Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hbilly:
seldom scene
doing my time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tquDZ3FDPI
View Quote
That was damn good! Merry Christmas, hbilly!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Buona Natalie, Fratellis!!

Christmas Day!!!!

Let's get to the music, shall we...
Bing Crosby, David Bowie - Peace On Earth / Little Drummer Boy
Santa Claus And His Old Lady
Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas (Official 4K Video)
Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody - Official Video
Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto-James Brown
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
John Lennon ~ So this is Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If We Make It Through December
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Kate Bush - December Will Be Magic Again (1979 Xmas Special)
Donny Hathaway - This Christmas (Official Music Video)

Last Song! No idea how it became a classic Christmas song. Odd that it did. This version was recorded 4 years before the movie came out, so it was an unknown song for the masses, but is a Jazz Masterpiece. And, yes, it's 1961, but that was the year I was born, so this is my Christmas present!!! (I've literally heard this song more than other any other.)

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The Who By Numbers (1975) would be the beginning of the end for The Who. Way too much in-fighting and Keith Moon's drug and alcohol problems would be the end of it. It turns out that the only two people who were actually friends were John Entwhistle and Keith Moon. Townsend and Daltrey only tolerated each other on their best days.

Strangely enough, this album and the next one (Who Are You) would be huge commercial successes, but The Who rarely played songs from these two albums on their concert tours. They didn't like them. Reminded them of the bad times they had with each other.

1  Slip Kid
2  However Much I Booze
3  Squeeze Box
4  Dreaming from the Waist Down
5  Imagine A Man

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It's my guess that The Who did more for Rock music than probably any other band out there. They came up with a lot of innovations performance wise. (The Beatles changed a lot of things recording wise as a comparison.) Marshall Stacks, Feed Back as musical notes,Power Chords and the introduction of Performance Art into a stage act just to mention a few of a great number of innovations they created.

6  Success Story
7  They Are All in Love
8  Blue Red and Grey
9  How Many Friends
10 In a Hand or a Face
(I don't know if they've ever done any of these last songs live.)

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Strangely enough, our next guests need an introduction!! The album we cover today is one that deserves to be in your collection!!

The Band is named Spirit. They have an interesting history, some of which you may be somewhat conscious of. Their first and second albums were in 1968 and 1969 respectively. Big successful releases. Led Zeppelin opened for them on their first Tour of the States, and they played together several times in the years that followed. Then, in 1970, they released, on their own dime - not label sanctioned, a song titled "1984." Corporate Radio while not issuing a public ban on the song, let it be known that they were other songs to play and perhaps it is best if you played them. (That took the wind out of their sails and sales as well, but not the creativity of one "Randy California.")

You may remember when we covered David Bowie's "1984" song. That would be released in 1974. Spirit's  song is much stronger with fewer words.
Here's the Introductory songs released on a 1973 "Best of" and finally a publicly sanctioned "1984."

Next post...even more controversy!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
"What more controversy could there be, my dear zoinks?" Let me tell you!!

Jimmy Page was a friend and a big fan of both Spirit and Randy California. Page copied the use of California with the use of a Theremin and during solos, Page even borrowed riffs and phrases from Spirit songs. It wasn't malicious like James Brown would do, or like...aw shit! now I can't remember the name, but the group that opened for a big name band almost a whole tour and on the last night, played all the hits of the other group and walked off the stage. It wasn't anything like that. It was more about admiration. This was all known to Spirit, and they didn't have a problem with any of it. When Page and Plant visited California in California, California played a song called "Taurus" for Page and Plant. (Muah ha ha ha  ha)

Part of that song would be incorporated more or less into "Stairway to Heaven."

Randy California died saving his Son from drowning. The guy that manages the Estate sued Led Zeppelin for a writing credit. Ultimately, The Executor would lose in court. The case was somewhat legitimate, but as California himself didn't give a shit while he was alive, it was somehow a legal issue when he was dead. On the merits of the case, Basel Rathbone should have gotten a writing credit as well. In the movie The Hound of the Baskervilles, Sherlock Holmes while holding a Zither, strikes four notes that would become the opening four notes of "Stairway to Heaven." Small World! Anyway, the grounds of the case, even though unsuccessful, would allow the Estate of Marvin Gaye to sue that Canadian dude, the ex-husband of Paula Patton, and the skinny guy that can actually write pretty good songs, and this time win the law suit. (Yup, can't remember. I'll ETA after looking it all up.)

But, enough about that. Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus might be their best album. It's not their rockingist, but it's pretty awesome. If you're into music, I would recommend the first 3 Spirit albums for sure.

Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus (1970)

1  Prelude - Nothin' to Hide
2  Nature's Way
3  Animal Zoo
4  Love Has Found a Way
5  Why Can't I Be Free
6  Mr. Skin

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
"What more controversy could there be, my dear zoinks?" Let me tell you!!

Jimmy Page was a friend and a big fan of both Spirit and Randy California. Page copied the use of California with the use of a Theremin and during solos, Page even borrowed riffs and phrases from Spirit songs. It wasn't malicious like James Brown would do, or like...aw shit! now I can't remember the name, but the group that opened for a big name band almost a whole tour and on the last night, played all the hits of the other group and walked off the stage. It wasn't anything like that. It was more about admiration. This was all known to Spirit, and they didn't have a problem with any of it. When Page and Plant visited California in California, California played a song called "Taurus" for Page and Plant. (Muah ha ha ha  ha)

Part of that song would be incorporated more or less into "Stairway to Heaven."

Randy California died saving his Son from drowning. The guy that manages the Estate sued Led Zeppelin for a writing credit. Ultimately, The Executor would lose in court. The case was somewhat legitimate, but as California himself didn't give a shit while he was alive, it was somehow a legal issue when he was dead. On the merits of the case, Basel Rathbone should have gotten a writing credit as well. In the movie The Hound of the Baskervilles, Sherlock Holmes while holding a Zither, strikes four notes that would become the opening four notes of "Stairway to Heaven." Small World! Anyway, the grounds of the case, even though unsuccessful, would allow the Estate of Marvin Gaye to sue that Canadian dude, the ex-husband of Paula Patton, and the skinny guy that can actually write pretty good songs, and this time win the law suit. (Yup, can't remember. I'll ETA after looking it all up.)

View Quote
Hey!!! I'm quoting myself!!!!

Back from research. I found my answers. For the first one with the opening act getting even with the headliner. Got my info a bit mixed up, so now I can set the record straight!!! Although that has happened many times in Rock and Roll History with the big names, the one I was thinking of turns out was actually hired to do just that. It was a one night concert back in 1987. The Headliner was a English punk band called "Wire." Not bad actually. They were getting back together and this was how they choose to reintroduce themselves. The opening act was called "Ex-Lion Tamers."
https://www.concertarchives.org/bands/ex-lion-tamers
You'll have to forgive me on that one, please. I was in my second year of a four year sentence at Nellis AFB. I was thinking about being anywhere and everywhere else.

Next is Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams. I think there was one more guy named in the law suit as well, but we all get the point. Funny the things we remember. I could remember Paula Patton, but not him. I don't feel so bad about getting old now!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]

"Stairway to Gilligan's Island" - Little Roger & The Goosebumps

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopher] [#12]

Stairway to Freebird

Monte Montgomery Stairway To Freebird
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Both of you are correct!!!!! The whole thing about "mash-ups" proves the point that a lot of songs are very similar. Record labels make it a point to produce similar sounding music from similar types of bands. Market share, competition, etc. Plus there are only 12 acceptable notes in Western music.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet - Fox On The Run (1975)
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:18:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#15]

The Allman Brothers Band - Ain't Wasting Time (Feb. 1972)

thats the way the world goes round
That's the Way the World Goes Round
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:41:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: solid] [#17]
1973 J GEILS BAND (ain't nothin' but a) house party

Being from the area  i couldn't stand this band but damn,,This rocked!

Edit: Suck it J
Giels !
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Gimme Shelter - Apocalypse Now Music Video

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaHEfJApEVM
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
One of the many reasons I can no longer hear. 15.00 concert tickets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZJui3aPoQ
View Quote

My really good friend Ron Crawford loved this. Not a huge fan but i loved that guy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#21]
The Cover of "Rolling Stone"

Dr. Hook
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By optimator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRlkIunIU-c
View Quote

WTF did i just watch?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#23]
John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads (Official Audio)
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By solid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36hTutWDwo

Dr. Hook
View Quote

Dr Hook & The Medicine Show - "Carry Me, Carrie" From Shel´s Houseboat!
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Good Morning/Afternoon Gentlemen, with a couple of recent notable deaths it's a good time to remember that we are all here on a temporary basis, and we all leave our marks on History, whether you realize it or not, mostly through our affects on the people we meet. With that being said, here's a 1971 album were mostly everybody who played on it is dead!!

In our journey, we've rediscovered some facts such as CCR's "Who'll Stop the Rain" and The Who's "Baba O'Reilly" weren't about what the hippies told us they were about. They were about the hypocrisy the hippies.

Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On is very similar in this vein. Marvin Gaye spent a few moments in the USAF before being discharged under a General, but his Brother was drafted and ended up in Viet Nam. On his return home, the Brothers talked about how he was being treated by Society as a whole as well as how GIs were being treated by Society as a whole. The song titled "What's Happening Brother" specifically addresses this. There are other elements and social commentary in the Album as well. In fact, this marks the first time outside of Rock and Roll that someone other than a rock band did a concept album.
Without further ado:
What's Going On (1971)
Side 1

1  What's Going On
2  What's Happening Brother
3  Flyin' High (In the Friendly Sky)
4  Save the Children
5  God Is Love
6  Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)

Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)
Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Marvin Gaye, himself, is a tragic figure which is a shame because he seemed like one of the nice guys.

His Father was a real piece of work. He was an on again, off again Pentecostal Minister who used to bet Marvin for "crimes" real and imagined. He was also reputed to be a cross dresser by the Neighborhood, so guess who would get attacked at school by the other kids! No way to grow up. I supervised a number of such people while I was in. Best thing to do is when they do well, praise them to the Heavens in front of their peers in hopes that they quit thinking they're useless and would've been better off if they've never been born. Sometimes it worked.

Marvin Gaye did have a history of attempting suicide, but he himself couldn't do it. He finally gave that job to someone he knew would kill him: his Father.
So, why his story is pretty damn sad, enjoy the music he left us.
Side 2

1  Right On
2  Wholy Holy
3  Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)

Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)

As an added bonus, he composed a Soundtrack for a movie called, Trouble Man. It is his one and only foray into the world of Jazz which I think is where he wanted to be.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:11:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#27]
how sweet it is to be loved by you

How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Mercury Blues by Steve Miller

Remake
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: solid] [#29]
Dupetasted
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: solid] [#30]
Dupe apologies
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:36:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: solid] [#31]
MOUNTAIN - Mississippi Queen (Live on "The Show" 02-24-1970) - * RARE * remastered audio

Mountain 1970 . THE BEST

You Know What I Mean !!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By solid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1EyyXL4Gk

Mountain 1970 . THE BEST

You Know What I Mean !!
View Quote
I saw Leslie West at the 21 Club in Champagne-Urbana, Ill, in 1981. Memory is a little fuzzy as opposed to hazy, but he is a great guitarist even with him only being able to lean against a bar stool on stage. He was also huge in person.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Circa 1974, in my part of CA, we started hearing a song from a Band that was from one of those mid-west States we studied in school. They had a different sound than a lot of bands (at the time), so curiosity was piqued.

By the end of '75 everyone was playing it and a Star was born!!! Gentlemen, allow me to present to you, Heat East and their new record lable professionally done album as opposed to the original independent that we originally heard:

Flat as a Pancake (1974), then A&M Records,1975

1  Never Been Any Reason
2  One Against the Other
3  Love Me Tonight
4  City of Gold
5  Fly By Night Lady

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#34]
This was a pretty damn good "first time up to the plate" record without any A & R types or Coastal record Producers insisting on personal changes or what have you.

1  Jefftown Creek
2  Lovin' Me Along
3  Ticket Back to Georgia
4  Brother Jacob

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Then they got a recording contract!

And they got all the things that come with recording contract, money, debt, drugs, drug problems, personnel changes due to conflicts over money and drugs, etc. Plus, when they first came out, The Doobie Brothers dominated, and by the end of the '70s the Atlanta Rhythm Section dominated the newly devised multiple sub-genre highly divided Adult Contemporary something. Can't really remember, maybe it was AOR??? Anyway, long story short, they didn't have a management team that believed in them, and they floundered while still making other people money.
To be sure, they did have a big hit in 1978:
This was from 1978, "Since You've Been Gone" from the Road Sign album.

That was the last big hit. Most of their music after the signing was the label trying to get them to sound like other acts instead of the distinguishing sound they originally had. There's a bunch of songs that start off well, get to a bridge in decent shape, and then SPLATT! The Chorus is pretty cliche and has been done to death. They have a lot of songs like that. They tried adding pancakes to most of the cover art trying to recall their initial success and excitement. I know must of you will be surprised to learn that the pancakes didn't help. I don't think they hurt, though. But, I'm no expert.

The last album they did in the '70s is called A Different Kind of Crazy. It has a couple of gems on the back side that are very good.
The songs are "Morning" and "Got To Be Rea."

Head East still exists as an act. They still do albums. I can't say whether theres a founding member left or even an original '70s guy still playing. But they are out there, so Respect for living the Dream!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool seeing thread still alive
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Cool seeing thread still alive
View Quote
There's still MOAR!!!!!!!

When we last left our intrepid rock'n'roll heroes, we discovered, besides the pitfalls of drugs, VD from fans, inter-personal relationships failures, bad management and indifference from a record label towards a band being all they can be can crush a career. To be honest, you're here today and gone tomorrow in any event, so there's really no use in getting sentimental about it.

Our next Band, for example, can teach you this.

UFO. They're still around in a couple of different forms doing recordings and shows still with various past and new members. One hell of a Band, though. In High School, a lot of the girls I dated really liked this band, so this Band brings back memories of the cool chicks I dated!!!!!!! Good Times, people!

But, enough about me. UFO started out as a different kind of band. They were relegated to a sub-genre with an unfortunate name: Space Rock.
If you're thinking, "what the hell's that?" you're in a very big club, lots of members! The sub-genre still exists, but now it's called "Stoner Rock." Still a crappy name for some pretty good music.

Let's start off with a handful of songs BMS (Before Michael Schenker)
UFO 1 - 1970
Boogie
Timothy
Treacle People
Treacle People (Remastered)

UFO 2 Flying - 1971
Silver Bird
Prince Kajuki

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:19:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#39]
Next is their (UFO) first album with a now 18 year old, Michael Schenker. The music changed greatly, and they started to become very popular.
Phenomenon - 1974
1  Too Young to Know
2  Crystal Light
3  Doctor Doctor
4  Space Child
5  Rock Bottom
Too Young to Know (2007 Remaster)
Crystal Light (2007 Remaster)
Doctor Doctor (2007 Remaster)
Space Child (2007 Remaster)
Rock Bottom (2007 Remaster)

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#40]
The Misfits-Where Eagles Dare w/ lyrics
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I misspelled "young" above. Old age.

1  Oh My
2  Time on My Hands
3  Built for Comfort
4  Lipstick Traces
5  Queen of the Deep
Time on My Hands (2007 Remaster)
Built for Comfort (2007 Remaster)
Lipstick Traces (2007 Remaster)
Queen of the Deep (2007 Remaster)

The Next couple of albums they did were just as good!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pLleiKY_0M
View Quote
The Misfits. Always a suitable choice. When the Go-Gos ripped off this song, they should've been killed on sight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm taking you guys to a concert next!!! When they did this tour, they were traveling with Blue Oyster Cult. It was a great Show!
We had two Denises at School. Both hot. One Blond, the other Brunette. I took Blonde Denise to the show. It was her Favorite band. (She never succumbed to the Pretty Peter tour a year before. (Peter Frampton Comes Alive) That punk made the rest of us look bad in comparison, so Blonde Denise was Ace number 1 in my Book!!!
But the real thing I wanted to mention before I strolled down memory lane was that the live recordings were so much better than studio recordings at the time. This album isn't without its controversies. Michael Schenker left the band due to disagreements about which of the recorded songs should be used, and the fact that "they" wouldn't let him do some over dubbed guitar work. (I think I have that correct, but it could be he didn't want to do the re-recordings. It was a long time ago. Also, initially, this live album was released as two EPs. So, today, we're doing the song order in the original order of the album.

Hot n'Ready - 1979

Side one
1  Natural Thing
2  Out in the Street
3  Doctor Doctor

Side two
1  Mother Mary
2  This Kid's
3  Love to Love              (Love to Love is the correct way to do a Ballad. Keeps the Chicks happy and offers some hard driving guitar riffs for people who can stand and pee without any of it getting on their shoes.)

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Side three
1  Lights Out
2  Rock Bottom

Side four
1  Too Hot to Handle
2  I'm a Loser
3  Let It Roll
4  Shoot Shoot

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#45]
legion of mary
let it rock

Legion of Mary - Let It Rock
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
The Misfits. Always a suitable choice. When the Go-Gos ripped off this song, they should've been killed on sight.
View Quote

Thank you.

Then, there is this.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By hbilly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7UiZOiCwOs
View Quote

That might have been played at a few late-night pasture parties in my day also.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#50]
david allan coe
give my love to rose

Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top