Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2022 7:09:54 PM EDT
Just pulled a brisket out to cook this weekend
Attachment Attached File

Came from this guy who I raised and had butchered, so I want to do him justice
Attachment Attached File

That said, I've never cooked a brisket before. Tips, techniques, suggestions? Have a gas grill and a charcoal grill, no smoker.

Enlighten me with your ways
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
In before microwave
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You're halfway there, that's a boil-in-bag directly from your butcher.  Just heat up some water and enjoy straight from the pack.  Pairs nicely with ketchup.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Need to cook that low and slow for best results.

IMO, should buy an inexpensive smoker and do it right.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before microwave
View Quote

Or air fryer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Sous vide for 72 hours at 150*
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do have a chief electric smoker, but I don't know if that gets hot enough. Seldom use it
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing cosmic about cooking a brisket.

Trim excess fat. Salt and pepper rub. Cook over indirect heat until 202-205F internal. Oak smoke is traditional. Slice pencil thin and eat.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
With fire, obviously.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd make chili
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Making pulled beef?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Did I make it in before asking your husband...

Brisket needs internal at 205*   I like my brisket smoked
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Where is the rest of it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Making pulled beef?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making pulled beef?

Pulled brisket tacos with fresh tomatillo salsa and thin sliced habaneros on homemade corn tortillas
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Corned beef.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In before microwave
View Quote

12lbs. Microwave Brisket Experiment, It's Insane!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Put it in a brine and make corned beef with cabbage. Easiest way and it’s killer. OR

Since you don’t have a smoker, cook it on your BBQ using indirect heat. FAT side UP. Slow and low until the internal temp reaches a stall. Then pull it and wrap it in foil. Let it stand for another hour. Put it back on indirect heat until the temp reaches about 240. Pull it let it rest. OR

Cook it in the oven. They still come out pretty good in the oven. Go with a reverse sere method. Slow and low until you hit the stall. Pull it let it rest then crank the oven up to about 500 for about 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
With fava beans and a nice Chianti
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Disregard any advice that doesn’t come from a texan.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Texans have smokers and won’t even attempt this without one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd make chili
View Quote

It is not a bad idea. Braised in chipoltle adobo. Make chilli or tacos

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#24]
salt and pepper

225 over your wood of choice

bout an hour per pound - wrap or dont wrap at your discretion

check online for internal temps - it varies by person you ask

edit - just read you dont have a smoker - disregard everything I said - good luck.

edit #2 - could probably just do it in the oven at 225 but it wouldn't have a smoke ring or flavor
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Without a smoker i would do this...

Build a hardwood fire, allow it to burn down.
Lightly cover brisket with Coarse salt n pepper
Put brisket on a Dutch oven
Add 3 cups beef stock
2 cans stewed tomato
2 cans Chipotle in adobo sauce
4 cloves garlic diced
1 red onion coarsely chopped

Prop Dutch oven up about 6" over coals, every hour add coals on the lid over Dutch oven.
Maintain coals/fire in a manner that "feels" consistent.

Burn the actual fire about 2 feet away and transfer coals to the cook.

Probe with a meat thermometer after 4 hours.  Checking every hour after.  Feel free to stir/flip the meat.
Remove from coals after the thermometer reads 200.  Allow to sit for 30 mins.

Serve as a taco filling with cilantro, Mexican cheeses
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#26]
thaw in microwave, then trow in oven for an hour or so

cut and serve
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Smoke it...
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I do have a chief electric smoker, but I don't know if that gets hot enough. Seldom use it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, that's not gonna work.

at your local HD, WSM
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ironic
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

cut and serve
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271151/bris_jpg-2585631.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.  The chief smokers barely get hot enough to cold smoke cheese.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Grind it up, add beans, make chili!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

cut and serve

View Quote

Lol came here to post this
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ideally you'd smoke it, but you don't have a smoker.

You can definitely cook it in your charcoal grill (preferred) with the coals offset to one side (make sure your grill is big enough to do this - don't try and cook it directly over the coals), as long as you're able to maintain the temp somewhere in the neighborhood of ~225-275F for the 10-12 hours it's going to take. It's not as good as using a smoker, but you'll still get a fair bit of smoke flavor in there.

Or use your gas grill if you want (it's certainly easier), but you won't get any smoky goodness. Or hell - you can even just park it in your home oven at 225 until it's done.

For a rub, just use a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and large cracked pepper. Or hell - whatever you want. It's your brisket.

The final temp varies (no two briskets are ever the same), but it'll likely end up somewhere around 200-205F. I start checking for tenderness with my probe thermometer, once it hits around 195F. It's done when it's done - final temp be damned. It's definitely kind of a feel thing. If you want to speed it up, you can wrap the brisket tight in butcher paper once it hits around 165 and let it finish from there. You won't get any additional smoke on it from that point forward, but it'll speed it up. I probably wouldn't, on a charcoal grill (if you go that route). It needs all the smoke help it can get.

Let it rest for an hour or so. Slice against the grain, to about the width of a pencil. Enjoy.
View Quote

2 important things to add:

Take the time to separate the flat from the point. Then rub then cook

And

Use an electric knife for the slicing unless you have crazy sharp kitchen knives
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Works great for ribeyes, never tried it for brisket.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

cut and serve

View Quote

I see what you did there

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Corned beef.
View Quote

Or pastrami.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Depending on the size of the brisket and the size of your charcoal grill, you can do it if you set the grill up for two zone (coals on one side, meat on the other). Then this:

Don't go crazy on the trim, take the hard fat off where you can, level off the top and try to remove any silver skin without making gouges, fat side I'll level out if it's got a bunch of uneven spots, but otherwise pretty minimal trimming.

Basic rub: 2tbsp coarse black pepper, 1tbsp coarse kosher salt, 1tsp granulated onion, 1tsp granulated garlic. You can multiply this out as far as you'd like and make a large batch for a good all purpose seasoning. I personally use duck fat spray as a binder, but I've also used mustard, olive oil, just plain old water, and nothing.

Cook whatever temp you like and your smoker is capable of, I'm personally a hot and fast cook so my normal is 300-315, but if you want to run 225 then go for it, for wood I use a mix of oak, pecan, and cherry for beef. If I spritz, it's a light coat of duck fat spray about every hour or so.

There are no magic temps or times for the cook, every cut of meat is different, so don't get hung up on numbers. My home, catering, and comp briskets don't even get a temp probe until they're wrapped (if I wrap) or when the bark is set up. If you choose to wrap, wrap when you have a color and bark you like, I typically don't wrap briskets at home or for catering until they're done. Paper is good, it will help preseve your bark but it will wick away some surface moisture. Foil will soften your bark, but it will keep more moisture contained, and the bark can be "reset" after the rest and before slicing.

The hotter you cook the higher your finish temp will be, it takes the same relative amount of time for collagen connective tissue to break down, so "done" at 225 may be 203, where at 300 it can be 212-214, and this will also vary by the cut. When I cooked at 225 I would start probing for doneness around 200, you're looking for the feeling of a toothpick into room temp butter, very little resistance in or out. It's an acquired feeling that can be learned, take a stick of butter and sit it on your counter with a cup of toothpicks, when you walk by throughout the day, grab a toothpick and run it into the butter, you'll know when it's soft.

When your tenderness is there, pull it, leave wrapped (or wrap if you didn't during the cook), and put it in a cooler or turned off oven wrapped in old towels or a blanket for at least an hour (longer is better) to rest before slicing.

Find videos on the correct slicing if you're not sure, a quick way to screw up a great brisket is slicing it the wrong way. You want to slice across the grain, not with it, and the flat and point has grain going different directions, so separating the two is the ideal way. It's not really something I could describe here with words, but there's some excellent videos out there on it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

cut and serve

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

But earlier you said you ain't got a smoker?

For the size of that brisket, you'll be fine. At least you won't go fast and high.
You need mesquite chips.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm interested in how this turns out.

So what did you decide to do, OP?

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm interested in how this turns out.

So what did you decide to do, OP?

View Quote

Haven't done it yet, was going to thaw it out for Friday or Saturday
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

That will absolutely do it.  it will just take a day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally an update. Ended up cooking it on my gas grill using the smoker tube. Only a 6.5 pound brisket, from a smaller steer I had butchered. Not huge, but mine.

Put it on about 9àm, cooked until 7pm, rested an hour, and cut. Stayed about 250-270 the whole time.  Was well received by family, my 10 year old son said it was the best meat he'd ever eaten, and brought leftovers for lunch. Ate it later in the week and it tasted better everytime
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Now I need a true smoker, so next time I'll do better!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Finally an update. Ended up cooking it on my gas grill using the smoker tube. Only a 6.5 pound brisket, from a smaller steer I had butchered. Not huge, but mine.

Put it on about 9àm, cooked until 7pm, rested an hour, and cut. Stayed about 250-270 the whole time.  Was well received by family, my 10 year old son said it was the best meat he'd ever eaten, and brought leftovers for lunch. Ate it later in the week and it tasted better everytime
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66713/IMG_20221108_192641277_jpg-2599309.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66713/IMG_20221108_192627268_jpg-2599311.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66713/IMG_20221108_193412724_jpg-2599313.JPG

Now I need a true smoker, so next time I'll do better!
View Quote

Pellet smoker FTW
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nothing cosmic about cooking a brisket.

Trim excess fat. Salt and pepper rub. Cook over indirect heat until 202-205F internal. Oak smoke is traditional. Slice pencil thin and eat.
View Quote

do you separate the point and flat or cook the whole packer?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

do you separate the point and flat or cook the whole packer?
View Quote

???

I think the whole thing thing. I cut the thick fat off. Same as the package picture, just less fat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top