Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh good, another study brought to you buy the scientists saying that gas stoves are killing your children. Huzzah!
View Quote

The worlds ending in 10 years if we don’t XYXPQ !

Saying that since 1970, ice caps still solid, ozone still there, still have winter and summer, cities have not flooded by rising seas, seas have not risen an inch, same as 100 years ago.

Now, climate OBVIOUSLY changes, it’s been changing a million years before the first human appeared, and will always be, humans are just not causing it, they also have no clue what “ normal “ climate change looks like. We have 100 years of temp readings, that’s worthless, maybe after we have been monitoring climate another ten thousand years scientifically, we might have a clue, but we damn sure don’t at this point.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Do they drink Flint water?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you read the study, the leading cause of Eagle death is automobiles, so we need to ban automobiles.

Lead is number three.

MUCC is worthless.

They don't want to ban lead ammunition, they want to ban all ammunition and guns.
View Quote

^^ The correct answer^^
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#4]
There are plenty of hunters and shooters out there on the scientific side of things that have studied and proved this to be a serious problem.

I switched to copper last year for my big game and it performed beautifully. I shot my whitetail with a Barnes 127 grain LRX and my bull with a Hornady 190 grain CX.  Both one shot kills. I actually prefer the terminal performance of the copper and they shot as well as any lead bullet I put through my rifles. After watching 3 195 grain Bergers explode into dust in my bull 2 years ago… I’m fucking done with lead. I don’t want to eat it and the fact the vitals won’t be filled with it when the scavengers consume it is a bonus.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can understand water soluble lead.  As in, paint chips, suppressor dip, etc.  What you all are saying (and believing) is that if I swallowed a one ounce lead egg sinker I would significantly increase my blood lead levels?  LO fuckin L.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was taught that it was not possible to absorb elemental lead from the GI tract.  Was I lied to?

Lead Colic
Lead Palsy
Lead Encephalophagy

That's what I remember being taught.

ALSO  The Romans used lead to sweeten wine.  Didn't help them much.

I can understand water soluble lead.  As in, paint chips, suppressor dip, etc.  What you all are saying (and believing) is that if I swallowed a one ounce lead egg sinker I would significantly increase my blood lead levels?  LO fuckin L.

The acidity in a raptors digestive system is way higher than ours. This shit isn’t just made up… it’s a real issue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bull shit has been claimed over and over and never proven
View Quote

You have absolutely no fucking clue what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bullshit.

There's no way there's enough randomly shot ammo killing animals due to ingesting lead.

If it's lead that's killing them it's from another source.
View Quote

This, it's activist BS to make shooting, hunting and owning guns cost prohibitive. They can't get them directly banned in the courts and legislature so they will try to get other agencies like enviromental or OSHA to regulate them to the degree it's cost prohibitive for the majority of us dirty Walmart shoppers.
Great Britain and Europe are dealing with this, but the activist have a stronger influence there. Shooting industry is dealing with this now over there (bird hunting in US). They commonly sell excess birds from estate hunts to the food industry for human consumption,  so go to a nice London restaurant and order pheasant or grouse,  that's probably where it came from. However they can't do this if the bird was shot with lead shot, they must use steel or other "non toxic" shot.
Also competitive shooters, be that any discipline, ya give that up now if you have to move to non lead ammo.$$$

They even want to bad lead air rifle pellets in GB and Europe, which would destroy an olympic sport in the effected countries or force them to train in a country where they are not banned making it cost prohibitive.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Industrially? It's refined from dead eagles.
View Quote

"Leadville"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They're claiming bullet fragments are taken in from gut piles. How come the coyotes, possums and other critters haven't died en masse? They probably eat ten times or more gut piles than the eagles do.
View Quote

It has to do with the acidity in a raptors digestive system.  Other scavengers do end up with high lead blood levels but it’s far worse for birds.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are plenty of hunters and shooters out there on the scientific side of things that have studied and proved this to be a serious problem.

I switched to copper last year for my big game and it performed beautifully. I shot my whitetail with a Barnes 127 grain LRX and my bull with a Hornady 190 grain CX.  Both one shot kills. I actually prefer the terminal performance of the copper and they shot as well as any lead bullet I put through my rifles. After watching 3 195 grain Bergers explode into dust in my bull 2 years ago… I’m fucking done with lead. I don’t want to eat it and the fact the vitals won’t be filled with it when the scavengers consume it is a bonus.

View Quote

That’s great, but this isn’t about lead.  You planning on buying solid copper .22 ammo, pistol ammo, ar15 ammo, copper slugs, etc ? Because this is going to ban all lead in all ammunition, not just the 10 rds of hunting ammo you shoot a year.  That’s their goal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck you, hippies.

Assault casters fo everyone.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've seen a shit ton of Bald Eagles and Raptors in my day.
never once have I seen them at a Gut Pile.

but I've seen Crows standing on top of each other on Gut Piles.
yet Crows are never talked about in the topic of lead issues or those godaweful Black Vultures we have now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're claiming bullet fragments are taken in from gut piles. How come the coyotes, possums and other critters haven't died en masse? They probably eat ten times or more gut piles than the eagles do.

I've seen a shit ton of Bald Eagles and Raptors in my day.
never once have I seen them at a Gut Pile.

but I've seen Crows standing on top of each other on Gut Piles.
yet Crows are never talked about in the topic of lead issues or those godaweful Black Vultures we have now.

Well… i guide and hunt the entire season out here. It’s rare you don’t see eagles on gut piles here within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It has to do with the acidity in a raptors digestive system.  Other scavengers do end up with high lead blood levels but it’s far worse for birds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, the exploding raptor populations are proof lead contamination in meat is killing them off in massive numbers  ?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Be easier and cheaper to force hunters to remove bullets from gut piles, than force everyone to only shoot copper ammo. .
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That’s great, but this isn’t about lead.  You planning on buying solid copper .22 ammo, pistol ammo, ar15 ammo, copper slugs, etc ? Because this is going to ban all lead in all ammunition, not just the 10 rds of hunting ammo you shoot a year.  That’s their goal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t doubt that one bit that they see it as an opportunity to get a foot in the door… but that’s not going to stop me from using copper on my game. And lolz at your 10 rounds of hunting ammo a year… I shoot more copper in a month than 95% of members here shoot in lead a year. And more lead a year than they’ll shoot in a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So, the exploding raptor populations are proof lead contamination in meat is killing them off in massive numbers  ?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve never been impressed with your inability to reason.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a question, where does lead come from?
View Quote

Flint MI
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Michigan approved hunting shotgun  
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Are those bullets biodegradable?!?!?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Fly fishing has been pushed into the direction of "lead-free." I cannot have any lead weight in my flies in a National Park. Alternatives are "lead free" wire, brass or tungsten beads.

Solid copper bullets would get expensive very quickly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I thought migration of lead into soil and groundwater is trivial at shooting ranges, especially when liming the soil?
View Quote

It’s not trivial but yes the ph can be adjusted with lime application that would reduce the contamination of runoff from lead. There’s a lot more to it than that. Below is the EPA guidelines on shooting ranges. There’s lots of wording about shooting ranges being regulated under RCRA and CWA. Its just a matter of time until environmental policy coincides with shooting sports:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/epa_bmp.pdf
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#22]
That sucks.

In California even Rimfire has to be lead free for hunting.

Lead free ammo is crazy expensive and doesn’t shoot to same point of impact as lead ammo.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Make It so expensive people opt out
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don’t doubt that one bit that they see it as an opportunity to get a foot in the door… but that’s not going to stop me from using copper on my game. And lolz at your 10 rounds of hunting ammo a year… I shoot more copper in a month than 95% of members here shoot in lead a year. And more lead a year than they’ll shoot in a lifetime.
View Quote

Good for you. Most of us cannot afford that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

DDT was not killing birds. All the studies were intentionally flawed. Intentional fed the birds a catastrophically calcium poor diet to get the "shell thinning" results.

Derp factor 5.

Back to the grey bar with you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yeah, because the ban of DDT brought them back from the brink of extinction.

Lead shot bans for waterfowl has helped the health of the individual birds and the entire bird population over a similar timeframe.

I’m not too bothered by using non lead loads for hunting. Outside of dove hunting you don’t shoot enough to really make a difference on the higher marginal cost.

DDT was not killing birds. All the studies were intentionally flawed. Intentional fed the birds a catastrophically calcium poor diet to get the "shell thinning" results.

Derp factor 5.

Back to the grey bar with you!

I'm glad you said it, the ddt thing was a lie

I wonder how many Mi eagles are killed by those stupid windmill electricity generators?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#26]

I have been saving for years .......

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The acidity in a raptors digestive system is way higher than ours. This shit isn’t just made up… it’s a real issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was taught that it was not possible to absorb elemental lead from the GI tract.  Was I lied to?

Lead Colic
Lead Palsy
Lead Encephalophagy

That's what I remember being taught.

ALSO  The Romans used lead to sweeten wine.  Didn't help them much.

Bunch of horse malarky.  You post as though you have an agenda.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Don’t they burn timber for power in that shit hole state?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Isn't this the same state that the governor, or whoever, likes take up the ass, or something?
View Quote

I'll take that's not lead in her ass for $100  Alex
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shoot around 10,000 rounds a year.  None of them are lead free.  I'm curious what you are shooting that you shoot so much copper?

(And that doesn't count the .177 lead pellets I shoot...)
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^This post screams ‘John Burns’.  

Pretty sure that dude was from WY as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

^^^This post screams ‘John Burns’.  

Pretty sure that dude was from WY as well.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@BobRoberts
Please respond by either apologizing to the rest of us or explaining your response. The opposing side knows that this is simply a back handed route to cause trouble for the shooting sports. If you have something to add that we don't know, then I'd appreciate hearing it. If you don't, then most of us would appreciate you not cucking to the left.
View Quote

My opinion is my opinion, I attacked no one with any of my posts nor did I support any action that limits one ability under the RKBA. Hunting is a important part of our shared experience and America is blessed to have millions of shares public acres of pristine habitat, that is in much better shape because of the conservation efforts that so may a decrying than prior generations. I only advocate that now that we have have viable and reliable means to produce effective ammunition without heavy metals, we use them and leave the public lands in better condition than we found it, less some delicious critters I understand that many here don’t agree and that’s cool, but I will not apologize for it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No wonder you don't leave EE feedback, you're retarded.
View Quote

Dude, you didn’t leave any feedback on mine, does that make you similarly retarded? How does that logic work?

I’m sorry I didn’t, I buy a lot of items on here and sometimes miss posting in the thread so I can go back, to give feedback. I will do will add it to my stop being retarded checklist.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dude, you didn’t leave any feedback on mine, does that make you similarly retarded? How does that logic work?

I’m sorry I didn’t, I buy a lot of items on here and sometimes miss posting in the thread so I can go back, to give feedback. I will do will add it to my stop being retarded checklist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No wonder you don't leave EE feedback, you're retarded.

@BobRoberts, so feedback is only for sellers? Tell me about logic.

Edit: actually tell me more about what a great future all shooting activites have without lead.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've never understood how people can legit believe birds eat enough lead to be hurt from lead poisoning.
View Quote

I am over at the cast boolits forum for about 10 years now.

Long story short, sone dentist from Montana got a can of the donated deer venison from Michigan.

It is normally meant for the poor in Michigan.

Said Montana dentist gets this can of venison back to his office ….In Montana….opens it and X-rays.

Holy shit!  There’s lead fragments in this deer meat!

Or so this dentist says.

I googled his name + campaign donors .

Sure enough, that asshole has donated thousands of dollars to political campaigns,

All democratic candidates.

The dude also heads up like the Montana chapter of the audobon society.

I think his “discovery” led to the donated venison program in Michigan getting curtailed or shut down altogether.

Fuck those poor people in Michigan!

We need to make it more expensive and mire inconvenient to hunt
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:16:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, you are one of those people............

Now it makes sense!

Because I am absolutely 100% certain when they ban evil lead bullets for hunting they won't possibly go after ALL lead bullets.

That would NEVER happen.

County or government sponsored gun ranges?  Lead free, can't shoot there unless you shoot lead free.  (We have all kinds of county funded shooting ranges in WI)

I am positive they would stop at banning lead bullets and shot for just hunting.  Yep, totally positive.
View Quote

There is a ban already for lead shot for trap and skeet in parts of Europe.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Their plan is already working. Divide hunters by making lead bullets illegal.  A few folks that use copper immediately jump up and preach the glorious benefits of copper and say banning lead is a good idea because of implied science.  Then someone mentions lead sinkers, and the fishermen say “not me, it’s the hunters”.  

This has nothing to do with saving eagles.  It’s about banning hunting, guns, and ammo by making it too expensive.

ETA- I have rifles that group best with copper than lead. I shoot what the rifles like.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Didn't CA do this a while ago? What were the effects of the ban on wildlife?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Didn't CA do this a while ago? What were the effects of the ban on wildlife?
View Quote

In for answers

Hey John, do ya have some links to studies maybe?
@TheWhiteHorse
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you read the study, the leading cause of Eagle death is automobiles, so we need to ban automobiles.

Lead is number three.

MUCC is worthless.

They don't want to ban lead ammunition, they want to ban all ammunition  and guns.
View Quote

That is all this is.

I have to say windmills are far outpacing vehicles for eagle and most bird deaths.

Lead?   way down the list.  

I can recall locally that a state activist biologist trying to pin lead poisoning deaths of geese on a gun club 40 miles away.   He was searching for a source of lead from shotgun clubs but totally ignoring the likelihood of deliberate poisoning by property owners who were sick and tired of goose shit covering their river front homes.  The deaths were much more concentrated around and in that area in an urban river neighborhood.  (no real hunting being down there)  Most likely a corn a lead shot mix was being placed out to deliberately poison the lawn rats as they locals called them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, you are one of those people............

Now it makes sense!

Because I am absolutely 100% certain when they ban evil lead bullets for hunting they won't possibly go after ALL lead bullets.

That would NEVER happen.

County or government sponsored gun ranges?  Lead free, can't shoot there unless you shoot lead free.  (We have all kinds of county funded shooting ranges in WI)

I am positive they would stop at banning lead bullets and shot for just hunting.  Yep, totally positive.
View Quote

A lead free range?  WTF so you have an archery range?  A public range where you cannot have your kid shoot a .22?  sad.   If they were on the ball they’d have a bullet trap for .22s presuming it was a supervised range so the typical A hole wouldn’t shoot a steel trap up with armor piercing.  

I have a few loads made up for lead free deer hunting.  I also cast lead bullets.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There is a ban already for lead shot for trap and skeet in parts of Europe.

View Quote

New Beretta barrels are designed to shoot steel.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

BobRoberts is talking out of his ass.

I shoot cases of shitty steel shot every year waterfowling.

thats not counting chasing rabbits and quail- other than Dove.

one of my degree's is in Wildlife Management.
every single lead shot study I've ever seen is highly questionable.

View Quote

I quit listening to him when he was claiming his .270 or .280, whatever, had 8 inches of drop at a 1000 yards or some other mathematically impossible bullshit.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Be easier and cheaper to force hunters to remove bullets from gut piles, than force everyone to only shoot copper ammo. .
View Quote

Ok, that is silly.   A corelokt or other generic standard constructed bullet does lose a fair percentage of lead to fragmentation.  Even better grade bullet like a Nosler ballistic tip.  The front part expands pretty violently shedding lead.  I usually had the jacket and core seperate and sometimes the core was  in a couple large pieces I could find wound paths.  Bits of sparkling lead in the wound channels.

no I am not a proponent of banning lead ammo but that is what I have often seen in wound channels.  It’s not the big part of the core from the intact shank, it’s the loose bits.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ETA: OH, it could be where the water supply, that Eagles drink from,  is absorbing the dissolved bullets.... nevermind.
View Quote

IIRC, that's bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I use Barnes almost exclusively in WI and TX, but fuck some tree hugging cunt saying I can't use lead. Cheap lead bullets are perfect to eradicate hogs, yotes, etc. and just fine for deer and other game. I choose Barnes for the speed/penetration they provide with lighter for caliber bullets. Just personal preference for me. Choices are good.

This needs to be fought tooth and nail.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/jv71zOT.jpeg

@BobRoberts, so feedback is only for sellers? Tell me about logic.

Edit: actually tell me more about what a great future all shooting activites have without lead.
View Quote

Tell me about the great future where I advocated banning of lead in all shooting? I didn’t, but jumping to that conclusion seems to be GDs thing.

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#50]
The article shows an X-ray image of a live eagle, and claims that the metallic bits showing up are lead, without any evidence to back it up.  Those bits could have been Cu, or Fe, or any other metals that the eagle happened to ingest.  

I don't know if any eagles are being harmed by lead from hunters, but what I do know is that in WI, the area where they find most of the sick/dead eagles with lead poisoning are in the same area of the state with heavy galena (lead ore) deposits.  Rivers erode lead, bottom feeding fish ingest lead, and eagle ingest those bottom feeding fish (especially in winter, when lakes are frozen and running water is still open).  But hey, let's blame it all on hunters so we can ban lead ammo and make shooting sports cost prohibitive.  

If eagle eating deer gut piles was the problem, then why not push for a ban on hunting deer with lead, such as the ban on hunting waterfowl with lead?  But nope, they want outright bans on all lead ammo, which says it all.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top