By your command
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Similar to a Brain Bug is always thought
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skink] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I just didn’t get into ot that much.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I wish she had been on the original Battlestar, would've been even more awesome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, it depends. In the original series it was kept vague. But in the prequel to the reboot series it's actually very clear.

The cylons are all violently batshit insane, even towards each other because they were all copied off the mental platform of a violentely insane and quite terroristic teenage girl.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By blue2golf:

I wish she had been on the original Battlestar, would've been even more awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By blue2golf:

Changed it. Not feeling well and screwed up my space babes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gutter1000] [#8]

Hottie!

And Athena!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC the 2 series had a little different backstory.  In the original series, the Cylons were the product of a different race and they rebelled against it.  In the new series, they were the product of the 12 colonies.  The 13th colony had a parallel group of Cylons - with a slightly different shape.  Then add that the skin jobs were Cylons created for the 12 colonies Cylons by the 13th colony final 5.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#10]
Hmmm….I think the Cylons are here already…

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]

How dare you treat a historic lesbian female African American with such disrespect! 😤
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
In the book the original series was based on, the ancient Cylons were lizards. They created robots who then destroyed the lizard race. Imperious Leader was a robot based on an ancient Cylon leader.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the remakes that was vastly superior to the original.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Can't find the pic of her in her flight compression suit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Toasted:

How dare you treat a historic lesbian female African American with such disrespect! 😤
View All Quotes

Holy hell, way to totally disrespect the cylons with that fucking picture!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:19:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dumak] [#16]
The original cylons were a lizard race at war with humans. Then all the lizards died out with only one remaining.

That lone remaining cylon was Count Ibly either in lizard form or lizard robot form.

The wreckage that they found was the Battlestar Pegasus. Ibly lead the Pegasus to their destruction after they separated from the fleet when the Pegasus took out the two base stars.

Baltar figured it out when Ibly came to visit him in jail. Ibly was trying to destroy the humans after he destroyed the original cylons.

Ibly broke the rule against directly interfering after he killed Apollo.Thats when the space angels showed up to punish him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Well, it depends. In the original series it was kept vague. But in the prequel to the reboot series it's actually very clear.

The cylons are all violently batshit insane, even towards each other because they were all copied off the mental platform of a violentely insane and quite terroristic teenage girl.
View Quote

.. Who somehow became an old man with severe mommy issues.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gutter1000:
...a lizard?  Interesting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338038/IMG_4404_jpeg-3197132.JPG
View Quote

Cylons were an alien race originally. Not man created like in the remake
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

How dare you treat a historic lesbian female African American with such disrespect!  

No kidding.  The Cylons and lizards are offended!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

View All Quotes

the skinjobs were not from the same lineage as the toaster/Zoe cylons
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#22]
What really pissed me off about the reimagined series was all this buildup about the one cylon god. It was fascinating to see the robots as a monotheistic culture, and the colonies at a polytheistic culture, but did they ever pay it off? Nope. So much wasted potential.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#23]
(Snip)
The Imperious Leader resembles the reptilian species that created the Cylons to begin with, though it is entirely mechanical and has no organic components. Built with three distinct brains, the Imperious Leader possesses unparalleled computational power, making it an excellent strategist and commander. In the event that the Imperious Leader is destroyed, another is selected from an IL-series Cylon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:27:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin72] [#24]
There was a comic book done on the origins. This video explains it...

Battlestar Galactica 1978 - Origin of the Cylons
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Cylon 1 aka Cavill was technically from both lineages and this made him doubly insane. Essentially a biological entity, thrown into a mechanical body, then put back into a biological body again that he really did not want to go back to. He tried to treat his biological body as a mechanical body by cutting out his own ability to sleep after he had one too many nightmares about dog faced pony soldiers chasing him through yellow woods.

The much ballyhooed Final 5 tried to create a perfected Cylon codenamed Daniel. This failed because of Cavill's sabotage. I'm tempted to think that Baltar was a version of Daniel. But this will never be definitively established.

I don't think you're ever going to be able to establish a coherent motivation for why anyone would want to eradicate a sentient species that you've proven several times that you can live with beyond that they are evil to the core and very likely severely mentally ill.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MarkMustang:
What really pissed me off about the reimagined series was all this buildup about the one cylon god. It was fascinating to see the robots as a monotheistic culture, and the colonies at a polytheistic culture, but did they ever pay it off? Nope. So much wasted potential.
View Quote

I don't see where they could have gone with that concept beyond where it ultimately wound up. These are some very complicated concepts that are simply beyond most writers abilities to tackle.

But oh how they try sometimes...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:
There was a comic book done on the origins. This video explains it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXmTEciA7Mw
View Quote

Oh yes, a slight error in programming.

The Simpsons - Krusty Doll Set To Evil
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
In the book the original series was based on, the ancient Cylons were lizards. They created robots who then destroyed the lizard race. Imperious Leader was a robot based on an ancient Cylon leader.
View Quote

Like AI is going to do to us in 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Weird to see this thread, I just started watching the pilot episode again the other day.

must be something in the ether.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:18:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Oh yes, a slight error in programming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8dcmLscf3g
View Quote

Not all AIs know about Asimov's laws of Robotics. Hell, they aren't even programming the current AIs with them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:27:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#31]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:
Not all AIs know about Asimov's laws of Robotics. Hell, they aren't even programming the current AIs with them.
View Quote

I am firmly of the belief that if AI does become a serious, world ending threat then it won't be because of any flaw in the hardware. It will be an outgrowth of the deeply seated psychological issues of the psychotic weirdos creating it.

Be it the dangerously unstable and widely hated tech-bros of Silicon Valley or the Chinese Communists. They will create a monstrosity that will incorporate all their personal hangups into an entity that will desperately try to get revenge on various people to please its creator (probably in an unnecessarily horrifying and painful fashion) for reasons that wouldn't make a lick of sense to any sane person.

Maybe this AI will expunge all life on Earth and then it will die from lack of maintenance? Or perhaps we get the Butlerian Jihad a few thousand years ahead of schedule?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:37:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin72] [#32]

I am firmly of the belief that if AI does become a serious, world ending threat then it won't be because of any flaw in the hardware. It will be an outgrowth of the deeply seated psychological issues of the psychotic weirdos creating it.

Be it the dangerously unstable and widely hated tech-bros of Silicon Valley or the Chinese Communists. They will create a monstrosity that will incorporate all their personal hangups into an entity that will end the human race (probably in an unnecessarily horrifying and painful fashion) for reasons that wouldn't make a lick of sense to any sane person.
View Quote

You very well might be right. Which is the same thing that happened to the Cylons. Damn viscious circle...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Eyes of a goat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Gotta be cold blooded to be the Imperious Leader of the Cylons.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#35]
All of these shitposts have happened before.   And all of these shitposts will happen again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

That's an insult to Cylons
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyclone] [#38]
Originally Posted By Dumak:
The original cylons were a lizard race at war with humans. Then all the lizards died out with only one remaining.

That lone remaining cylon was Count Ibly either in lizard form or lizard robot form.

The wreckage that they found was the Battlestar Pegasus. Ibly lead the Pegasus to their destruction after they separated from the fleet when the Pegasus took out the two base stars.

Baltar figured it out when Ibly came to visit him in jail. Ibly was trying to destroy the humans after he destroyed the original cylons.

Ibly broke the rule against directly interfering after he killed Apollo.Thats when the space angels showed up to punish him.
View Quote

You sure? Count Iblis wasnt a Cylon...............he was the Galactica version of Satan, and the glowing spacecraft that rescued Apollo were "Angels" opposing Iblis...............he was their "Prince of Darkness".........look at the scenes where they shot him below:

Attachment Attached File

Iblis is also the leader of demonic forces in Islam
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Since they lifted so much from Fred Saberhagen's Berserker series, I always figured their origin story was also pretty much like the Berserkers'-- created as a weapon in an interstellar war, told to "End Life" and turned loose in the enemy system, and when they're all dead comes home and rubs out their creators as well, and now they just keep expanding out and building/improving models as they go-- I can see how they might employ organic parts in some of their systems, but that "Imperious Leader" looks more like a possum than anything else to me-- but then I'm old enough to remember the Berserkers, and watched the first show when it was new, so my viewpoint may be a bit skewed--
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

You sure? Count Iblis wasnt a Cylon...............he was the Galactica version of Satan, and the glowing spacecraft that rescued Apollo were "Angels" opposing Iblis...............he was their "Prince of Darkness".........look at the scenes where they shot him below:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43372/300px-IblisRevealed_jpg-3197564.JPG

Iblis is also the leader of demonic forces in Islam
View Quote

Actually a pic of House Republicans that voted to give away 91 billion dollars we don't have.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ductapeman:
Since they lifted so much from Fred Saberhagen's Berserker series, I always figured their origin story was also pretty much like the Berserkers'-- created as a weapon in an interstellar war, told to "End Life" and turned loose in the enemy system, and when they're all dead comes home and rubs out their creators as well, and now they just keep expanding out and building/improving models as they go-- I can see how they might employ organic parts in some of their systems, but that "Imperious Leader" looks more like a possum than anything else to me-- but then I'm old enough to remember the Berserkers, and watched the first show when it was new, so my viewpoint may be a bit skewed--
View Quote

And The Doomsday Weapon was a direct Berserker concept copy.

Still have a couple of Saberhagen's works in my library some place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MarkMustang:
View Quote

Watch Caprica.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Cylon 1 aka Cavill was technically from both lineages and this made him doubly insane. Essentially a biological entity, thrown into a mechanical body, then put back into a biological body again that he really did not want to go back to. He tried to treat his biological body as a mechanical body by cutting out his own ability to sleep after he had one too many nightmares about dog faced pony soldiers chasing him through yellow woods.

The much ballyhooed Final 5 tried to create a perfected Cylon codenamed Daniel. This failed because of Cavill's sabotage. I'm tempted to think that Baltar was a version of Daniel. But this will never be definitively established.

I don't think you're ever going to be able to establish a coherent motivation for why anyone would want to eradicate a sentient species that you've proven several times that you can live with beyond that they are evil to the core and very likely severely mentally ill.
View Quote

Wasn't Karas father Daniel?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SamuelAdams1776:
All of these shitposts have happened before.   And all of these shitposts will happen again.
View Quote

Touche' !

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Ductapeman:
View Quote
Wait, there was a Berserker TV show?  Shit! I gotta find that.  I loved that series of books. The one with the Pistol Shrimp was awesome. Biologics, strike back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By wesr228:
I guess I just didn’t get into ot that much.
View Quote

Theatrical release mentioned it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top