BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So Porsche with all its up-charging and no economy of scale can put out a 60k Cayman and Honda, using tweaked mass produced items can't get the cost to 50k? I find that unlikely. Aluminum suspension components aren't some voodoo. Composites are cheap.

Shit call it a S3000, make it MR and keep your overpriced NSX.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference between "sports cars" and "muscle cars" meant more when muscle cars couldn't go around corners and most sports cars were a reasonable weight.

The Challenger still fits the stereotype of the big muscle car that is powerful, fast in a straight line, and handles like a boat. The Miata and BRZ/86 fit the old mold of a lightweight sports car with minimal compromises made in the name of balance and handling. Everything else is in a muddy middle ground.

The new Z4 the Supra is based on is 3,097–3,384 lb. The 370Z is 3,232 lb. The 2-series is 3,119.5–3,560.5 lb. The C7 is 3,347-3,560 lb. The current Mustang and Camaro are not far out of that ballpark, and their chassis actually deliver when cornering. Back in 2011, Motor Trend did a comparison between the BMW M3 and the Mustang GT with the sub-caption "No, we're not kidding." This was the previous generation Mustang with a live axle, and the two cars were neck and neck around their track. LINK The jump between the 5th and 6th gen Mustang was huge, and the new car has IRS, a better chassis, and an improved drivetrain. The full spectrum performance of a regular ass Mustang GT with a couple of options boxes checked is hard to beat by any kind of meaningful margin without spending some insane money, and the Camaro is right there with it.

That doesn't leave much of a hole. I agree with everyone asking for a MR2. That would be awesome if done correctly. An updated S2000 with razor sharp handling and a free revving engine would also be pretty cool, especially if there was a hard top option. That could capture a lot of people who don't want a Miata's stereotypes or the less than stellar FA20 in the 86/BRZ. But a $50k NSX? I don't think that idea is grounded in reality. The original NSX was $60k in 1991 ($111k today after inflation). Even if Honda turbocharged a standard J-series V6 and put it in a basic MR chassis, I'm pretty sure the costs all in would put the unit price well over $50k, and it would still get killed by the Cayman.
So Porsche with all its up-charging and no economy of scale can put out a 60k Cayman and Honda, using tweaked mass produced items can't get the cost to 50k? I find that unlikely. Aluminum suspension components aren't some voodoo. Composites are cheap.

Shit call it a S3000, make it MR and keep your overpriced NSX.
The up charging and fat margins are what makes Porsche viable. People will pay hundreds of dollars for a paint stripe or for strap door handles because it’s a Porsche. Honda can’t get away with that.

I’m also not sure how many of the components Honda has on hand would work in such a vehicle. The redneck/Roadkill thing to do would be to drop a FF drivetrain in the back of a car, but I’m not thinking that’s the right answer. I also don’t know if any of Honda’s existing engines would be suitable for that kind of application.

By the time they develop a drivetrain, chassis, and body, add whatever interior bits are missing, and put it into low volume production... the price point is going to be hard to hit.

ETA: For perspective, the Civic Type R is $35k.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The difference between "sports cars" and "muscle cars" meant more when muscle cars couldn't go around corners and most sports cars were a reasonable weight.

The Challenger still fits the stereotype of the big muscle car that is powerful, fast in a straight line, and handles like a boat. The Miata and BRZ/86 fit the old mold of a lightweight sports car with minimal compromises made in the name of balance and handling. Everything else is in a muddy middle ground.

The new Z4 the Supra is based on is 3,097–3,384 lb. The 370Z is 3,232 lb. The 2-series is 3,119.5–3,560.5 lb. The C7 is 3,347-3,560 lb. The current Mustang and Camaro are not far out of that ballpark, and their chassis actually deliver when cornering. Back in 2011, Motor Trend did a comparison between the BMW M3 and the Mustang GT with the sub-caption "No, we're not kidding." This was the previous generation Mustang with a live axle, and the two cars were neck and neck around their track. LINK The jump between the 5th and 6th gen Mustang was huge, and the new car has IRS, a better chassis, and an improved drivetrain. The full spectrum performance of a regular ass Mustang GT with a couple of options boxes checked is hard to beat by any kind of meaningful margin without spending some insane money, and the Camaro is right there with it.

That doesn't leave much of a hole. I agree with everyone asking for a MR2. That would be awesome if done correctly. An updated S2000 with razor sharp handling and a free revving engine would also be pretty cool, especially if there was a hard top option. That could capture a lot of people who don't want a Miata's stereotypes or the less than stellar FA20 in the 86/BRZ. But a $50k NSX? I don't think that idea is grounded in reality. The original NSX was $60k in 1991 ($111k today after inflation). Even if Honda turbocharged a standard J-series V6 and put it in a basic MR chassis, I'm pretty sure the costs all in would put the unit price well over $50k, and it would still get killed by the Cayman.
View Quote
The 2018 Mustang GT with PP is 3860#'s while the equally chubby Camaro 1ss is 3746#'s.  Cars just keep getting heavier and heavier with safety, emissions and comfort features - the pricing on the Camaro is becoming outrageous though.   Even a manual 1ss camaro with no options is $39,000.  Add in the 1LE and that bumps it up to $46,000.  You can get into a 1LT Vette for $56,000.  Definitely need to find away to strengthen the dollar!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
In its defense, the current Challenger is a muscle car in the American sense of a muscle car that can still handle VERY well...when compared to past "muscle cars".

Yes, it is heavy, but it is LIGHT years beyond past American mass produced HP monsters in regards to handling.

Que the handling snobs...
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The up charging and fat margins are what makes Porsche viable. People will pay hundreds of dollars for a paint stripe or for strap door handles because it’s a Porsche. Honda can’t get away with that.

I’m also not sure how many of the components Honda has on hand would work in such a vehicle. The redneck/Roadkill thing to do would be to drop a FF drivetrain in the back of a car, but I’m not thinking that’s the right answer. I also don’t know if any of Honda’s existing engines would be suitable for that kind of application.

By the time they develop a drivetrain, chassis, and body, add whatever interior bits are missing, and put it into low volume production... the price point is going to be hard to hit.

View Quote
Yeah and the civic R is retarded for 35k. It's a civic.

Acura has a 290hp V6 that can be massaged to 310 easily. Or share the Civic R engine. Slap that into a MR chassis using some existing suspension with Brembos on all 4 corners. Acura makes enough high end stuff to mean the bezel and console will look nice. If course this means that Acura may need to remember what a manual transmission is.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bet the Toyota techs are just going to love having to work on a BMW.
View Quote
i think the current german engines were designed by ex patek phillipe grand complication watch makers...

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i think the current german engines were designed by ex patek phillipe grand complication watch makers...

https://www.excelerateperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/Timing-Chain.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorta off topic: I remember in a car magazine a while back they showed a size comparison between a BMW twin turbo 4.4L and a GM 6.2 smallblock. The BMW engine is about 30% larger dimensionally than the smallblock
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorta off topic: I remember in a car magazine a while back they showed a size comparison between a BMW twin turbo 4.4L and a GM 6.2 smallblock. The BMW engine is about 30% larger dimensionally than the smallblock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And has lots of extra failure points.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Type R is nearly perfect, and thr price is appropriate.  The “market adjuatment” many dealers are doing is dumb though.

That car has three flaws IMO, two can be fixed.

1. Only two seats in the rear, bench could be swapped out for an SI one - $700ish

2. 20 inch wheels, that’s gotta suck on city streets, wheels are available

3. Electronic parking brake.  Wtf is this crap?  I see Mazda does those now too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GD won't buy it because it doesn't have vinyl floors or crank windows.
View Quote
Or a turbo diesel
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
no big deal... I've changed a couplea timing chains on small block Chevys..
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know if the question is whether or not it's going to be a good track car.

My questions are:

1) Who asked for a BMW in Toyota skin?

2) Why would anyone who has a BMW budget, BMW tastes, or a BMW tolerance for maintenance needs buy this "Supra" over a M2/M4?
View Quote
1: no one did specifically, but people have been asking for a new Supra for ages. This is how we are getting said new Supra. Had they not partnered with BMW we would have likely never seen it again, like every other Japanese brand thats dumping anything remotely performance oriented. This isn’t something new either, as you especially rave about the 86 everywhere which is just a Subaru with a Toyota badge. No one asked for that either when that was released and look how much of a hit that’s been with people who actually drive cars.

2: Well, this will have true 50/50 weight distribution for one and reportedly lower center of gravity. Also, some people are rabid Toyota fans and would buy anything they sell. Toyota will absolutely sell every one of these, and I bet every single Toyota fanboy here will rave about them for years to come, even when comparing them to their BMW brothers.

FWIW it will probably be even easier for you to get the BMW over the Toyota one, first orders of the Supra opened up with only 300 slots and that didn’t last very long.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Except for you know.....for me, driving is about fun.  I'm not a race driver and never will be.  I like fun cars because they are fun.  Shifting is part of that fun.

The whole reason to buy a Supra is to get Toyota/Japanese parts, not a Supra looking body with German motor/transmission.  Sure, the transmission may be awesome (but boring), but it also has German maint. costs/oddities to contend with.

If I wanted a German/BMW, I'd just get a damn BMW.
View Quote
Working my paddle shifters is plenty of fun...
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1: no one did specifically, but people have been asking for a new Supra for ages. This is how we are getting said new Supra. Had they not partnered with BMW we would have likely never seen it again, like every other Japanese brand thats dumping anything remotely performance oriented. This isn’t something new either, as you especially rave about the 86 everywhere which is just a Subaru with a Toyota badge. No one asked for that either when that was released and look how much of a hit that’s been with people who actually drive cars.

2: Well, this will have true 50/50 weight distribution for one and reportedly lower center of gravity. Also, some people are rabid Toyota fans and would buy anything they sell. Toyota will absolutely sell every one of these, and I bet every single Toyota fanboy here will rave about them for years to come, even when comparing them to their BMW brothers.

FWIW it will probably be even easier for you to get the BMW over the Toyota one, first orders of the Supra opened up with only 300 slots and that didn’t last very long.
View Quote
That remains to be seen. Again, the Suburu collaboration was/is a failure. The twins sells are circling the drain, let’s face it Toyota/Honda/Kia/etc are commuting appliances. I for one don’t think the Japanese can design/build a successful performance-oriented car the average buyer can afford. Sure you have the LFA, the Lexus LC, etc but honestly at the price-point of those vehicles, they can’t compete with the Mustang/Camaro and Charger to a lesser degree. The Miata is the out-liner but has a cult following and hard-core Motorsport following.

Teaming up with BMW is a smart move however the execution is the question. Re-skinning a Z4 will not work IMO.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Acura has a 290hp V6 that can be massaged to 310 easily. Or share the Civic R engine. Slap that into a MR chassis using some existing suspension with Brembos on all 4 corners. Acura makes enough high end stuff to mean the bezel and console will look nice. If course this means that Acura may need to remember what a manual transmission is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No chassis in inventory means no slapping.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No chassis in inventory means no slapping.
View Quote
Ok. Developed an MR chassis.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BMW wanted EVERY dealership to buy the special tool kit to service the supra. .. each kit cost $80k ... you need a special tool to replace the wipers ...
Most dealers here said F no...
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I have nothing against BMW per se, My dad loved them and had 3 or 4 740 series cars over the years.  But they were always a maintenance nightmare (mostly electronics) and didn't hold value very well as they aged.  So when I saw that Toyota chose BMW to build the motor for the "new" Supra (it has been in development forever) I immediately said no thanks.

I'll hang on to my 94 MKIV with it's 2JZGTE and keep enjoying it.  It's a great car and isn't too hard to take care of. Parts can be difficult to find now but you still can.  Lot's of fun and is worth more than I paid for it even now after so long together.

Most of the Supra fans like me feel the same way I suspect.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:15:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The 2018 Mustang GT with PP is 3860#'s while the equally chubby Camaro 1ss is 3746#'s.  Cars just keep getting heavier and heavier with safety, emissions and comfort features - the pricing on the Camaro is becoming outrageous though.   Even a manual 1ss camaro with no options is $39,000.  Add in the 1LE and that bumps it up to $46,000.  You can get into a 1LT Vette for $56,000.  Definitely need to find away to strengthen the dollar!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need to lecture me on automotive obesity. My weekend car is a Miata, and my idea of the ultimate sports car is something like a Caterham.

My threshold of happiness is ~3,000 pounds. Anything with correct wheel drive and a curb weight below 3,000 pounds is something I want to drive at least once. Anything above that is in the "everything else" category for me. I don't think of cars over 3k as "bad," but more...  compromised. Cars in that weight range are easier to live with for sure, and the older and more boring I get, the more I like the idea of the comfort they offer, but for driving enjoyment, I like cars distilled to their pure basics as much as possible. I can't afford a Lotus, Caterham, or Ariel Atom, so Miata it is.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if the question is whether or not it's going to be a good track car.

My questions are:

1) Who asked for a BMW in Toyota skin?

2) Why would anyone who has a BMW budget, BMW tastes, or a BMW tolerance for maintenance needs buy this "Supra" over a M2/M4?

I don't think you're familiar with the history of the 86/BRZ.

Toyota owns a chunk of Subaru's parent company, and the partnership to build the 86/BRZ was born out of that transaction. The concept to build such a vehicle started before that even happened. Toyota is responsible for most of the design of the car. Subaru initially refused to build a RWD vehicle. It is also said that Subaru wanted to go turbocharged while it was Toyota's decision to keep it basic and NA. Subaru did handle much of the hard engineering, but they use Toyota's D-4S intake/fuel injection system on both the 86 and BRZ. That car is a legit collaboration between companies with a direct connection.

The M2/M4 have a confirmed 52:48 weight distribution. That's pretty good, and it's likely within the margins of a tank of gas and/or a little cargo. Or a Mc'Merican in the driver's seat. The Supra has an advantage over the Z4 for anyone wanting a hard top, but until actual details come out, it's going to be hard to believe there will be any meaningful reason to buy the Supra over a M2/M4.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Who would want to have a 8 speed manual?

Shifting that would get old real quick.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BMW wanted EVERY dealership to buy the special tool kit to service the supra. .. each kit cost $80k ... you need a special tool to replace the wipers ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would BMW dealerships be servicing the Supra?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You don't need to lecture me on automotive obesity. My weekend car is a Miata, and my idea of the ultimate sports car is something like a Caterham.

https://img.autoplus.fr/picture/caterham/seven-355/1506711/Caterham_Seven_355_2016_b67e7-1200-800.jpg

My threshold of happiness is ~3,000 pounds. Anything with correct wheel drive and a curb weight below 3,000 pounds is something I want to drive at least once. Anything above that is in the "everything else" category for me. I don't think of cars over 3k as "bad," but more...  compromised. Cars in that weight range are easier to live with for sure, and the older and more boring I get, the more I like the idea of the comfort they offer, but for driving enjoyment, I like cars distilled to their pure basics as much as possible. I can't afford a Lotus, Caterham, or Ariel Atom, so Miata it is.
View Quote
I wonder is the Supra will get closer to the 3000# weight than the BMW counterpart as it will likely be finished in lower quality materials and have less standard features/options?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OK no
View Quote
The old twin turbo supra had an starting msrp of around $40k in 1998 (Toyota actually dropped the msrp from like 1996 where it was around $50k). That's $63k in 2018 after inflation.

Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Type R is nearly perfect, and thr price is appropriate.  The “market adjuatment” many dealers are doing is dumb though.

1. Only two seats in the rear, bench could be swapped out for an SI one - $700ish

3. Electronic parking brake.  Wtf is this crap?  I see Mazda does those now too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fixed all that shit except the parking brake. I don't mind it because I don't use the PB on track. On the street it works fine EXCEPT when it comes time to swap pads. The rear brakes almost always throw codes on the car when you drive back the parking brake to replace the pads. It's a pain.

Other than that, I think the CTR is THE best bang for your buck track car there is right now. I regularly beat cars that are WAY more expensive around the track. Granted mine is modded and has 100 more whp than stock. But you'd be surprised the cars I destroy on track. Just this last thursday I ran down and passed an 800whp Nissan GTR. But, he was a pretty slow driver honestly.

The CTR is just so damn capable. Would you ever expect a honda civic to hold a SUSTAINED 1g turn in the rain? It's nuts. For reference this lap is in the wet and I'm still running 1:43 (faster than many many people in the dry). Hanging the last turn (T16) at 100mph in the rain, at sustained .8G. In the dry I hang that turn at around 120mph at 1.4g sustained.

Even in the wet this car is a beast. This is my last session of the day on dead tires, actively raining, and slipping all over the place. It was magical. I was honestly only driving the car at about 85% on this lap too. Any more and I got massive wheel spin when boost came on. I just so happened to catch enough grip in the wet lines to turn a pretty damn fast wet lap.

Back to the point, the CTR is a beast on track. Especially with the mods I've done.

1:43 Wet Lap at Atlanta Motorsports Park AMP Civic Type R
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Kenworth W900L - 3 Stick Shifting
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cars the civic type R has beat around the Ring:

BMW M3 GTS
Corvette ZO6 C6
Ferrari 599
Porsche 911 GT3 RS (996)
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

I'd say it's a little more than "just a civic."
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Nobody wanted to do that. It was all they had.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's a newer truck the dude triple-sticked.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Toyota owns a chunk of Subaru's parent company, and the partnership to build the 86/BRZ was born out of that transaction. The concept to build such a vehicle started before that even happened. Toyota is responsible for most of the design of the car. Subaru initially refused to build a RWD vehicle. It is also said that Subaru wanted to go turbocharged while it was Toyota's decision to keep it basic and NA. Subaru did handle much of the hard engineering, but they use Toyota's D-4S intake/fuel injection system on both the 86 and BRZ. That car is a legit collaboration between companies with a direct connection.

The M2/M4 have a confirmed 52:48 weight distribution. That's pretty good, and it's likely within the margins of a tank of gas and/or a little cargo. Or a Mc'Merican in the driver's seat. The Supra has an advantage over the Z4 for anyone wanting a hard top, but until actual details come out, it's going to be hard to believe there will be any meaningful reason to buy the Supra over a M2/M4.
View Quote
And so how is that any different than what BMW and Toyota are doing, except for the fact that Toyota hasn't thrown money into BMW shares? You don't like it because Toyota hasn't fucked with the engine? BMW and Toyota have already stated that they are doing damn near their own things with each of their versions. It's certainly not a rebadged Z4. Same engine and same factory, but hardly the same car.

It may not be any reason for you to buy the Toyota, but you are already set on not liking it in the first place. There is not going to be any meaningful reason to buy the car when you have that much bias stacked up against it. The primary reasons: It's a new Supra and will sell on the name alone, it's looking to be a pretty competitive car with impressive specifications, and so far looks like it will be relatively limited and exclusive. They will sell and I'm guessing it will be like every other special car these days with large amounts of ADM tacked on. I will agree with your point that it will just be easier (and likely cheaper) to buy the BMW if you are just looking for something similar, or why not a Mustang or Camaro for even cheaper?

This just reeks of the usual arfcom shenanigans of old people finding reasons to complain about something to each other over something they had no interest in buying in the first place much like every other truck, car, and motorcycle thread around here.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's a newer truck the dude triple-sticked.
View Quote
Then that is real retarded Sir,

Our military had autos in heavy trucks over 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The old twin turbo supra had an starting msrp of around $40k in 1998 (Toyota actually dropped the msrp from like 1996 where it was around $50k). That's $63k in 2018 after inflation.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/dd6b9d90eb85a6aaa3ad680960ffccc1/tenor.gif?itemid=7166145
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK no

https://media1.tenor.com/images/dd6b9d90eb85a6aaa3ad680960ffccc1/tenor.gif?itemid=7166145
And they dropped the price (and ultimately ceased US sales) because they didn't sell very well.
People forget how slow moving sales wise these cars that people now lust after really were.
Chevy probably sold more corvettes in one year then the entire model run of that generation Supra.

Probably part of the reason they are now so desirable (scarcity).
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can't tell if serious

7 speeds exist, but no 8 speeds.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can't tell if serious

7 speeds exist, but no 8 speeds.
View Quote
You are missing the point,
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Cars the civic type R has beat around the Ring:

BMW M3 GTS
Corvette ZO6 C6
Ferrari 599
Porsche 911 GT3 RS (996)
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

I'd say it's a little more than "just a civic."
View Quote
I wanted to love the new CTR as a long time Honda fanboy being born in the 80's and I still own a DC2 Integra.

I'm just a trackday warrior when it comes to 4 wheels, but I got to take a few laps in a CTR and I wasn't to impressed compared to my  EVO X.

My X was already sold when I drove the CTR but both cars had similar mods and mostly stock, the CTR didn't rotate as nearly as well(Could have played with the alignment more and fixed it possibly). Both me and my buddy were running quicker times in my old X compared to his new CTR.

The new Civic did make a much better DD and the interiors are not even comparable, the Honda was much nicer.

We'll see I'm ready to jump back in the market for a 35-45k car for DD'ing and weekend track use and I'm hoping with some refinements that the Honda will be even better. Please bring back a new DC2 Integra with an updated powertrain.. thanks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And they dropped the price (and ultimately ceased US sales) because they didn't sell very well.
People forget how slow moving sales wise these cars that people now lust after really were.
Chevy probably sold more corvettes in one year then the entire model run of that generation Supra.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK no

Not true, the insurance premiums were the killer,
they lowered the price BC the same year corvette was over $10K cheaper..
It wasn't free tho.. 4 channel ABS became 2 channel, leather trim interior was replaced with synthetic materials, the two piece seats were swapped for non movable headrests versions, a few other minor stuff, but this makes the early MKIV's the most desirable.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wanted to love the new CTR as a long time Honda fanboy being born in the 80's and I still own a DC2 Integra.

I'm just a trackday warrior when it comes to 4 wheels, but I got to take a few laps in a CTR and I wasn't to impressed compared to my  EVO X.

My X was already sold when I drove the CTR but both cars had similar mods and mostly stock, the CTR didn't rotate as nearly as well(Could have played with the alignment more and fixed it possibly). Both me and my buddy were running quicker times in my old X compared to his new CTR.

The new Civic did make a much better DD and the interiors are not even comparable, the Honda was much nicer.

We'll see I'm ready to jump back in the market for a 35-45k car for DD'ing and weekend track use and I'm hoping with some refinements that the Honda will be even better. Please bring back a new DC2 Integra with an updated powertrain.. thanks.
View Quote
A slight bit of camber and a rear sway and my CTR rotates almost too much. It didn't rotate a huge amount stock, but it sure does now.

Some of that is in the torque vectoring and stabilization. You can turn it half off, or completely off. Turning it even halfway off lets the car rotate a good bit even stock.

Now with camber and a sway bar it rotates really easily. I love the way I can flick it into a turn and power out of it. The car will rotate, rear end steps out, after the apex I'm matted and it just comes back to center on its own. Love it.

These are the stock tires after the very first track day with the CTR. Car was totally stock at that time. It'll slide stock, you just have to drive it hard enough.  Look at all that rubber being pushed to the outside of the tire. That's all from the rear end sliding around turn 4 at AMP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#37]
People asking for a modern day $50k range NSX.

Meet the Lotus Evora.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And so how is that any different than what BMW and Toyota are doing, except for the fact that Toyota hasn't thrown money into BMW shares? You don't like it because Toyota hasn't fucked with the engine? BMW and Toyota have already stated that they are doing damn near their own things with each of their versions. It's certainly not a rebadged Z4. Same engine and same factory, but hardly the same car.

It may not be any reason for you to buy the Toyota, but you are already set on not liking it in the first place. There is not going to be any meaningful reason to buy the car when you have that much bias stacked up against it. The primary reasons: It's a new Supra and will sell on the name alone, it's looking to be a pretty competitive car with impressive specifications, and so far looks like it will be relatively limited and exclusive. They will sell and I'm guessing it will be like every other special car these days with large amounts of ADM tacked on. I will agree with your point that it will just be easier (and likely cheaper) to buy the BMW if you are just looking for something similar, or why not a Mustang or Camaro for even cheaper?

This just reeks of the usual arfcom shenanigans of old people finding reasons to complain about something to each other over something they had no interest in buying in the first place much like every other truck, car, and motorcycle thread around here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess we’ll see how much Toyota actually does with it, but I obviously don’t have high expectations. Maybe they’ll have Toyota ECUs and D-4S, but I’m not betting on it.

The FA20 isn’t exactly the best engine in the world, but it’s well supported within the JDM community. German cars, on the other hand, are notorious for high maintenance needs and reliability/longevity issues, and they’re not the easiest things in the world to work on or source parts for. (Exhibit A: that Audi turd posted earlier in this thread.) Maybe the factory, aftermarket, and enthusiast community does a good job at meeting in the middle and collaborating to support this car, but I think there’s at least an equal if not greater chance it ends up as some kind of orphan because there won’t be enough cars to justify the headache.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#39]
So it's a Toyota M8.

Meh.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Meet the Lotus Evora.
View Quote
Have you ever been around an actual Lotus?

They are quite possibly the most poorly built cars I have ever seen. As in every single one of them. They have glaring issues that you wouldn't tolerate on a 10k car, much less a higher end niche sports car.

They are trash. I love them for what they are, but they are absolutely built like garbage.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A slight bit of camber and a rear sway and my CTR rotates almost too much. It didn't rotate a huge amount stock, but it sure does now.

Some of that is in the torque vectoring and stabilization. You can turn it half off, or completely off. Turning it even halfway off lets the car rotate a good bit even stock.

Now with camber and a sway bar it rotates really easily. I love the way I can flick it into a turn and power out of it. The car will rotate, rear end steps out, after the apex I'm matted and it just comes back to center on its own. Love it.

These are the stock tires after the very first track day with the CTR. Car was totally stock at that time. It'll slide stock, you just have to drive it hard enough.  Look at all that rubber being pushed to the outside of the tire. That's all from the rear end sliding around turn 4 at AMP.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253540/IMG_7238__1__jpg-730321.JPG
View Quote
Good stuff.

I've read rumors that Honda is considering an AWD CTR option and a little more stock power. Going to to try and wait a year... doubt i'll make it.

Mitsu is out of the game and the current gen STI's would be a downgrade from my Evo X... not much left in the price range.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Good stuff.

I've read rumors that Honda is considering an AWD CTR option and a little more stock power. Going to to try and wait a year... doubt i'll make it.

Mitsu is out of the game and the current gen STI's would be a downgrade from my Evo X... not much left in the price range.
View Quote
I think it's coming for sure. When the car is up on the lift you can see a path that looks just right for a driveshaft, and a big bulge in the body in the rear that is perfectly in line with the rear wheels. Perfect for a rear diff.

Hopefully if that does come out us guys with the FWD version can retrofit the parts if we want to. Right now it's so capable it would be a hard no from me due to the added weight. That might change though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They are quite possibly the most poorly built cars I have ever seen. As in every single one of them. They have glaring issues that you wouldn't tolerate on a 10k car, much less a higher end niche sports car.

They are trash. I love them for what they are, but they are absolutely built like garbage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meet the Lotus Evora.

This. The NSX they are not. The 1991 NSX was a better built car than the current Lotus.

For a while they were using the same colored battery cables (both red iirc) because Lotus was really short on funding and they couldn't pay for more black cables, Honda motors would NEVER put their name on that level of fuckery.

I would say the closest thing to the NSX currently sold would be a Cayman.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top