BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wisconsin seceded?

Also we'll be throwing some Swedish bofors gun on that badboy. The real firepower will be the VLS of course.
View Quote

Oto Melara cannons are better imho
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Will the deck guns be Berettas?  If so, I’ll take one.
View Quote

Oto Melara 76 mm automatic cannons on the italian FREMM's

I posted a video above. Real beasts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
How many Lamborghini V12s are required to power a frigate?

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Saudi Arabia is buying six freedom variant LCS.
View Quote

Fair point, though the Saudi ships are significantly better armed than ours are, with actual LCS cells and stuff. I figured they had come to their senses
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Saudi Arabia is buying six freedom variant LCS.
View Quote
As long as they don't utilize the combining gears in the transmission to actually get it to go anywhere under its own power, it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The Italian glass bottom ones?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's being built in Wisconsin.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yay, just what our military needs. More globalization. Don't want to use American workers to make American ships in American dockyards. Nope. Gotta use third worlders and sub par materials in foreign yards on a foreign design. Disgusting.

It's being built in Wisconsin.  

Its not like we've never gotten good ideas from other countries for military hardware, right?

M1892 Krag (Norway)
M1903 Springfield (Germany)
30-06 Ammo (Germany)
M1917 Enfield (UK)
FT-17 Tank (French)
Canon de 75 modle 1897 (and all of its progeny, including the M6 tank/aircraft guns) (French)
Canon de 155mm GPF (French)
Nene/P&W J42 (UK)
Tay/P&W J48 (UK)
Oerlikon 20 mm/Bofors 40 mm (infinitely better than the U.S. Navy's internally designed 1.1" piece of shit) (Sweden)
Hispano-Suiza HS.404 20mm/Colt Mk12 (Spanish/French)
Nord SS.11/SS.12 (French)
M252 81mm mortar (UK)
M327 120mm mortar (French)
OTO Melara 76 mm (Italian)
M3/M4 84mm Carl Gustaf

And probably a bunch of other shit I couldn't think of immediately.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oto Melara 76 mm automatic cannons on the italian FREMM's

I posted a video above. Real beasts.
View Quote

USN should put the latest 5-in that frigate.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It’s being built in Wisconsin.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yay, just what our military needs. More globalization. Don't want to use American workers to make American ships in American dockyards. Nope. Gotta use third worlders and sub par materials in foreign yards on a foreign design. Disgusting.

It’s being built in Wisconsin.  

Shhhhhhhhhhh let him go
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Oh yes the 124 mm is impressive too
127/64 LW Vulcano naval gun system Oto Melara

Edit: shoots at the end of the video
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For NAVSEA to accept the Italian frigates without "customization", would mean NAVSEA isn't needed and could be de-funded.
View Quote

........... except for the current ships being built and in inventory, their scheduled overhauls, the systems that populate them and planned tech refresh.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They should have gone with the Dutch Absalon-class ships.
View Quote

Those are great if you're not ever going to fight anyone besides pirates or Chinese fishing vessels.  For most of Europe, especially little shits like the Republic of Ireland, the Absalon would be perfect because it's great at showing the flag, humanitarian missions, peacekeeping, anti-piracy, resource protection, you know: all the things warships normally do.  If you want to fight a major-power war in the Pacific, not so much.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I am just imagining the beautiful Terrazzo that will be in the CIC!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Good, now the Navy will be able to play Bumper-Boats in some Italian rides.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
120 RPM on a 76mm?! Damn that's pretty good firepower.
View Quote

Meh, anymore having a gun like that is just to get pirates wet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Meh, anymore having a gun like that is just to get pirates wet.
View Quote

Or for coastal Fire support. Consider also that every round can be GPS guided
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Been to Italy.

No such thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And please also export some of your hot womenz and I don't mean the Jersey Shore type

Been to Italy.

No such thing

I don't know where you went in Italy, but I nearly got whiplash when I visited.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Those are great if you're not ever going to fight anyone besides pirates or Chinese fishing vessels.  For most of Europe, especially little shits like the Republic of Ireland, the Absalon would be perfect because it's great at showing the flag, humanitarian missions, peacekeeping, anti-piracy, resource protection, you know: all the things warships normally do.  If you want to fight a major-power war in the Pacific, not so much.
View Quote

Frigates are useful for anti submarine warfare. Like in the Pacific.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or for coastal Fire support. Consider also that every round can be GPS guided
View Quote

It’s also a big anti missile system.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It’s also a big anti missile system.
View Quote

Right. And anti aircraft.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

By the way, every nation has a tradition on building some weapons Better than others.. for example german build good tanks, Italians build good tank destroyers and frigates, americans build good aircrafts, aircraft carriers and helicopters, russians build good human waves, etc
View Quote

Ouch lol
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont know but they make some super sweet mega yachts....

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If memory serves, it apparently will be required to have a completely different US designed and built power plant after the first 10, so as to maintain maximum boondoggle.  Also they've reinforced and thickened the steel throughout, because reasons, requiring slight redesign of some spaces to allow for firefighting, etc.  And gone for the "maximum bird-shittery" yardarm mast as opposed to an enclosed mast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm waiting for NAVSEA to weigh in with thousands of required design changes which will add tens of billions to the cost and years to the schedule.

For NAVSEA to accept the Italian frigates without "customization", would mean NAVSEA isn't needed and could be de-funded. This is something a swamp full of .gov bureaucrats will never allow.
If memory serves, it apparently will be required to have a completely different US designed and built power plant after the first 10, so as to maintain maximum boondoggle.  Also they've reinforced and thickened the steel throughout, because reasons, requiring slight redesign of some spaces to allow for firefighting, etc.  And gone for the "maximum bird-shittery" yardarm mast as opposed to an enclosed mast.

We should be buying warships like we built liberty ships in WWII.  Build them fast simple and in large quantities.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Indeed.

I did a full ride in the Navy and spent a good chunk of it on tin cans. Without a doubt my two favorite things were running it hard when she was low in the water and firing the 5 inch main battery as fast as it would go.

The only bummer was the offset
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I do not like our military relying on foreign countries for our equipment needs.  Everything we field should be designed here and made here
View Quote
That's not exactly what's happening though, we buy foreign things all the time in return for foreign countries buying our stuff. The M1 Abrams uses two Belgian made 7.62 MGs. The M240 is a great MG, but we didn't buy it because it was better than ours, we bought it because they bought a shitload of F16s

This is pretty common and it doesn't mean we buy shit products from the foreign government, it's more of a tit for tat. They buy our stuff, we buy theirs

Z
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No such thing
View Quote

This is how I know you haven't been to Italy. I've been to Venice and to Milan, and worked in Egypt with a ton of Italian engineers, and yes, all the female engineers were hot too. It was remarkable

Italy is a damn nice country full of really cool people. Italians are awesome
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's not exactly what's happening though, we buy foreign things all the time in return for foreign countries buying our stuff. The M1 Abrams uses two Belgian made 7.62 MGs. The M240 is a great MG, but we didn't buy it because it was better than ours, we bought it because they bought a shitload of F16s
View Quote

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. The Mag58 was bought by the Ranger Batt, then the Marine Corps, because domestic machineguns didn’t work worth a shit. It is the best machinegun in its class. Find a different example.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's currently known as the Constellation-class frigate.  I just wish we were buying about 50 of the things on contract, to get them built and replace the LCS.
View Quote

Aren't we still building LCS's??? lol.

Wouldn't surprise me though.  It seems as though we've forgotten how to acquire war machines without fucking them up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mean, just mean.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Are you a Lockheed or Boeing lobbyist?  Everything 100% designed and made here that has been adopted within the last....30 years has been a dumpster fire that could only be doused with mountains of taxpayer funds.

The Constellation class are being built in the US, by US dock workers, using a design that already exists.
View Quote

The entire MIC needs to get thunderfucked
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. The Mag58 was bought by the Ranger Batt, then the Marine Corps, because domestic machineguns didn't work worth a shit. It is the best machinegun in its class. Find a different example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. The Mag58 was bought by the Ranger Batt, then the Marine Corps, because domestic machineguns didn't work worth a shit. It is the best machinegun in its class. Find a different example.
For fucks sake Einstein, you get my point derpy derp

Dumbest shit you've read all day? WTF, who gives a shit what you've read all day. Go have a beer and quit obsessing over nitpicky shit to look cool on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For fucks sake Einstein, you get my point derpy derp

Dumbest shit you've read all day? WTF, who gives a shit what you've read all day. Go have a beer and quit obsessing over nitpicky shit to look cool on the internet.
View Quote

That’s not a nitpicking thing it’s a fundamental error about the M60, M73/M219 and the Mag58.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Italians have a history of making some of the best looking ships in the world.
View Quote

Yes.  And they build them with glass bottoms so that they can see how beautiful the old Italian Navy was.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wanted a trip to the Garibaldi in my Harrier days.

View Quote
You sound like you'd be a fun guy to catch a drink with.  If you're ever in my AO (and everything isn't still fucked all to hell by our idiot Governor), first one's on me.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

These bench warmers build excellent warships since the first punic war straight to the Maritime Republics
View Quote

Only after you reverse-engineered a Carthaginian warship that washed ashore
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. The Mag58 was bought by the Ranger Batt, then the Marine Corps, because domestic machineguns didn’t work worth a shit. It is the best machinegun in its class. Find a different example.
View Quote

Actually you are wrong ,  the Army adopted the 240 for use on tanks to retire the M73 Co Ax gun.  Well before the Ranger Battalion(s)  used them .
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Danish Navy did accidentally fire a Harpoon missile into a bunch of beach houses many years ago.  
View Quote

Swedish beach houses?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Good. We can't build warships anymore.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Norwegians also paint big barcodes on the bow of their ships.

That way when they get to port, they can Scandinavian.
View Quote

Choke yourself
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Actually you are wrong ,  the Army adopted the 240 for use on tanks to retire the M73 Co Ax gun.  Well before the Ranger Battalion(s)  used them .
View Quote

I didn’t say the Rangers were the first. I was highlighting the fact that they found the M60 inadequate. Since that’s the gun that was referenced. Their first guns were coax guns they put stocks on. The M60 was a steaming pile of shit for 50 years but I’ve enjoyed some rounds with an E6.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I didn’t say the Rangers were the first. I was highlighting the fact that they found the M60 inadequate. Since that’s the gun that was referenced. Their first guns were coax guns they put stocks on. The M60 was a steaming pile of shit for 50 years but I’ve enjoyed some rounds with an E6.
View Quote

Actually that is not true either the guns were fine when new, what sucked was the Army running them till they wore out and then not adequately maintaining them .  

Maremont proved it and published the the findings as such.  When the M60 was properly maintained it was a very reliable gun.  I am not saying the 240 isn't a good gun  but the M60 isn't and wasn't a bad machine gun .
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Even when new they had a lot to fix. The bipod being attached to the barrel comes to mine. Sear problems. And it has a poor service life compared to a forged and riveted receiver. The E6 makes sense for an assault gun but using a stamped gun from a tripod is an expensive proposition. I don’t trust Maremonts data. They never could get the gun fully developed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You sound like you'd be a fun guy to catch a drink with.  If you're ever in my AO (and everything isn't still fucked all to hell by our idiot Governor), first one's on me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanted a trip to the Garibaldi in my Harrier days.

He is
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Only after you reverse-engineered a Carthaginian warship that washed ashore
View Quote

Yes.. the romans reverse engineered the at the time best warships in the world, made it much better, got control of the mediterranean sea in a few decades, wiped off the entire carthaginians civilization

Your servile war didn't go very well, too. Right, Spartacus? Thousands of crucified rebels on the Appian way for 150 miles, from Rome to Capua.. no joke

@spartacus200
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That kind of thinking is how we got the M-14, literally the worst option on the table at the time.

Besides, unless I badly misread the link,  the ships are actually being built in Wisconsin.
View Quote

And ironically, the Italians built a better M14 that actually used existing Garand tooling unlike Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Meh... what do the Dutch know about building ships?

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#50]
My wife, wanting to go back to Europe, has begun watching walking tour videos on YouTube, almost entirely in destination locations of coastal Italy. The videos are all from this summer, between July and August.

There seem to be crowds of tourists, and very few are wearing masks (significantly fewer than I see here in North Idaho, the freer region of a "freedom-loving" state).

Are these the dark times of which you speak? Looks great to me...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top