Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:53:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#1]
Lessons learned.

Blisters come when your feet are sweaty and are getting a lot of friction.  Wear two pair of socks.  The outer pair should be the thick wool type, army issue works, but beyond that dont need to be anything special.  Thin polypro socks against your feet wick the sweat to the wool outer layer, and keep your feet dry. Works like a champ.

If you are going to use foot powder, use antifungal.  Desenex is waaaay better then some talcum powder brand.

Keep most of your socks in the center of your ruck, keep some in the outer pocket. Ziploc bags for the ones in the outer pocket, in case it rains and soaks your socks, and have a way to isolate your nasty socks so they dont stink up your ruck.

Gore tex boot liner socks are excellent. Get a pair.   NEVER wear them if you think you will be around streams or if your feet go under water the water leaks in through  the top and it is like a swimming pool for your feet.   Dont wear them when it is wet.  After a night of rain or whatever, put  a  pair of dry socks on, then the gore tex, then your wet boots, and wear them until your boots dry out.  Dry socks in wet boots will equal wet feet, then blisters.  Leaving your wet socks on because your boots are wet is no fun either.

The best light infantry units understand discipline is what happens on a road march at three in the morning.  Are leaders trooping the line, checking soldiers? Are weapons being shifted around? Is it a steady pace with structured rest stops so soldiers know when to change socks and who pulls security and are intervals maintained, or is it grabass with accordian effect, pace increasing and decreasing, and rest stops that look like something out of the Bataan death march?  Three in the morning road march discipline is not the same as haircuts and shoeshine discipline...you learn alot about a unit on how they conduct themselves then.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
Lessons learned.

Blisters come when your feet are sweaty and are getting a lot of friction.  Wear two pair of socks.  The outer pair should be the thick wool type, army issue works, but beyond that dont need to be anything special.  Thin polypro socks against your feet wick the sweat to the wool outer layer, and keep your feet dry. Works like a champ.

If you are going to use foot powder, use antifungal.  Desenex is waaaay better then some talcum powder brand.

Keep most of your socks in the center of your ruck, keep some in the outer pocket. Ziploc bags for the ones in the outer pocket, in case it rains and soaks your socks, and have a way to isolate your nasty socks so they dont stink up your ruck.

Gore tex boot liner socks are excellent. Get a pair.   NEVER wear them if you think you will be around streams or if your feet go under water the water leaks in through  the top and it is like a swimming pool for your feet.   Dont wear them when it is wet.  After a night of rain or whatever, put  a  pair of dry socks on, then the gore tex, then your wet boots, and wear them until your boots dry out.  Dry socks in wet boots will equal wet feet, then blisters.  Leaving your wet socks on because your boots are wet is no fun either.

The best light infantry units understand discipline is what happens on a road march at three in the morning.  Are leaders trooping the line, checking soldiers? Are weapons being shifted around? Is it a steady pace with structured rest stops so soldiers know when to change socks and who pulls security and are intervals maintained, or is it grabass with accordian effect, pace increasing and decreasing, and rest stops that look like something out of the Bataan death march?  Three in the morning road march discipline is not the same as haircuts and shoeshine discipline...you learn alot about a unit on how they conduct themselves then.
View Quote

I'd like to know under what circumstances you use goretex socks. Anytime me and mine are moving, we're doing so in such a manner that we're sweating through our boots, even when it's below freezing. Genuinely curious.
I ziplock ALL socks, t shirts, and underwear. Not sure if I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but packs each set of skivvies and socks in their own ziplock inside your main WP bag makes it easier to find in some dark ass PB in the middle of the night. Having one or two pairs of socks in a sustainment pouch for changing on movements is a good practice, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By wag_bag:

I'd like to know under what circumstances you use goretex socks. Anytime me and mine are moving, we're doing so in such a manner that we're sweating through our boots, even when it's below freezing. Genuinely curious.
I ziplock ALL socks, t shirts, and underwear. Not sure if I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but packs each set of skivvies and socks in their own ziplock inside your main WP bag makes it easier to find in some dark ass PB in the middle of the night. Having one or two pairs of socks in a sustainment pouch for changing on movements is a good practice, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Lessons learned.

I keep goretex socks in my ruck, in the event of a thunderstorm or really wet conditions, when the storm passes and it is now dry out, I would put dry socks and goretex in and wear both until my boots dry out.  When boots are dry, take the goretex socks out and back in the ruck.  That is a couple of hours I do not have dry feet and dry socks grinding up against the inside of a wet pair of boots.  They came in really handy in a warm wet environment like FT Polk where you would have thunderstorms pass through rapidly and soak you/everything.

I would also wear them in a patrol base if stationary.  If there is a remote chance of movement through a creek or something, I wouldnt do it as if water comes through the top you have to immediately pull them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#4]

I keep goretex socks in my ruck, in the event of a thunderstorm or really wet conditions, when the storm passes and it is now dry out, I would put dry socks and goretex in and wear both until my boots dry out.  When boots are dry, take the goretex socks out and back in the ruck.  That is a couple of hours I do not have dry feet and dry socks grinding up against the inside of a wet pair of boots.  They came in really handy in a warm wet environment like FT Polk where you would have thunderstorms pass through rapidly and soak you/everything.

I would also wear them in a patrol base if stationary.  If there is a remote chance of movement through a creek or something, I wouldnt do it as if water comes through the top you have to immediately pull them.
View Quote

http://www.amazon.com/Hanz-Waterproof-Calf-Blk-lg-21194/dp/B005WXNNCW/ref=pd_sim_a_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JD5XB9SFRH0RK07W9R9

extra tall cuff top
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
bump
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:49:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wag_bag] [#7]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
The issued "water proof bag" always had some pinholes so I got in the habit of using 2 Hefty lawn bags as an outer layer.

Did quite a few river crossings/water ops and never had wet gear inside my ruck.

I too put some socks in a (freezer strength) ziplock bag in the outside pockets.
View Quote

I always do that regardless of the condition of the WP bag. I also spray down my ruck with camp dry or an equivalent. It's cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#8]

I always do that regardless of the condition of the WP bag. I also spray down my ruck with camp dry or an equivalent. It's cheap insurance.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
The issued "water proof bag" always had some pinholes so I got in the habit of using 2 Hefty lawn bags as an outer layer.

Did quite a few river crossings/water ops and never had wet gear inside my ruck.

I too put some socks in a (freezer strength) ziplock bag in the outside pockets.

Used to do that with my field jacket.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:26:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#9]
Shelter

Just spent the weekend camping with my Scout Troop, getting them ready for the summer.  Everyone brought tents but me.  Weather forecast had rain for both days, which I had been monitoring.  I hate tents.  The only thing they are good for is maybe keeping out insects if you're quick with the zipper in a civvy setting.

For those that have been in light infantry units, you all know what I'm going to say next.

Poncho Hooch

Since you're carrying 100lbs of lightweight crap, tents or purpose-designed shelters don't cut the mustard, with the rare exception of some high-speed, compact individual shelters.

I learned to build a poncho hooch really quick as a young hooah, and have never looked back.

This weekend, I did the same thing.  All I use are my 5 bungee cords, my double thickness poncho, throw down the sleep mat, keep the hooch very low to the ground, and prepare for a bone dry night in a sopping wet world.  Breaks down quickly in the morning, packs really small (SOP was always poncho inside the top flap of the Large ALICE Pack in every unit I was in.)

It's funny to watch tents blow away in the wind, while the hooch blends in with the ground.  I look for 4 trees with an overhanging limb in the middle. If I can't find that, I use stakes and one overhanging structure.  If no overhang at all, you can make poles out of thin, green tree shafts that will arch over.  2 of them will make a dome frame, with electrician's or narrow strips of duct tape to tie the apex together.

If going to the desert and using hooches, take the tent pole sections from the old shelterhalf, and take some lightweight stakes that will go deep into the dirt.  Dig into the ground to insulate from the sun, and use a woobie as insulation under the poncho.

Someone mentioned Waterproof Bags.  I never had issues with them, to include construction of poncho rafts.  The only thing now is that my WP Bags are mostly dry-rotted, and need to be replaced.  Heavy Duty trash bags act as a temporary solution in the meantime.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Recently, the USMC switched to issuing tarps instead of ponchos. I was a huge fan. Army still uses ponchos, though. I usually carry two ponchos. You can make an awesome hooch with a couple ponchos and bungees. I keep two bungees wrapped around my ruck  in case we get blown out and I have to grab everything, stuff it, and haul ass. There's some field craft involved in making a good hooch that really has to be shown in person. Last year on Sicily, we had tornados and some hellacious thunderstorms come rolling in. We stayed perfectly dry through each one. Well, my squad did.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:35:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: native4alpha] [#11]
Originally Posted By DocBach:

I discovered that during basic -- early on I use to occupy my time thinking about previous sexual exploits but that just left me frustrated. Then one day I was thinking about how I missed music and realized I pretty much had all my favorite Slayer songs memorized. But I'm younger than you, most of my internal playlist was Diabolus in Musica and God Hates Us All.

Pretty much I just play Slayer albums in my head for any movement since then.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

My secret to embracing the suck is Slayer.  

I discovered that during basic -- early on I use to occupy my time thinking about previous sexual exploits but that just left me frustrated. Then one day I was thinking about how I missed music and realized I pretty much had all my favorite Slayer songs memorized. But I'm younger than you, most of my internal playlist was Diabolus in Musica and God Hates Us All.

Thinking about pussy and candy always helped me make it through ruck marches.  I gotta say, I did suck at rucking though.  It was really the only thing I hated.  PT was a cinch, combatives, field problems, same same.  But a fucking ruck march would ruin my day.  

Come th think of it, I also got into sneaking my mp3 loaded up with prodigy towards the end of my stint in the Infantry.

ETA: this thread is the dogs bollocks! Woobies, and taj-ma-hooches....  Getting all misty thinking about the suck in Korea and Benning... The Hood was a different time since it was 100% mech.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Buddy is a Guard medic, they took back his woobies and ponchos because they were woodland, not UCP...  They even took his cold weather gear, since he's not in a field slot at the moment, despite being in a state that gets a fair amount of snow...  
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:
Buddy is a Guard medic, they took back his woobies and ponchos because they were woodland, not UCP...  They even took his cold weather gear, since he's not in a field slot at the moment, despite being in a state that gets a fair amount of snow...  
View Quote

That's just mean.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By kpel308:

Taking a man's woobie???  CALL THE JAG!!!!!

View Quote
Fragging. I think they did it the 'Nam for shit like that.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:01:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavScout8] [#16]
A pair of Oakleys were the best money I ever spent, especially being I had worn out my issued boots.

Felt like running shoes out of the box, very lightweight, but still stiff enough sole for rucking. Probably not over very jagged rocky surfaces though.

Prepare to wear through laces though. Would break on mission, and I'd just tie them, as shown.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#18]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J-L] [#20]
I had good luck with my blackhawk boots on .mil deployment.

when I contracted I used a set of leather asolo's - very pricey but good god great boots, I destroyed them over 3 years of hard use in different locations, and had them re-soled with vibrams.

the company who re-soled them did a shitty job and the sole came off on the edges.

so after multiple attempts of self I repair I found two items that worked great at the seams

3M gasket sealer

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=TSJVH7D9JXbeQH8HT14PGTgl
-and-

the polygrab construction adhesive that dries clear at home depot (this is actually better).
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Music is an awesome tool. No way I'm going to admit what goes through my mind when I'm off on my own, though. My mind wanders a lot...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By qualityhardware:

My secret to embracing the suck is Slayer.  

That's fucking awesome.

Slayer.

Music is an awesome tool. No way I'm going to admit what goes through my mind when I'm off on my own, though. My mind wanders a lot...

Music and jolly ranchers has been my ruck march tool for years. Sing a song in my head on repeat and the time passes quick.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AFARR:
Couple of thoughts from a Foot Dr's perspective.   (Not being 'heavy user' of my own feet...not a runner or hiker).   Very good info above...and I've learned some from reading it.

Friction causes most blisters.     The shear between the layers of skin allow the separation of the layers and fluid accumulation.    Keep the feet dry (as mentioned above) and you'll do significantly better than wearing sweaty socks as moisture can increase the friction.  

Polypropylene liner socks (Coolmax or Thermax) socks can help a lot.

Blisters...I'll de-roof them (of course most of my patients are diabetic and elderly), and have them apply Betadine to them to dry them quickly (and prevent infection).

Tinea Pedis (athletes foot) is normally associated with moisture...so if you're keeping your feet dry, you'll not only help prevent the blisters but the tinea.    Betadine actually works well for the splitting between the toes from tinea (dries it quickly)...then using a good antifungal regularly for several weeks will help to eliminate it.

Not applicable for soldiers...but for people who work in boots...you'll do a whole lot better to have two pairs and alternate wearing them to work...that lets them dry out and helps to prevent most moisture issues with your feet, and will help with prolonging their lifespan.

Retgar had good info above about boots, but I'll throw in a bit more....there's actually 3 measurements that are important to a boot/shoe fit.    The third (in addition to the length to the longest toe) is the 'metatarsal length' or 'arch length'...basically the heel to the metatarsal heads (where you're measuring the width).    Boots/shoes are designed to flex in that area...so if you've got stubby toes, you may be wearing shoes that are trying to flex in the wrong spot for your feet.     I'll generally tell people to go with the longest (either overall length or metatarsal length) measurement for the shoes/boots...which means you need one of these for a proper fit:
http://store.acor.com/product_images/t/826/BrannockDevice__56388_zoom.jpg
That old 'where's your toes in the front of the shoe' isn't really a proper way to fit (other than to ensure there's adequate space in front of the toes).

AFARR
View Quote

What are your thoughts on insoles, in particular for those of us with fallen arches or pretty bad plantar fascia? I'm honestly not convinced that insoles work better than doubling up on socks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I wore green jungles 99% of the time I was in, unless there was actual snow on the ground and we were going to be moving through it.

I never switched to the black ones.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#24]
tag.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Great thread OP.
Took this yesterday. Nike SFBs holding it down after 4 days of an 85 pound ruck and swamps, the pre-emptive shoo-goo is starting to peel but other than that they're fine. Oh look, those ACUs are almost camouflage.

Wool/Merino mid to lightweight socks and lightweight boots are best in summer. Don't screw around with waterproof boots unless it's freezing and you know for sure your feet won't be submerged. Once water gets inside waterproof boots you're looking at a much longer drying time. Lightweight boots combined with wool socks will dry within a few hours of walking.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 12:18:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFARR] [#26]
Originally Posted By NUcadet07:
Snip....
What are your thoughts on insoles, in particular for those of us with fallen arches or pretty bad plantar fascia? I'm honestly not convinced that insoles work better than doubling up on socks.
View Quote

There's a huge difference between a good orthotic and a cheap over the counter insert/insole.     A true orthotic will 'bring the ground up to your foot', and ideally align things for better 'wear' on the joints (and reduce strain on muscles/ligaments and the plantar fascia).     Buy a $20 Dr. Scholl's in a big box store (or stand on that machine and pay $50+ for an insole that's not a lot different than the $20 one) and you're not likely to get a proper fit for your foot.

See someone who knows orthotics...a podiatrist, foot & ankle orthopod, orthotist, pedorthist, etc....and they'll help you find a proper fit.     You don't have to go full custom (mold of the foot, etc.) to get a good orthotic.    Over The Counter types (Redi-Thotic, Powersteps, Lynco, etc.) may work fine for you.     (Yes, the gold standard is a custom molded orthotic...but they can be pricey...and I use a couple of those OTC types to prevent return of my plantar fasciitis instead of the custom pair I have...).

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Regarding the ruck itself, I've moved the main bag up higher on the frame while moving down the arm straps lower on the frame.

I know its a little hard to decipher all that from a crap pic. I also always have the shelf zipped and try and get the weight up high and in close, seems to work out for me.

A strange thing happened the other day though. I took my old large ALICE out for a quick six and it felt good. Really good. I was only at 35 pounds plus water though. I've seen some guys still using the ALICE at a few schools, is it worth it to switch over?

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:18:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wag_bag] [#28]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Regarding the ruck itself, I've moved the main bag up higher on the frame while moving down the arm straps lower on the frame.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Archerofloaf/NCM_0355_zpszzaqw6tn.jpg

I know its a little hard to decipher all that from a crap pic. I also always have the shelf zipped and try and get the weight up high and in close, seems to work out for me.

A strange thing happened the other day though. I took my old large ALICE out for a quick six and it felt good. Really good. I was only at 35 pounds plus water though. I've seen some guys still using the ALICE at a few schools, is it worth it to switch over?

View Quote

Honestly, I've done so much with a molle that I use it now. I wouldn't lower the srtaps too much as that will put the weight on your shoulders. The weight should be on your hips. You do want to move the pack up the frame if you can.

Eta: flip that waistbelt upside down and you'll get the frame an inch higher
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Securing the waist belt of your ruck over the top of your magazine pouches on your plate carrier/chest rig, will get the weight off your shoulders and center it around your core.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:57:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wag_bag] [#30]
Originally Posted By Mister_H:
Securing the waist belt of your ruck over the top of your magazine pouches on your plate carrier/chest rig, will get the weight off your shoulders and center it around your core.
View Quote

Dude...oooowwwwwww. With the molle, the kidney pad is offset like on an alice pack and you can have it cinched down on your hip bones to transfer all the weight to your pelvis. Even with a vest or pc.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Dude...oooowwwwwww. With the molle, the kidney pad is offset like on an alice pack and you can have it cinched down on your hip bones to transfer all the weight to your pelvis. Even with a vest or pc.
View All Quotes

Try it, it's magic!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Try it, it's magic!
View All Quotes

Try it, it's magic!

I did with the ilbe and mtv. No bueno for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:57:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimJ] [#33]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#34]

I am amazed the fucking army lets you guys wear non-issue gear!

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:

View Quote

Army got smart, and senior NCOs got softer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

Wiser words were never spoken.

Also, don't run with extra weight if you love the connective tissue in your spine, hips, knees and on down to your toes.

Some things that don't kill you make you weaker, not stronger.  Not everything physical is conditioning.   Nizeche was wrong.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Don't do runs in boots when you are bored, kids!

Wiser words were never spoken.

Also, don't run with extra weight if you love the connective tissue in your spine, hips, knees and on down to your toes.

Some things that don't kill you make you weaker, not stronger.  Not everything physical is conditioning.   Nizeche was wrong.

Meh.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Because NOTHING is more important than uniformity.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Reading this thread has been informative. I have some Danner boots with Gore-Tex liners and found out the hard way how much fun it is to have water spill into the tops when slipping off loose rocks carrying a 60lb pack during a river crossing. It was winter time too. That was really fun.

I see the wisdom of just plain old boots that drain and dry in warmer weather. Any recommendations? I have skinny has hell ankles but wide feet, so I have found through trial and error a full-size boot works to avoid Heels of Hamburger.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Was a 13A and spent too much time as a FIST Chief. I could only imagine what the LTC/SGM would have said had we fallen out with no issued boots for a road march. Much less to have cut the brass hooks off of the LBE and put paracord back in its place!
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 1:32:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#43]

So what do you think his GT score will be.....Who cares. Doesn't look like a 300 APFT. Toss him....
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#45]
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-38kKzLDTAms/TyjSYWDPL-I/AAAAAAAAC4E/Bo3hY_eNcZk/s1600/eutanasia.jpg

So what do you think his GT score will be.....Who cares. Doesn't look like a 300 APFT. Toss him....
View Quote

Lulz.
And this one...he will be a strong ranger. Teach him to load mags and do tie downs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By qualityhardware:
Reading this thread has been informative. I have some Danner boots with Gore-Tex liners and found out the hard way how much fun it is to have water spill into the tops when slipping off loose rocks carrying a 60lb pack during a river crossing. It was winter time too. That was really fun.

I see the wisdom of just plain old boots that drain and dry in warmer weather. Any recommendations? I have skinny has hell ankles but wide feet, so I have found through trial and error a full-size boot works to avoid Heels of Hamburger.
View Quote

Rocky S2V's for a army boot. Solomon's get rave reviews if the regs dont apply, though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By wganz:

Was a 13A and spent too much time as a FIST Chief. I could only imagine what the LTC/SGM would have said had we fallen out with no issued boots for a road march. Much less to have cut the brass hooks off of the LBE and put paracord back in its place!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wganz:

we had a guy try and wear elbow pads to m16 qualify range. top charro  had a fucking fit!!! he tried giving the poor bastard a article 15 for being out of uniform. luckily we had a bamf battalion commander who put a stop to the bs. top ran a lot of good joes out of the army.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AFARR:

Retgar had good info above about boots, but I'll throw in a bit more....there's actually 3 measurements that are important to a boot/shoe fit.    The third (in addition to the length to the longest toe) is the 'metatarsal length' or 'arch length'...basically the heel to the metatarsal heads (where you're measuring the width).    Boots/shoes are designed to flex in that area...so if you've got stubby toes, you may be wearing shoes that are trying to flex in the wrong spot for your feet.     I'll generally tell people to go with the longest (either overall length or metatarsal length) measurement for the shoes/boots...which means you need one of these for a proper fit:
http://store.acor.com/product_images/t/826/BrannockDevice__56388_zoom.jpg
That old 'where's your toes in the front of the shoe' isn't really a proper way to fit (other than to ensure there's adequate space in front of the toes).

AFARR
View Quote

I'd say that there are three measurements that we can take that we can factor into the decision. Of course the foot is a 3D structure and as such there are many variations in different areas that make a difference. Other things like heel protrusion, foot shape at the toes, instep, etc all go into a proper fit. The Brannock device is purely a starting point. And frankly, I don't find it necessary too often.

I'd also say to folks that choosing your podiatrist properly is important too. I'm sure you're awesome AFARR, but I've heard some truly shitty advice before. Had one woman come into the store after a podiatrist visit a bit confused because the quack recommended that she try "Brooks" shoes. I of course asked her what kind and she said he didn't specify the model. She seemed quite sharp and certainly wasn't old and senile, so I don't think the info was relayed wrong. I've had way too many occurrences like that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:35:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: retgarr] [#50]
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-38kKzLDTAms/TyjSYWDPL-I/AAAAAAAAC4E/Bo3hY_eNcZk/s1600/eutanasia.jpg

View Quote

That's what happened to me! Badass GT but was otherwise defective. Got a ticket for littering ya know. So off the side of the mountain I go.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top