Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2020 7:20:59 PM EDT
So I picked up my ACR today and here are my first impressions about a couple hundred rounds.

First.  It works better if the gas system is turned on.  Have no idea why the previous owner (got it at a pawnshop) turned it off.

2nd.  It is heavy.  I'm used to ARs.  the ACR is quite a bit heavier.

3rd.  The weight and or the gas system makes it a very nice shooter.  ARs tend to jump around a bit during rapid fire.  The ACR just sits there.

4th.  My 1st impression shooting offhand it is just as accurate as the AR.  I was hitting my little plastic target ball at 50 yds no problem, just like the AR.  Followup shots were a little faster due to #3.

5th.  Ergos aren't as good as the AR.  Saftey is just a little farther away than an AR.  I tended to want to take my right hand off the grip and use the left handed side to operate.  Fully loaded mags are a little harder to get seated than with an AR.

6th.  However, if you are a left hander, I would think it would be great.  I'm interested in letting my left handed brother shoot it and get his impressions.

Overall, I really like it.  Fun gun to shoot.  But it ain't replacing my AR.

Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Makes you wonder if the previous owner sold it because "this piece of crap doesn't cycle"

But yeah your assessment pretty much matches mine. I bought an ACR when they were fairly new (got lucky on a smoking deal on gunbroker) and have always liked it despite its shortcomings. It's a shame they might be a thing of the past now.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still upset magpul sold the design to bushmaster. The gun, as magpul designed it, was a most lusted after gun at that time. The gun bushmaster released didn't get a second look from me.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Love mine, but naysayers would have you believe it's a piece of shit. Never had a single issue with mine.

Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still upset magpul sold the design to bushmaster. The gun, as magpul designed it, was a most lusted after gun at that time. The gun bushmaster released didn't get a second look from me.
View Quote
If they shipped it with a thinner profile barrel that alone would have made it a lot better. The original MSRP from Bushmaster was something like $2700 for the basic model and over $3000 for the enhanced, a far cry from the $1500 Magpul originally quoted. They cut corners and still couldn't even keep close to the original price target. My guess is Magpul decided to sell when they realized the economics just weren't going to work out.

ETA: part of me now is hoping Windham buys back all the Bushmaster IP for pennies on the dollar
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Makes you wonder if the previous owner sold it because "this piece of crap doesn't cycle"

But yeah your assessment pretty much matches mine. I bought an ACR when they were fairly new (got lucky on a smoking deal on gunbroker) and have always liked it despite its shortcomings. It's a shame they might be a thing of the past now.
View Quote
Well shit. I should have got a better price then.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If they shipped it with a thinner profile barrel that alone would have made it a lot better. The original MSRP from Bushmaster was something like $2700 for the basic model and over $3000 for the enhanced, a far cry from the $1500 Magpul originally quoted. They cut corners and still couldn't even keep close to the original price target. My guess is Magpul decided to sell when they realized the economics just weren't going to work out.

ETA: part of me now is hoping Windham buys back all the Bushmaster IP for pennies on the dollar
View Quote
The latest edition they were selling before the doors closed had a thinner barrel profile. Still a bit heavier than it needed to be because of the interchangable barrel system but better than before.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The latest edition they were selling before the doors closed had a thinner barrel profile. Still a bit heavier than it needed to be because of the interchangable barrel system but better than before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I ever find a thin barrel for sale, I might buy it and try it out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Kind of sums up why it never took over from the AR.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nothing is taking over from the AR until we get hand held energy weapons.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or the AK as well. Those two are here to stay.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
@sherrick13

why would you think the ACR would be loved tenderly by left-handed shooters?

Inquiring minds need to know
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's amazing that a "Space Age" rifle/carbine from the 50s is still lighter, thinner and more handy than any of the latest and greatest carbines they come out with these days.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well maybe not the AR, but isn't the 6.8 General Purpose Rifle competition looking to replace the M4? I guess that trial could end up being a nothingburger in the end.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#14]
It's interesting how often people seem unable to grasp adjustable gas systems. The gas system on my Rasheed was shut off when I bought it, too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@sherrick13

why would you think the ACR would be loved tenderly by left-handed shooters?

Inquiring minds need to know
View Quote
Completely ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well maybe not the AR, but isn't the 6.8 General Purpose Rifle competition looking to replace the M4? I guess that trial could end up being a nothingburger in the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no way we are going to redo all our .233 infrastructure.  It is 1932 all over again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's amazing that a "Space Age" rifle/carbine from the 50s is still lighter, thinner and more handy than any of the latest and greatest carbines they come out with these days.
View Quote
We aren't seeing any real innovation that tries to compete with the design.   "New" rifles released are basically just slightly different ARs.   Same size, shape, controls, etc.

The AR design and price point has stifled all but a few from taking the risk of doing anything outside of the norm.   We're seeing some neat things in the PCC / PDW market, but the AR has rifle design locked down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I really wanted to like mine. But, the zero wandered and none of the promised accessories were available. If Magpul and Windham get together, I’ll try a new one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine felt really front heavy.  A lighter barrel would have helped.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Take it back and tell them it doesnt cycle. Argue for a better price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's interesting how often people seem unable to grasp adjustable gas systems. The gas system on my Rasheed was shut off when I bought it, too.
View Quote
I turn all my guns off after use. Saves big money on buying new batteries.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Remove 4” of barrel and report back...

I stopped shooting mine due to parts availability   I’ll just have to fall back on my 20 ARs for the time being...
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed. The AR is simply the best all-around system there is. If you think about it, it's kind of amazing that the modern AR has been around for 30-40 years (not counting the first 20 or so) and every time a challenger appears, it comes up short.

What other product out there can claim to be significantly unchanged for 30 years and every attempt to surpass it with something else fails?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smart...
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Adolf Hitler agreed with you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#28]
And here I thought someone raised a necro thread from 2010 and nope, it's from 2020.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I managed to snag a coyote folder and I'll never sell it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I've owned a couple ACR's...gotten smoking deals on locals getting rid of them.  I really like the ACR.  Yes, it's a bit nose heavy, but that's a benefit when you're throwing rounds downrange at a rapid rate.  Outside of that, it is very easy to breakdown, including separating the barrel from the upper.

The operating system is really not that innovative, a la, SCAR, BREN, et al...however, the butt stock has probably been the best thing to come out of the ACR program.  All of my SCARs wear the same stock, it's definitely one of the best in the semi-auto world.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is hope for it, if say Magpul can get Wyndham to manufacture it.

A few simple changes can net you a much better rifle.

1. The barrel profile already mentioned in like every ACR thread.  It's shit for it, and makes it feel even more front heavy.
2. The handguard.  Again, stock is kinda porky and contributes a little to front heavy feeling.
3. Lose the tool-less barrel change.  This adds a significant amount of weight up front.  Change it to a lighter material and lose the quick change, can get almost a pound here IIRC.  Who changes barrels on a rifle in the field anyway?

These changes alone can get you under 7 lbs, more work has been done by dudes on the carrier and receiver to get even lighter.  Maybe throw some money at them for their designs.

It will never compete with $400 AR's, but would do far, far better.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There is no way we are going to redo all our .233 infrastructure.  It is 1932 all over again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So your guess is the 6.8 General Purpose Rifle competition will amount to nothing?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I think I said it last time but:

I really like my ACR. I don’t prefer it over most of my non-clone AR’s, but it’s a great rifle on its own merits. Also it shoots pretty precisely, much more than I’d have guessed. Even with mid-grade ammo and a 1.5X ACOG it groups inside a softball @ 100 pretty consistently. I’m sure a real scope and premium ammo would clean up even more.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#34]
ACR is a hipster gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The owner is a gun guy.  He would know what is up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm, good thinking.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And here I thought someone raised a necro thread from 2010 and nope, it's from 2020.
View Quote
Cuz I just now finally bought one.

Call me a 'late adopter'.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We aren't seeing any real innovation that tries to compete with the design.   "New" rifles released are basically just slightly different ARs.   Same size, shape, controls, etc.

The AR design and price point has stifled all but a few from taking the risk of doing anything outside of the norm.   We're seeing some neat things in the PCC / PDW market, but the AR has rifle design locked down.
View Quote
Nearly every "new" rifle to replace the AR is some variant of an AR-18 in a thicker polymer shell/reciever.  If its not an AR-18, its an AK variant.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So your guess is the 6.8 General Purpose Rifle competition will amount to nothing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh shit you are right.  The M-8 was adopted five years ago and it is wide service.

The Army loves their weapons competitions.  It give the non combat arms brass something to do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nearly every "new" rifle to replace the AR is some variant of an AR-18 in a thicker polymer shell/reciever.  If its not an AR-18, its an AK variant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Everything really has already been done.

And Ian (Forgotten Weapons) makes a great point when he says the AR platform has had a steady 50 years of developmental progress into it.  The others are still playing catchup.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Even though they sold the design, I applaud Magpul for trying to innovate.  The MPX/MCX and PSA's upcoming Jakl (?) might not be huge hits in the marketplace, but at least they're options in a market otherwise awash in ARs.  Don't get me wrong--I like my ARs and am glad they're so readily available and affordable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Your barrel looks a little too long..... see below for ideas

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Most of the "modern" guns are much heavier than they need to be for 5.56.
View Quote
Truth.

My favorite 5.56 is the XM-177.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Truth.

View Quote
I really like my XM177 build as well. It's just so handy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Truth.

They are for sure
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top