Quoted:

First I've heard of it.

Where did you hear that ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn’t the Colorado have a frame breaking issue when weighed down?

First I've heard of it.

Where did you hear that ?

I think he is referring to the idiot that had a travel trailer on the hitch and was driving 45 mph over whoops designed for UTVs.....
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
These vehicles aren't meant to be platforms to fight from, thus they don't need armor or heavy weaponry. They are meant as a way to motorize light infantry units that don't currently have much in the way of organic motor transport. Look at how light infantry units are equipped and it is easy to see where these kind of vehicles fit. A light infantry (not equipped with tracks or Strykers) battalion has 4 companies, plus a headquarters company. Most of the vehicles organic to the battalion are located within the headquarters company. Out of the other 4 companies, only D Company (the weapons company) is mostly equipped with vehicles, which are needed to carry the battalion's heavier weapons such as .50 BMG's, TOW, 40mm MK19's, etc. The rifle companies have shit for vehicles. Basically the CO and first sergeant have transportation. But everyone else walks. These vehicles are to make sure the "everyone else" can also ride to and from the battlefield. It is the only way to keep light infantry from becoming obsolete on the modern battlefield. These vehicles will give light infantry the ability to cover vast distances and quickly get to where the fighting is, while simultaneously giving them the ability to quickly get the fuck out in a hurry should that become necessary. We aren't going to be able to do a massive air assault with 60+ Hueys like it is Vietnam all over again and drop troops right on top of the enemy. A well equipped near peer opponent has air defenses too good for that. The troops will have to be dropped much farther from the front and close the rest of the distance on the ground. Having a squad vehicle will give the guys the ability to get to the fight without first humping 50 miles of rough terrain to get there. And it can bring them back.
View Quote

Anything that carries infantry should be able to carry armament, because said infantry will put armament on it as soon as possible, and rightly so.

Carrying troops into combat means their vehicle will necessarily be in combat as well.  Or what is the plan here, the squad can only drive a certain distance away from the battlefield and then they have to park their ISV and walk the rest of the way?  Or they drive partway and then switch vehicles to a more combat capable vehicle to fight in?

Make it make sense to me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Anything that carries infantry should be able to carry armament, because said infantry will put armament on it as soon as possible, and rightly so.

Carrying troops into combat means their vehicle will necessarily be in combat as well.  Or what is the plan here, the squad can only drive a certain distance away from the battlefield and then they have to park their ISV and walk the rest of the way?  Or they drive partway and then switch vehicles to a more combat capable vehicle to fight in?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These vehicles aren't meant to be platforms to fight from, thus they don't need armor or heavy weaponry. They are meant as a way to motorize light infantry units that don't currently have much in the way of organic motor transport. Look at how light infantry units are equipped and it is easy to see where these kind of vehicles fit. A light infantry (not equipped with tracks or Strykers) battalion has 4 companies, plus a headquarters company. Most of the vehicles organic to the battalion are located within the headquarters company. Out of the other 4 companies, only D Company (the weapons company) is mostly equipped with vehicles, which are needed to carry the battalion's heavier weapons such as .50 BMG's, TOW, 40mm MK19's, etc. The rifle companies have shit for vehicles. Basically the CO and first sergeant have transportation. But everyone else walks. These vehicles are to make sure the "everyone else" can also ride to and from the battlefield. It is the only way to keep light infantry from becoming obsolete on the modern battlefield. These vehicles will give light infantry the ability to cover vast distances and quickly get to where the fighting is, while simultaneously giving them the ability to quickly get the fuck out in a hurry should that become necessary. We aren't going to be able to do a massive air assault with 60+ Hueys like it is Vietnam all over again and drop troops right on top of the enemy. A well equipped near peer opponent has air defenses too good for that. The troops will have to be dropped much farther from the front and close the rest of the distance on the ground. Having a squad vehicle will give the guys the ability to get to the fight without first humping 50 miles of rough terrain to get there. And it can bring them back.

That's been the TTP since all the way back to Dragoons. You don't drive onto the OBJ in a vehicle. The Army tried that concept with Bradleys and quietly did away with it, along with swimming.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Park and walk.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, that's the point.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What does this offer that a Land Verber (Cruise or Rove) hasn't offered for the last 30 years?
View Quote

The ability to carry a 9 man squad and all there gear so they don't have to walk the entire way.

It's not going into a High threat area..... it's a transport to get them close.
and be air mobile.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's been the TTP since all the way back to Dragoons. You don't drive onto the OBJ in a vehicle. The Army tried that concept with Bradleys and quietly did away with it, along with swimming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro, do you even Megaforce?

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll take one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

They don't carry rucksacks to the objective either. There's this thing called an ORP/VDO where they leave things behind and assault on foot.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
In my 5 deployments with 2-75, we have uparmored Hummvees for 2 of them.  Most of the time we were travelling far from known routes of US troops travel and known areas of operation.  We were able to avoid IED's for the most part, but not every unit has the same mission set in the same remote areas.  For infantry units patrolling the same area repeatedly, this is a poor fit.  For us, this fit a lot of what we did, which was cutting out 90% of the walking (and the time and cartilage wasted doing it)

These rigs look an awful lot like our hummvees, no roof, very minimalistic.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here is one for you; with women in the infantry, will the passenger side seat be heated and will there be individual climate controls?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread helps reinforce my belief that most people are shit stupid when it comes to military affairs.

Here is one for you; with women in the infantry, will the passenger side seat be heated and will there be individual climate controls?

I hope so. Itll make all the tears from the "back in my day" stories so much sweeter.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They host the squad's beltfeds with arms on those posts at the doors. You detach them when you proceed on foot.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A lot of my time was without a vehicle at all.  So when the bullets started flying we shot back.  IED's?  Why are you on the pavement?
View Quote

Because in a real war, that where the objectives are.  Against a foe that's even third-rate, if they're not guerillas they'll be near a road, or irrelevant.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because in a real war, that where the objectives are.  Against a foe that's even third-rate, if they're not guerillas they'll be near a road, or irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of my time was without a vehicle at all.  So when the bullets started flying we shot back.  IED's?  Why are you on the pavement?

LOL no.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MacArthur? That you?

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

MacArthur? That you?

View Quote

Fuck MacArthur let’s talk about Fertig.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’ve seen pictures somewhere about this, frame buckling between the cab and bed on trails, IIRC, small offroad camp trailers were being towed.
View Quote

Frames were bending because people with trailers were sending it off of whoopsies and jumps.  AKA, they were being idiots like the guys that were folding Raptors by trying to launch them into orbit and landing and bending.
I've seen ZR2s all stock do crazy jumps while not pulling a trailer and they were fine.  
I've done some crazy shit in mine and still fine.  
And I can attest to the ZR2 being able to go places you shouldn't.  Went down an ATV trail I wasn't supposed to have turned on but had only 1 way out because I couldn't turn around.  Everyone with their $50k decked out side by sides were in awe that my bone stuck ZR2 was doing what it did.  My now wife got out and walked the trail because she was scared to be in the truck.  I had to go up a hill that was probably 40 degree incline that was just lose rocks and rubble.  All I could see was sky.
With Front and rear lockers the ZR2 is more capable than any midsize truck out of the factory.
I had a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Offroad but a lot of them had oil starvation issues if on more than a 20 degree incline for too long.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MacArthur? That you?

That was a guerrilla force that was never intended nor able to retake substantial territory from the Japanese.

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That was a guerrilla force that was never intended nor able to retake substantial territory from the Japanese.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MacArthur? That you?

Didn’t have to. They kept 300,000 Japanese tied down and provided intel and aviator rescue. Very successful.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Didn’t have to. They kept 300,000 Japanese tied down and provided intel and aviator rescue. Very successful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MacArthur? That you?

That's what guerrillas do.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Frames were bending because people with trailers were sending it off of whoopsies and jumps.  AKA, they were being idiots like the guys that were folding Raptors by trying to launch them into orbit and landing and bending.
I've seen ZR2s all stock do crazy jumps while not pulling a trailer and they were fine.  
And I can attest to the ZR2 being able to go places you shouldn't.  Went down an ATV trail I wasn't supposed to have turned on but had only 1 way out because I couldn't turn around.  Everyone with their $50k decked out side by sides were in awe that my bone stuck ZR2 was doing what it did.  My now wife got out and walked the trail because she was scared to be in the truck.  I had to go up a hill that was probably 40 degree incline that was just lose rocks and rubble.  All I could see was sky.
With Front and rear lockers the ZR2 is more capable than any midsize truck out of the factory.
I had a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Offroad but a lot of them had oil starvation issues if on more than a 20 degree incline for too long.
View Quote

Yup, @Your1Savior mentioned this earlier in the thread. I found a couple articles where a dude admitted he was doing 40 mph down a desert trail hitting the whoops and getting air with a trailer. Fucking idiots.
Interesting about the Tacoma oil starvation, I haven't heard about that. I wonder how close to a stock Colorado frame this ISV has. I would imagine the suspension and frame is beefed up, but if the military does decides to start adding armor, and maybe pulling trailers while blasting over the terrain, maybe there would be issues. Not to mention the loadout of soldiers and gear they are saying it is designed to carry seems to be substantially higher than the payload of the Colorado.
Thing does look cool as fuck, though!
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
can someone tell me how this is better than Humvee?

are they saying you can't take the top off a HV, pack it with all the benches and seats you can and hold 8-9 guys, then fashion some crappy rack that'll hold everyone's shit on top?

sure is a helluva lot more capable than any chevy, don't even go there Rommel..
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

are they saying you can't take the top off a HV, pack it with all the benches and seats you can and hold 8-9 guys, then fashion some crappy rack that'll hold everyone's shit on top?

View Quote

If only there were 6 pages of explaining EXACTLY just that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#24]
So, is this gonna be attached transport, or organic to the platoons?  If organic, how's the vehicle security issue gonna be handled?  Yeah, it can hold a TOE squad, but when said squad deploys, who secures the vehicle?  Does every squad and the platoon HQ element lose a man to remain with the vehicle? Or they gonna end up like armored infantry in WWII, with 2 per vehicle left behind to insure against mischance?*  Seems like a good way to convert a theoretical 9 man squad that's actually running with 7 into an effective 5 person squad actually closing.

*Dislclaimer, I don't know for sure that was regular practice with all armored infantry units then, but I have seen it listed as SOP in three different combat reports from two differnt units---in one of them the armored infantry company in question went into action paired with a tank company (which was at full TOE with 17 tanks, 5 men each, I might add,) with 51 men grouped into a platoon of 11, a platoon of 14, a platoon of 17, and a company HQ of 9 (even the 11 man platoon subdivided into 3 squads,) with it mentioned in the report that 17 men were left behind to secure and guard the company's 8 halftracks.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#25]
are you the dummy that answered my question with a question?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
are you the dummy that answered my question with a question?
View Quote

No, the question was so dumb nobody directly answered it, and most certainly no follow on questions for you were involved.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much rollover protection does a Humvee with the top removed and benches in the back offer? How secure are passengers on benches? How comfortable are benches in the back of a Humvee? Do you think those factors might affect how fatigued your troops are when you deliver them? How does having a Humvee loaded in a Chinook affect egress from the bird?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So, is this gonna be attached transport, or organic to the platoons?  If organic, how's the vehicle security issue gonna be handled?  Yeah, it can hold a TOE squad, but when said squad deploys, who secures the vehicle?  Does every squad and the platoon HQ element lose a man to remain with the vehicle? Or they gonna end up like armored infantry in WWII, with 2 per vehicle left behind to insure against mischance?*  Seems like a good way to convert a theoretical 9 man squad that's actually running with 7 into an effective 5 person squad actually closing.

*Dislclaimer, I don't know for sure that was regular practice with all armored infantry units then, but I have seen it listed as SOP in three different combat reports from two differnt units---in one of them the armored infantry company in question went into action paired with a tank company (which was at full TOE with 17 tanks, 5 men each, I might add,) with 51 men grouped into a platoon of 11, a platoon of 14, a platoon of 17, and a company HQ of 9 (even the 11 man platoon subdivided into 3 squads,) with it mentioned in the report that 17 men were left behind to secure and guard the company's 8 halftracks.  
View Quote

With armed vehicles you generally leave a driver and gunner so the vehicle can fight in an emergency. With unarmed vehicles you generally leave only a driver. If you can't afford to leave those people with the vehicles then you can't drive.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How long until it gets up-armored, weighs 10X as much, and seats three?
View Quote

After the first casulty is taken in one and it makes the news . America has no stomach for casualties on CNN
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd guess thinking of these as disposable is a good starting point. In a big peer war, you're doing well to make it to the ORP alive.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just because there are roads doesn't mean you use them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#32]
So infantry are pretty much cav scouts now.

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

After the first casulty is taken in one and it makes the news . America has no stomach for casualties on CNN
View Quote

I've been present when we took casualties in unarmored vehicles several times before. I don't recall CNN being there.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How much rollover protection does a Humvee with the top removed and benches in the back offer? How secure are passengers on benches? How comfortable are benches in the back of a Humvee? Do you think those factors might affect how fatigued your troops are when you deliver them? How does having a Humvee loaded in a Chinook affect egress from the bird?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

There will always be casualties in combat.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Burn the trucks so the men are well motivated.
Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So infantry are pretty much cav scouts now.

View Quote

No, they're still Infantry. A Cav Scout's job is to recon an area and report to higher, preferably without engaging the enemy. For us Infantrymen, our primary task was to "close with and destroy the enemy." These vehicles aren't intended to be a new recon platform, they are intended to assist in the first part of the Infantry's primary task (the "close with" part).

These aren't patrol vehicles. They are for moving quickly to an Objective Rally Point, so the Grunts arrive fresh and ready to move forward to the objective on foot, rather than tired from having humped dozens of miles over shitty terrain all damn night.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#38]
If they're air mobile.... why not just air mobile them all the way in?

Only partially joking, since we've had air superiority in every conflict after WW2.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If they're air mobile.... why not just air mobile them all the way in?

Only partially joking, since we've had air superiority in every conflict after WW2.
View Quote

Even in GWOT we stopped being able to land on the X, and started being forced to land on the Y and walk the offset.

In a conventional conflict we will have even less concessions from the enemy.  The Z could be 50-100 miles away with some of the radar and ADA systems around now.

Even landing within a few kilometers can be a bad walk in..  Some of the most brutal insertions I've ever done were only 4-5 KM offsets in bad terrain.  Knee deep mud, gravel covered hills, gravity wells, etc.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#40]
We walked, mostly. It sucked. Deuce and 1/2 sometimes. The pic looks like it holds maybe 4 guys, non-crew. How many per squad?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been out of the game for nearly thirty years.  Something I am thinking about may not be as interesting, but does anyone know how Light Infantry is going to maintain these vehicles when they are Conus?  I can see the motor pool shenanigans and games now.

In the 1990s we stripped all of our Humvees down without doors or roofs in order to facilitate quick dismount.  We often used ponchos as roofs mainly to block the sun and sometime the rain if it wasn't too much.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No, they're still Infantry. A Cav Scout's job is to recon an area and report to higher, preferably without engaging the enemy. For us Infantrymen, our primary task was to "close with and destroy the enemy." These vehicles aren't intended to be a new recon platform, they are intended to assist in the first part of the Infantry's primary task (the "close with" part).

These aren't patrol vehicles. They are for moving quickly to an Objective Rally Point, so the Grunts arrive fresh and ready to move forward to the objective on foot, rather than tired from having humped dozens of miles over shitty terrain all damn night.
View Quote

[Foghorn Leghorn]That was a joke, son.[/Foghorn Leghorn]
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

They were very successful at Intel and rescue, but the 300,000 IJA troops there were waiting for McArthur, they didn't send them to the PI to fight guerillas
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just because there are roads doesn't mean you use them.
View Quote

That works, if you don't need real logistics.  It works, if you've got aerial supremacy and the other guy can't shoot down your lift.  And it works if the terrain allows it.  Amazingly enough, there are plenty of places those vehicles still aren't going without roads.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That works, if you don't need real logistics.  It works, if you've got aerial supremacy and the other guy can't shoot down your lift.  And it works if the terrain allows it.  Amazingly enough, there are plenty of places those vehicles still aren't going without roads.
View Quote

Ok.  Then we won't use them there. Plenty of terrain where they will work.

The usage of this vehicle has nothing to do with logistics.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Do people just not know what the infantry is?  It's not their job to run logistics on roadways.

And this is obviously not the vehicle that would be used for that.  

The confusion here is baffling.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do people just not know what the infantry is?  It's not their job to run logistics on roadways.

And this is obviously not the vehicle that would be used for that.  

The confusion here is baffling.
View Quote

For a crowd that mocks mission creep constantly they sure get upset when every vehicle can't do absolutely everything.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yup, @Your1Savior mentioned this earlier in the thread. I found a couple articles where a dude admitted he was doing 40 mph down a desert trail hitting the whoops and getting air with a trailer. Fucking idiots.
Interesting about the Tacoma oil starvation, I haven't heard about that. I wonder how close to a stock Colorado frame this ISV has. I would imagine the suspension and frame is beefed up, but if the military does decides to start adding armor, and maybe pulling trailers while blasting over the terrain, maybe there would be issues. Not to mention the loadout of soldiers and gear they are saying it is designed to carry seems to be substantially higher than the payload of the Colorado.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I had a first year ZR2 diesel and absolutely loved it.  Traded in 3 years later for a newer one that was identical and has been great as well.  Very solid platform and a lot of fun.  If someone breaks one, they were doing something that would have broken any vehicle.

When GM Defense launched their ISV a couple years ago, they said it was going to maintain 70% parts compatability with the retail ZR2, including chassis, engine (2.8L Diesel), transmission, and the Multimatic DSSV suspension

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To GD, a 24 pack of Charmin and a non-rat-fucked case of MREs is the pinnacle of logistics.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

To GD, a 24 pack of Charmin and a non-rat-fucked case of MREs is the pinnacle of logistics.  

Kharn
View Quote

And this is why I went air force.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top