Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We should have let Germany and the Soviets bleed each other white. Never should have given Stalin anything. Not one truck, gallon of gas, or bullet. Fuck them. What did it get us?

Soviets were just as bad or worse than the Nazi’s.
View Quote

I often wonder the same thing, but at the same time Germany was building places like Treblinka, Sobibor, Belzec and the biggest murder factory in the history of the world, Auschwitz-Birkenau.

They had to be stopped, and as early as possible. Churchill knew about Auschwitz. Everyone did once Vrba and Wetzler escaped to Slovakia with substantial proof of what was happening there.

WC was in favor of bombing it, as were others on the US side. But the logistics of pulling it off (and making accurate enough hits to destroy the extermination machinery) made it just not possible at the time. The distances and accuracy limits of aerial bombardment just wouldn't allow it. The question of the bombs killing innocent people (prisoners) and being used further as propaganda aside. There actually were some people killed by stray bombs though.

They did bomb Monowitz (nearby refinery and factory) and during that, they snapped this photo:

You can see bombs in the air, literally over top of Crematoriums 2 and 3.  Smoke can be seen coming out of the chimney.

But this was before anyone knew what it was they were looking at.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Patton was right.
View Quote

Yes he was.

If we had not supported Stalin and he hadn't been able to throw his army against the Germans we would have had a nasty time trying to defeat Hitler
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We should have let Germany and the Soviets bleed each other white. Never should have given Stalin anything. Not one truck, gallon of gas, or bullet. Fuck them. What did it get us?

Soviets were just as bad or worse than the Nazi's.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fat man and little boy cores?
View Quote

I don't think little boy had a spherical set of fission target and projectile.

What about Patton?
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hah, six balls my ass
View Quote

I bet you say that to all the boys.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Red Ball Express?
View Quote

Nothing would've moved towards Germany without it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fat man and little boy cores?
View Quote

Little boy’s core was not a “ball”…

South Park - Help Yourself to a Science Book

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The war was won by the American and British code breakers.   Knowing the enemy's plans sure made some commanders look amazing...
View Quote
codebreakers? don't forget the Poles
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of big balls in that war.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
George Patton
Duh
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

+1 for the Church of Lemay.

If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting.
If we had only fought the gwot like that, we would have been done in six months.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The Bomber Mafia is a good look at LeMay and the pacific bombing campaign. While the two atomic bombs were the final nails in the coffin, his firebombing of the major cities would probably have had the same effect in the long run.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Nimitz was a badass, and a Texan, but I repeat myself.

George Marshall was far more important to winning the war.  

Neither put his balls on the line.  The guys at Normandy Beach or Tarawa, they had balls.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424348/quote-there-are-no-innocent-civilians-it-2601517.JPG

If we had only fought the gwot like that, we would have been done in six months.
View Quote

Forget about actually pushing the button...  I do not believe that the ring-knockers at the top of our military today have the balls to even say something like this.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unfortunately for the British, winning the war basically destroyed them.
View Quote

^^ This

I think the war also destroyed the U.S.   It just took longer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#18]
OP spends lots of time thinking about balls.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Japanese lost the war the day they started it.
View Quote
But it took several defeats, a miraculous victory, a long island hopping onslaught across the entire Pacific, multiple island invasions fought until nearly every Japanese soldier was killed, B-29 fire bombing raids, B-29 aerial mining, and two atomic bombs to make their emporer figure that out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Bomber Mafia is a good look at LeMay and the pacific bombing campaign. While the two atomic bombs were the final nails in the coffin, his firebombing of the major cities would probably have had the same effect in the long run.
View Quote
The naval mines Nimitz developed and finally dropped by army heavy bombers were enough to end the war. But it took the atomic bombs to drive hone the point of total defeat at the hands of an unbeatable enemy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
AC/DC - Big Balls (Official Audio)
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The naval mines Nimitz developed and finally dropped by army heavy bombers were enough to end the war. But it took the atomic bombs to drive hone the point of total defeat at the hands of an unbeatable enemy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say you're both making good points.

Japan would never surrender with an operational Navy, or with the slightest hope of being able to resist an invasion still alive. The CL firebomb raids and the atomic weapons are what removed those completely. The latter instantaneously but I would agree that stacking bodies the old fashioned way would have done it too, but on a much longer timeline, and while the loss of allied life continued.

This is why it took two atomic weapons. It had to be demonstrated that the first was no accident, and that there would be a lot more sunshine coming.

I see the decisions about Japan at the higher levels being made about saving American lives much more than destroying Japanese lives. But again, the stacking of bodies was what it took to pierce their (misapplied) adherence to bushido culture.

The lessons that violent cultures only respond to force, violence and death is totally lost on the current generation of military leadership.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424348/quote-there-are-no-innocent-civilians-it-2601517.JPG

View Quote

The only rule of warfare should be to win.  Everything else is bullshit!

Winners write the history and the rules after the fact.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#24]
While those guys had the balls to make tough decisions, the war was won by logistics.  The American economy was able to outproduce the German and Japanese economies.  Can't fight without bullets, beans and gas.  

And I say American economy as opposed to Allied economy as the USA supplied both the UK and Russia while building its forces and continuously replacing needed assets lost in combat.  

The USA simply outproduced both of the main Axis powers.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Patton was right, and murdered
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#26]
LeMay is easily the greatest combat General the Air Force ever had.  Probably the Army too.  Back when the only job was winning wars.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#27]
The Japanese fucked around and found out that's for sure.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I think Turing should get more credit than anyone.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#30]
When you talk about balls and WWII I think of this ditty:

Hitler (Has only got one ball...)
Tune: Colonel Bogey March (River Kwai Theme)

Hitler, he only had one ball,
Goering, he had two but very small,
Himmler had something simmler,
But poor old Goebbels had no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Frankfurt has only one beer hall,
Stuttgart, die München all on call,
Munich, vee lift our tunich,
To show vee 'Cherman' have no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Hans Otto is very short, not tall,
And blotto, for drinking Singhai and Skol.
A 'Cherman', unlike Bruce Erwin,
Because Hans Otto has no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Hitler has only got one ball,
The other is in the Albert Hall.
His mother, the dirty bugger,
Cut it off when he was small.
Whistle Chorus:

Note: Popular in England ca. 1939-1940

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/u/unknownlyrics/hitlerhasonlygotoneballlyrics.html
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I would add two more for Eisenhower. No other general could have led the largest military force the world has ever seen so successfully. To lead the gigantic force of ego-driven cats in season (generals from several countries) and thread the needle between so many politicians on so many fronts was a feat of historic proportions so often taken for granted. I don't think any other general could have done it. Just getting Monty and Patton to keep from killing each other instead of the Germans was an extraordinary feat.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Eisenhower did just that for as long as he could get away with.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:46:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do believe he got that concept from Gen. Sherman.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP spends lots of time thinking about balls.
View Quote

It's called a fetish.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#35]
These balls.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
LeMay is easily the greatest combat General the Air Force ever had.  Probably the Army too.  Back when the only job was winning wars.  

View Quote
LeMay and Sherman; when you absolutely, positively want the shit to end in unchallenged victory.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Lemay kissed my forehead when I was a baby.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would add two more for Eisenhower. No other general could have led the largest military force the world has ever seen so successfully. To lead the gigantic force of ego-driven cats in season (generals from several countries) and thread the needle between so many politicians on so many fronts was a feat of historic proportions so often taken for granted. I don't think any other general could have done it. Just getting Monty and Patton to keep from killing each other instead of the Germans was an extraordinary feat.
View Quote

I don't understand why Ike knuckled under to the British as much as he did.  What were they going to do about it if he told Monty to go fuck himself?  They were the junior partner and vulnerable to many forms of coercion, if they wanted to maximize their role in shaping post-war Europe they had to dance to the American tune.  Their only leverage would have been to fuck with logistics and/or tell their own troops to halfass it, which would have just ceded more of Germany to the Soviets, which would have been as bad or worse for Britain than the US.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't argue your point, but in my mind, every single one of the thousands of men that stepped off a landing craft, dropped out of an airplane, or rode a tin can to sure death had giant balls. Every single one of them was a hero.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
HERE, HERE FOR THE BIG BALLS HAVE BEEN CHOSEN AND THEY ARE MASSIVE
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Japanese lost the war the day they started it.
View Quote

Yamamoto as much as said it:

"I can run wild for six months … after that, I have no expectation of success."

He was acquainted
with the industrial capabilities of the U.S. as well as with the pride of it's people, and feared a war with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No George S Patton?  Am disappoint.

View Quote

Patton  was a relatively minor player compared to those listed the the OP.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. The ultimate result of WWII was international communism.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Churchill was a good distraction for the masses under the blitz “ We can take it” but because of enigma they knew when the bombs were coming and old church was 40 miles away dining on fine food and cigars chortling over Scotch.
Then the next day there he was on the radio “ oy what was a close one last night wasn’t it? Old jerry dropped one right outside side my door.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Bwahahaha

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My WWII vet friend was at Nimitz's headquarters at the end of the war.
View Quote
One of my WWII Vet buddies spent 5 days at Okinawa in the sea after a Kamikaze sunk the destroyer he was a corpsman on.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No love for the thousands that watched the ramps drop and everything in front of them disappears and STILL charged forward up the surf?
Granted you posted three excellent leaders , but let's be honest.
They didn't have to face death and say "Fuck you come get some bitch."
View Quote
Pretty sure LeMay flew a whole bunch of missions.

Churchill I agree with soley for his ability to lead/motivate the public the direction they had to go to win.

Undoubtedly the US Navy beat Japan, but I would argue the Silent Service was more effective than the carriers.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#48]
You are spending too much time thinking about balls. I think what you were searching for was brains.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Churchill...well yeah. Perfect person at the right time. Got done dirty as a "reward"

I won't tell you you're wrong about Nimitz...he did good but he wouldn't have gotten even 1/2 of what he needed were it not for his superior. The Pacific was a complete sideshow to Marshall until King had his way with him. Pretty much said "if the Army" ain't willing to do it, then we (Navy and Marines) will.

Lemay...he did the needful. I don't believe he did anything really unique or inspirational other than to try to ensure the Japanese language was only heard in hell. He did a damn good job of that, but honestly his biggest contribution was going from blow them up to simply setting them all on fire

Wouldn't have minded Patton in there either. Our version of blitzkrieg, albeit earning him his nickname, as opposed to your more methodical Bradley, who had a much better nickname. But it can be difficult to rank bouncing around scopes of responsibility as we are
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#50]
what those billions of dollars of materials got us was an instant army of Soviet conscripts and a leadership more than willing to toss them into the German meat grinder

funny thing is the Soviets were sending precious metals back on the empty cargo ships as payment of some sort, at the time they needed steel, aluminum, lead & copper more than platinum & gold etc
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top