User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're absolutely right.

265 Navy and Marine F-4J's were upgraded to F-4S standards.
Major changes included airframe and undercarriage strengthening including landing gear and wing/fuselage structural improvements.
The electrical system was completely rewired, and the hydraulic system was replumbed using stainless steel tubing.
Two-position wing leading-edge maneuvering slats were fitted to the F-4S, which gave a 50 percent improvement in combat turning capability in comparison with an unslatted F-4J.
The F-4S was fitted with the digital AWG-10B weapons control system with new AN/ARC-159 dual UHF radios and an ARN-118 TACAN.
The F-4S was fitted with smokeless J79-GE-10B engines with low smoke combustors and low-energy ignition.
Low-voltage formation lights were fitted to the sides of the nose, mid-fuselage, and tailfin, and staggered cooling ports were fitted near the nosewheel well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
155539 is an F-4S not a J.  She might have left St Louis as a J-33-MC,  but there was a rebuild or two along the way.

You're absolutely right.

265 Navy and Marine F-4J's were upgraded to F-4S standards.
Major changes included airframe and undercarriage strengthening including landing gear and wing/fuselage structural improvements.
The electrical system was completely rewired, and the hydraulic system was replumbed using stainless steel tubing.
Two-position wing leading-edge maneuvering slats were fitted to the F-4S, which gave a 50 percent improvement in combat turning capability in comparison with an unslatted F-4J.
The F-4S was fitted with the digital AWG-10B weapons control system with new AN/ARC-159 dual UHF radios and an ARN-118 TACAN.
The F-4S was fitted with smokeless J79-GE-10B engines with low smoke combustors and low-energy ignition.
Low-voltage formation lights were fitted to the sides of the nose, mid-fuselage, and tailfin, and staggered cooling ports were fitted near the nosewheel well.

At one time I had a model of every major Navy variation of the F-4 and those ECM fairings on the intakes are dead giveaways.  I always notice them because when I was making my models there weren't kits for the N or S so you had to start with a B or J and make the parts yourself.

The best part was a friend wondering why I'd made three of the same F-4B and him totally not seeing the changes in the antennas made in 1965 and 1967.  One was Project Shoehorn, never did find out what they called the 1967 changes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sweet. I'd much rather see that F-4 get displayed indoors, but, It is what it is.

Castle AFB was my first duty assignment back in 1984. Damn I feel old.
View Quote

Old?  I was an instructor at Castle from ‘85 to ‘89. That’s old.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to visit Castle AF Base Museum regularly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I always liked the grey USAF livery

Attachment Attached File

I'd suspect this, or the Vietnam era camouflage paint scheme was what they looked like when my dad flew 'em!
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I always liked the grey USAF livery

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14121/greyusaf_jpg-2348048.JPG

I'd suspect this, or the Vietnam era camouflage paint scheme was what they looked like when my dad flew 'em!
View Quote

The F-4Cs originally had a glossy gray and white scheme around 1964-65 before being repainted to Vietnam jungle camo.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let me guess, right about 1991?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
F4 Phantom was the best looking fighter of the post WWII era.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jesus. So everyone in this whole thing who mattered was fine with it.
Self important people who were not going to see these things in anything but photographs, decided it had to go?
View Quote

I can tell you're not an aircraft fanatic.
There are aircraft spotters all over the world who would have given their left nut to see the F-4 or F-14 version of Vandy 1 with the Bunny on the tail.
Both were popular with the airshow crowds.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oddly enough there's been more than one Navy squadron's whose mascots have caused problems.

The World War II nose art would cause untold turmoil - hell it will get your account locked here.

Anybody seen WWII nose art altered in a museum yet?

View Quote

And Marines.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/marine-werewolves-transform-crusaders-back-again-flna793567
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Castle does have some cool aircraft!

Unfortunately they are all outside in the weather, and not maintained very well!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
since we're doing F-4's here's my dad and his engine nozzle test crew at Edwards AFB late 60's

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/3093C440-B683-4EDB-8282-455873474B87-1915888.jpg
View Quote

Nice! The old days of ties and pocket protectors. Bet there is a slide rule or two hiding in that bunch as well for on the spot calculations
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's so special about this F4 other than it being painted black?
View Quote
it has a huge gun pod.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oddly enough there's been more than one Navy squadron's whose mascots have caused problems.

The World War II nose art would cause untold turmoil - hell it will get your account locked here.

Anybody seen WWII nose art altered in a museum yet?

View Quote
ayep

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is how you tell people you are special ed without telling them you are special ed
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is how you tell people you are special ed without telling them you are special ed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a legitimate question. Why would you expect everyone to know about it?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#16]
The Blackbird in Oregon is indoors.  

I should go spend a day there again.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
it has a bunny.    the bunny.

do you even bunny?

I need to find my photos of Pt Mugu from 2002.  I saw a black bunny tomcat landing; was at the static missile displays IIRC.  took pics with a Sony Mavica floppy disk camera.
View Quote

Haha I had both the floppy and mini-CD versions
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
it has a huge gun pod.
View Quote

I don't know how it works around here? But calling a bunny black then saying it has a Huge gun pod!! Just saying I'm just glad he got out of the boneyard
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet. I'd much rather see that F-4 get displayed indoors, but, It is what it is.

Castle AFB was my first duty assignment back in 1984. Damn I feel old.

Mine too, 86
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
to be fair, the bunny is actually white, not black.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how you tell people you are a dipshit without telling people you are a dipshit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I approve of this post....

I also built the F-14 VX-4.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I approve of this post....

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/2879/tdnsle.jpg

I also built the F-14 VX-4.
View Quote

Nicely done!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I cannot imagine how/why a group of fighting age Alpha-males would have such an InsensitiveTM symbol.

C A N N O T  I M A G I N E.

View Quote
USMC entered the chat

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#29]

I have that kit and decals to build as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:Old?  I was an instructor at Castle from ‘85 to ‘89. That’s old.
View Quote

Old? I dated a girl from Atwater who's dad was a CMSgt at Castle with the 93rd Air Refueling Squadron. That was 1981. That's old.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is how you tell people you are a dipshit without telling people you are a dipshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be special ed because I've been an aviation nut since I was a kid and had no idea what the Black Bunny F-4 was
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Old? I dated a girl from Atwater who's dad was a CMSgt at Castle with the 93rd Air Refueling Squadron. That was 1981. That's old.
View Quote

I served with the 93rd CES at Castle from 1977 to 1981, that’s old.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
2nd Marine Airwing caved into the fat stay at home dependas in the 90s and removed the Bunny, too.

View Quote

That really doesn't surprise me.

I thank God you had to be badged into the IMA Avionics area I worked in. It seemed the dependas were always trying to get in to see their husbands.

I made a comment one time about fat asses and it got me a bunch of funny looks....I was single and didn't give a fuck....

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Cool picture. The F-14 looks elegant and sporty, while the Phantom looks like it's hungry for a kill.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I always wondered if Playboy ever said anything about the bunny on those aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
VX outfits have cool aircraft. I used to ride with the CO of this squadron (bikes, not jets).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166803/7E011984-C125-4655-933E-08A88CCF5F23-2347397.jpg
View Quote

Used to have coffee with a guy whose son flew in that unit at Pt. Mugu. United pilot now.

TC
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I always wondered if Playboy ever said anything about the bunny on those aircraft.  
View Quote

Besides saying "If you're going to use the Bunny, make it look right.  Here's a couple decals we use on our DC-9."
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Besides saying "If you're going to use the Bunny, make it look right.  Here's a couple decals we use on our DC-9."
https://external-preview.redd.it/B5vo_qw3B1SYvtYEHltbknCbvjHrKMAVXlwU8VOPGo0.jpg?width=1024&height=536.12565445&auto=webp&s=3fd85bcf5811b14ecbeecce095ae1720d298c610
View Quote

They kept that plane at the Purdue/Lafayette Airport. I believe Ozark Airlines pilots flew it until Purdue got some people qualified to fly it.

TC
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s wasn’t Benny Heald was it?  He was there for decades!

Funny… in high school (‘75’ish), I dated a girl who’s dad was a CMSgt (gunner) at CCTS.  10 years later, there I was.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I must be special ed because I've been an aviation nut since I was a kid and had no idea what the Black Bunny F-4 was
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here; I've been an aviation nut since the early 70's when I was grade school.  I have no idea why there is a black bunny plane.

It was and is a valid question.  There is simply no excuse to act like an dipshit in answering it.    
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Here’s the Phantom they used during the Bicentennial.  Building this one too.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It’s wasn’t Benny Heald was it?
View Quote

His last name was Buuic. Like the car.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#43]
holy shiz that's sexy
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
since we're doing F-4's here's my dad and his engine nozzle test crew at Edwards AFB late 60's

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/3093C440-B683-4EDB-8282-455873474B87-1915888.jpg
View Quote

A bunch of brilliant people
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here’s the Phantom they used during the Bicentennial.  Building this one too.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/1817/EzJxyA.jpg
View Quote

The W&B calculator in me just shuddered hard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wonder if it was my Mom or Aunt lol.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh boy!!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:28:43 AM EDT
[#49]
On one of our WestPac trips in the early 70's we had a jet on our Helo Deck; just moving it from point A to point B.  It was covered in "white shipping plastic" and had a small black bunny on the tail.

The bunny was cute but I always wondered what the spy type folks thought about us (AE) launching and recovering a jet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Welp, guess that answers that, there are a few of us here with some kind of affiliation to Castle AFB.

Back to the F-4 thing, It's a real pain in the ass right now finding C/D Model Phantoms 1/72 scale. Lots of Navy, F-4E & G, and the Odd Britt K/M versions.

I recently had to track this Fujimi kit down in Japan to fill the hole in my kit collection for an F-4D model I'd like to build soon.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top