Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2024 5:01:28 PM EDT
Who's the u-boat captain..?

My 90 year old dad, that's who...

Thankfully no injuries, but.... Me thinks it's time to give up driving.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Ouch. Went through that with my Grandpa and my dad. It's tough. But you've got to do it.

Everyone will feel horrible if someone gets killed or seriously injured.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep…
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
90's pretty good.

Maybe self driving will work for us as we get older.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
To be honest. Might as well let him keep the keys.

That ain't goin' nowhere.  

j/k....glad he's ok.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad he's safe.

And I agree it may be best to drive him where he wants to go.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Or locate an amphicar for him.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad your father is OK. I don't know how well your father can see and react, but 90 is pretty far up there to be driving, even most in their late 70s shouldn't be driving. At a certain point their driving becomes dangerous to themselves and everyone else on the road.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn.....not even a question really at this point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
This might have been handy.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to hear he's OK.
90 is a good run of driving.
Did he extract himself or did a passerby help out?

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't insurance pretty much make that decision at that point?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder about my dad's vision. The other day I was at their place and he asked if there was a turkey in the field,  nope that's a pheasant, well what about the second one? There's literally only one pheasant in the field.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Pops had to hang ‘em up -67 years ago.

Gets around with uber and it’s cheaper than the cost of the car with his small orbit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lorax:
To be honest. Might as well let him keep the keys.

That ain't goin' nowhere.  

j/k....glad he's ok.
View Quote

Lol...

Passers-by jumped in to help... Smashed the rear window with a rock to get him out.

People helping people
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad he’s ok OP.

But yeah, at 90 it’s past time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:
Doesn't insurance pretty much make that decision at that point?
View Quote

He's in BC.
Responding RCMP are sending a report to ICBC, the provincial insurer/lic. auth. to recommend his lic. be revoked.
My guess is they'll send him for an evaluation which he won't pass.
Ideally he'll just say "fuck it" and give up voluntarily.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
This might have been handy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/Boatcar-3204512.jpg
View Quote

This would be more his style... Or at least something he might be familiar with..

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Ouch. Went through that with my Grandpa and my dad. It's tough. But you've got to do it.

Everyone will feel horrible if someone gets killed or seriously injured.
View Quote

This guys family knew it was time. They wouldnt ride in the car with him and elected to follow behind. He took a left turn into the left lane and hit us head on. I was completely stopped. The next day he didnt know he had been in a wreck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
How did it happen?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By McGuy:
How did it happen?
View Quote

He missed a turn/bend in the road.. My sister, who's local to him was on scene moments afterward. She believes he nodded off or just was going too fast and didn't realize.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/485006/Good-Samaritans-rescue-senior-man-stuck-in-car-in-Skaha-Lake
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Kolat:
I wonder about my dad's vision. The other day I was at their place and he asked if there was a turkey in the field,  nope that's a pheasant, well what about the second one? There's literally only one pheasant in the field.
View Quote

Ah yes.
And double vision is where I'm at.
Loads of fun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiShooter] [#25]
My 92 year old father drove long after he should have because his blind wife needed him to chauffeur around. I reported my concerns to his state DMV to initiate issuing a letter requiring him to come in for a driving test. He called me after he got the letter and was pissed about  being picked on for his age. His license was revoked after his evaluation. Afterwards I flew down to pick up his car keys. I found unpaid tickets in his glove box and he confided that he was seeing double. He acknowledged that he should not be driving.

I told my boys that if/when I am in a similar situation that they should not hesitate to do the same for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
When the police called to say, "Your father's been in an accident, but we're not ticketing him because he seems confused," that's when we knew it was time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Old guy near here backed his Tahoe into the river next to his house one day in November. They finally found his body the next spring a couple miles down river.

There were apparently quite a few signs in the weeks/months leading up to this, but nobody made the effort to take away his keys.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm 75, find driving less enjoyable and let my younger wife drive.  Not planning on driving much longer, really tired of the idiots on the road.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Ouch.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Let him keep the keys, remove the fuel pump relay.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#31]
It happens to everyone eventually. I remember my dad having to do it with my grandfather. we had to do it to dad after he wrecked the car in the hospital parking garage. Mom ended up injuired pretty bad, so he knew it was time. I've got maybe 20 years if I'm lucky until it's my turn.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HillaryClinton:
Glad your father is OK. I don't know how well your father can see and react, but 90 is pretty far up there to be driving, even most in their late 70s shouldn't be driving. At a certain point their driving becomes dangerous to themselves and everyone else on the road.
View Quote

from my cold, dead hand!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't worry, we are tired of you on the ride too.  

Originally Posted By Klaatu_barada_nikto:
I'm 75, find driving less enjoyable and let my younger wife drive.  Not planning on driving much longer, really tired of the idiots on the road.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#35]
It all depends on the person.  My grandmother on my father's side drove until she was 95 , when she started having physical problems and passed soon after.  Her mind and eyesight was perfect until the end.  I remember a dinner with all my aunts and uncles and they needed glasses to read the bill, when my grandmother didn't.  Catarac replacement lenses, but she only ever used readers prior.  She reviewed her own hospital bills an insurance statements and wrote the checks for the bills until the end, very different than other elderly family members I had seen.

My grandmother in the other side, from 85+ legally blind and by 90 didn't know who was the current president(that would be a gift today).  Completely incapable of driving and lived to 102, no longer remembering who I was.

I will say a funny anecdote of my granmother who drove until the end, she had to find a new bowling team, twice.  All of the other old women passed away on her teams.  That stage in life has to be so weird, seeing everyone you know pass away.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#36]
My Grandmother hit three separate cars in the supermarket parking lot, and kept on toodling.

All three followed her home, and none too happy about it.

That was the last time she ever drove a car.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife's great grandma got her last speeding ticket when she was 93. The officer was so surprised to see that little 93 year old lady behind the steering wheel that was going 90mph lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Is this north of Houston. They got a lot of rain in the last few days and some roads are closed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#40]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#41]
If I had skills I'd shop a periscope and torp wake.

Yeah, it's probably time. Glad he's alright. Hopefully he realizes and accepts it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#42]
That is a sure sign he should stop driving.

BTW:
Honey, I think I flooded the carburetor.
Where's the car?
In the lake.
- Henny Youngman
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I had to take away dad’s keys on Christmas Day after he hit 2 cars, somehow ended up in the neighbors front yard and almost plowed into my new work truck in the driveway. He said that he couldn’t find the brake pedal, his foot was on the floor below the brake pedal. Prior to that he had a series of minor fender benders that he blamed on the other drivers. He resisted, just like his dad did when he had to take grandpa’s keys away. If I continued to let him drive and he hurt or killed somebody, that’s on me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Dad quit driving when he was complaining about other people swerving all over and mom told him that HE was the one swerving all over. He gave his keys to mom after that. Hell I think he enjoyed being chauffered around. Mom quit after turning the van too sharp leaving a parking stall and clipped a car parked next to her. Minor damage, but she didnt feel safe about driving after that. She had the start if sundowners. I was looking into a tracker for the van if she kept up driving.

Mom had a hell of a time getting her moms keys. Grandma was a psychotic driver. 40mph city or highway. Stopped at greens and sometimes ignored reds. How she didnt get in an accident I dunno.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#45]
All seriousness aside, thats some funny shit...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#46]
An old family friend died last year at 84 that way.

He’d had several wrecks. The last one, he turned in front of a tractor-trailer.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn, just damn.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Well what a way to wrap it up.
Give the kids something to fuss about then make em drive you everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
90's pretty good.

Maybe self driving will work for us as we get older.
View Quote

Who are you kidding bro....we're about 12 years away from blue states aborting the 75+ folks and using them as protein base.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#50]
My 83YO dad wanted a new car.  I ensured he got one with nanny features and then set them to max.  It's his last car and it was a want he had.  He is 83 so I didn't tell him no.  I just steered him toward the right car for him.  

He LOVES his '24 CX5.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top