Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/9/2019 11:35:14 AM EDT
There has always been a lot of talk of civil war this and "big igloo" that, but since I've been here I've never seen a thread where we actually put meat on the bones for this topic. Just what are you supposed to do when someone says, "Contact, front." and you break into your immediate action drills? We have some very knowledgeable people here. I'm sure we could hash something out.

There are many good references available that can serve as a starting point: FM 7-8, MCWP 3-11.2, The Ranger Handbook, etc. These will get you some familiarity with battle drills, etc.

I'm of the opinion that when you have fewer options available and the decision making process is simplified, the probability that an action will be performed correctly greatly increases. This is especially true with novices. Frankly, a few carbine courses and practice on the weekends =! a professional soldier. It just doesn't. With that in mind, is it still prudent to emulate how Uncle Sam does things, even though we won't be as proficient at it? Do we want to follow Batman's playbook if we ain't Bruce Wayne?

That line of thinking got me asking the following:

"How do we know we're in an ambush?"

It's an honest question. Is it volume and effectiveness of fire alone? Could it be a meeting engagement where we bumped a group hand railing the same piece of terrain as us? Maybe it's a pair of sleepy sentries that let us get way too close. FM 7-8 has separate battle drills for react to contact and react to ambush. If we omitted the react to contact drill entirely we eliminate a decision that would need to be made under fire. Do we want to treat every contact as an ambush though?

"Is it still relevant to differentiate near/far ambushes?"

FM 7-8 puts a near ambush at grenade range and 3.11-2 puts it at 50 meters. We probably wont have any grenades, at least not initially. In a carbine dominate fight, does it make sense to run everything as a far ambush? If not, should the above ranges be amended? Additionally, how can we ensure that we maintain control during this process? We don't want half our team to react to near ambush and the other react to far ambush from discrepancies in judging distances.

"Contemporary wisdom says a react to near ambush is an immediate assault through, but what should that actually look like?"

From the last question, a near ambush could be up to 50m away. That's a good bit of ground to cover. Should we focus on defaulting to traditional F&M with 3-5 second rushes over 5-7 yards until commanded otherwise? When I hear "assault through" I think assault fire, that stuff done at the last part of the attack where you dress lines after F&Ming to the forward edge of the enemy position where you all get up on line and clear the objective at a methodical walk until you hit the limit of advance. Is that too advanced? Perhaps we could combine assault fire with the movement portion of F&M? Bounds would take longer, but there'd be continuous fire coming from all teams. Each team would also bring its own suppression with it when moving, mitigating the problem of teams occluding each others' fields of fire when distance to the enemy shortens.

"How useful is initiating everything with a bit of Drake shooting?"

This is taken straight from the RLI's experiences killing terrorists in Rhodesia. The idea is simple. If you kill the cover you'll kill the bad guy, even if you don't see him. Basically you'd get on line, take a knee, and put a controlled pair into any cover in front of you with the goal of regaining initiative and fire superiority. This is done quickly and you'd then roll into another drill. It gets you in a bit of cover and gets fires going out quickly so it's not bad of an idea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
There are groups of SF veterans training patriotic Americans the asymmetrical warfare curriculum they spent their careers teaching to foreign ally indigenous forces. This is what you’re looking for.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The term boogaloo died two weeks after it started, OP.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It will live forever in our hearts though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There are groups of SF veterans training patriotic Americans the asymmetrical warfare curriculum they spent their careers teaching to foreign ally indigenous forces. This is what you’re looking for.
View Quote
Show me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. I just ordered a Brownells Boogaloo Squad tshirt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If a group of GD'rs met up as a result of widespread unrest, who would be in charge?
View Quote
I've already claimed the rank of Corporal Captain.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If a group of GD'rs met up as a result of widespread unrest, who would be in charge?
View Quote
Post count. Duh.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've already claimed the rank of Corporal Captain.
View Quote
Obviously the people from Ohio would have to start at private.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ed Sr.?

Hypothetically, our guns are useless.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Post count. Duh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Post count. Duh.
General Aimless and Admiral AlphaJaguars
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Post count would decide. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not going to happen like this.

There will be an escalation of tit-for-tat atrocities committed by far left ANTIFA and far right groups. They will be arsons, murders, and acts of cowardice and intimidation committed towards the families and communities surrounding the various talking heads of the left and right.

More and more people will radicalize to the far left and far right and one time moderates will gain a "I'll have a Coke" mentality after watching their own group's innocent's victimized. They won't care or even aid/support the actor's when it happens to the other side

There is not going to be a "man the barricades" moment. Not for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one the capable of getting from behind the computer desk the quickest without having a coronary
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me, always me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Whether widespread unrest, or ground-gaining combat, would dictate. Urban or rural, would put a finer point on it.

Sorry to disappoint, I didn't have a smartass answer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My guess is if anything were to happen it would be much more of a Northern Ireland/IRA insurgency instead of a Union vs Confederacy event.  Even that on a coordinated large scale would be a stretch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been in two "boogaloos" -- as you put it; one in South America and one in Haiti -- both as nations collapsed and the countries erupted into guerilla warfare.

Couple things i picked up; there was never an organized front of soldiers -- just skirmishes between rivals that lasted minutes and left many dead. You will most likely never see your enemy; you'll only hear his gunfire and if you're lucky, you'll get a sense of general direction of where they are shooting from.

Most skirmishes were over resources;  Fuel and gasoline depots.  ALL points of entry and egress; railroad and especially airports and sea ports -- this is where those "in the know" would concentrate their presence.

After about 10 days of fighting, once all the Rambos have been killed; those are the fanatics that run to the center of the street and pop-off kalashnikovs in the air. Once those guys have been shot to pieces, the fighting becomes a snipers' war. Pot shots are taken at distance and there are only a few kills per day. After that -- its a grinding fight for the leftover food, gasoline and water.

I was usually out of the country by then -- as the US has its folks leave whenever countries collapse. But the weeks and months into a fresh revolution are ANYTHING but organized. There will not be any "front lines".  At best, you'll only be directing a volume of fire to a general direction -- hoping you're not shooting your own.  After that, travel at night, no lights on your car and hope the snipers are not good.

Thats all i have to say about that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Terrain will dictate, always does.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Show me.
View Quote
You’re not my supervisor, but whatever.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/RECONDO_School/15-315129/
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
They will be too busy fighting over beans / no beans, tay tay, etc, etc....to worry about stupid shit like rank
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me.

Only 10 years too late.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#25]
In my mind the first "incidents" if things take a really bad turn that could potentially kick things off would probably be holdout type situations, kind of like Ruby Ridge.

If they start "red flagging" any and all dissenters people will start to band together for safety in numbers and inevitably some of these strongholds will then get surrounded by LE.  That will be the real test---do these holdouts negotiate for weeks and eventually peacefully surrender or do they eventually come out guns blazing?

I think that will be how it starts or doesn't start.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Only 10 years too late.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me.

Only 10 years too late.  
That event might have been one of the first, but it wasn’t the last. There was one in April of this year.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That event might have been one of the first, but it wasn’t the last. There was one in April of this year.
View Quote
If it's the place in NC, they look to be still open
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Post count. Duh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Post count. Duh.
Join date....
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#29]
http://preparedgunowners.com/author/mountainguerrilla/

But snipers and PIES will rule the day
NVG, thermal, snipers, and PIES will rule the night

HUMINT and COMSEC invaluable
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Some states have laws against private "militias" engaging in "paramilitary training" but you can form a "modern military historical society" which does reenactments of recent battles, and prepares for those reenactments by having classes that train...excuse me...INFORM....the "historians" of actual Army doctrine and tactics using actual Army training materiel such as FM 7-8 and other relevant soldier training documentation,  combined with "reenactment drills" that follow the manual.   Classes best taught by Army veterans. Combat veterans in particular.

It's not paramilitary training, it's rehearsal for a reenactment.

You should definitely join up with this organization, or start your own chapter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol no, nice try alphabet boy
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The point of immediately assaulting through the ambush force in a near ambush is to get out of the kill zone in the most effective manner possible.  Taking time to go to kneeling or prone to return fire is keeping you in the kill zone too long.  But it takes training to RECOGNIZE a near ambush properly, as opposed to a meeting engagement or far ambush.
View Quote
Obviously you don't want to dawdle in the kill zone, but can a novice ID it as such?I think there's the rub and part of what I was getting at in the OP.

It takes a lot of training to recognize this stuff. Barring that, hopefully you have a team leader who does and can start directing things. I heard it said, "If you walk into a proper ambush set by people that know what they're doing you shouldn't be able to walk out of it." Thankfully we live in an imperfect world where people can survive in the little gaps created by luck and human error. We can't just write everybody in the kill zone off so, regardless of skill level, we need to give the people there something to do. What is that? I defer to people with better knowledge than myself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If it's the place in NC, they look to be still open
View Quote
The one I linked to is in the Pacific Northwest. It’s also not the only one I know of in the Pacific Northwest. That leads me to believe there are probably others out there if you know where to look.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Assaulting into an ambush makes sense if you got guys to your left and right that you know will move towards the sound of gunfire. It is a fantasy to think that your neighborhood watch will do this.

Just off the top of my head, why it is a fantasy
-Mental toughness to move towards someone shooting at you
-Lack of physical fitness
-Lack of rank structure
-Lack of indirect fire to target enemy in defilade

In my opinion if you wanted to LARP about the big igloo put down the Ranger handbook and start studying things that maybe more useful
-First aid
-Physical fitness
-How to get gas out of gas station tanks storage tanks with no power
-auto repair/recovery
-how to operate standard construction equipment (master key sets available on amazon)

If I wanted to get a little more offensive minded I would start looking at
-The local infrastructure (transmission power grid, gas lines, water lines)
-cellphone/radio jamming
-not going to add anything else for fear of making into onto some type of list, though Che covers a lot of it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its actually the big yikes now was the big hootenanny
Attachment Attached File

I just checked again... its back to big igloo
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Assaulting into an ambush makes sense if you got guys to your left and right that you know will move towards the sound of gunfire. It is a fantasy to think that your neighborhood watch will do this.

Just off the top of my head, why it is a fantasy
-Mental toughness to move towards someone shooting at you
-Lack of physical fitness
-Lack of rank structure
-Lack of indirect fire to target enemy in defilade

In my opinion if you wanted to LARP about the big igloo put down the Ranger handbook and start studying things that maybe more useful
-First aid
-Physical fitness
-How to get gas out of gas station tanks storage tanks with no power
-auto repair/recovery
-how to operate standard construction equipment (master key sets available on amazon)

If I wanted to get a little more offensive minded I would start looking at
-The local infrastructure (transmission power grid, gas lines, water lines)
-cellphone/radio jamming
-not going to add anything else for fear of making into onto some type of list, though Che covers a lot of it.
View Quote
If you aren’t rolling with a cell jammer you’re gonna have a bad time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/400569/FB_IMG_1564283775350_jpg-1084436.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/400569/FB_IMG_1564283775350_jpg-1084436.JPG

I like boogaloo.

Great hootenanny is also hilarious.

I'm not a big fan of big igloo
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you aren’t rolling with a cell jammer you’re gonna have a bad time.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181959/429C7FF7-B476-43CB-80D6-C51F9E1B17A3-1084441.png
View Quote
IEDs? Or to deter squad movements?
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Breakin 2 Electric Boogaloo Part 2: Immediate Action Boogaloo!
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ieds, C4ISR

Incidentally cell jammers are super easy to locate so don’t go alone unless you’re moving fast as fuck
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
In 1984? I doubt it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Post count would decide. Attachment Attached File
View Quote
Will she be in my squad?
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ieds, C4ISR

Incidentally cell jammers are super easy to locate so don’t go alone unless you’re moving fast as fuck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ieds, C4ISR

I want one of those and also that crazy plasma cutter that looks like a scuba tank.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Will she be in my squad?
View Quote
No but you can get the ladyboi knockoff from Thailand on your squad
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I want one of those and also that crazy plasma cutter that looks like a scuba tank.
View Quote
Check it out
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I like boogaloo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like boogaloo.

Great Hootenanny is better

Id not heard it until now, but I'm happy I did
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#48]
OP, what subclass are you?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#49]
hope you got a gun that can kill viruses
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#50]
ROFL who is making this stuff?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top