Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2023 11:48:54 AM EDT
Ten years ago today, SOKC and. Moore, OK was ravaged by yet another EF5. Those of us that went through it, remember it like it was yesterday

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Veterans park. I call this picture “Standing Watch”
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Horrific.  Wasn't there a similar tornado in Missouri one or more years later?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Joplin tornado was in 2011.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
That photo with the American flag among all the destruction is exactly why I won't live there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Remember it vividly. We were launched from Elk City right after , ended up landing at Will Rogers since there were some aircraft safety concerns about getting too close. We ended up spending the next 24 hours with the US Marshalls aiding in the SAR effort. There was no shortage of help, Tinker mobilized an amazing amount of volunteers that night.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Had two kids in Briarwood, the oldest just graduated from OU last week.  We lived a couple blocks east of there.  My wife and son survived in bathtub.  Yeah I’ll never forget that day.  I never take bad weather lightly anymore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Joplin has been 12 years. It was like the very hand of God reached down on SW Missouri as some sort of punishment. His ways are a mystery for sure.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That photo with the American flag among all the destruction is exactly why I won't live there.
View Quote

I guess I see at as a symbol of "we shall overcome."

What do you see it as?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]

That’s enough information all one needs. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I live in Edmond now but once my youngest graduates I hope to move back.  I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather live than Moore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Nature is scary.

I was shocked about that tornado dancing on the mountain tops of Montana.  My classmate's parents lived about 15 miles (crow flight) from it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What do you see it as?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you see it as?

Say what you want about Okies, but Oklahoma has a whole history of “We did overcome” moments.  

Oklahoma is not a place for wimps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Joplin tornado was in 2011.
View Quote

And the Moore EF5 is the last one we’ve seen. Hasn’t been one since.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had two kids in Briarwood, the oldest just graduated from OU last week.  We lived a couple blocks east of there.  My wife and son survived in bathtub.  Yeah I’ll never forget that day.  I never take bad weather lightly anymore.
View Quote

We had just put in our underground storm shelter the year before.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Say what you want about Okies, but Oklahoma has a whole history of “We did overcome” moments.  

View Quote

@Alacran
Truth here. We rebuilt. I’m not going to let a tornado scare me into moving away from the place that worked so hard to get, but the place I love more than anything

Divorced now and don’t own that house anymore, but I’m still living here
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Alacran
Truth here. We rebuilt. I’m not going to let a tornado scare me into moving away from the place that worked so hard to get, but the place I love more than anything

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Alacran

I also don’t think it’s just a coincidence that one of the more famous Westerns took place in Oklahoma was called True Grit.

I have family connections in Oklahoma and I’m also old enough to remember back in the late 70s, early 80s when American Indians would have a pow wow and burn down the wooden bridges only to have a car go careening into the North Canadian River the next morning.  They finally built concrete bridges to put and end to that one.  lol. I sure never had to worry about something like that happening in Texas.

The Oklahoma City bombing is what really showed the world what true Oklahomans were all about.  I knew people who were there and their names are carved on the wall of the killed & injured at the Memorial.  There were no catchy slogans like Boston Strong back then.  Besides, Oklahoma wouldn’t have put up with something so pathetic as that anyway.  They just continued on.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]
We had a strong EF4 borderline 5 - Dec 2021. We are still dealing with the damage in Western KY.  To drive the entire path would take 2.5 - 3 hours.

At our EF level, Superduty’s we’re getting thrown. EF5 IS THE HAND OF GOD.

I’ve experienced 4 close tornadoes in my life. Underground is only answer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Was in Prague when it happened, something I'll never forget.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Was in Prague when it happened, something I'll never forget.
View Quote

I still remember the 1999 Moore F5 leveling the Tanger outlet center in Stroud.

I had a friend survive the Joplin tornado, she was in duenweg, I didn't know she was still alive for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I watch the weather closely - especially this time of year. If there is a thunderstorm warning my awareness goes way the hell up as Middle Tennessee seems to be Tornado Alley these days. My fiance lives just over the mountains in North Carolina - and I am always watching her weather too. She tells me I worry to much. She has never experienced a real tornado - obviously. I have been through an EF-2 and that was enough for me. When Mother Nature is mad about something you ain't being a tough guy outside watching it. You are being a fool IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#22]
In the Moore OK event, how many homes were destroyed and how many people were killed?

In that picture places were obliterated.   Finding a safe place in most homes for that case seems almost impossible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#23]
1999 and 2013.  Bad points in time for Moore OK.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We had a strong EF4 borderline 5 - Dec 2021. We are still dealing with the damage in Western KY.  To drive the entire path would take 2.5 - 3 hours.

At our EF level, Superduty’s we’re getting thrown. EF5 IS THE HAND OF GOD.

I’ve experienced 4 close tornadoes in my life. Underground is only answer.
View Quote

EF 4 and 5 you just don't make it if above ground and take a direct hit.

I remember watching a livestream of the Mayfield night.  Terrifying.

The Jarrell TX 1997 tornado was another doozy.  EF5 that moved like 6 MPH and just sat on the town with wind speeds 275 MPH+.  They said animals and people were de-skinned and the latter needed to be identified by dental records.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In the Moore OK event, how many homes were destroyed and how many people were killed?

In that picture places were obliterated.   Finding a safe place in most homes for that case seems almost impossible.
View Quote

Still no exact number but the estimate is 300-350. here are the basic stats

Meteorological history
Duration39 minutes
Formed2:56 p.m. CDT (UTC-05:00), May 20, 2013
Dissipated3:35 p.m. CDT (UTC-05:00), May 20, 2013
EF5 tornadoon the Enhanced Fujita scale
Highest winds210 mph (340 km/h)
Overall effects
Fatalities24 (+2 indirect)
Injuries212
Damage$2 billion (estimate)[1]

ETA: there was a CNN "journalist" reporting that said something like "I've been to war zones across this planet and i have NEVER seen anything like this."
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#26]
ETA: eh that lil quip might not play well.

Wonder why that area got hit that consistently.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They dont know, but the National Severe Storms Laboratory is actively researching that exact thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#28]
In the early 2000’s, I was wanting to get my first high quality gun safe and remembered seeing Bear Safes do the Market Hall gunshows in Dallas.  I liked the slick, clean door design that didn’t have any protruding knobs or handles, went to their website to check on configurations & pricing and saw how one survived the 1999 tornado.  I ended up driving to OKC, bought my safe, and brought it back home. No regrets to this day!

https://bearsafes.com/about/tornado-protection/

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
The photo featuring the American flag.

Quoted:

What do you see it as?
View Quote
@CastleBravo91

Sorry - I was focusing on the destruction surrounding the beautiful statement the flag makes. The flag reflects the strength of the people, the rest of the photo pays tribute to the strength of the weather. I had the luxury of a choice where to retire and choose not to test my strength against Mother Nature's. I shopped property in very few areas of the country - no tornados, hurricanes, liberals, blizzards, or earthquakes.

I might have under estimated the impact of 70 to 120 inches of snow a year. May be.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Joplin has been 12 years. It was like the very hand of God reached down on SW Missouri as some sort of punishment. His ways are a mystery for sure.
View Quote

There are a lot of gays in Joplin.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Beautiful State and People.

I like Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#32]
The remains of these places hit by tornadoes reminds me of a meat grinder

Everything has been chewed by the wind

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There are a lot of gays in Joplin.
View Quote
a lot of good people, too.  i helped in joplin for months afterward. spoke to a lot of people that lost all their shit and survived by  being behind the one wall that survived of their house. every one of them said the same thing: we're just happy to be alive, everything else is just stuff that can be replaced.  when i first got there, i figured the death toll would be in the thousands, as it was a 'finger of God' type scene. just twisted stuff everywhere. i have a lot of stories abour ir.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in Mayes County, a solid 120 or miles away from Moore. And I remember watching those storm cells move north-eastward. And hearing the ham radio chatter. I was like, “holy fuck, what if this thing makes it up here?!” Moore wasn’t the only tornado that spun up that night. It was just the biggest and deadliest. They were all over the state.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I am in SW OK and the storms seem to start where I am at and then track NE towards the OKC metro area.

We make sure to stay weather aware but the thing I learned years ago is to watch the clouds. If the clouds are boiling or if they are brilliant colors, dark blues, green, purplish, etc., things are going to be dicey.  

You can also feel it in the air.  Its hard to explain if you have never experienced it but you can feel a bad storm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You can also feel it in the air.  Its hard to explain if you have never experienced it but you can feel a bad storm.
View Quote

You can definitely feel it in the air. Not sure if it’s barometric pressure drop, or static electricity or what. And when the sky turns green, you better get your shit together cause Mother Nature is about to FO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You can definitely feel it in the air. Not sure if it’s barometric pressure drop, or static electricity or what. And when the sky turns green, you better get your shit together cause Mother Nature is about to FO.
View Quote

I had that happen back around early summer 2005 or 2006. Storms all day and then around 7 shit started to go sideways. Everything felt different. I was working in a plant at the time and the place got "Really" dark. We didn't loose power, BUT the sky got as dark as I have EVER Seen it in my lifetime for that time of day. Went to  look at the front of the plant due east and went outside. Went to the guard shack to check on them and the SKY was GREEN. Almost a GLOWY green. IT was wild. almost

Then we found out the tornado started Due west, basically behind us. Then jumped across a ridgeline and then while still turning and not on the ground crossed the highway and then back on the ground after it got across the other ridgeline. Fucked up some warehouses in Adairsville and some plants too. IT was a EF2ish I think. Nobody died but some did come close.  One guy supposedly opened one of the back doors at one of the carpet warehouses Because he heard a "Train". Then saw  the thing coming maybe 500 yards away. Shut the door and Locked it. LOLOL  Dove between some carpet rolls and started praying. After it was over the Door and frame were still there. That little part of the building was gone. The Racks with carpet rolls in them was still there. Power came back on and they moved all the rolls to the other part of the warehouse.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Took my wife through Kansas to show where I grew up.  Told her to remember Hutchinson, and Lindsborg.

Because when we got to Greensburg, it was different.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:28:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, the more colors mixed in those clouds is never a good thing.  I have seen it so green it almost had a glow to it, thats when you know its about to get exciting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep, the more colors mixed in those clouds is never a good thing.  I have seen it so green it almost had a glow to it, thats when you know its about to get exciting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, goin green means gigantic hail… gigantic hail means extremely strong, rotating updraft… extremely strong rotating updraft means the possibility of massive tornadoes.

ETA: estimated updraft velocity in this tornado was 150+ mph. This is just the mesocyclone, not the tornado
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In the early 2000’s, I was wanting to get my first high quality gun safe and remembered seeing Bear Safes do the Market Hall gunshows in Dallas.  I liked the slick, clean door design that didn’t have any protruding knobs or handles, went to their website to check on configurations & pricing and saw how one survived the 1999 tornado.  I ended up driving to OKC, bought my safe, and brought it back home. No regrets to this day!

https://bearsafes.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/May-3-1999-Tornado-495x280.png

View Quote

my wife's best friend and her husband own Bear Safes.
outstanding people and they make a tornado closet/safe combo.

they have several safes that have stood up to Tornado's.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I watch the air in the mornings.
if the air is a green haze.... then a weird green/blue combo..not just high up, but low to the ground like a hazy green dry mist.

lookout and be aware. shit is about to get real. the air you breath is odd and indescribable. but instantaneously you know something is bad.

you know it and feel it when you step off the porch that something is building.
my neighbor and I leave for work at the same time and both of us do the same thing.
look down the street, then up in the air and we will comment on it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:24:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
if the air is a green haze.... then a weird green/blue combo..not just high up, but low to the ground like a hazy green dry mist.

lookout and be aware. shit is about to get real. the air you breath is odd and indescribable. but instantaneously you know something is bad.

my neighbor and I leave for work at the same time and both of us do the same thing.
View Quote

That’s how you know you’re an okie. You step outside in the morning and you just know the weather is gonna get bad just by the way it feels.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That’s how you know you’re an okie. You step outside in the morning and you just know the weather is gonna get bad just by the way it feels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So very true. It's impossible to explain but you can feel it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:30:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I encourage all of you to take and complete the basic COMET/MetEd Skywarn Spotter course. It’s free and takes about 90 minutes to complete.

https://www.weather.gov/skywarn/
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://bearsafes.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/May-3-1999-Tornado-495x280.png

That’s cool!  I do love their unique design.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

my friends and I have talked about this.
I think its Memory DNA

I've caught little kids talking about the weather like this.

the other thing is the hot wind, you can feel the energy in it. it reminds me of a pressure cooker with steam escaping.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Zero chance I’d ever live in Moore. None. Mother Nature hates that town.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That’s cool!  I do love their unique design.

View Quote

I've been in there visiting them several times and watched them make the safe's.

with the lock design, I think they would stand up to the fires of hell.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Zero chance I’d ever live in Moore. None. Mother Nature hates that town.
View Quote

its the heat of the OKC metro, it kicks things up a notch.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top