Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2022 3:00:48 AM EDT
Subaru Launch Control: Goodwood Festival of Speed 2022

Welcome to Hoonigan and Subaru Motorsports’ latest one-off: a modified Subaru GL Wagon set to make a flying debut in the next instalment of Gymkhana. Travis Pastrana of course, takes over helmsmith duties from Ken Block, a man so allergic to straight lines he travels everywhere sideways.

It’s called The Family Huckster, which suggests it’s a gentle situational comedy about a family of plucky but downtrodden traders. It’s powered by an 862bhp engine and gets an active rear wing, which suggests you might want to get the family an Uber.

About the flying bit. “The GL Wagon is an iconic Subaru that I thought would be pretty rad to see flying through the air,” explains Pastrana. The team took a 1983 GL Wagon – one of the most unassuming family boxes available in the Eighties – and slotted in a flat-four Scooby motor modified to punch out that incredible horsepower figure.

Then comes a sequential six-speed gearbox, long-travel WRC-spec suspension and a new diff package from Pastrana’s Mt Washington Hill Climb run. The drivetrain is packed inside a tubular spaceframe shod entirely in carbon fibre body panels.

Added to this carbon fibre suit are a few concessions to aerodynamics, including front and rear hydraulic aero flaps on the arches, a carbon fibre roof rack designed to direct air into a roof-mounted NACA duct, and as mentioned, an electro-pneumatically controlled active rear wing.
View Quote

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/modified/862bhp-modified-subaru-gl-wagon-next-gymkhana-star

I love these custom Gymkhana builds, where they completely throw out any rule book and just make the coolest street monsters they can imagine, often based on historic classic models completely re-engineered with modern drivetrains and aerodynamics.

For a reminder, here’s the entire family of custom Gymkhana builds starting with the one that really defined the category:

Ken Block’s Hoonicorn Mustang

Ken Block’s Hoonitruck F-150

Travis Pastrana’s WRX STI

Rob Dahm’s 4-rotor AWD RX-7

Vaughn Gittin Jr’s Mach-E 1400

Ken Block’s Audi S1 Quattro Hoonitron

Ken Block’s Hoonipigasus Porsche

Some day when I finally have enough money to buy a supercar, I’m not buying a Lamborghini or Ferrari or any other production supercar. I’m spending that money to build my own version of one of these monsters
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat!

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
That's so sexy
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Totally agree on your last part. If I had big money to spend, something amazing would get built.

A custom one of a kind beast would be way more interesting than a factory supercar.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Totally agree on your last part. If I had big money to spend, something amazing would get built.

A custom one of a kind beast would be way more interesting than a factory supercar.
View Quote

A lot more capable too, if built right
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
BRCC sponsors Travis Pastrana?!
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
A 1983 Subaru GL was my first car.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
When your car needs air brakes, it might be time to reconsider what you're doing and update your life insurance.

BRCC sponsorship...

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I just saw this car in person last weekend at the crandon brushruns. The redbull pro2 and pro4 championships. I noticed the gay brcc sponsorship right away.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice car, cant wait for the 20 year old discount tire employees in my area to make clones and am especially excited to hear their exhaust systems at 3am.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree but I'm a truck/SUV guy over cars. I want something along a Mega Raptor Suburban.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I like it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top