Clayton is the area you seek.
View Quote
For court, and then get out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Traffic hell!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#4]
There are nice places around St. Louis to live but let it be known that it is so FUCKING HOT there in the summer that I thought I was turning into a heat blister.

Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The west side of stl (including Fenton) is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to move to St Louis, it sounds like you already have the crack addiction so it should be fine for you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The only way to fix St. Louis is the same as Memphis.

New Madrid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread proves that many here haven't visited the other eastern post industrial shit hole city's. STL is pretty much just like the rest of them. There are areas that are sketchy AF, and some areas that are very nice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are nice places around St. Louis to live but let it be known that it is so FUCKING HOT there in the summer that I thought I was turning into a heat blister.

View Quote
It's the humidity.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not going to live in the thick of either place, I'm 45 miles west of downtown St. Louis and that is plenty close.  But damn, it's boring as hell here, I yearn for the hills..
View Quote
Come for a visit, we’ve got plenty of hills around Hot Springs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fenton is not in the middle of St. Louis county it is on the souther edge and borders Jefferson county.
The bad shit people see about St. Louis are in north county and the city. Fenton is a completely different world.
View Quote
2018 murder map from stltoday.com :

Link Posted: 9/22/2019 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow. It's crazy how bad of a rep the 'East Side' (illinois east st louis metro area) has, but that map doesn't reflect that. Looks like all the bad stuff is really centered on the city proper itself, surprisingly so - surprised more of it isn't heavy in north city and surrounding county areas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]
fenton is outside of St louis and a nice area, as is nearly all the sw suburbs,

AB brewery, take the tour
grants farm, take the tour
Baseball, best ever
forest Park, great zoo, muny opera, art hill in the winter snow
rock and roll half marathon in the fall
few people hang out anymore in downtown st louis, for the reasons already stated
it's a working person's town like most older cities
tons of places to eat, Italian food on the hill is outstanding
Ozarks, two and ahalf hours away from fenton

there's worse places for sure.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not going to live in the thick of either place, I'm 45 miles west of downtown St. Louis and that is plenty close.  But damn, it's boring as hell here, I yearn for the hills..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always have to laugh at "the sky is falling" people anytime st louis is mentioned. I work in Downtown St Louis and I've been all over the metro area. Like every major city there are areas with higher crime and drug use but I've rarely felt unsafe in Downtown and have no issues running downtown in the AM.

Now...north of downtown just stay away, coworker of mine had a guy try to car jack him on our lunch break. Like many metros there are previously bad areas that are becoming gentrified where you have lots of bars/restaurants/hipsters developing a previously cheap neighborhood with character but there are also still some close by pockets of crime (Soulard comes to mind).

If you listen to some of these people you need to be 50 miles out of downtown or you will die. Heck just north of Fenton in Town and Country there are some nice $1 to $2 million houses, private schools, and country clubs and that's only like 15 minutes from downtown.

Look in Eureka, Wildwood, Ballwin, pretty much anywhere North up to Creve Coeur, West or South of Fenton, that's not all inclusive just a rough outline. All nice areas but high range of home prices so depends on your budget.
It's not about dieing, it's about being asshole to elbow with too many people and the baggage they drag along.

The KC region beats hell out of St.Louis metro region.
Having lived in each, I disagree. I like them both but I’d prefer outer ring STL metro area.
If you’re where I think you are, I wouldn’t mind living there.  A little way either way wouldn’t be too bad either.

I really liked growing up in southern Jeff county. Not too far to the city, not terribly far to MTNF. I wouldn’t mind living around Hillsboro, but there’s not a whole lot for me there work wise.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Panera Bread is called St. Louis bread there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP and others see below.........

NOBODY LIVES IN ST. LOUIS PROPER. NO BODY.  NO BODY GOES THERE.  NOBODY WORKS THERE.  ANYONE WHO LIVES IN THE STL METRO AREA (about 4 million people do, this map only shows about 1/2 of the area that the real residents of this area live in) All of the REAL residents ONLY go to St. LOUIS FOR A BASEBALL OR HOCKEY GAME AND THEN LEAVE RIGHT THE FUCK OUT.
View Quote
Oh really?

I live, work and socialize in the city.  How am I not a "real" resident?
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#18]
drove through st louis once...glad it was the only time. if i had to move there for work...i'd quit my job. first, i wouldn't move anywhere for any job. second, i definitely wouldn't move to st louis.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I always have to laugh at "the sky is falling" people anytime st louis is mentioned. I work in Downtown St Louis and I've been all over the metro area. Like every major city there are areas with higher crime and drug use but I've rarely felt unsafe in Downtown and have no issues running downtown in the AM.

Now...north of downtown just stay away, coworker of mine had a guy try to car jack him on our lunch break. Like many metros there are previously bad areas that are becoming gentrified where you have lots of bars/restaurants/hipsters developing a previously cheap neighborhood with character but there are also still some close by pockets of crime (Soulard comes to mind).

If you listen to some of these people you need to be 50 miles out of downtown or you will die. Heck just north of Fenton in Town and Country there are some nice $1 to $2 million houses, private schools, and country clubs and that's only like 15 minutes from downtown.

Look in Eureka, Wildwood, Ballwin, pretty much anywhere North up to Creve Coeur, West or South of Fenton, that's not all inclusive just a rough outline. All nice areas but high range of home prices so depends on your budget.
View Quote
we considered moving there and mostly looked in chesterfield and wildwood. lots of nice places in a rural setting. great school systems around, too, if you need that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to visit the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, but have no idea what the area is like.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd like to visit the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, but have no idea what the area is like.
View Quote
That's out in the county, West of 270 on Dougherty Ferry Rd. It's fine to visit, and I always enjoyed it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's out in the county, West of 270 on Dougherty Ferry Rd. It's fine to visit, and I always enjoyed it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Transp_JPG-1099957.JPG
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ETA if you have kids there are a lot of things to do in the city that don’t charge admission.  Like a very nice zoo.
View Quote
After living all over the country, I've learned that it is better to find places that charge admissions fees. It's like a modest tax that you pay to not have to have your kids around rich and vibrant fuckfaces like this one: https://www.foxnews.com/us/boy-thrown-mall-of-america-returns-home-from-hospital-landen-hoffman
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in West St Louis County and it is very nice.  I go to a lot of Cardinals and Blues games every year and never so much an issue.  There are a lot of nice bars and restaurants around Busch stadium I've been to and never felt unsafe.  The mainstream areas of downtown STL are nice and 99.9% of the time you will never have any problems.  Just like anywhere use your common fucking sense.   There are areas of St Louis City you do not go like North city.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Transp_JPG-1099957.JPG
Thank you!
You're welcome.

I wish I could find my pics, and show you some of them. They may be part of what disappeared, the last time a storm fried my computer. If I find them soon, I'll post a few in here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#27]
There's always so much ignorance in St. Louis threads.

Tons of things to do including free things.

St. Louis city and St. Louis county are two different things, but effectively its all St. Louis, no need to be an absolutist shitstain about it.

Lots of major sports teams and breweries.

If you're into the arts there's a lot of wonderful museums.

The Fox, The Muny, Powell Hall, etc. for performing arts that are awesome and treasures to go to.

Basically if you avoid the bad areas you won't get shot and you can have a great time.

I don't miss the humidity and weather, but great spring and fall.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Columbia, Illinois is a nice place to live.

Monroe County is the safest county in the metro region.

The rest of Illinois just sucks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I used to be based in STL. Let me put it this way. I have been in two race riots. The LA riots and Ferguson riots. If you want to know if it’s a good area look at your skin. If it matches the people next to you your ok. If it dosent you need to GTFO.

Seriously Detroit was nicer than STL. Friendlier also. There’s only two bigger shitholes I have been too. Flint and Newark.

I have also been to a few cities in South America like Leon, Quito, and a few others. I’ll take them any day over STL.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:01:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’ve always viewed that city as a shit hole, but as it turns out I may have to actually move there for work. Specially around the Fenton area.

Where are the nice places to live?

Is there anything awesome there?
View Quote
Fenton is a reasonably nice area.

West County / St Charles is upscale and nice.  Jefferson County, south of STL county, is nice but more ordinary middle class.

The bad spots are Carondelet off I-55 near the brewery and of course Ferguson and Florissant.  Ferguson and Florissant are in the northern and eastern parts, next to the airport.  If you go to either of those two, good chance you won't come back.

East St Louis is a Mad Max style hellscape.  You have no reason to go there, ever, unless you prefer being dead.

Clayton and Forest Park are OK, but some of that borders some bad stuff.  Downtown is fine during the day.  It is not fine at night, especially along the southern portions.  Night time downtown is ok if you are going to or leaving a Blues or Cardinals game because the police will be all over it but, other than that, don't go wandering downtown after dark.

In general, as far as avoiding bad spots in the city, one thing to remember about STL is that geographically it's relatively compact.  You can go from Good or OK to Shitstorm very rapidly if you're not paying attention.  Like any city, STL has good places and bad places.  I'd be fine living in any of the good areas.  The bad areas in STL are, however, fairly exceptionally bad.

I-270 is practically impassable during rush.  The people in the city are reasonably friendly except when driving, where they become demon possessed.  Driving habits are highly aggressive.  Horns will be used a lot, and many don't bother looking on the 6 and 8 lane freeways before taking a lane to see if someone two lanes over is about to take the same lane.  Head on a swivel while driving.

If you have to fly into or out of Lambert Field, try to fly Southwest.  They operate out of the second terminal which is quite small and much nicer to pass through than Terminal 1, which is a typical large international airport type affair.

Cool stuff: Anheuser-Busch, Cardinals, Blues, the Muni (if you like music).  The Zoo is free admission.  The Art Museum is free admission as well, and is my favorite thing the city has.  Most people talk about the zoo, which is pretty good, but I favor the art museum.  Plenty of shopping for the lady.  A healthy selection of gun shops, including several NFA dealers and some professional training outfits as well.

If my job transferred me to STL I'd have no issue with it.  Like any town, rent or buy in a nice area, don't hang out with criminals, and you'll have no issues.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Columbia, Illinois is a nice place to live.

Monroe County is the safest county in the metro region.

The rest of Illinois just sucks.
View Quote
There is no such thing as a nice place to live in IL.  Since property taxes are higher than many people's mortgages at this point.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:08:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Clayton is a shit hole.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
lul Fenton nice? If you prefer to live with methy next door... Sure... May as well move into a trailer in House Springs....
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:12:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The city itself is becoming a third world country. They have a prosecutor that won’t prosecute people of color to the point the governor has allegedly stepped in and asked the feds fo step in and prosecute federal level crimes. Stay away from North County and I’ve heard south county isn’t great.

There’s good food, best BBQ joint in the country is Pappys Steakhouse on Olive. The city zoo in continuously held in the highest regard and its free. The city museum seems popular. It’s a great sport city if that’s your thing. The Cardinals and Blues always put out an exciting product. They also just got a professional soccer team.

If I had to work there I’d live as far southwest as I could stand to commute with my second choice being as far up I-70 I could stand to commute. South is Jefferson county which is full of meth and thieves. East is Illinois and well that’s enough explanation. Franklin county is a good county, lots of dope and thieves but a much more active and higher end level of law enforcement.

Overall politically MO is a great state, there’s enough people on the right to offset the city lefties. We have great 2nd amendment support with SBRs, suppressors, AR pistols, etc. just recently allowed auto knives and other goodies as well. We aren’t Texas but we can hold our own against most other states politically. We told Obama no every election and on pretty much every issue that came to a vote.
View Quote
Missouri is an example of what motivated conservatives can do.  This used to be a purple state that could go either way.  Now it's typical for conservatives to win on the presidential ticket pretty significantly.  The state level deregulation of NFA goodies is relatively recent (within the past 20 years) and we also have statutory permitless carry for residents now.  About the only NFA stuff that isn't good to go is DDs, last I checked.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, my wife hated it too.

I loved it.  
View Quote
You just loved it for the brewery
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I hate the STL metro area.  I would never work there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:14:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Ferguson area is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:15:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
St Louis is basically Mogadishu with good bbq
View Quote
Lol’d
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow. It's crazy how bad of a rep the 'East Side' (illinois east st louis metro area) has, but that map doesn't reflect that. Looks like all the bad stuff is really centered on the city proper itself, surprisingly so - surprised more of it isn't heavy in north city and surrounding county areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Population density. More people available for murdering in St. Louis, MO city vs East St. Louis, IL.

Also consider, the people in East St. Louis, IL have far fewer police to contend with and that gives them more time to to un-ass the scene before LE arrives, more time to dispose of a dead body and far more places to toss out the trash. And fewer witnesses. Lots of dirt deeds done in ESL that never make the news.

There are probably more street lights in six square blocks of north city St. Louis than the entire city of East St. Louis, IL. It's like someone turned out the lights when you cross the Mississippi driving east.

There's also a lot of business done in St. Louis, MO that the citizens of East St. Louis would rather not do in their neighborhood ...

Lived in south city for 20 years. Lived in the county near Lambert Field for 17 years before moving into the city. Recently moved far south and west to rural hills. Know all 12 of the neighbors and all their kids. Very quiet area. Nearest neighbor is about a 1/2 acre away. Closer than we wanted but there's a solid 50 foot wide line of heavy brush and timber between us so we don't really 'see' them without actually leaving our property. And that's pretty much the surrounding 10 square miles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#41]
They do have good pizza there. If you like thin crust.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Warrenton? Wright City?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
 It's in Kirkwood, great place to live and grow up, I've been to the MOT dozens of times, way cool if you like old trains for sure.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Joes Kansas City in KC
Peg Leg Porker in Nashville, TN
Stiles Switch in Austin, TX
Ray Ray's Hog Pit in Columbus, OH
Burn Co in Tulsa, OK
Pit Room, Houston TX
Louie Mueller in Taylor, TX

I like Pappy's and have been there a few times, and I don't want to sound like I don't like it because I do. I just wouldn't call them the best in the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me where is better, I’ll wait.

They were just voted the best ribs in the country. I’ve tried many of the highly regarded places and have continuously been disappointed.
Joes Kansas City in KC
Peg Leg Porker in Nashville, TN
Stiles Switch in Austin, TX
Ray Ray's Hog Pit in Columbus, OH
Burn Co in Tulsa, OK
Pit Room, Houston TX
Louie Mueller in Taylor, TX

I like Pappy's and have been there a few times, and I don't want to sound like I don't like it because I do. I just wouldn't call them the best in the country.
I would like to know more.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Been in MO for 34 yrs.  ill take kc please.  Stl is ok,  but the people there strike me as wannabe east coasters.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
lul Fenton nice? If you prefer to live with methy next door... Sure... May as well move into a trailer in House Springs....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clayton is a shit hole.
Lots of 10mm fail posted here
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP and others see below.........

NOBODY LIVES IN ST. LOUIS PROPER. NO BODY.  NO BODY GOES THERE.  NOBODY WORKS THERE.  ANYONE WHO LIVES IN THE STL METRO AREA (about 4 million people do, this map only shows about 1/2 of the area that the real residents of this area live in) All of the REAL residents ONLY go to St. LOUIS FOR A BASEBALL OR HOCKEY GAME AND THEN LEAVE RIGHT THE FUCK OUT.

Everywhere on this map to the west of St. Louis, to the south of St. louis across the Missouri river into St. Charles and St. Charles County are ALL SUPER NICE VERY AFFORDABLE places to live with super nice midwestern people.  Just don't go living in St. Louis itself, or North St. Louis county (area around the airport), or any part of Southern Illinois.

https://external-preview.redd.it/c23MSi5V1d8uMLh-gbwgIK8GhzjYst_f_Ej9WSZ-n3c.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=cacbaee99c5f6eff5fe7fc20318944da74932635

To answer your question OP look to live in the following areas.
1. West STL country - Chesterfield, Wildwood, Manchester, Ballwin, Ellisville, Clarkson Valley
2. St. Charles county - Weldon Springs, O Fallon, Dardienne Prarie, Lake St. Louis, New Melle, Wentzville

Where are you from now Kansas City?
View Quote
Use this map. I tell everyone that asks,  yes, st. Louis IS as bad as you hear on the news.
But, the city is small, and the surrounding areas are good, very diverse, you'll still have some research to do.
Aside from KC and St. Louis, the rest of the state is beautiful, and  mostly conservative.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Been in MO for 34 yrs.  ill take kc please.  Stl is ok,  but the people there strike me as wannabe east coasters.
View Quote
I've heard that KC the the most eastern western city, and STL is the most western eastern city.

Seems pretty accurate IMO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is there anything awesome there?
View Quote
If you lived near Fenton . . . or perhaps a bit southwest of there . . . you could be on the water in two hours and have a great day or weekend.

https://www.missouricanoe.org/

That's pretty awesome.

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Clayton is a shit hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clayton is a shit hole.
Aot of car cloutings, robberies and a few home invasions  in clayton... and the residents by and large are total assholes...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top