BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Equinox was even smaller and got thrown into the Delta Quadrant. They made it just as far as Voyager by killing some aliens and using them for fuel.
Janeway had a fit of course and demanded that that crew stopped doing it. In that 2 part episode she even tried to tell Chakotay if he went against her again she'd have him removed. I was hoping for a Denzel Crimson Tide moment. Were he placed her under arrest and tossed in the brig
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching Voyager as we speak.
She should've been over thrown and beamed into space
One thing I have always wondered about the Voyager series was: how much their journey home would have been different if they had a different/bigger class of starship. The Intrepid-class seemed rather small, limited resources, and perpetually under-gunned compared to some of the threats they faced, being that it was just a frigate.

Say it had been a Galaxy-class for instance that had gotten flung into the Delta Quadrant. They would have had a far larger crew, so some of the manpower shortages would have been less of an issue. Then there is the fact that it would have far more firepower and stronger shields. It could have bitch-slapped Kazon, Vidiians, Malon, and Hirogen where Voyager often got overpowered or driven away. Then there is the infrastructure of a Galaxy class. Multiple transporter rooms, cargo transporters, tons of cargo bays, shuttle bays, several sickbays and more than one Doctor on staff so you would not have been stuck with just the EMH. When they would come across some valuable resources, they had the space to really store a good supply of resources so they could have much longer legs before needing to replenish dilithium, deuterium, antimatter, and basic materials to feed the replicators.

Not to say the Galaxy class didn't have flaws in wasteful uses of some space and resources. Arboretums, dolphin tanks, and other excessive opulence. Or it may have been just the Ent-D that was particularly luxurious and that other Galaxy class ships were laid out more efficiently.
The Equinox was even smaller and got thrown into the Delta Quadrant. They made it just as far as Voyager by killing some aliens and using them for fuel.
Janeway had a fit of course and demanded that that crew stopped doing it. In that 2 part episode she even tried to tell Chakotay if he went against her again she'd have him removed. I was hoping for a Denzel Crimson Tide moment. Were he placed her under arrest and tossed in the brig
Not only the alien-enhanced engines, they found a shortcut with a wormhole which got them a big jump. From what I remember, the Equinox had an even more difficult time than Voyager, being as limited of a vessel as it was. It didn't even have a holodeck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Without Dilithium crystals and replicator technology, the Federation utopia cannot exist.

So.

As soon as the Marxists develop inexhaustible energy, and a means to turn that energy into food, machines and other physical items...their theories and ideas are worthless.

Let me know when we are there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The USSR allowed the peasant natives in Siberia to possess firearms too. Since some Siberian Snowman deep in the Taiga with a rusty Mosin ain't much of a threat to Moscow and the Politburo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quark could carry there because it was outside of UFP territory and probably because he slipped some Gold Pressed Latinum to the Bajorans.
On TNG its shown that colonists can have personal military grade weaponry.

They mostly seem to allow this because Star Fleet Command never protects colonies and they routinely get attacked.
The USSR allowed the peasant natives in Siberia to possess firearms too. Since some Siberian Snowman deep in the Taiga with a rusty Mosin ain't much of a threat to Moscow and the Politburo.
And a Mosin constituted better firearms design than those stupid phaser rifles. No trigger guard, no sights, poor ergos,  no stock. Rate of fire is somewhat lame too. You’re more likely to shoot your self with it than the enemy.

The first time we saw a reasonably designed personal weapon in ST was first contact. Those rifles had stocks, holographic sights, trigger guards, and generally appeared to have been designed so that a bipedal humanoid could use it.

Only took 200 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Federation is not a command economy. You're free to do whatever you want. Not communism, though we don't have a real world example of a post scarcity economy.
View Quote
There’s no such thing as a “post scarcity” economy.

The UFP wouldn’t be Communist, they’d be something far more disturbing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Power armor is neat, but far less useful in a world with force fields and beaming technology.
View Quote
It’s not just useful, it’s a good idea. Small arms struggle against force fields. Small arms powered by your armor’s fusion reactor won’t suffer such issues.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Give me a ZPM, a P90, and a few Stargate Addresses and I can change the course of the Galaxy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Much like the Wünder Athletes of the DDR and the PRC. He was pumped full of hormones, surgically altered, and once he was no longer useful. Cast aside into a transporter buffer pattern and deleted.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Much like the Wünder Athletes of the DDR and the PRC. He was pumped full of hormones, surgically altered, and once he was no longer useful. Cast aside into a transporter buffer pattern and deleted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In this current picture......I wonder which one he is?

Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The UFP in Star Trek from start to finish are Authoritarian Space Marxists. Private ownership of property is verboten except for trinkets. No private space craft, businesses, asteroid mining operations, moons, colonies, etc. All communication is monitored and controlled by the UFP. The Civilian and Military are indistinguishable from each other. Starfleet and the UFP are one in the same. No currency or income. People "work to better themselves".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx5I7uEEEYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rh3xPatEto

Earth is like Pyongyang. Only the Party Elite are allowed to live there. The dregs and vagabonds of the UFP are sent to space gulags... err.... new colonies by the UFP. There is no counterculture, no rebellious youth. The people are uniformed and strikingly similar. It is as if there is a Space Stasi monitoring them and everyone is ratting everyone else out to them.
View Quote
That's one of the reasons DS9 is my favorite trek.  Backhanded comments like Nog's about the federation.  If you don't need money then you certainly don't need mine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not only the alien-enhanced engines, they found a shortcut with a wormhole which got them a big jump. From what I remember, the Equinox had an even more difficult time than Voyager, being as limited of a vessel as it was. It didn't even have a holodeck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching Voyager as we speak.
She should've been over thrown and beamed into space
One thing I have always wondered about the Voyager series was: how much their journey home would have been different if they had a different/bigger class of starship. The Intrepid-class seemed rather small, limited resources, and perpetually under-gunned compared to some of the threats they faced, being that it was just a frigate.

Say it had been a Galaxy-class for instance that had gotten flung into the Delta Quadrant. They would have had a far larger crew, so some of the manpower shortages would have been less of an issue. Then there is the fact that it would have far more firepower and stronger shields. It could have bitch-slapped Kazon, Vidiians, Malon, and Hirogen where Voyager often got overpowered or driven away. Then there is the infrastructure of a Galaxy class. Multiple transporter rooms, cargo transporters, tons of cargo bays, shuttle bays, several sickbays and more than one Doctor on staff so you would not have been stuck with just the EMH. When they would come across some valuable resources, they had the space to really store a good supply of resources so they could have much longer legs before needing to replenish dilithium, deuterium, antimatter, and basic materials to feed the replicators.

Not to say the Galaxy class didn't have flaws in wasteful uses of some space and resources. Arboretums, dolphin tanks, and other excessive opulence. Or it may have been just the Ent-D that was particularly luxurious and that other Galaxy class ships were laid out more efficiently.
Yeah they said they used a worm hole but that also could've just been an excuse for the alien killings
Yup no holodeck, they made some nuero device if I remember correctly. I know the captain used it before he got blown up
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Well... If that's true Communism, I'll buy a ticket right now.
I would love to live in that alternative universe. Hell I'd give damn near anything for it.

The betterment of Humanity, exploration, enlightenment, these are all greater than any one thing we have today, including our "right" to bare arms.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would love to live in that alternative universe. Hell I'd give damn near anything for it.

The betterment of Humanity, exploration, enlightenment, these are all greater than any one thing we have today, including our "right" to bare arms.
View Quote
I'm impressed. Almost every single word in your post is wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Must be a Goa'uld. Nothing else explains it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I’d vote for AOC it it got me unlimited holodeck time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd vote for AOC it it got me unlimited holodeck time.
View Quote
Unlimited holodeck time it is. . . In a 1939 Gulag in Soviet Siberia.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Without Dilithium crystals and replicator technology, the Federation utopia cannot exist.

So.

As soon as the Marxists develop inexhaustible energy, and a means to turn that energy into food, machines and other physical items...their theories and ideas are worthless.

Let me know when we are there.
View Quote
In your lifetime you're going to see cheap plastic as well as 3D printers that will use worthless material to make whatever you can design.

Remember the 3D printed 1911? Used about $4 worth of materials to manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd vote for AOC it it got me unlimited holodeck time.
A gulag isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Romulan here. lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Give me a ZPM, a P90, and a few Stargate Addresses and I can change the course of the Galaxy.
View Quote
Just one galaxy? Slacker.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah they said they used a worm hole but that also could've just been an excuse for the alien killings
Yup no holodeck, they made some nuero device if I remember correctly. I know the captain used it before he got blown up
View Quote
Screw being stuck on a dinky ass ship like that for years. At least a Galaxy-class has 16 holodecks. Though I'm sure at any given time one is down for maintenance having all of the spooge power-washed off the floors, walls and ceiling. Also one is actively malfunctioning at any given time with non-functioning safety protocols killing its occupants, and one has a self-aware hologram attempting to take control of the ship.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, the ZPM can either power amazing tech, be a bomb, or the gate for a one way trip to another Galaxy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Federation is not a command economy. You're free to do whatever you want. Not communism, though we don't have a real world example of a post scarcity economy.
View Quote
If you have magic atom manipulators, that transform matter into anything you want, from a cup with Earl Grey tea in it, to any food item you want, or anything else for that matter you are certainly post scarcity.  A technology that's so advanced it can copy an individual human down to an exact neural maps of memory, and personality, transmit that information and then reconstruct an exact copy, you are most certainly "post scarcity".

Human labor inputs would be minimal.  In reality they wouldn't be there at all.  It's a little silly that humans do as much as they do in the Star Trek universe, except that for some strange reason while they can copy people, they can't seem to replicate machines like Commander Data.  There A.I. seems to have hit some limit as well.  They can build warp drives, and atom manipulators, but they still haven't perfected the ability to create artificial general intellegence.  The technology to make Data seems hard to them.

It's a mishmash universe, that doesn't really make a lot of sense. ...but it's not communist, or capitalist.  It's a post scarcity society ....but only sort of.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Discovery season 2 is pretty dang good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadly everything you knew about TOS, TNG, DS9, VGR, ect was thrown out of airlock because of Discovery and legal bullshit between CBS and Paramount  
Discovery season 2 is pretty dang good.
Captain Pike saves it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They can do AI, the second season of Discovery covers why they don't in TOS and later series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they can't seem to replicate machines like Commander Data.  There A.I. seems to have hit some limit as well.  They can build warp drives, and atom manipulators, but they still haven't perfected the ability to create artificial general intellegence.  The technology to make Data seems hard to them.

They can do AI, the second season of Discovery covers why they don't in TOS and later series.
And Klingons didn't have Cloaks in TOS until after the Romulan trading sharing alliance.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top