Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now they find the bino's.
View Quote
Jury is still out on that. A dead calm sea and atmospheric lensing doomed the titanic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Jury is still out on that. A dead calm sea and atmospheric lensing doomed the titanic.
View Quote
and, nut coal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Could Ballard really have claimed the wreck and kept others away? Wouldn't it have been some kind of salvage claim, and for that do you need to actually salvage something?

I know he was dead set against removing anything, at least that's what he said at the time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got a piece of the Ark for sale if your interested.
View Quote
What Ark?

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Could Ballard really have claimed the wreck and kept others away? Wouldn't it have been some kind of salvage claim, and for that do you need to actually salvage something?

I know he was dead set against removing anything, at least that's what he said at the time.
View Quote
I'm not sure he could have claimed it. The Titanic expedition was actually cover for Woods Hole.

IIRC they were actually working for the DOD/Navy to film the Scorpion wreck.

I could be wrong but I think that's what I read.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's written that he could have and regrets not doing it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could he have even claimed it? Do maritime salvage rights still work like that? It seems like lately everyone who discovers a shipwreck with valuables on it get sued in court by the original owner or government that owned the ship and end up losing their rights to the loot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He's written that he could have and regrets not doing it.
View Quote
It is all here, he didn't know about the nut coal though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ballard

Other source
""
According to National Geographic, under these circumstances, the first the first people to bring an object from the wreck to the surface have exclusive salvage rights to the wreck.

https://www.azula.com/who-owns-titanic-2586074881.html
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is all here, he didn't know about the nut coal though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ballard

Other source
""
According to National Geographic, under these circumstances, the first the first people to bring an object from the wreck to the surface have exclusive salvage rights to the wreck.

https://www.azula.com/who-owns-titanic-2586074881.html
View Quote
Good read. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THATS CALLED NUT COAL, BIG SHIPS BURN BIG COAL. THATS THE SIZE YOU BURN IN A KITCHEN COAL STOVE. I BURN BIGGER COAL THEN THAT IN OUR PARLOR STOVE. OF COURSE THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD BIG LUMPS AND CRACKED THEM INTO 4 PIECES FOR PROFIT . THE BIG SHIPS AND FOUNDRYS BURN EGG COAL. COAL IS SOLD BY THE SIZE RICE,BUCK,PEA,NUT,STOVE, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST EGG. I LIVE RIGHT IN THE HEART OF THE COAL REGION AND ALWAYS HAVE. IF I WASNT SO TIRED I WOULD GO TAKE PICTURES OF BUCK (I BURN THAT IN A STOKER) AND SOME STOVE COAL (I BURN IN THE PARLOR STOVE)
https://i.postimg.cc/Y0t4QnPm/Garret-
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good read. Thanks for the link.
View Quote
I love ARF. I was fascinated by story as a child. Of course as I got older and more read on the subject it became just another wreck. Ballard also found the Bismark, and that one really caught my imagination.

I was at Mote Marine in school, and he did a live satellite show with us. He seemed like a really interesting guy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow.  I know it's in frigid water, but I'm impressed how well preserved that stuff is.
View Quote
You should see the pencil drawings they found in a safe they hauled up from one of the first class cabins.....
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
THATS CALLED NUT COAL, BIG SHIPS BURN BIG COAL. THATS THE SIZE YOU BURN IN A KITCHEN COAL STOVE. I BURN BIGGER COAL THEN THAT IN OUR PARLOR STOVE. OF COURSE THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD BIG LUMPS AND CRACKED THEM INTO 4 PIECES FOR PROFIT . THE BIG SHIPS AND FOUNDRYS BURN EGG COAL. COAL IS SOLD BY THE SIZE RICE,BUCK,PEA,NUT,STOVE, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST EGG. I LIVE RIGHT IN THE HEART OF THE COAL REGION AND ALWAYS HAVE. IF I WASNT SO TIRED I WOULD GO TAKE PICTURES OF BUCK (I BURN THAT IN A STOKER) AND SOME STOVE COAL (I BURN IN THE PARLOR STOVE)
View Quote
This, this will come in handy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I love ARF. I was fascinated by story as a child. Of course as I got older and more read on the subject it became just another wreck. Ballard also found the Bismark, and that one really caught my imagination.

I was at Mote Marine in school, and he did a live satellite show with us. He seemed like a really interesting guy.
View Quote
Me too. I saw the movie A Night To Remember and got the bug when I was little. I read the book A Night to Remember by Walter Lord dozens of times. I got maps trying to figure out where she might rest.

I was getting ready to go to college when Dr. Ballard found her. That excited me she was found but bummed me out because I dreamed of finding her.

Dr. Ballard killed my childhood dream and caused me to become a miscreant.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Me too. I saw the movie A Night To Remember and got the bug when I was little. I read the book A Night to Remember by Walter Lord dozens of times. I got maps trying to figure out where she might rest.

I was getting ready to go to college when Dr. Ballard found her. That excited me she was found but bummed me out because I dreamed of finding her.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bastard!

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Who the fuck has a parlor in this, or even last, century?

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That bastard!

View Quote
I know right.

I did end up on a submarine just not the type I thought I would.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bastard!

I know right.

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I already have it saved to a text file for future use.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of years it took for the earth to make that lump of coal for you and all the other yahoos to take and destroy the ecology of the wreck
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am sorry Could you find the civil war gold
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of years it took for the earth to make that lump of coal for you and all the other yahoos to take and destroy the ecology of the wreck
View Quote
OK, I'll be that guy and ask: What is this from?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am sorry Could you find the civil war gold
View Quote
I would but I think the Spanish already claimed it.

Edit: This thread is a riot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I think it's from the Iwo Jima thread?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Who the fuck has a parlor in this, or even last, century?

View Quote
This guy
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Coal story, bro.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
ALL CAPS NEVER WINS THE ARGUMENT!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
IF IT'S ON THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN, IT'S FAIR GAME.  SAME THING FOR THE MOON.
View Quote
There is no coal on the moon.

I checked.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
IIRC sea pressure is 44 psi per 100ft. Any bodies on the ship were pulverized and liquefied long before reaching the seabed.

As far as salvage goes we recycle cars that people have died in. We don't leave them on the streets.

If souls are imbedded into the ship and the artifacts, what about all the people that have died at sea and never recovered. Are we swimming in souls when we go to the beach?

We display dead bodies (mummies) in museums, unearth ancient cities and recover lost gold from Spanish galleons. We have raised and salvaged sunken submarines just for info on the enemy.

We even salvage body parts for transplants. We keep urns with loved ones ashes as memorials.

I'm not seeing an issue with some black rocks that may or may not have been from the wreck of the Titanic.

I keep mine as a memorial in my office and as a reminder of man's arrogance. It reminds me that I never know everything and nothing is perfect.

That in my opinion is the Titanic's greatest legacy.
View Quote
Well said....
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Kinda sad that the wreck will be almost completely gone in 15-20 years. Apparently its deteriorating at a very fast rate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
yep, saved.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Kinda sad that the wreck will be almost completely gone in 15-20 years. Apparently its deteriorating at a very fast rate.
View Quote
It is but it will take a lot longer than that before the wreck is completely gone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Scavenging stuff preserves it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Burning more coal does not require a ship to go faster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, according to that article, the Titanic was going really fast because they had to shovel the burning coal into the "furnace" really fast to fight the fire...

https://thei535project.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/20180920_161542.jpg?w=700
Trying to empty that specific storage area from the show I watched about this. Story is probably BS anyway
You got to put that steam somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There are different ways of riveting hulls than having huge rivets protruding especially near or below the waterline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't believe everything you're told sheeple.

The hull of the Titanic was not riveted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/475058/IMG_5309_JPG-898228.jpg
There are different ways of riveting hulls than having huge rivets protruding especially near or below the waterline.
The flush rivet was invented in the 1920's and the blind rivet even later.

Construction on the Titanic began in 1909 and she launched in 1911. Do you have any examples of flush-rivets or blind-rivets from this time period?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Construction on the Titanic began in 1909 and she launched in 1911. Do you have any examples of flush-rivets or blind-rivets from this time period?
View Quote
What's the significance of the hull not being riveted?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damage to sister ship Olympic after being rammed by a cruiser.

https://www.maritimequest.com/liners/olympic_page_5.htm

Looks like rivet holes to me without plainly obvious rivets on surrounding plates.

Kinda coincides with everybody including those that have seen the wreck in person that it was hull plates buckling and rivets failing that did her in.

Larger warships (as in cruisers) did not have welded hulls until after WWI and they had teething problems with the technology then.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Who's law prevents me from privately acquiring (disregard the monetary/logistic problem) "artifacts" from the titanic?

Is the queen going to send the royal marines to storm my house?

Will uncle sam send his cronies to shoot my dog?

Spain going to sue me into poverty?
View Quote
As long as you're not a U.S. citizen, you could do it.  Here is why:

https://www.thejournal.ie/who-owns-the-titanic-and-who-can-dive-at-the-wreck-404369-Apr2012/
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is kinda disturbing IMO. The Titanic is a grave site and should be left alone, there's over 1500 dead people there.
View Quote
Disagree.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
It does if you want to accomplish something other than using the coal - otherwise you could just chuck it over-board - but remember - there was a coal shortage at the time.

They had to turn that coal into miles, in order to make port.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not sure he could have claimed it. The Titanic expedition was actually cover for Woods Hole.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  Searching for the Titanic was a cover for Ballard's actual mission of filming the Scorpion and the Thresher.

He found / filmed both ships ahead of schedule and since they had some more time left in the budget he was allowed to search for the Titanic:

Once Ballard had completed his mission—if time was left—Thunman said, Ballard could do what he wanted, but never gave him explicit permission to search for the Titanic.

Ballard said Navy Secretary John Lehman knew of the plan.

"But the Navy never expected me to find the Titanic, and so when that happened, they got really nervous because of the publicity," Ballard said.
Whoops.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/titanic-nuclear-submarine-scorpion-thresher-ballard/
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm kind of amazed at the casual attitude here on Arfcom toward removing items from the Titanic.

Would you be so cavalier if someone wanted to go souvenir hunting on the USS Arizona?
View Quote
Wreck of the Arizona is a WAR grave in U.S. territorial waters on a Navy base.  Kinda different.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's cool I remember the Titanic attraction selling them in the gift shop a while back.
View Quote
I never saw that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Nut coal is such great copypasta
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Who's law prevents me from privately acquiring (disregard the monetary/logistic problem) "artifacts" from the titanic?

Is the queen going to send the royal marines to storm my house?

Will uncle sam send his cronies to shoot my dog?

Spain going to sue me into poverty?
View Quote
A company is "salvor in possession" of the wreckage of the Titanic - at least in the jurisdiction of the United States.

It is not "illegal" to take relics, but for someone subject to the jurisdiction of the United states - that would be citizens , or companies or individuals operating in the United States - the company's permission would be needed first, otherwise it is theft.  The company is not compelled to grant such permission.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I guess I do not understand your premise with the Titanic. It could have been Dr. Robert Ballard's wreck, he did not do it. I personally do not want anything off it. Now that civil war gold in lake Michigan?

We were manipulating Japans markets and stopped oil to their island. We knew what was coming too.
View Quote
Not to mention the Flying Tigers.  And sinking a Jap sub before the PH attack.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top