so the gloating chorus is awful disingenuous.

Still needs to be a mechanism to tax road use. It'll prolly be some kind of GPS pay by mile solution - which given the arguments  is likely the most fair.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

FUCK toll / pay lanes!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#47]
And to think we defeated the largest military in the world at that time over a slight tax increase on tea.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

HEVS pay both ways. The Seqouia is a great example

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:32:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#49]
I pay $.26 a gallon in gas tax.  I’d gladly pay the $200 instead if they would go to a flat rate for ICE vehicles.

View All Quotes

The tax is the equivalent of 1054 gallons of fuel.  It's seriously excessive.

Several people are not looking at the math.   The basic registration fee in TN is $86.  $200 - $86 - $114 increase for EVs.
Source

You also pay 18.4 cents/gallon federal tax for a total of 44.4 cents/gallon.

$114/0.444 = 256.76 gallons.

A car getting 20 MPG would travel 5,135 miles on that fuel.  Since that is probably low, I suggest that TN double the EV increase.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top