Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyFive] [#1]
Mike Rowe  discusses Ivy League schools and the 'protestors';

Mike Rowe, the award-winning host of such shows as "Dirty Jobs" and "Somebody's Gotta Do it," has seen what's going on at college campuses around the U.S.   and he feels the way you and I probably do about it, pretty much.

Rowe posted a long statement to social media platform X Monday with a statement excoriating Columbia University and its president for their handling of the now week-long anti-Israel protests and "encampment" on school grounds.

Being a solutions-oriented guy, Rowe suggested some   both for the university itself, and for Americans fed up with the situation at our institutes of higher education

First off, stop supporting Ivy League schools financially.

"For a guy who runs a foundation that sends young people to trade schools all over America   trade schools where I'm pleased to report, no one is calling for the extermination of Jews   today's headlines are once again offering another excellent reason to consider redirecting whatever financial support you might earmark for the Ivy League, to the mikeroweWORKS Foundation," he wrote.

"Why?" he asked rhetorically. "Because the Ivy League has truly lost its mind."

Gee, Mike. Don't beat around the bush. Tell us how you really feel.

What set Rowe off specifically was the fact that Columbia University President Nemat "Minouche" Shafik   an American economist who was born in Egypt   had "aannounced a new round of remote learning" to ensure the safety of Columbia's student body and allow some time for tensions to cool.

"If I had a kid at Columbia, I'd be livid," Rowe wrote. "It's simply mind-boggling that the president of this university would rather consign her students to another crucible of remote learning, than permanently expel the protesters." "That's what you get for $68,000 a year at Columbia   an administration who cowers in the face of thugs and bullies, and a university president who would rather make your kids try to learn off campus, than take a truly hard line with those students calling for the murder of Jews," he wrote.

"For the love of God, expel them,"
he added after describing some of the more egregious examples of anti-Semitism that have been seen at Columbia recently. "Calling for murder is not protected speech."

One can only imagine how Rowe is feeling today, after Shafik set a midnight Tuesday deadline for protesters to dismantle their tent city and remove themselves from campus, and then backed down, giving another 48 hours for talks to continue, as The Western Journal noted earlier.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Expel and jail is the correct answer to these murderous rapist supporters.
And if they resist, good shoot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:22:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Palm] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Interesting, at least on face.  UT has their own police department.  They usually don't like other's playing on their turf.  I find it hard to believe troupers were on UT dirt without UT asking for assistance.  UT, a liberal school, asking for assistance against liberal protesters - now that could be interesting.

Protesters claim UT called for assistance - hard to tell.  Real issue is that it does not appear these were UT student protestors - so UT probably just wanted them off it's lawn.
View Quote

DPS’s turf is Texas. They play where ever they want to play in Texas. Gov Abbot pays attention to what happens in Austin and will bring them in at a drop of the hat to restore order.

Texas DPS is truly one of those agencies that follow the policy of Ask, Tell, Do. It is best to comply at the ask point in time.  You sure as hell don’t want to get to their Do point in time. Those guys are all in top physical condition and make a living by fighting mean drunks on the side of the road. You tie one on with them, you will very likely have a bad case of road rash on your nose within seconds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Palm:

DPS’s turf is Texas. They play where ever they want to play in Texas. Gov Abbot pays attention to what happens in Austin and will bring them in at a door of the hat to restore order.

Texas DPS is truly one of those agencies that follow the policy of Ask, Tell, Do. It is best to comply at the ask point in time.  You sure as hell don’t want to get to their Do point in time. Those guys are all in top physical condition and make a living by fighting mean drunks on the side of the road. You tie one on with them, you will very likely have a bad case of road rash on your nose within seconds.
View Quote

DPS does not fuck around
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
IZ really needs to lay into the palis in the first couple of weeks of August.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
I'm waiting to see if the ultra woke DA in Travis County (Austin) will actually file charges on any of the people arrested.
View Quote

In the past legislator session a law was passed removing the discretion of the DA to prosecute or not prosecute in criminal cases.  They can face serious penalties if they start playing the Soros card.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

UTPD has a large number of non commissioned officers but they do have a department of commissioned officers also. At one time the UT system was the third largest police department in the state.

View Quote

The UT system PD is still pretty significant—it’s the fourth largest department of sworn officers in the state.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikeforces] [#8]
Defund UT....and bust up the Permanent University Fund ...worth Billions.

Some rediculous amount...like Eleventy-Billion

Send some to other schools who can actually put the money to good use.

https://www.utsystem.edu/puf
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:09:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#10]
Fuck, it was a drum. 😢
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I wasn’t there on campus, so I don’t have a good picture of what happened.  Were the protesters out of hand?   Did DPS overreach?   I look forward to reading more about what happened to better understand today’s events.

It sounds like Hartzell, the UT president, is getting roasted for his reply.  I don’t yet have an opinion on that.  

And for the record, I’m of the mind that Hamas FAFO.  But I’m also of the mind that we Americans have the right to free speech, even if that speech is unpopular.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
“hundreds of troopers?”

I doubt it. I seriously doubt that any state, including Texas can mass hundreds of state cops on short notice to assist a university. There just isn’t manpower.
View Quote

TX DPS has had huge amounts of extra Troopers in Austin and on the border for quite some time.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By catrepair:
Personally I always thought Texas was a little heavy-handed in Waco
View Quote

Things kind of went sideways when that 1%er came out of the bathroom and blew the other 1%er's head off.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By _DR:

UT Austin is very much more likely to encourage anti-United States activism among it's student body than expell any activists.

UT has been a liberal faculty enclave for years.

View Quote

UT just shutdown and laid off their entire DEI department to comply with SB17.  A&M, North Texas, and other state schools are resisting.  The UT administration seems much less liberal than it used to be.  Faculty is a different matter.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top