Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to add my story. Back around 1992 or so a buddy had Dodge Dart with the slant six. His was a last generation model, probably a 73 or 74. I can't recall if it was a 2 or 4 door. It was not a bad looking car, but it had faded paint and was old, and there was not much appreciation for those cars yet. It had a lot of miles on it by then.

When he finally got a newer used car, he purposely took it down some really rough dirt roads and just beat the crap out of it all afternoon. In bashing trees with it, we later found out he punctured the oil pan, and began to loose all the engine oil. He didn't know it at time and still kept beating it up, drove it home, and it was still running. Looking back it was a shame, but at that time you would have a hard time finding anyone to pay you even $200 for the car. But that was then. When it was finally dead, a local wrecker company towed it and he probably got $25 for it for scrap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ford 300 i6 or Buick 3800 v6 get my votes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1998 Dodge Neon I bought new, killed in Jan 2013 by a Honda.

I still have the gauge cluster.

https://i.imgur.com/spG5Ktq.jpg

View Quote

Those Neons were good cars. Unfortunately for the car they were cheap enough that the average buyer drove it i9nto the ground quickly with a lack of maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
From the post above about the first gen Dodge Neon, they were good cars. My friend had one that went at least 300K and was extremely reliable and a good driver. Chrysler marketed it as "starting with a clean sheet", and it was pretty good. Sadly, later models seemed to lose the engineering excellence and they reverted back to status-quo cars.

The first gen Saturns were similarly pretty good cars.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally had 2 cars with the venerable 225 slant 6, and they ran great.
My folks had several Valiants too, and none of them quit running.
Oh man though, the bodies rusted out pretty badly from Michigan Winters  
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hino was responsible for the FJ Cruiser.  They had nothing to do with Land Cruisers as far as I know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hino.

I never realized LCs were assembled by Hino. J40? Hamura? I knew about the Hino involvement in light trucks,  Briska that became the Hilux after Toyota was brought in to rescue them.

They were contracted to produced subsystems for many Toyota vehicles, but the only Cruisers I knew they assembled were the FJC and J150 at Hamura (and now the J250 as well).  I'd never seen anything but the initial Honsha ( Koromo when BJ commenced until '63) production until the 1981 1 million Land Cruiser celebration there. Hino do assembly in the 70s?

Hino was responsible for the FJ Cruiser.  They had nothing to do with Land Cruisers as far as I know.

Hino produced at various times HDLC, LDLC and SWLC axles, frames and subassemblies, and TCs - in Japan at Hamura and Hino, and at Samrong in Thailand.

But as I indicated above AFAIK, and as you point out the FJC was at Hamura as well as the J150 LDLC, and the new J250 that prolly not fair to call LD any longer, that's commenced but not yet delivered. Also 4R, Surfs, and Hilux, and a few others at Hamura. But Fxntime is normally reliable.

My impression has always been J40s for the States were always Honsha, as were the bulk of J40s in general. Tho many in country CKD assembly facilities - Portugal, Mexico, Costa Rica, Iran, few places in Africa and ME, Indonesia, etc. J40s and J70s mostly. SOFASA and S o Bernardo got full on assembly plants with local variations due to a number of factors - mostly import laws.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You must not be old enough to remember when a car hitting 100k miles without any major repairs was almost unheard of
View Quote

Yup. That was a long stretch for 60’s & 70’s cars.

I drove a hand me down Olds 98 wagon that finally shit the timing chain at 136k.

Way past its expiration date.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Dragmaster in Carlsbad, Ca were the most prominent dragster builders who used the Slant for power.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
AMC 4.0
View Quote

I had one of these in a jeep. That was a great engine
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as we're on the topic of old cars that had a long life, my dad had a '76 Dodge van with the 318 V8 engine and automatic transmission. That was our family cruiser growing up, and it took us on many a road trip and camping trip. Picked up dirt bikes, hauled firewood and literally tons of other stuff.

The van was pretty reliable and a good driver overall. I think my dad got at least 200k out of it over 15 years. Because we overloaded it quite a bit on camping and cross country road trips, I grew up helping replace leaf springs and U-joints at least once or twice, and I think a failed alternator somewhere in Georgia. But that was expected for what we put it through, and it was a good vehicle. Like everything around here (New York and Pennsylvania area), age and rust finally took it's toll, but it did its job.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If we are discounting leaking valve covers and cracked exhaust manifolds, maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laughs in Jeep 4.0.

If we are discounting leaking valve covers and cracked exhaust manifolds, maybe.

I never had a single issue with mine. I bought the jeep factory new. Grant you I didn't try to climb rocks with it. Mostly trails and mud....lots and lots of mud and ditches.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You must not be old enough to remember when a car hitting 100k miles without any major repairs was almost unheard of
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
200k is not a lot of miles

Laughs in Porsche.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It was enormous miles back in the 60s & 70s.  

Not until jap cars did 100k mileage become normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dr. Porsche is not amused.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

In 1968 that was due to Machining and oil quality
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Toyota 2UZ-FE has multiple examples of 1 million miles.
View Quote

Indeed. I have 2 of these. Keeping for the long haul. 5000 mile oil changes. Just have to make sure to replace that rubber oil line that goes to the cooler. That is the main reason for failures on well maintained trucks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ford 300 i6 or Buick 3800 v6 get my votes.
View Quote

One of GMs better engines

There was no need to cut it from their lineup.  It was a proven engine that was as fuel efficient as any of their modern v6's , it could have been installed in any of their modern platforms. GM could have carried it on as a corporate engine
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I personally had 2 cars with the venerable 225 slant 6, and they ran great.
My folks had several Valiants too, and none of them quit running.
Oh man though, the bodies rusted out pretty badly from Michigan Winters  
View Quote

That ain't no shit.

Over the years I have gotten rid of a number of cars just because the bodies rusted out to beat hell.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One of GMs better engines

There was no need to cut it from their lineup.  It was a proven engine that was as fuel efficient as any of their modern v6's , it could have been installed in any of their modern platforms. GM could have carried it on as a corporate engine
View Quote

I like it, but I think it would have been really tough to keep it power competitive while meeting today's emissions standards.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ford 300 or die.
View Quote

I'm not the biggest fan, but ya... For sheer reliability the inline F300 is damn hard to beat
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A 57 Chevy could get a top end rebuild by the average shade tree mechanic. Nothing built since 1990 is remotely similar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 1957 Chevy recommended the first top end rebuild at 35,000 miles

A 57 Chevy could get a top end rebuild by the average shade tree mechanic. Nothing built since 1990 is remotely similar.

I'm guessing you havent done many top ends recently?  They arent hard
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back then it was.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Transmissions usually shit-the-bed before engines anyhow.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’d argue Volvo did it better. Several hundred thousand miles being pretty routine for the B series engines.
https://tuningpro.co/volvo-b18-engine-guide/
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’d argue Volvo did it better. Several hundred thousand miles being pretty routine for the B series engines.
https://tuningpro.co/volvo-b18-engine-guide/
View Quote

'

I'd take a B series in a volvo C303

Not sure I'm hippy enough for a 240D
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Slant 6 is a fine engine.

However, the Chevy straight 6, or inline 6, was in continuous production for 70 years.  Let that sink in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:44:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

'

I'd take a B series in a volvo C303

https://silodrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Volvo-C303-1600x1235.jpg

Not sure I'm hippy enough for a 240D
View Quote

I had a 245 in the mid '00s. My wife and kids hated it, but I thought it was cool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:22:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
FP every time. every car made today will easily do 200K. even the shitty korean cars. with proper care 300k is probably doable by more than half. shit even old ass jeep Cherokees from the early 90's average like 250K.

ETA the boomers are strong in this one. nothing old is "reliable" you had to service them and constantly adjust shit. todays cars go 100K with tires and oil. the metallurgy simply wasn't there to make engines last back in the day the blocks needed boring at 100K.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

UZ series is pretty under-stressed. I've run a few over 350k - the UOA's were excellent across the life, even at 10k OCIs. The timing belts a major advantage if your intent is doing large miles, if done on schedule. One I sold is on its sixth belt. Prolly it's 3rd starter

You also have the various million mile examples, Farah's LS, some other Toyotas as well. What Sheppard's Tundra tear down showed was interesting. But there's a lot of Million Mile cars - even a Frontier - @midcap. How they get there and what it required is the telling part.

https://carbuzz.com/features/highest-mileage-cars

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lexus 1UZ-FE

/thread

UZ series is pretty under-stressed. I've run a few over 350k - the UOA's were excellent across the life, even at 10k OCIs. The timing belts a major advantage if your intent is doing large miles, if done on schedule. One I sold is on its sixth belt. Prolly it's 3rd starter

You also have the various million mile examples, Farah's LS, some other Toyotas as well. What Sheppard's Tundra tear down showed was interesting. But there's a lot of Million Mile cars - even a Frontier - @midcap. How they get there and what it required is the telling part.

https://carbuzz.com/features/highest-mileage-cars

BIL bought a frontier with a KA24 with 350,000 miles when the timing chain popped from shitty maintenance.

got the head rebuiot and slapped a new timing set on and sent it on it's way
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ford 300 or die.
View Quote

The slant six is good.  It is not as good as the Ford 300.  I'd argue the Chevy 292 is also better than the slant six.  The Toyota 3400 might be right there as well.  All of this is in terms of longevity (not power, torque, efficiency).
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Toyota 3T engine was great!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Kalashnikov  of petrol engines
View Quote
Still made in Australia
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Original timing chain. Original oil pump. Never had to open the engine other than for leaks.
View Quote
Sold my 98 F150 to my sister who drove it daily for 20 years until black ice claimed it. Not all 5.4s sucked.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The 1957 Chevy recommended the first top end rebuild at 35,000 miles
View Quote
My 84 305 was no different, blue smoke on long uphill pulls at 36k.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm 49. I remember my old man wouldn't keep a car after it hit 60k
View Quote

you ain't lying.  i remember growing up thinking a car should fall apart at 100k miles.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Chevy 3.8 series II 349,000 miles and still ticking.
View Quote

always thought that was a great engine.  you could put that in anything it would be fine for 87% of all personal vehicles.

terrific blend of reliability, power and economy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sold my 98 F150 to my sister who drove it daily for 20 years until black ice claimed it. Not all 5.4s sucked.
View Quote

How were they in 2007?  I'm helping my mom get some shit straight.  She inherited a 2007 E250HD van with a 5.4 and 44k miles.  The engine still has that new engine smell to it.
I'm still up in the air about what to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#37]
"Reliable" engines are so because they are over-built and do not generate enough power and rpm to shorten their lifespans.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#39]
As long as you keep on top of the timing belt, the Ford 2.3 is pretty hard to kill.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top