Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2024 8:45:44 PM EDT
First to last song an incredible album with one of the best instrumental rock tracks.

Def Leppard - Switch 625 (In Memorie Of Steve Clark)

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I knew what it was before I clicked.

Peak Def Leppard for sure.

Willis and Clark still had the raw sound. Better than the Collen Clark polished sound.

The songs were fantastic, no skips necessary.

I still listen to it complete and in order every couple weeks for the past 40 years.  Never gets old.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It was one of the all time best albums when it came out.  Gritty and new sound for the time and before Mutt Lang got involved.  I wore out two cassettes and then got the CD.

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have a Fidelity Labs Gold disc of Pyromania. Another great offering. They were actually a damn good band.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally someone agrees with me.  I’ve been saying this for years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Peak hard rock DL.

Pyromania is DL mainstream rock.

Hysteria is Pop/Rock.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was one of the all time best albums when it came out.  Gritty and new sound for the time and before Mutt Lang got involved.  I wore out two cassettes and then got the CD.

View Quote
  Mutt should be beaten for what he did to DL. So much potential wasted.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
This song has always done something to me.

Def Leppard - Bringin' On The Heartbreak (Version 1)
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
What has 7 arms and sucks?

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
What has 9 arms and sucks?

JK - some of their stuff is okay.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Ahhh .....memories of drinking Mickeys "Big Mouths" in the back seat of my friend's mom's Olds 98 Diesel on the way to see this tour at the Lee County Civic Center ......

We made the same trek for Dokken, Ratt, and Poison
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Pyromania is my favorite
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Just saw them with Cheap Trick and Journey in Cleveland Tuesday night.

Good show.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Finally someone agrees with me.  I’ve been saying this for years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
their best album
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have it and On Through The Night in my library. Don’t care enough about the other albums to get them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
There are so many epic guitar riffs on that album it's crazy.

So many great songs - love this one especially:

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Pyromania was my first rock album (cassette). Cranked it on my boom box in Jr. High.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Def Leppard was pretty good

Blind Melon was okay

But Paraplegic Carrot really rocks!

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
They were an okay band. I saw them in a high-school gym in early 80s. So close you could smell the old spice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I think from On through the night to the first side of High n Dry Def Leppard sounded like the hungriest band in the world. Absolutely hitting on all cylinders.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pyromania is my favorite
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I miss the days when every track on an album was worth listening to.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
First to last song an incredible album with one of the best instrumental rock tracks.

https://i.imgur.com/HEtbtDf.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS70QWFns8s
View Quote
I always preferred Pyromania. But, this one came out a bit before I started buying cassettes so was a "discovered later" kind of thing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Their Live in the Round concert is a favorite of mine.  This is a great cover of Hysteria and a tribute to Steve (RIP).
Def Leppard - Hysteria - Live 'In The Round' (Steve Clark - Guitar Cover)
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Not proud but it's my era....

DEF LEPPARD - "Women" (Official Music Video)

"Not proud" does not mean it's not awesome.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Have almost all the tapes and cds.

Got me through school homework listening to them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#29]
One of the many parts of the soundtrack of my youth.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think from On through the night to the first side of High n Dry Def Leppard sounded like the hungriest band in the world. Absolutely hitting on all cylinders.
View Quote

i had it on 8-track....
click
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 3:09:39 AM EDT
[#31]
On Through the Night, High and Dry, Pyromania. All great albums. Hysteria had four great songs, the first three, all of the songs were great. I went to see them twice in Charlotte NC, the High and Dry and the Pyromania tours.

At the Pyromania concert, Tesla opened. Tesla blew them away. Tesla was the hungry rock band at that show. Def Leppard was great, but Tesla was crazy good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This song has always done something to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_X5A-BYjO8
View Quote
Regrettable I never saw them with Willis and Clark but did limp down and snagged some prime seats for the 2019/20 Stadium Tour .  I tend to agree with those who feel this song is their best.  Big difference in creating and performing but the current lineup absolutely slayed it live and the Band knew it.  At the end Vivian Campbell walked over to Phil Collen and said something.  Even my friends who were really there to see Motley Fools realized what they had just witnessed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#33]
My favorite Def Leppard album is High n Dry.  It's a masterpiece not a clinker on it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pyromania was my first rock album (cassette). Cranked it on my boom box in Jr. High.
View Quote

Same.  I bought High and Dry after and it's my favorite from the band  but I know almost every song on Pyromania word for word.

I  currently have On Through the Night, High and Dry, and Pyromania on vinyl.  They all have a regular spot in the rotation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Their Live in the Round concert is a favorite of mine.  This is a great cover of Hysteria and a tribute to Steve (RIP).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9AsqXRGpKI
View Quote

absolutely on the best performances on film.
Live in the Round is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#36]
It’s (by far) their best.  Every time they play or think about recording another album, they should be forced to listen to High ‘n’ Dry for 48 hours first.

One of the best albums of the 80s, and it was a great decade for music.

When I saw the title, my first thought was “HnD… if he says ‘Hysteria’, I’m going to lose my shit.”
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Pyromania will always be one of my favorite "coming of age" albums.  Turned twelve or so that year and all the cool older kids were rocking it at the beach that summer.  Good memories.  I even admit to wearing out Hysteria on cassette a few years later in my first car on my rockin' Sparkomatic lol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ahhh .....memories of drinking Mickeys "Big Mouths" in the back seat of my friend's mom's Olds 98 Diesel on the way to see this tour at the Lee County Civic Center ......

We made the same trek for Dokken, Ratt, and Poison
View Quote

Haha, thanks for reminding me of my buddy vomiting all over his bedroom floor pounding Mickey wide mouths at a highschool party in 1977. Memories! I can still smell the reek.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
What has 9 arms and sucks?

JK - some of their stuff is okay.
View Quote

I saw them in Germany with an even number of arms right before the Pyromania release and they put on a great show.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not proud but it's my era....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HR0P3sIb80

"Not proud" does not mean it's not awesome.
View Quote

The '80s electronic arena drums aren't my favorite, but there was some GREAT guitar playing on this song and album! One of their great moments was the original raw version of Tear It Down around this time. They always had such great, crisp, modern guitar sounds.  Peak Jackson + Les Paul combo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
On Through the Night, High and Dry, Pyromania. All great albums. Hysteria had four great songs, the first three, all of the songs were great. I went to see them twice in Charlotte NC, the High and Dry and the Pyromania tours.

At the Pyromania concert, Tesla opened. Tesla blew them away. Tesla was the hungry rock band at that show. Def Leppard was great, but Tesla was crazy good.
View Quote

I think you saw Tesla open for them on the Hysteria tour.  The guys in Tesla were probably in high school when Pyromania came out.

Edit for correction.  Tesla guys are as old or older than Def Leppard guys, but Leppard has been a band for much longer than Tesla.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There are so many epic guitar riffs on that album it's crazy.

So many great songs - love this one especially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYt0w8ZRXYA
View Quote

My favorite song on the album as well. This was always in heavy rotation on my turntable or the tape deck when it came out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Op is correct. I listen to that album often and have been for 40 years.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Especially SIDE ONE!
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#45]
High N Dry was my first exposure to Def Leppard. I bought it on LP.  Pyromania hadn't come out yet, which I also got that on LP when it was released.

Back in those days you got the LP, recorded it on cassette and then played the cassette on your huge Boom Box, which you bungied to your bicycle. Invariably the Boom Box would eat said cassette which is why you didn't just buy it on cassette in the first place. Plus the LP sounded better on the home stereo (using huge hard wired head phones if the parents were home).

Hysteria was my very first CD.

High N dry was always my favorite album of theirs. I got On Through the Night on LP somewhere along the way, but never warmed up to that album, though a couple songs were pretty good.

Link Posted: 8/3/2024 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I knew what is was before I clicked.  I blasted that album out of my bicycle Bluetooth speaker last time my wife and I went on a ride around the neighborhood.  Even she was like, “who is this?” And I’m like “Def freaking Leppard!”, because all she knows from them is Love Bites and Pour Some Stupid On Me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I have it and On Through The Night in my library. Don’t care enough about the other albums to get them.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#48]
I never cared for "Deaf Leppers."

My brother played Hysteria incessantly in high school.

Link Posted: 8/3/2024 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It’s (by far) their best.  Every time they play or think about recording another album, they should be forced to listen to High ‘n’ Dry for 48 hours first.

One of the best albums of the 80s, and it was a great decade for music.

When I saw the title, my first thought was “HnD… if he says ‘Hysteria’, I’m going to lose my shit.”
View Quote

My exact thoughts too...
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I think you saw Tesla open for them on the Hysteria tour.  The guys in Tesla were probably in high school when Pyromania came out.
View Quote

Jeff Keith is older than Joe Elliot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top