Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I fucking love Tool
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Love tool
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
My streak for seeing Tool live for every album they ever released was broken in April 2020 when their Miami show got canceled due to the Shanghai Shivers.

I'm hoping I'll get another crack at maintaining my streak if/when concerts are ever a thing again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Fun fact. Maynard sings from the rear of the stage just so he can watch Danny Carey play.  And he keeps grapes back there for after the show.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Great band.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great band.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great band.
View Quote

Indeed
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
OP was a nice person today.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Tool makes good music
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My streak for seeing Tool live for every album they ever released was broken in April 2020 when their Miami show got canceled due to the Shanghai Shivers.

I'm hoping I'll get another crack at maintaining my streak if/when concerts are ever a thing again.
View Quote

I am 61 years old, and have been a fan of Tool for half of my life. (A fact that I just came to realize as I typed that).

Last year (just before covid) my wife bought our son plane tickets to come visit during his birthday.  My son buys Tool tickets during the wait.

Well, birthday is getting closer and our son realizes the concert is during his visit to FL.

Our son calls his mom and mentions that he can sell his tickets. I call my son and tell him “mom is here every day”, go see Tool. He got to visit 7 months later, at Christmas.

There was no refund on his air fare. I sucked it up and paid for his air fare at Christmas too. I would do it again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am 61 years old, and have been a fan of Tool for half of my life. (A fact that I just came to realize as I typed that).

Last year (just before covid) my wife bought our son plane tickets to come visit during his birthday.  My son buys Tool tickets during the wait.

Well, birthday is getting closer and our son realizes the concert is during his visit to FL.

Our son calls his mom and mentions that he can sell his tickets. I call my son and tell him "mom is here every day", go see Tool. He got to visit 7 months later, at Christmas.

There was no refund on his air fare. I sucked it up and paid for his air fare at Christmas too. I would do it again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our son calls his mom and mentions that he can sell his tickets. I call my son and tell him "mom is here every day", go see Tool. He got to visit 7 months later, at Christmas.

Had your son ever seen them before?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was his first time seeing them perform. The band is actually older than he is.

My son is an incredible guitar player and Tool has been a huge influence on his playing. Other than Tool, his other influencers are mostly Geddy Lee, and Eddie Van Halen. I heard him struggle through their music for what seemed like eternity.

He mostly plays death metal, which I am a bit past at my age, but he definitely has the chops.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#14]
My favorite band.

I've been able to catch them live 3 times.  Saw A Perfect Circle in Nashville once.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I've seen them twice. Fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This was his first time seeing them perform. The band is actually older than he is.

My son is an incredible guitar player and Tool has been a huge influence on his playing. Other than Tool, his other influencers are mostly Geddy Lee, and Eddie Van Halen. I heard him struggle through their music for what seemed like eternity.

He mostly plays death metal, which I am a bit past at my age, but he definitely has the chops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you absolutely did the right thing.

Tool live isn't "just another concert". They are, without question, the most amazing live act I've ever seen. I'd be willing to bet your son described the aftermath as having to pick his jaw up off the floor in awe of what he experienced. And as a musician himself (which I'm not), even more so. Every member of that band is a prodigy level musician. Their live shows make their studio work (which is phenomenal) look like simple musical calisthenics by comparison.

They're that good.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#17]
They were ok.

Don’t know why everyone says they’re great live. Maynard was just a shadow at the back of the stage, and bass/guitar just stood there playing the whole time. Stage presence sucked. Music was as if I was playing the CD, very accurate I guess.

NIN rocked my fucking face off. Nobody can hold a candle to them live.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OST
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They were ok.

Don't know why everyone says they're great live. Maynard was just a shadow at the back of the stage, and bass/guitar just stood there playing the whole time. Stage presence sucked. Music was as if I was playing the CD, very accurate I guess.

View Quote

If you what theater and theatrics, you'd make a great Iron Maiden fan.

I've seen Tool after every album they've ever made and not once would I describe any show remotely that way. The guys definitely don't jump around the stage.but then again, I'm not there for their dancing ability. You got a very, very rare dud apparently. Stunning odds, but you managed it. Seen NIN twice. Amazing live band. Not in the same league as Tool IMO but definitely in the same conversation.

If your familiar with the bands music and know the studio version of "Push It", this is a great example of exactly how unlike their studio stuff can be when played live. Not "kinda different". It's like two entirely different songs.

Tool_ Pushit live (only audio with lyrics. Click more options )_HQ

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Gotta love Tool, Perfect Circle and Pucifer.  All great bands.  Plus Carry is the best drummer IMO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was one of the luckys and saw them Nov 14th td garden Boston.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They were ok.

Don’t know why everyone says they’re great live. Maynard was just a shadow at the back of the stage, and bass/guitar just stood there playing the whole time. Stage presence sucked. Music was as if I was playing the CD, very accurate I guess.

View Quote

I see somebody never had the chance to watch Rush perform.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fun fact. Maynard sings from the rear of the stage just so he can watch Danny Carey play.  And he keeps grapes back there for after the show.
View Quote

Maynard sings from the back because he wants the other guys to get more of the attention. He also has mellowed a lot and isn't as wild on stage as he used to be. He also can't take the super bright lights anymore.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I fucking love Tool
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tool live isn't "just another concert". They are, without question, the most amazing live act I've ever seen. I'd be willing to bet your son described the aftermath as having to pick his jaw up off the floor in awe of what he experienced. And as a musician himself (which I'm not), even more so. Every member of that band is a prodigy level musician. Their live shows make their studio work (which is phenomenal) look like simple musical calisthenics by comparison.

They're that good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're that good.

Came to post something like this but you did, and it was better than what I could've come up with.

And they are that good, you're absolutely correct.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep.

There's Tool and then, there's everybody else.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I fucking love Tool
View Quote

My wife surprised me for my birthday and got Tool tickets in Las Vegas January 2020, best concert I have even seen.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maynard sings from the back because he wants the other guys to get more of the attention. He also has mellowed a lot and isn't as wild on stage as he used to be. He also can't take the super bright lights anymore.
View Quote
Maynard used to be really wild on stage.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They're that good.
View Quote

Well said.
Fun fact-
Me and Maynard share a birthday.

Seen them 3 times now. I'll see them every chance I get.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes he was..the Opiate/Undertow era was a whole different Maynard..and in many respects a whole different band.

Few bands have evolved to such an amazing extent as Tool has. As a matter of fact I can't think of another that matches them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty sure his legs are all fucked up now too - from stomping around. He talked about it on Rogan a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Been a fan for 25 years or so.  They are the only band that I can listen to each album all the way through without skipping a track.  I can do the same with all of APC's albums.  Puscifer, not quite, but pretty close.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pretty sure his legs are all fucked up now too - from stomping around. He talked about it on Rogan a few years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's had at least one hip replaced because of his stage performance.

And yes, he was a wild man back in the day. Go on YouTube and look up any of the 90s Era shows. 94 Santa Cruz, 96 Glass House in Pomona, hell 92 JC Dobbs even. All incredible shows.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I have seen Tool live three times.

The best was at the 9:30 Club in D.C. circa 1997. That's a small venue and they were amazing. Maynard did his thing to the hilt.

Now you don't even know he's there and he might as well be phoning it in. The rest of the band is awesome though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They're that good.
View Quote

You are correct, they are that good. I have been understanding that for 30+ years. I got comments from the wife about telling him to blow her off and go experience something that may not ever be again.

Funny thing was I had recently found an old Tool hat he misplaced in jr high. He was stoked when his OG Tool swag showed up in the mail before the show.

All I got was a tshirt from the Indy show.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#37]
How many hear knew that Maynard has had covid twice now?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I see somebody never had the chance to watch Rush perform.
View Quote

Geriatric lounge is that way. --------->

The nurse will be along shortly with your Metamucil.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Seen Tool twice. First time In Indianapolis, three days before 9/11.

Then 2020 in Nashville, about a month before the pandemic shutdown started.  The Nashville show was amazing. Richie Faulkner from Judas Priest jammed with Adam Jones during the guitar/bass portion of Jambi.

Here’s Tom with the weather.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Technically a great band of talented guys, but droll and boring music.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#41]
He had a lot to say
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Is there any truth to the story I heard on how the band found Maynard?

One of the other band members heard Maynard yelling at someone in his apartment complex and was so impressed with his voice that he asked him to audition.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Great band.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#44]
my first introduction to a new band by a friend of mine... wayyy back in another lifetime.. winner!
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#45]
If you like Tool, you should feel bad about yourself and be embarrassed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#46]
A minute in and there's Danny wearing a shirt comparing republicans to nazis
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Tool - No Quarter (FULL HD)
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Just got this.

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Great Tool video…skip to about 2:45 for when the fun starts

Tool- Pushit /The Fan Incident Part 1
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Good band but.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top