BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have hens, but there is nothing free about it.

edit: Possumluke, ever hear of "vital" eggs? Almost .50 cents/egg!
https://www.target.com/p/vital-farms-alfresco-pasture-raised-grade-a-large-eggs-12ct/-/A-18783617#lnk=sametab

View Quote

This. There's no way my chickens could ever produce enough eggs to overtake the cost of set up and maintaining the little fuckers. They're pretty cute though.

I've caught 9 mice out there this week and I forgot to reset the traps last night.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
A flock of about 25 free range on 3 acres. Plenty of eggs to eat and provide friends/family with.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's way cheaper than buying a new house in the country, where I'd have the room to raise chickens.

The $6 I spend on eggs basically amounts to a rounding error in my grocery spending. Complete nothingburger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The yolks on mine are an even deeper color than that (from these guys).

They remind me of the eggs I got from my parents chickens, growing up. Even a little better, honestly.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself to justify spending $6 a dozen.

I'll tell you the secret for ours.... premium feed has extra beta carotene added.
It's way cheaper than buying a new house in the country, where I'd have the room to raise chickens.

The $6 I spend on eggs basically amounts to a rounding error in my grocery spending. Complete nothingburger.

I can think of worse ways to spend more money on food than that.  Frankly, the cheap store bought eggs are sad.  I'm also sad that my wife has a thing against "natural" eggs, only wanting eggs that come from the grocery store.  Oh, well, I have some ideas on helping her change her mind.

In general, we are very used to cheap homogeneous food in the US.  How's it turn out with the rest of the global just in time economy?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have ten hens.....

I have lost 2 to raccoons in the last year..  

My fault both times.  

The two I lost were California Whites, I plan to buy six more of those later in the spring.

The others are Buff Orpingtons, Americannas, Olive Eggers, one Golden Comet, and one Silkie hen.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m sure it’s been said, but having your own chickens is NOT “free eggs”. The cost of building the coop alone will make those eggs premium price for years.

Then the feed
The bedding
The 2nd coop because the flock grew
The calcium supplements
The medicines (because the wife started naming the damn things, so now they are pets)
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I get eggs from my own hens, but they are far from free. Hate to know how much I have spent to house feed and keep them alive. They could lay eggs everyday for years and never pay me back.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Weve got about a dozen girls, two roosters.  We incubate some every spring too.  Definately nothing free about them.  Probably way more expensive.  It is nice to have them in the backyard though.  Also i like the teaching aspect for my 2 boys.  They are 3 and 4 and can understand where food comes from, see life and death, and understand the work that goes into that.  How do you put a price on that??
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
today I had Plant Egg Wrap for Breakfast
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
We have 4 chickens........they pop out 3-4 eggs a day. Plenty for us, we actually end up giving a bunch away to friends and family.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#11]
have a family member with a small army of chickens, ducks, and geese. Yay free eggs
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]
We have 8 ISA brown hens and 2 khaki Campbell ducks. They collectively average 8 or 9 eggs a day. Far more than we eat. That makes us very popular with our friends and neighbors.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
@helobravo

Unfortunately yes we still hand wash. We are seriously considering one of these.
Little Egg Scubber
Attachment Attached File

I did a good bit of looking for a way to make my own....but it's just not economical.

ETA: making nest boxes short enough the hens can't stand tall to poop(about 9") and keeping the straw fresh and fluffy for padding so none break, has done a lot for keeping the eggs cleaner in the first place.
We only have to really scrub 1 or 2 per dozen. The rest just float test, quick rinse and rub with paper towel and they're good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]
They are from our hens, but those are far from free.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Today I learned that over half of everyone on Arfcom raises their own chickens for eggs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
2 Buff Brahmas, 1 Light Brahma, 3 Green Queens, and 4 Splash Ameraucanas. My girls love their boutique birds. All the eggs we can eat and we sell the rest for $4 an 18 egg carton.
Attachment Attached File

2020 run expansion. My chicken buyers were out of control.
Attachment Attached File

Current coop and run. Planning a 2021 coop expansion.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]
We have 11 hens and get 6-10 eggs a day. My daughters sell our extras to the neighbors for $2/dz.  We feed them alot of our food scraps so we hardly ever have to buy feed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#19]
If cats laid delicious eggs, would cat ladies be cool, not crazy?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
breakfast and general cooking we use our hens eggs, for deviled eggs hard boiled or egg salad store bought they are just easier to peel...

now when entertaining guests we serve the penguin eggs
View Quote

"age" your eggs. After about 2 weeks they are easier to peel. (I guess store bought are about 2 weeks old then?) We have about 3 dozen eggs in the fridge at any time. We date them and use the oldest for hard boiled and the freshest for scrambled or whatever. Our oldest are around 30 days or so old.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If cats laid delicious eggs, would cat ladies be cool, not crazy?
View Quote

Chicken ladies are absolutely nuts. I’m not talking about ladies who have a few chickens that lay eggs. I’m talking about the ones that put diapers and clothes on their birds and have them running around the house.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"age" your eggs. After about 2 weeks they are easier to peel. (I guess store bought are about 2 weeks old then?) We have about 3 dozen eggs in the fridge at any time. We date them and use the oldest for hard boiled and the freshest for scrambled or whatever. Our oldest are around 30 days or so old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think they taste best within the 1st week or so. Try a rice cooker for HB they're easier to peel for some reason. Also, we keep ours (about the same as you) on the counter and wash before use.

edit:
Quoted:

Chicken ladies are absolutely nuts. I’m not talking about ladies who have a few chickens that lay eggs. I’m talking about the ones that put diapers and clothes on their birds and have them running around the house.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/04/15/09/27212298-8220643-A_farmer_in_Oklahoma_has_created_adorable_clothing_for_his_farm_-m-30_1586940438953.jpg

Wat.
TIL
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I have twenty three that have just recently started laying (hatched July 2020).

These were the first:
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got two friends who have free range chickens supplemented with feed.

I get them for free.  Their hens lay more than their families can eat.

I leave them dusted (dirty) so they last longer.  I can set them on the counter and they're good for months.

The yolks are richer and certainly better tasting than those from a store.  Plus they're free to me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@helobravo

Unfortunately yes we still hand wash. We are seriously considering one of these.
Little Egg Scubber
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/405866/SmartSelect_20210305-130312_Brave_jpg-1852624.JPG
I did a good bit of looking for a way to make my own....but it's just not economical.

ETA: making nest boxes short enough the hens can't stand tall to poop(about 9") and keeping the straw fresh and fluffy for padding so none break, has done a lot for keeping the eggs cleaner in the first place.
We only have to really scrub 1 or 2 per dozen. The rest just float test, quick rinse and rub with paper towel and they're good.
View Quote

we do this:
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They last a lot longer than 2 weeks.
Do the float test. Eggs last a loooooong time unwashed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dont wash fresh eggs, do not refridge.  They will last 2 weeks that way

Yep, up to 9 months.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I don’t even like eggs that much and we have chickens running everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#28]
We sell our chicken eggs and eat our duck eggs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have twenty three that have just recently started laying (hatched July 2020).

These were the first:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/260794/8B3A65FA-1153-4AC9-A023-1DBC5A059859-1858380.jpg
View Quote

All of you guys coloring your eggs like easter is next week.

and you think that you could pick some fun colors like blue or purple.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#30]
3 hen Khaki Campbells (ducks). Adding a few more as soon as they hatch. Chickens next spring.  Too much going on this year.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, up to 9 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dont wash fresh eggs, do not refridge.  They will last 2 weeks that way

Yep, up to 9 months.
This is of interest to me as I had always read 4-6 weeks. How can you tell if they've gone bad?

Also, does anyone water glass theirs? I have a buddy that does and basically he stockpiles during the spring and summer months when the laying is good to carry him through winter and uses it as part of his flock management strategy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Eggs are regularly $.87 (I shit you not) per dozen here @ Harris Teeters.

I usually use egg beaters with one real egg added to make my morning omelette.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Everybody eats eggs.  What do you eat?

I have a friend who gives me a dozen a week from her hens.  I give her $3.00
View Quote

One of my officers raise them.  I pay $3.00 a dozen and they are the best eggs I have had in a long time.  

Good rich hearty yolks that just taste so much better than store bought.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Started ours last year. The eggs were a bit brittle so I started adding crushed oyster shell to their diet, and seems to have cleared that problem up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is of interest to me as I had always read 4-6 weeks. How can you tell if they've gone bad?

Also, does anyone water glass theirs? I have a buddy that does and basically he stockpiles during the spring and summer months when the laying is good to carry him through winter and uses it as part of his flock management strategy.
View Quote
Stick them in a bowl of water.  If they sink, they're good.  Mine don't last 9 months.  I eat a lot of eggs for the protein.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#36]
@Imminent_Decay we do that too,  but also wash the shells cook them in the oven to kill any bacteria then crush them and add that back to their feed
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Chickens? We have 6 or 7 layers. I keep losing count. Coons & Bobcats used to reek havoc on them but since I built a new coop, it keeps them at bay.
The wife feeds them table scraps & chicken feed from Tractor Supply. The biggest difference I see from store bought is the yolk. Our yolks are richer & glossier.
Our chicks lay about 1 egg a day on average. The grand kids love them too & take care of them with the wife's help.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#38]

You're wearing womens flip flops.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a house with a really nice coop and run already constructed.  Our 8 hens usually give us 5-7 eggs a day.

My GF eats a lot of eggs but we've started selling a dozen here and there since we can't keep up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And I did my nails too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top