BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cummins is probably like Ford, Gm, Toyota who all want to dream about making ICE engines forever because that's their whole business.

But Chevy, ford, Toyota all got dunked on by musk. Musk was right then and they were all wrong.

I don't think OTR is going to be flipped but full load 500 miles is a shot across the bow.

People thought ICE vehicles were impossible and a toy compared to horse teamsters at first. That the logistics were simply impossible for the millions of Mechanics and roads and gas stations necessary for those "logistics" as well.

But necessity is the mother of invention. The capacity grew with the demand.
View Quote
You're drinking too much of the kool-aid.  Toyota is still betting on hydrogen and the big 3 are going balls out down the lithium path.  They will out produce Tesla in very short order. Don't let the market cap fool you, the big 3 are giants and Toyota beats them.  Tesla market cap is based on hype and the fact that Musk did beat the majors to the punch.  Ford and GM both beat him out the gate with a truck. GM has a couple. They're stupid but they are out there  

Right now batteries have a capacity issue. Fix that and it's a legit truck power source, right now it is not.  The energy density required for heavy duty trucks doesn't scale in current battery tech.

Musk deserves credit for pushing the bounds, especially with space X. But until the battery tech is there I don't see him owning much of the medium and heavy duty market
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Weird, the driver sits in the center of the cab.
View Quote

Which is cool until it isn't.

Literally everywhere you go in a freight truck you have to talk to a security booth or swipe a badge.

Then there's the Border Patrol checkpoints.  And scales.  And DOT inspections.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What we don’t know is:

Where is the economic price floor for battery technology?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What we don’t know is:

Where is the economic price floor for battery technology?

It's based on resource scarcity and the rare earth minerals needed for li-ion batteries.  That scarcity timeline is FAR shorter than hydrocarbons.

Where is the economic price floor for hydrogen technology?

This economic floor isn't based on the economics.  Let's assume the technology improves thus improving the economics.  The achilles heel to hydrogen is the pollution to generate the fuel.  Environmentalists will have a field day.  Think 10x the pollution costs to current EV raw material extraction costs.

How will politics affect all this?

If EVs solve the 'ClImaTe CrIsIs' then hydrogen is useless.

How will the drop of hydrocarbon prices affect the adoption rate of non-ICE vehicles?

Etc.

See above.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You're drinking too much of the kool-aid.  Toyota is still betting on hydrogen and the big 3 are going balls out down the lithium path.  They will out produce Tesla in very short order. Don't let the market cap fool you, the big 3 are giants and Toyota beats them.  Tesla market cap is based on hype and the fact that Musk did beat the majors to the punch.  Ford and GM both beat him out the gate with a truck. GM has a couple. They're stupid but they are out there  

Right now batteries have a capacity issue. Fix that and it's a legit truck power source, right now it is not.  The energy density required for heavy duty trucks doesn't scale in current battery tech.

Musk deserves credit for pushing the bounds, especially with space X. But until the battery tech is there I don't see him owning much of the medium and heavy duty market
View Quote

Agreed.

Economics 101 tells us that the first to market rarely holds the top spot for very long.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
It may have niche applications for in-city transfers and moving containers around ports and things of that nature. I straight up don't buy the 500 mile range claim, maybe on paper it can hit that at 72 degrees on flat ground. In real world use...no way.

Until we have either a revolution in energy storage, like 500 Wh/kg hyper-capacitors or some sort of battery chemistry that doesn't needs close to no platinum group metals.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agreed.

Economics 101 tells us that the first to market rarely holds the top spot for very long.
View Quote
Wasn't first to market the GM EV1?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not up on the capabilities for the economics of ramping output of nuclear to load match. If that can even be done.

But that's why (assuming nukes can load match and save money)

1. Nuclear.
2. Solar (basically Free energy that helps load match for AC's in most of the US).
3. Practical energy storage followed by the greeny weeny shit.

Greeny weeny shit doesn't seem like practical use until practical energy storage allows you to store the energy.

After you can store LOTS of energy then just find the best way to gather it for as little output as possible. Wind farms, etc.  become somewhat reliable then.

View Quote
Nuclear starts...goes to a high fraction of rated output...and pretty much stays there for months at a time.  It is a base load generation technology.  It does not load shape.  Natgas turbines load shape, solar and wind don't do anything predictable and therefor require natgas or hydro generation on hot standby to keep the grid stable.

Solar and wind are a net negative on a power grid.  Look at Germany. It's all bullshit quasi religious dogma.  

I'm all for conserving our planet, but we need to cut the bullshit and engineer real solutions that won't collapse our society in pursuit of a mythical good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  You can't be considered first to market if no one buys your product.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It’s a toy because it’s not a money making asset.  It’s done mostly, for marketing purposes. I’m sure the economic costs have been projected and shared by Tesla with their larger buyers. As they all have to justify these costs, as they’re publicly traded companies.

The boom-bust cycle of fuel / oil will continue. EVs will add to the chaos that already has started. As will hydrogen. The government has failed worse than private industry, in stopping the boom bust cycle of oil.
View Quote

If you buy something today that isnt profitable, but you think it will be in the future, then it isn't a toy.

As to cost to drive, they are saying its better then 2kwh a mile. So just calling it 2kwh to be safe, at $0.1kWh (more then I pay at night), that means it did its 500 mile trip on under $100 in energy cost. My Jeep cant do that.  

If Pepsi did get them at $150k (doubt for 500 mile range model) but lets say maybe. They also get a $40k tax credit for buying an all electric semi and 30% of the cost of charging infrastructure is a tax write off. Im guessing its not a big loss for them if a loss at all.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I still like these Canadians with what they are doing. They are using Tesla batteries and a drive motor, then they put a big diesel generator under the hood. The truck runs on the batteries, as the batteries drain, then the generator kicks on and recharges the batteries. To me this makes more sense than an only electric vehicle.

https://www.edisonmotors.ca/

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nuclear starts...goes to a high fraction of rated output...and pretty much stays there for months at a time.  It is a base load generation technology.  It does not load shape.  Natgas turbines load shape, solar and wind don't do anything predictable and therefor require natgas or hydro generation on hot standby to keep the grid stable.

Solar and wind are a net negative on a power grid.  Look at Germany. It's all bullshit quasi religious dogma.  

I'm all for conserving our planet, but we need to cut the bullshit and engineer real solutions that won't collapse our society in pursuit of a mythical good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not up on the capabilities for the economics of ramping output of nuclear to load match. If that can even be done.

But that's why (assuming nukes can load match and save money)

1. Nuclear.
2. Solar (basically Free energy that helps load match for AC's in most of the US).
3. Practical energy storage followed by the greeny weeny shit.

Greeny weeny shit doesn't seem like practical use until practical energy storage allows you to store the energy.

After you can store LOTS of energy then just find the best way to gather it for as little output as possible. Wind farms, etc.  become somewhat reliable then.

Ok cool!  Thanks for the info.

Nuclear, hydro best case should be your minimum?

Then you load match with NatGas bascially and other HC’s?

So would the only greeny Weeny way forward be to hopefully load match with some practical battery set up like mechanical batteries or maybe lithium?

Once you have that you simply find the most effective or green ways to load up your energy stored including NatGas/coal if necessary?

Practical large scale energy storage is fascinating btw.

Vacuumed flywheels, gravity batteries, molten deep cycle batteries etc.

Will any of them be practical? Idk :(
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Baker made electric vehicles like 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I still like these Canadians with what they are doing. They are using Tesla batteries and a drive motor, then they put a big diesel generator under the hood. The truck runs on the batteries, as the batteries drain, then the generator kicks on and recharges the batteries. To me this makes more sense than an only electric vehicle.

https://www.edisonmotors.ca/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V64TMuJqecE
View Quote

Diesel electric always seemed the smartest way forward for me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The only way this thing is the future is with the threat of government guns, same as any other EV.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
they mentioned that electric trucks can go up to 82k lbs
View Quote

I worked for EV heavy equipment and class-8 truck & bus development and 2k lbs increase doesn't help.

KW day cab ICE and same spec electric had appprox. 8k lbs net weight difference (EV being 8k heavier) so the DOT gcw limit would need to be 88k or more.

EV doesn't allow tag axle so these can't be used to pull overweight lowboys etc as the batteries consume the space of tag axle.

Likewise the reefer trailers, currently they run Thermo King or Carrier diesel units, EV would ofcourse require electric reefer and they consume arms and legs of electricity so the trailer would need to have own battery pack, another 8-10k lbs payload reduction...
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No lol, are you a trucker?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric makes far more sense for trucking than it does for personally-owned vehicles.

I have no idea if the Tesla version is going to be successful, but it’s coming in one form or another.

No lol, are you a trucker?

No, but I worked in the industry for a few years. Not everything is long haul. It’s a hell of a lot easier to install infrastructure at a yard for a few dozen trucks than it is to install charging stations in a bunch of homes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I worked for EV heavy equipment and class-8 truck & bus development and 2k lbs increase doesn't help.

KW day cab ICE and same spec electric had appprox. 8k lbs net weight difference (EV being 8k heavier) so the DOT gcw limit would need to be 88k or more.

EV doesn't allow tag axle so these can't be used to pull overweight lowboys etc as the batteries consume the space of tag axle.

Likewise the reefer trailers, currently they run Thermo King or Carrier diesel units, EV would ofcourse require electric reefer and they consume arms and legs of electricity so the trailer would need to have own battery pack, another 8-10k lbs payload reduction...
View Quote

Refer units can be converted to run on both diesel and electric.

Looking back we installed 30A 480V to each unit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

At least with traditional fuel rod reactors, can't fission rate be throttled via control rods?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm sure they'll find some good uses for them. A couple of the truckers here talked about running to Sacramento or San Francisco daily. San Fran would be just over 500 miles round trip so maybe you could make it if you were empty one way. There's also a mountain pass so maybe that negates it all. Fun to find out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which is probably the extra 2k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tractor is around 27k pounds. A diesel tractor is around 25k pounds. Not a huge difference.  I mean current trucks hold up to 300 gallons of diesel that's an extra 2,100lbs for a full tank.

Remember, they have a weight allowance for APUs. I think they are trying to keep the numbers up on freight capacity.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You need competent labor and reliable processes to make that happen and you're adding a lot of weight to ensure the battery mounts can handle getting hit by a forklift daily. The safety aspect of an external lithium battery with no crash protection is terrible as well. Charging infrastructure is far simpler than quick change infrastructure when you factor in the labor alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about external battery mounts with quick change interface?
You need competent labor and reliable processes to make that happen and you're adding a lot of weight to ensure the battery mounts can handle getting hit by a forklift daily. The safety aspect of an external lithium battery with no crash protection is terrible as well. Charging infrastructure is far simpler than quick change infrastructure when you factor in the labor alone.
Maybe not, if automated. Driverless trucks pull into an automated yard. Computers guide and control operations. Trucks can be swapped under trailers if there is a fault. Planning yard locations to handle truck limits and freight transfer points.
The only downside I see to Driverless trucks is high jacking.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the United States, nuclear plants amount to about 19% of generating capacity. Nuclear power plants have high fixed costs and low variable costs, so it makes the most economic sense to operate nuclear power plants as base load plants near full capacity. Natural gas or other plants depending on generator mix are used to follow loads.

Even when most power was overwhelming coal powered and natural gas was almost nonexistent, some smaller coal plants were used as peaking plants and larger coal plants were base load although they could load follow if required.

In France, where 75% of power is nuclear, some nuclear plants are operated as load followers out of necessity. Others function as base load. Germany also operated nuclear plants as load followers at some point.

Nuclear plants can be operated as load followers. In the United States, under present conditions, it does not make sense to do so.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
EV1 wasn't available for sale. It was lease only.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Many of the hydrogen research is spurred by government money

Many of the EV sales are spurred by taxes

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The EV1 was desired by consumers, but the claim by GM that it was something like a $75k car leasing for less than half that.  It wasn't economically viable at that lease rate despite the consumer like of the vehicle.

There were many EV attempts long prior to the EV1
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ok cool!  Thanks for the info.

Nuclear, hydro best case should be your minimum?

Then you load match with NatGas bascially and other HC's?

So would the only greeny Weeny way forward be to hopefully load match with some practical battery set up like mechanical batteries or maybe lithium?

Once you have that you simply find the most effective or green ways to load up your energy stored including NatGas/coal if necessary?

Practical large scale energy storage is fascinating btw.

Vacuumed flywheels, gravity batteries, molten deep cycle batteries etc.

Will any of them be practical? Idk :(
View Quote
The post was misleading and technically incorrect. Nuclear power plants can and do load follow in France and Germany.  (Germans may be shutting down nuclear and going to wood and coal because no Russian gas and environmentalists who are always wrong)

Energy storage is always useful and desirable. New battery technologies are being worked on that make some scale of storage possible.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Diesel electric always seemed the smartest way forward for me.
View Quote

Or maybe Natgas electric ?,    How many buyers will have a Natgas genset powering the charge station or at least the backup source .   Letourneau back in the 1950's was big into Diesel electric and that trend should have continued.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Remember, they have a weight allowance for APUs. I think they are trying to keep the numbers up on freight capacity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tractor is around 27k pounds. A diesel tractor is around 25k pounds. Not a huge difference.  I mean current trucks hold up to 300 gallons of diesel that's an extra 2,100lbs for a full tank.

The APU weight allowance is not nationwide.  Some states don't allow it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

At least with traditional fuel rod reactors, can't fission rate be throttled via control rods?
View Quote
That's how the French do it with PWR's.

They have special control rods that are specifically for fine tuning reaction rate rather than shutting down the reactor.

The fact that PWR's and BWR's can load follow does not mean that a specific unit can. It also doesn't mean the unit is licensed to do so.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In the United States, nuclear plants amount to about 19% of generating capacity. Nuclear power plants have high fixed costs and low variable costs, so it makes the most economic sense to operate nuclear power plants as base load plants near full capacity. Natural gas or other plants depending on generator mix are used to follow loads.

Even when most power was overwhelming coal powered and natural gas was almost nonexistent, some smaller coal plants were used as peaking plants and larger coal plants were base load although they could load follow if required.

In France, where 75% of power is nuclear, some nuclear plants are operated as load followers out of necessity. Others function as base load. Germany also operated nuclear plants as load followers at some point.

Nuclear plants can be operated as load followers. In the United States, under present conditions, it does not make sense to do so.
View Quote
Makes sense.  Obviously they can be throttled but I figured there were technical reasons why it wasn't common.  Don't typical reactors get funky at low power, xenon burn off and stuff like that?

Why aren't plants in the US licensed to load follow?  Is it a technical limitation or just no economical because natgas plants are better at it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Electric makes far more sense for trucking than it does for personally-owned vehicles.

I have no idea if the Tesla version is going to be successful, but it’s coming in one form or another.
View Quote

Personal vehicles have a typical utilization of 5%; trucks maybe 25%.

Agree.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, that said the electric reefer will need another battery pack as it can't run from the truck otherwise there isn't much mileage left.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Correct, that said the electric reefer will need another battery pack as it can't run from the truck otherwise there isn't much mileage left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could they just do a standalone diesel reefer? That would be pretty funny and save all that precious energy for the truck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's how the French do it with PWR's.

They have special control rods that are specifically for fine tuning reaction rate rather than shutting down the reactor.

The fact that PWR's and BWR's can load follow does not mean that a specific unit can. It also doesn't mean the unit is licensed to do so.
View Quote
And chemistry changes in BWRs coolant and flux shaping rods in PWRs.

Do BWRs have flux shaping rods as well?

I didn't mean to imply they couldn't be throttled, uts just not the way they are operated in the US.

As far as storage for solar and wind, it's certainly needed but short of something like pumped storage these things don't exist at at meaningful scale yet do they?

The impact of solar and wind on grid stability is a real issue isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The battery in a passenger car weighs that much.   A rig would need 10s of thousands of pounds of battery to haul OTR full weight loads for 10 hours straight.

It'll be interesting to see this play out.
View Quote

The engine and transmission in a semi weigh 1.5 tons~. This subtracted from the tractor gives you some payload be batteries. Not to mention another thousand pounds of fuel this truck doesn’t need.  3500 pounds of fuel and drivetrain lost and 1000 pounds for electric drivetrain give you 4K pounds of cargo.  

I was driving a dedicated route to Pennsylvania from central Ohio. Columbus to Pittsburgh.  390 miles round trip.  

The Tesla truck would fit this route well.  

I’m a CDL driver and am excited.  DEF trucks are not dependable and electric drivetrains are very dependable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Weird, the driver sits in the center of the cab.
View Quote

The side cameras pop out so there isn’t a blind side.  This is a plus.

CDL driver.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The engine and transmission in a semi weigh 1.5 tons~. This subtracted from the tractor gives you some payload be batteries. Not to mention another thousand pounds of fuel this truck doesn't need.  3500 pounds of fuel and drivetrain lost and 1000 pounds for electric drivetrain give you 4K pounds of cargo.  

I was driving a dedicated route to Pennsylvania from central Ohio. Columbus to Pittsburgh.  390 miles round trip.  

The Tesla truck would fit this route well.  

I'm a CDL driver and am excited.  DEF trucks are not dependable and electric drivetrains are very dependable.
View Quote
DEF trucks especially early on were horrible, then covid killed the parts supply chain, so they went down and stayed down.  I get that.  Like has been said this truck will work well for day trips where it's back at the yard on a dedicated charger.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lets go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YoBiNhjMPg

Get your cameras ready for the most badass battery fire evah.

View Quote

My body is ready

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top