Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2020 8:46:12 PM EDT
Awesome photos from these guys as always.  Eielson AFB got the first of 54 F-35 fighters yesterday, so things are going to be getting noisy in the future.  Here's hoping I get some more photos of them, the ones of the Demo Team last summer were awesome.

All images belong to the USAF and were taken/posted publicly by the Eielson PAO.  (Just as a heads up for those guys that constantly annoy me about opsec)
https://www.facebook.com/EielsonAirForceBase/

A seven-ship formation of U.S. Air Force F-35A Lightning II, F-22 Raptor fifth-generation fighters, and F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter aircraft, as well as a KC-135 Stratotanker flies over the Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex April 21, 2020. The formation depicts Alaska-based U.S. Air Force and Alaska Air National Guard aircraft from both Eielson Air Force Base and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Jerilyn Quintanilla)

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.

Love when the military does low flying training thru our mountains..
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I sleep better knowing we have cool shit like that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
We live on the flight path of Lockheed Martin and Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station Fort Worth.

We love to hear the overflights! The F35s are loud AF... but we live to hear them!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
"All out of missiles, switching to gu...uhh...flares!"
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"All out of missiles, switching to gu...uhh...flares!"
View Quote

Hey, at the air show last year they did great with the flare and smoke grenades simulating explosions due to obscene fire hazard.  I wanted to see a boom though.  Smoke grenades and flares weren't as fun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The F-35 and F-16 makes me very proud.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Yaaaaa BABY
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Badass pics!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The F-35 and F-16 makes me very proud.
View Quote

The 18th Aggressors have some great paint jobs on their jets. Couple guys here on Arf have wrenched on them over the years. I’m just biased since I grew up here/on base.

Shame the F-35s won’t get a kickass paint job, but I think people would get bent out of shape if those had commie symbols all over them

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Peace through superior firepower.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Gorgeous photos. Those folks are essential, I guess.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome photos
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I see they got a couple raptors to
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
They don't usually fly with missiles do they?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Beautiful
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and No.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
awesome, thanks OP
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I see they got a couple raptors to
View Quote

JBER has had raptors for years. They mostly have F-22s and F-15s down there, while interior Alaska is F-16 Aggressors and now F-35s.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Why are AMRAAMs on the F-16 wingtips and Sidewinders on underwing pylons when it used to be the reverse?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why are AMRAAMs on the F-16 wingtips and Sidewinders on underwing pylons when it used to be the reverse?
View Quote

Balance/loading is my guess, but the answer is well outside my skill set or expertise  @Mach do you know?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ll have to disagree with you on that one...  A standing army is a great threat to Liberty.  We’ve been enslaved via confiscatory taxation partially due to the military industrial complex.  
https://www.fff.org/2015/03/31/biggest-threat-american-liberty/

Go ahead.  Statists can commence with their justifications for an oppressive State...
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’ll have to disagree with you on that one...  A standing army is a great threat to Liberty.  We’ve been enslaved via confiscatory taxation partially due to the military industrial complex.  

Go ahead.  Statists can commence with their justifications for an oppressive State...
View Quote

Weird McBowflex, but ok.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Balance/loading is my guess, but the answer is well outside my skill set or expertise  @Mach do you know?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BullF16 would know for sure but I think the AMRAAM causes less wingtip flutter than the Sidewinder. I also think it might have something to do with the difference between the A & C models past a certain block.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Weird McBowflex, but ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird McBowflex, but ok.

Truth is pretty weird when you’ve been fed a bunch of bullshit and lies your whole life.  

State militias were supposed to be our defense, we weren’t supposed to have a standing army, we weren’t supposed to have long term allies and fuck around in foreign affairs.  

Unfortunately, the State figured out war is a racket and now we find ourselves in war after war to feed the military industrial complex that is being cheered on in this thread.  

Free your mind from what you’ve been conditioned to think.  Step out of the trees so you can see the forest.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the F22 and F35 dont have external mounts, only concealed internal for stealth. Feel free to correct me if you're in the know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think the F22 and F35 dont have external mounts, only concealed internal for stealth. Feel free to correct me if you're in the know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The F22 and F35 both have external mounts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not used sometimes for a fairly obvious reason.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#32]
What do we need those for, when China-virus is the new weapon?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because we were working on these before the virus was released and we're not at the point where these birds will be stripped for valuable materials and components to provide hard currency for a bankrupt federal government hellbent on exterminating a siezable portion of its own population juuuuuuuust yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:28:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have to feed the defense contracting companies somehow.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Truth is pretty weird when you’ve been fed a bunch of bullshit and lies your whole life.  

State militias were supposed to be our defense, we weren’t supposed to have a standing army, we weren’t supposed to have long term allies and fuck around in foreign affairs.  

Unfortunately, the State figured out war is a racket and now we find ourselves in war after war to feed the military industrial complex that is being cheered on in this thread.  

Free your mind from what you’ve been conditioned to think.  Step out of the trees so you can see the forest.
View Quote

While i agree with the sentiment to some extent no federal military is as much of a pipe dream as communism working or an actual libertarian society.

We would not be a freeish society without our military. Could we cut it in half or less and let the rest of the world worry about their own shit? Absolutely
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

F-16s thin wings flex a lot, especially under G.

The AIM-120 is nose-heavy relative to the center of gravity and its position on the LAU-129 launcher.

This helps with reducing wing flex under G in both roll and pitch axes.

The AIM-9 on the wingtip helps reduce it more than an empty rail, and both increase the F-16's fuel efficiency as a result when the rails have a missile on them versus being empty.

It's something that was identified a long time ago during weapons carriage flight tests on the Viper.

Once the AIM-120 came online, they were initially carrying them on stations 2 & 8 IIRC, then started moving them to 1 & 9 for this reason, while putting AIM-9s on 2 & 8.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Those F-16 camo schemes are HAWT.

F-35 looks great too. Very clean. You know I initially thought it was a rather ugly pig, and from certain views I still think that, but it has grown on me.

It is certainly better-looking than Boeing's proposal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

F-35 looks great too. Very clean. You know I initially thought it was a rather ugly pig, and from certain views I still think that, but it has grown on me.

View Quote

I felt the same way about the F-22 until I saw it rape the sky with its performance.

They still look kinda ungainly from the side, but from top, bottom, front, or rear, they are sleek.

Same for the F-35.  It looks terrible from the side, but amazing from those same angles.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:02:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

If we were living in the universe, or next to the universe of The Probability Broach I might agree with you.

However we live in a world where other countries maintain standing armies.

As for the constant wars, oh the irony of that statement. Huge chunks of our big fancy military industrial complex have been worn down to a nub by these constant wars. Spend all your time, effort, treasure and blood killing Iron Age goat herders and perhaps you aren't able to handle a near peer opponent.

Now it all becomes a game of who can maintain their big, scary militaries the longest. Many countries, like Germany have already chucked in the sponge.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:35:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh yeah, the 18th Aggressor has some awesome paint on their jets.  I think (but am not 100%) that the standard fighters are the grey/blue and grey/black, and the woodland are squadron commander and 2 seat birds.  There was a badass black one for a bit in 2017, but it turns out the airframe was just getting ready for paint.  Shame, because it looked awesome.  No idea why they'd fly a jet in the process of getting painted, but I couldn't tell you what's required to do .mil jet paint anyhow.

(not my photo)
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:15:47 AM EDT
[#42]
When I was in Arizona a couple months ago. I was very fortunate to hang out outside of Davis Monthan in Tucson and Luke AFB in Phoenix and capture some footage of A-10s, F-22s, F-35s and FA-18s

Here's a few pics of the Raptors at Davis Monthan

A-10s at Davis Monthan

Two F-35s at Davis Monthan above a B-50 at Pima air and Space Museum

F-35s at Luke AFB

Two F-35s taking off from Luke AFB in Phoenix AZ

Two F-35s landing at Luke AFB in Phoenix AZ

Two F-35s performing touch and goes at Luke AFB in Phoenix AZ

Two F-35s landing at Luke AFB in Phoenix AZ

FA-18s at Luke AFB

Two FA-18s landing at Luke AFB in Phoenix AZ

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

F-16s thin wings flex a lot, especially under G.

The AIM-120 is nose-heavy relative to the center of gravity and its position on the LAU-129 launcher.

This helps with reducing wing flex under G in both roll and pitch axes.

The AIM-9 on the wingtip helps reduce it more than an empty rail, and both increase the F-16's fuel efficiency as a result when the rails have a missile on them versus being empty.

It's something that was identified a long time ago during weapons carriage flight tests on the Viper.

Once the AIM-120 came online, they were initially carrying them on stations 2 & 8 IIRC, then started moving them to 1 & 9 for this reason, while putting AIM-9s on 2 & 8.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f16railstores2.gif
View Quote

Spock_fascinating.jpeg
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
(not my photo)
View Quote

MiG-30?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#47]
 Kick ass thread is kick ass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it depends on how stealthy they need to be. For example if they were going to Iran to fuck shit up we could drive it in the country on a trailer and fire weapons and be good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Great thread though guys, love the pictures, love the insight and stories we get on these type of threads. This is why I love Arf.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s the free shit welfare army that has enslaved and killing the middle class in the USA
At least the military industrial complex provides for numerous good paying skilled or educated jobs.
All the social services are the blood sucking leach on freedom and liberty.   They produce nothing but more co-dependence.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top