BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd think a tether would be a basic safety feature.
View Quote

12,000 feet of wire line ain’t cheap
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
$250k a seat.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://defencehub.live/attachments/20220406_133915-jpg.42214/

We seem to have a wide variety of sonobouys. I don't know if they work well for this purpose.
View Quote

Not that I know for sure our capabilities but for comparison this thing operated at several times the average published crush depth of traditional military submarines. From public data and declassified loss reports military sub crush depth is probably somewhere ballpark 2500-3000 feet. Titanic is at 12,500.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The sub takes 8 hours to descend to 2.5 miles of depth.
The sub lost contact at 1 hour and 45 minutes.
View Quote

I think that can rule out all the crashing into the Titanic theories. They still had 6 hours of sinking to do before getting to the bottom.
Which means that they were only about 25% of the expected depth that the sub can reach to get to the bottom, so it should have a smaller chance of mechanical failure due to pressure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
'There's no switches and things to bump into, we have one button to turn it on.

'Everything else is done with touch screens and computers

Well there's your problem. Probably sitting on the ocean floor in total darkness with no power or comms.
View Quote

No fucking way would I get into a sub diving miles down that was 100% electronic controlled.  

Blue screen of death indeed….
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Contact with the submersible was lost about one hour and 45 minutes into the vessel's dive, the US coast guard said.
View Quote
It wasn't anywhere near the bottom when it was lost. It wasn't even 25% of the trip down to the bottom. But that's still like 3,000 feet. Public Seawolf test depth is 1600' for reference.

He added that because the passengers are sealed inside the vessel by bolts applied from the outside, "there's no way to escape, even if you rise to the surface by yourself. You cannot get out of the sub without a crew on the outside letting you out."
View Quote
Either that thing went straight down or it's stuck under the surface.

Either way that is the stuff of nightmare fuel.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65953872
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If they lost power but the structure was not breached, can you imagine the hell in that thing when they have hours to contemplate their certain death from suffocation?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's a gravesite of some 1500 people. The ne plus ultra of ghost ships. I wonder if it's a cursed ship, and now a cursed location.

People don't dare approach the USS Arizona for sport. The souls lost on the Titanic should be respected the same way.

The extreme danger of actually doing this makes it very easy for the Titanic to kill again.
View Quote

Shocked this hasn’t happened before given the fly by night scheister companies that run these charters and pick the debris field clean.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Here the CBS Sunday Morning feature they did on the company.

"This experimental vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body, and could result in physical injury, emotional trauma, or death."

Seeing the failures of titanium & carbon fiber suppressors, I sure wouldn't want to trust my life to a sub that has no pressure vessel certification constructed of the same materials.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It wasn't anywhere near the bottom when it was lost. It wasn't even 25% of the trip down to the bottom. But that's still like 3,000 feet. Public Seawolf test depth is 1600' for reference.
Either that thing went straight down or it's stuck under the surface.

Either way that is the stuff of nightmare fuel.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65953872
View Quote

If it was 9000' from the bottom and started gliding down, it could have went several *miles* in most any direction before hitting bottom.

Yikes.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not sure if I had the money I would be brave enough to take that trip.

It’s crushing for all those involved.
View Quote

Eh, I might but I’d have someone I trusted go over all maintenance logs and do some checking independently. Whoever this company is, this will likely bankrupt them.

Sucks but at least it would be quick (assuming they and the sub were crushed.)
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If they lost power but the structure was not breached, can you imagine the hell in that thing when they have hours to contemplate their certain death from suffocation?
View Quote

Especially if they are bobbing on the surface only inches from fresh air.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If I had the money I would do it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Multiple C-130 aircraft are now assisting in the aerial search for the vessel, which has not been heard from since Sunday morning

In addition to the C-130s, multiple Poseidon P-8 Boeing aircraft (shown above) have also been deployed and will drop sonar buoys in the water in an effort to detect any sound

The Polar Prince is the expedition ship used to take tourists from Newfoundland out to the wreckage site. The sub is deployed once out at sea

Link
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/19/21/72306589-12210873-image-a-40_1687207487905.jpg

Multiple C-130 aircraft are now assisting in the aerial search for the vessel, which has not been heard from since Sunday morning

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/19/21/72306609-12210873-image-a-41_1687207548532.jpg

In addition to the C-130s, multiple Poseidon P-8 Boeing aircraft (shown above) have also been deployed and will drop sonar buoys in the water in an effort to detect any sound

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/19/17/72298941-12210873-image-a-8_1687192369437.jpg

The Polar Prince is the expedition ship used to take tourists from Newfoundland out to the wreckage site. The sub is deployed once out at sea

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/19/16/72297445-12210873-image-a-1_1687187855727.jpg

Link
View Quote

Who is paying for all of that?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Training sir!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Sub missing at Titanic wreck site: Boston-based Coast Guard admiral coordinating search
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would think surface radar, thermal on a plane, or some other device would pick it up. I don't think it would move very fast horizontally even if the throttles got stuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are assuming (unless I missed a press release) that they are down there.  What if they did surface but are lost?  Big ocean and it would only require the EPIRB might be damaged or destroyed.

I would think surface radar, thermal on a plane, or some other device would pick it up. I don't think it would move very fast horizontally even if the throttles got stuck.
I was thinking that it had a power failure.  Just getting tossed about.  I'm not sure how well it would show up on the surface using thermal.  Might be just as cold as the water by the time aircraft get there?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Given the thickness and materials involved with the hull, I'd think that if they could keep their wits about them, they could survive the temperatures. The water is going to be ~33-35 degrees F. The air won't get any colder than that. Given a group of 5 people that can cooperate with each other, and all of them wearing a decent layer of clothing, and a few basic emergency blankets, they'd be fine.

ETA: I mean fine w/rt temperature. Obviously, other factors are still in play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they lose power, though, how long before they freeze?

Given the thickness and materials involved with the hull, I'd think that if they could keep their wits about them, they could survive the temperatures. The water is going to be ~33-35 degrees F. The air won't get any colder than that. Given a group of 5 people that can cooperate with each other, and all of them wearing a decent layer of clothing, and a few basic emergency blankets, they'd be fine.

ETA: I mean fine w/rt temperature. Obviously, other factors are still in play.

Master Chef would make a great heat sink.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looking at how they launch the thing, they could also be bobbing around anywhere at -20 feet with no nav and no coms, maybe worse off than being on the bottom if no one can find them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are assuming (unless I missed a press release) that they are down there.  What if they did surface but are lost?  Big ocean and it would only require the EPIRB might be damaged or destroyed.

Looking at how they launch the thing, they could also be bobbing around anywhere at -20 feet with no nav and no coms, maybe worse off than being on the bottom if no one can find them.
Good point.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
The ghosts will welcome them.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Admiral at press conference said an aerial search is ongoing for that reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admiral at press conference said an aerial search is ongoing for that reason.
Ah...thanks.  I missed the conference.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyone I think.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

all of us
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If it was 9000' from the bottom and started gliding down, it could have went several *miles* in most any direction before hitting bottom.

Yikes.

View Quote

Yep. They may or may not ever be found. And if they do it’s gonna be by some guy with ROV’s and navy funding who spends a month searching the ocean bottom for miles in all directions
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Jfc, stuff of nightmares. If near the surface can't certain .mil aircraft detect it?
View Quote

You would think they would have a way of locating it. Dye release, etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

12,000 feet of wire line ain't cheap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'd think a tether would be a basic safety feature.

12,000 feet of wire line ain't cheap
Cheaper than losing a sub.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep. They may or may not ever be found. And if they do it’s gonna be by some guy with ROV’s and navy funding who spends a month searching the ocean bottom for miles in all directions
View Quote

Deep submersible drone swarm using a composite grid could probably find it quickly if such a thing existed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Active sonar search might be useful then.

It's looking like a stunning lack of contingency planning by this operation.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Eh, I might but I’d have someone I trusted go over all maintenance logs and do some checking independently. Whoever this company is, this will likely bankrupt them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure if I had the money I would be brave enough to take that trip.

It’s crushing for all those involved.

People probably don't think it's any more dangerous than going on the 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea ride at Disneyland.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
With Gilligan and the skipper too, the millionaire and his wife, the movie star and the rest are here on the sunken submarine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#32]
[/url]
Airplane Movie Counter Point clip
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P-8's APS-154 surface search radar and FLIR if equipped.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Ghostbusters 2 Titanic Scene
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yikes.

View Quote

With no beacon letting the support vessel know where the fuck it is...  Normalization of variance, or whatever the term of art was from the Challenger disaster.  People got away with flouting procedures and prudence often enough that they recalibrated their sense of risk.

Akin to that scuba boat tragedy off California, where they were charging a bunch of lithium batteries (necessary for things like dive lights) on a very much inflammable ship, with a tiny trap door to get topside from berthing for 30+ divers, and a less than zealous fire watch.  Totally fine, normal, and fun.  Until it wasn't.

Equaled 34 cooked and smothered people.

I imagine a similar dynamic in action here with this submersible company's operations.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.slashgear.com/img/gallery/xbox-360s-red-ring-of-death-cost-microsoft-1-billion/intro-import.jpg

If you've owned an XBox - you know the Red Ring of Death

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

We grew two gamers. I've dealt with the ROD many times over the years. Heck, we've still got a tote full of chasis, drives, and all manner of components from cannibalizing machines. Fuck the Ring of Death
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#37]
They are now permanent fixtures.  Where will never know?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How much is the rescue effort gonna cost the company ?
View Quote

I'd say that company is likely out of business at this point.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great if they're broaching.  How much heat sig are they putting out adrift with engines off?  DIFAR field in active mode?  Surface capture going to interfere much with any echoes from the titanium spheres?

Although, and I've never served, so I get to run my mouth and ask these questions, AIUI, sonar really detects the interface between two different materials, like between steel and air or steel and water.  How is it working on a solid 4 inch hunk of titanium?  Different enough echo to get tossed by the signal filters, whereas a 1/2 inch or whatever hunk before air would echo more readily?  Don't have any idea; just guessing here.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Sheesh. Good luck to those folks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#41]
bloop gotem (or chthullu)

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#43]
So would you increase your survival chances by beating to death all the other passengers or would the fight use up the remaining oxygen quicker?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

12,000 feet of wire line ain’t cheap
View Quote

12000ft of 1/2" steel rope runs about $25k.
Pretty small investment considering these folks are forking over 10 times that each to die slowly of hypothermia and asphyxiation in a claustrophobic meat locker
Full of human effluent and regret.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Search a little past the known time they have oxygen for. After that shut it down and let some private company look for it if they want on their own dime.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Great if they're broaching.  How much heat sig are they putting out adrift with engines off?  DIFAR field in active mode?  Surface capture going to interfere much with any echoes from the titanium spheres?

Although, and I've never served, so I get to run my mouth and ask these questions, AIUI, sonar really detects the interface between two different materials, like between steel and air or steel and water.  How is it working on a solid 4 inch hunk of titanium?  Different enough echo to get tossed by the signal filters, whereas a 1/2 inch or whatever hunk before air would echo more readily?  Don't have any idea; just guessing here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its propulsion is all electric. Unless the people onboard are regularly banging on stuff, I don't imagine passive sonar is going to be of much use. Active sonar or, if it's on the surface and drifting, radar will find it. If it imploded, maybe an ROV with side scan sonar in the future.

CNN had some retired Navy Captain on talking about the search, though it sounded like her expertise was in finding lost aircraft. No discussion on how to recover it IF they find it before the life support systems fail.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We grew two gamers. I've dealt with the ROD many times over the years. Heck, we've still got a tote full of chasis, drives, and all manner of components from cannibalizing machines. Fuck the Ring of Death
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.slashgear.com/img/gallery/xbox-360s-red-ring-of-death-cost-microsoft-1-billion/intro-import.jpg

Bigger_Hammer

Anyone think to take an extra battery for the “modified playstation controller”? Or an extra controller. I know mine shits the bed after relatively short time gaming or watching youtube.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Anyone think to take an extra battery for the “modified playstation controller”? Or an extra controller. I know mine shits the bed after relatively short time gaming or watching youtube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

In the video, the owner/operator said they carry multiple controllers on board.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Story hits home to me, as I actually looked at Oceangate when considering diving the wreck myself.  It became financially impossible, however.  The trip used to be like $60k, but they’ve ramped that price up quite a bit over the last decade or so.

I think they’ve got a chance, but the only chance they’ve got is a tether and winching them back up.  I think it’s relatively safe to assume that they did their homework with regard to the CO2 poisoning when they were coming up with that 4 day oxygen supply.  Given the large presence of rescue vessels on site and moving that direction, I suspect that they haven’t heard an implosion.  That implies one of four possibilities, IMO:

1).  The oxygen wasn’t set up properly to begin with (loaded it short) and they went hypoxic and are already gone.  The sub is probably just sitting down there with them dead on board.

2).  Major systems failure impeding their ability to surface.  Given the design of the sub running on all computers, that would seem to be possible though I’m not sure too much about the specifics.

3).  They got hung up on something.  This seems unlikely; they would likely have alerted the ship of it.  

4).  Most unlikely, they surfaced but are just below the surface and can’t be seen and they don’t have comms.  And they can’t open the hatch.  That’s what all the ships and aircraft are looking for.

For those that don’t know too much about this, there aren’t that many manned submersibles that can safely reach that depth and return.  I’m not sure what the exact number is, but I suspect it’s less than 15 in the world.

I find it quite surprising that Oceangate doesn’t have two of them.  They have two other subs, but those aren’t rated for this depth.  I’m not sure what their recovery/emergency procedures call for in this situation “on paper”, but a second sub would certainly have been something I expected.  

Not that you can transfer passengers from one to another.  But another sub could get you eye’s on the missing one and maybe attach a tether.

The trouble is that the subs that ARE out there (I think Alvin might still be at Woodshole) are still pretty heavy.  You can’t get any of them out there fast enough.  Can’t even air-lift one.  If you could get Alvin out there, you could have a three-person team at the wreck in under 24 hours.  But it’s not possible, at least as far as I know.  Even a really fast naval ship would struggle to load and get there in the time allotted.

Another problem is that they probably don’t know where her last position was.  I mean, unless you put a camera on the sub, there is SO much wreckage and metal down there, I don’t think you could identify it with sonar or anything else.  So even if they get a remote tethered robot down there to start searching, they’ll have to scour a LOT of area to even find it (or pieces of it).

Really, if they aren’t already dead, the thing that is going to doom them is not having the assets needed on site to actually formulate a realistic rescue.  If they had a second sub, maybe it could be done.  If they had the right tethered robot, maybe they could attach a winch line.  If they have neither, the odds of them getting them there in time is pretty low imo.

No matter what happens here, this is probably the end of diving it at least as far as tourism is concerned.  It’s apparent to me that Oceangate (from what I can tell) is woefully unprepared for this eventuality.
View Quote

Nice post

There's been a couple of others that I haven't acknowledged.

In summary, tourism to the Titanic is done.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top