Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting fact.  The actor that played the main character, isn't in fact blind.
View Quote

Not only wasn't the actor not blind, he wasn't even black.  It was Robert Downey Jr. in makeup.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ray Charles, but that’s not important right now.

Quoted:
Surely you jest.
View Quote

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The man found the last bible on the planet and it just happened to be in braille.  That doesn't mean that he was blind.  It just means that he learned to read braille.

WTF did you think he was going to do , leave the bible behind because is was braille?

HE WASN'T BLIND!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:27:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The man found the last bible on the planet and it just happened to be in braille.  That doesn't mean that he was blind.  It just means that he learned to read braille.

WTF did you think he was going to do , leave the bible behind because is was braille?

HE WASN'T BLIND!
View Quote

His wife was blind. It was her Bible. He learned braille to read it with her. He wasn't blind.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Name one better, I'll wait.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great movie but I have never heard anyone until you refer to Denzel as "greatest actor of our lifetimes"

Gary Oldman
Sam Rockwell
Ben Foster
Stephen Root
Christian Bale
John C Reilly
etc

Frikkin Johnny Depp is a more well-rounded actor than Denzel, who has the range of Will Smith.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Jennifer Beals crush continues.
View Quote

That woman is definitely the fine wine sort. Hell, she looks better now than when she was young.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:00:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

HE WASN'T BLIND!
View Quote

Was Denzel Washington's character in Book of Eli blind? Yes. Unless you're particularly observant it's not outright apparent that he's blind when watching the first time until the very end of the movie when the camera zooms in and you can see his eyes are clouded.

Google is your friend.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Forgetting Sarah Marshall was peak Mila.
View Quote
This man knows, I'm even willing to over look her flat ass she was so fine in that movie.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Only time I ever took my kids to a rated'R movie. The lessons were more important than the violence, so I took them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

HE WASN'T BLIND!
View Quote

You have to be mentally disabled to watch the movie and come away with "that dude ain't blind!"
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I think he could be a strong contender for the greatest American actor of our age for sure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If he was blind, how would he be able to win the shootouts?
View Quote
Divine assistance?  He was on a mission from god.  Without the hat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You have to be mentally disabled to watch the movie and come away with "that dude ain't blind!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HE WASN'T BLIND!

Only the simple minded equate the Bible being braille to Eli being blind.

It's just a plot device to highlight the irony of Gary Oldman's failed pursuit of power and domination by using religion to control what's left of the masses. All eloquently explained by Jennifer Beal's character as his gangrenous bullet wound eats away at his life while his empire collapses around him. He risked everything he had to obtain what he thought would give him ultimate power, only to discover that God has a wicked sense of humor.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My thoughts are he was partially blind...
The sun and exposure effed up his eyes, he traveled during the day, so reading at night was his only option.
So, he preemptively learned braille, so he could read, covertly, at night, without light...
Taught himself with a English version of the bible, before it was banned.
View Quote
This ^
View Quote
No.  

Quoted:
View Quote

It's like arguing that Bruce Willis wasn't dead the whole time in "Sixth Sense."
The entire movie tells you over and over again that he's blind, yet people argue that the movie is wrong.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's wrong to cast these roles with non-blind people. Blind actors need representation.
View Quote

Acting is wrong, period. Instead of hiring actors, they need to hire a person who looks, acts, feels, and thinks exactly like the character. Anything else is patriarchal bigotry.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No.  

It's like arguing that Bruce Willis wasn't dead the whole time in "Sixth Sense."
The entire movie tells you over and over again that he's blind, yet people argue that the movie is wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sun and exposure effed up his eyes, he traveled during the day, so reading at night was his only option.
So, he preemptively learned braille, so he could read, covertly, at night, without light...
This ^
No.  

Quoted:

It's interesting.  The first time I watched it I didn't catch it right away, and then I was thinking "He can't be blind can he!?!"   Then the next time I watched it I noticed all the little things he did that showed he was blind.   It was well done.   They show you, but they don't shove your face in it and force you to notice it right away.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#24]
You don't trust me do you

Uhhhhh I'll wait here
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It boggles my mind that people actually argue whether he was blind the whole time. That was the entire point of the movie.
View Quote

I know,
People come up with the craziest explanations for.

That is the whole point of the movie.

We think he is a regular guy.
Maybe a little crazy thinking he is on a mission from god.
But he pulls off some stuff that have us thinking, holy shit, he really has some divine protection - maybe he is not crazy.
The he get’s shot and goes down like anyone else.
Crash goes that whole concept.
He’s just a regular guy that’s crazy.
Then we find out he did all that shit blind.
It really was a miracle.

That transition laid out above is the literal foundation and backbone of the movie.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Several blind people I know watched the movie and they all agreed that Denzel nailed it.
View Quote

Good one
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Gary Oldman
Sam Rockwell
Ben Foster
Stephen Root
Christian Bale
John C Reilly
etc

Frikkin Johnny Depp is a more well-rounded actor than Denzel, who has the range of Will Smith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great movie but I have never heard anyone until you refer to Denzel as "greatest actor of our lifetimes"

Gary Oldman
Sam Rockwell
Ben Foster
Stephen Root
Christian Bale
John C Reilly
etc

Yes, I think some people are amazing and fantastic at a certain role.
Stallone, Arnie, etc. can basically nail a certain type of role.
Jeff Goldblum and Christopher Walkers are masters of a certain type of character.

Guys like Oldman, Bale, Daniel Day, etc. can become other characters of totally different types.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#28]
The Book of Eli is a fantastic movie!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HE WASN'T BLIND!

Yeah, those blind hand to hand fights and blind gunfights is what swayed you, huh? Pfffft!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
You're gonna be held to account for the things you've done, do you know that?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#32]
The two old cannibals would definitely be members of Arfcom
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

God was guiding his bullets
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bought a Hk45 just because of this movie.
View Quote

lol

Me too

Disappointed it didn't have a 20 round flush fit mags, like the movie.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#35]
One of those movies where you need to rewatch and notice the subtle details of how Eli behaves.  Then it becomes more clear he was blind the whole time.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It boggles my mind that people actually argue whether he was blind the whole time. That was the entire point of the movie.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0q5Hjv5XDk

Pretty clear (Except for the Cannibal shakes thing) that "George & Martha" were DEFININTELY 100% ARFCOMMERS!!

You got any more weapons??

I'll show you some weapons!!

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Sorry, but it is those "Cannibal Shakes" ARE what seals it that they are actual ARFcom. members!

Haven't you read the many threads here of disaster "discussions" about what to do when friends & family & strangers show up "uninvited & unprepared"?

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's interesting.  The first time I watched it I didn't catch it right away, and then I was thinking "He can't be blind can he!?!"   Then the next time I watched it I noticed all the little things he did that showed he was blind.   It was well done.   They show you, but they don't shove your face in it and force you to notice it right away.
View Quote

This is true, I had several blind friends who watched it and were amazed at the detail.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Didn't read all 3 pages so may have been said, but the whole point of the movie is he was [totally] blind and divine intervention was aiding him in his mission to preserve the last (known) Bible and thus preserve Christianity.

There are subtle clues throughout the movie that he is blind. He bumps into tables, uses his hands to feel things, and when his bag opens at one point we see a KMart employee/greeter tag with his name on it (insinuating he maybe was a handicapped greeter at a store). And of course the best indicator of the divine intervention is the shoot-out where the bad guys all miss and after taking careful aim Redridge looks at his gun like wtf, how did I miss.

If he isn't blind then the underlying theme of the story is totally lost.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, those blind hand to hand fights and blind gunfights is what swayed you, huh? Pfffft!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HE WASN'T BLIND!

He uses sound every time and there's that whole "divine quest" piece of the story.

The first fight when he uses his machete/sword he draws them into the dark and uses the noise they make to know where to strike.  In the shootout, he only shoots people who shoot first.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

God was guiding his hand.  The whole movie he was on a Mission from God and was being watched over.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I am one with the force, the force is with me. Shit, wrong movie...
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Nothing in the movie gave a super hero vibe.  It was a post war or some other type of dystopian country. No super powers or gay assed costumes.

A man found a bible that was in braille format. Simple as that.

Divine intervention you say? Why didn't it stop him from being shot and killed? After all, he was the savior of "the word". Shouldn't that mighty chore rate at least living to old age.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nothing in the movie gave a super hero vibe.  It was a post war or some other type of dystopian country. No super powers or gay assed costumes.

Divine intervention you say? Why didn't it stop him from being shot and killed? After all, he was the savior of "the word". Shouldn't that mighty chore rate at least living to old age.
View Quote

He got to join God after completing his task, and was also blessed with the realization he didn't need the book anymore because he knew it by heart.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Kindle has a braille app for my android
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how tf does that work
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
how tf does that work
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how tf does that work

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

He had lost his way when he got shot.    He still got the job done though.    The job was getting the bible through.  It didn't matter if he lived.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Made me shop for machetes.

Still pissed off that all machete scabbards are complete shit.

Custom scabbards are crazy expensive.

Thinking about making my own damn scabbards, but don't want/can't-afford ANOTHER hobby.

The Cold Steel machete looks like a reasonable enough compromise.

https://a.co/d/jiX4anQ

Lacks the guard/choil and the signature oval-cutouts.
The rubber grip seems OK compromise compared to the string-wrap.
Cold Steel scabbard is OK-ish

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is true, I had several blind friends who watched it and were amazed at the detail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top