Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2023 9:04:10 AM EDT
For those of you who still like talk radio over AM, what do you use for a tabletop radio inside the house, office or shop? 'They don't make 'em like they used to' sure seems to apply to AM radios. I'm a long way from any stations and probably need to set up some kind of antenna, but I get my best reception from an old GE portable that is probably 50 years old. So...tabletop or portable for AM - whatcha got?
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Tecsun PL880

Best sounding small radio I have ever heard. Use it every morning. And you can string up a wire and listen to shortwave, ham, air band, etc...

Wonderful little radio.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
CC Radio typically has great reception and good audio - AM, FM, as well as some other bands that may or may not interest you.

AC and battery operated.

https://ccrane.com/products/ccradio-2e-enhanced-am-fm-noaa-weather-2-meter-ham-band-portable-radio

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tecsun PL880

Best sounding small radio I have ever heard. Use it every morning. And you can string up a wire and listen to shortwave, ham, air band, etc...

Wonderful little radio.
View Quote

This.

And get a loop antenna for it.  It works wonders.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a GE Super Radio III that I swear by as having the best AM sensitivity of any of the many radios I own.

CC Crane and Sangean make quality too but can't hold a candle to the GE Super Radio ability to capture weak signals.

Looks discontinued. Below is an RCA labeled Super Radio but from my reading they lowered the quality of the receiver.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Third the Tecsun. I have a much cheaper one (PL-310ET) than the PL-880 mentioned above that I picked up for <$50 on Ebay. Got it for emergencies and playing around with SW, and has been great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what do you use for a tabletop radio inside the house, office or shop? 'They don't make 'em like they used to' sure seems to apply to radios...whatcha got?
View Quote

I got Firefox and youtube.

Philips radio ad at end of cartoon -- De Groote Philips Revue Philips Broadcast of 1938
De Groote Philips Revue (1938) Philips Broadcast of 1938 (N.V. Philips' Gloeilampenfabrieken)
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Get an SDR and a couple of antennas.  Listen to all the radio.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Icom sw7600 if you can find one.

I like AM radio. It's great for talk shows and distance when traveling but id slowly being drowned out by interference from things like these variable frequency drives on most motor driven appliances. The efficiency of the newer appliances is nice but the FCC should have done their job and protected that spectrum.
New vehicles generate so much interference that they don't have AM radios anymore
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like AM radio. It's great for talk shows and distance when traveling but id slowly being drowned out by interference from things like these variable frequency drives on most motor driven appliances. The efficiency of the newer appliances is nice but the FCC should have done their job and protected that spectrum.
New vehicles generate so much interference that they don't have AM radios anymore
View Quote

AM radio with a loop antenna is best at night far from civilization, while laying back enjoying the night sky.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#10]
ccRadio.  The latest one has an auto-tuning internal antenna.  I've had the ccRadio, and a few ccRadioPlus (still have 2 of them).  The ccRadio2E is the one I'd get (don't need bluetooth).  It has the twin ferrite antenna built in.  Also has FM, WX and the 2-Meter Ham band.   $170'ish.  Runs a LONG time on 4 D cells.

$158 as an orphan on their site

Their customer service is fantastic, too.  They really stand behind their products.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
The AM radio in my Jeep WK2 is surprisingly good.  It has some good DSP that keeps the interference to a minimum.  Surprised the little shark fin antenna on the roof does as well as it does.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I picked one of these up at the Salvation Army for $3.

" />
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

AM radio with a loop antenna is best at night far from civilization, while laying back enjoying the night sky.
View Quote

Loop antennas tend to work pretty well. They are also directional so turning them may bring in different stations.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Not sure how they compare to the new stuff but I always got good reception on my Zenith Transoceanics(i collected a few for a while) plus they are classy and made unlike anything today.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#16]

This is what I use, an Icom 7200 to listen to AM Broadcast and Shortwave Broadcast.  Works very well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53111/Screenshot_20230126-063909_DuckDuckGo-2685855.jpg
This is what I use, an Icom 7200 to listen to AM Broadcast and Shortwave Broadcast.  Works very well.
View Quote

Humble braggart!

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tecsun PL880

Wonderful little radio.
View Quote

This!

Also considerably better than all Desktop SWL radios from my past.

Cheap too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, HF rigs with an external antenna would be a great choice if you're willing to spend the coin and install an outdoor antenna.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53111/Screenshot_20230126-063909_DuckDuckGo-2685855.jpg
View Quote

Nice rig.  Gotta. have. carry. handles. and. camo!  If you can find a GE SuperRadio III, grab one.  The tuning and sound quality are insanely refined.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the Sangean PR-D15 which has excellent reception and sound for well under $100.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Tivoli Model One that I scored for well over half off on an Amazon sale.  Great audio quality and has the ability to use external AM and FM antennas.  A cheap loop antenna in the window allows me to get decent AM reception in the basement, and on the FM side it's connected to the TV antenna in the attic and sounds as good as if I was in the studio.

Also check on ebay of FB marketplace or something for a GE Super Radio.  They've been discontinued for a while, but are supposedly awesome for AM since you can either select wideband for local sound quality or narrowband for weak signal selectivity.  And they can also use external AM and FM antennas.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm using a late 60s vintage Motorola that I found on ebay to replace an identical unit that had been in use since new and was literally falling apart from decades of daily use. I need to hit some junk yards to get an old AM car radio and build one of those ammo can radios.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for Tivoli Model one.

Designed by legendary audio engineer Henry Kloss.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Get one of these. There are others that are as large and work the same way that are solid. This one you can see threw

Antenna link
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get one of these. There are others that are as large and work the same way that are solid. This one you can see threw

Antenna link
View Quote

You know how I know you yourself can see "threw" that?  You saw right through the pictures I posted above.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Humble braggart!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humble braggart!

Lol, more like cheap ass ham operator.

That said a used HF with general coverage makes a great receiver regardless if you have any interest in ever transmitting or not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve been eyeing this one, but admittedly know nothing about it.
Eton radio
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have the Sangean PR-D15 which has excellent reception and sound for well under $100.
View Quote

I bought a Sangean weather alert radio for my bedroom. It also has an AM/FM tuner and alarm clock. The sound from that small radio is amazing, it rivals the Bose Acoustic Wave I have in the kitchen at 1/5th the size.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm a long time ham, but I also have one of those GE Super Radio's. They work very well as indicated by others.

My mother liked a certain radio station, and when I bought her one of those, it brought it right in for her. She was very happy. Using one with a small loop, called the Select-A-Tenna really helps with weak signals.

I listen to AM broadcast on one of my HF rigs, and that works very well also. Plus I have the external antennas in place to help with that.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I use several, something like this. Cheap, effective, and has a plug-in for headphones.  That's all I need.  For after work or in the garage I have a shortwave , Baofeng, and CB.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tecsun PL880

Wonderful little radio.
View Quote

Same here. Great radio.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Gift from my dad a few years back. Like to listen to it when cooking or if I ever sit in the front room.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Oops. I thought you said radio that doubles as a tabletop. Last time I plugged it in it still worked.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#35]
RTL-SDR dongle + Airspy

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#36]

This is something that I have been wanting to try out.
I think after I get myself a working computer again, I will set one up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I should really dig this back out. Who needs superheterodyne?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the replies. This has made for interesting googling. I didn't realize radios had gotten so expensive.

A used GE Superradio would be okay for me, but they're kinda high on Ebay considering the unknowns, so may as well bite the bullet and go with one of the new ones you guys have recommended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top