Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
By definition, no TV show or film with Bernard Fox in it can truly be bad.

My favorite part of Titanic: when the fat guy with the computer explains how the ship sank.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 2:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I love the doucmentry by James Cameron called Ghosts of the Abyss where they go to the wreck and use tiny fiber optically controlled ROVs to explore deep within the wreck

The Turkish Baths

State room, with clock still on mantle

Grand Staircase
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The me 20 years ago liked it.

The me now can hardly watch 3 min of any movie now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@CJan_NH

OMG that is hilarious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The worst thing about that movie was that song.

That damned song.

This version is much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G44xTr8D_bw
@CJan_NH

OMG that is hilarious.
I was smiling from the start, 3:20 was a literal LOL moment
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:32:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pg-13 boobs!
View Quote
There is no page 13 only ZUUL
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought the search was a cover for recovering some sunken Russian sub or something.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cameron’s talent is in knowing what level of writing appeals to the largest audience.

He would never take on a project like Arrival or Prometheus. With Cameron, you know you’re in for a straightforward story with plenty of
cliches (but they’ll be well done), low sophistication, but well-directed action sequences.

He straddles ingeniously between the Stanley Kubrick crowd and the Michael Bay crowd, and it has served him well.
View Quote
i'd put that a different way.  i think cameron writes movies that he would want to see.  he was a truck driver, and what do you do at 4AM when you're on that interminable stretch of I-70 between salina and denver?  you make movies in your head.  "it would be so cool if there was a movie about ______."  and i think that his "so cool if" tracks very well with the moviegoing population.

you're spot on regarding the well-done cliches.  a movie cliche becomes so because it is effective, and cameron is a virtuoso at putting certain tropes to good effect.  he's a great story architect.  nothing complex--almost the simplicity of myth, like a louis l'amour or ursula le guin story.  a truck driver's lean and spare sense of story.

where his past really shows is in his dialogue.  cameron is fantastic at writing roughnecks doing roughneck things.  the crew of the sulaco.  reese the thoughtful vet.  bud the driller.  even colonel quarich in an otherwise godawful script.  but he simply can't do anything else.  compare t2 sarah connor's sparse (almost eastwoodian) roughneck dialogue with the ridiculously cliche girlie-girl crap he wrote for her in the original.  the difference is that he can imagine what a PTSD-but-cool warrior woman might say, but there is nothing in his imagination capable of telling him what a normal human woman might say in a normal human situation.

at the end of the day, cameron is jack on the titanic--a gifted and talented street urchin who doesn't understand what the people in first class are saying, or why they're saying it.  so it's no surprise that he can't write it.

Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"I'll never let you go".... followed by her letting him go.

Titanic Kate Winslet is best Kate Winslet.

https://i.imgur.com/MMmf79w.jpg
View Quote
This is the only reason I’ll watch that movie. Fuck she’s hot in it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Damnit! I’ll be in my bunk the rest of the day
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought the search was a cover for recovering some sunken Russian sub or something.
View Quote
Two of our own subs that were lost. Once they were found/documented, he used the remaining time to search for the Titanic.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cameron’s talent is in knowing what level of writing appeals to the largest audience.

He would never take on a project like Arrival or Prometheus. With Cameron, you know you’re in for a straightforward story with plenty of
cliches (but they’ll be well done), low sophistication, but well-directed action sequences.

He straddles ingeniously between the Stanley Kubrick crowd and the Michael Bay crowd, and it has served him well.
View Quote
Sir, you nailed exactly what I came to post.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top