Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 4/7/2024 6:10:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman]
Edit: If this does get confirmed as a real american chestnut, I'll do a separate thread for nut requests in the fall. I don't want to start a list now given I don't know for certain what I have, and it will be months before I have nuts to send.
edit 2: Looks like I probably do have an American chestnut, with my in-laws next door having two big European chestnuts. Any nuts would grow be a hybrid of the two because of cross pollination. Something to keep in mind)

I've been clearing a clump of brush on our property that is horribly overgrown with poison ivy and other vines. Nasty stuff.

In the center of it is a very big and half dead tree.

This weekend I finally cleared away enough brush to get to the tree, and realized it is a very big and old chestnut. Several limbs are dead, but the old fella is still alive and healthy enough to be cranking out nuts (the ground around it is littered with them and there are a few stragglers still on branches).

Tree with my six year old son for scale. Definitely an old tree.

Attachment Attached File

I am wondering if it is a surviving American chestnut for three reasons.

1) the leaves seem closer to that (though hard to tell since they are dry and crumbling). Definitely not any of the asian chestnuts. The spikes on the edges of the leaves are more hooked / inward curving than the internet says I'd see on a European.

Attachment Attached File

2) age and location. This tree is in the middle of a field that has been farmed since the 1890s. My in-laws have been farming it for four generations. My FiL remembers the tree as large and mature when he was a young boy, and he's in his late 60's. The guess is it is well over 100 years old, so predating Chestnut Blight wiping out almost all the chestnuts. I really would not expect fairly poor farmers in rural PA to obtain and plant a european chestnut in the middle of their field at a time when american chestnuts were still everywhere.

3) It's not a healthy tree and from the number of long dead branches, it's been struggling for decades. There are signs of what my absolutely-not-an-expert eye kind of thinks of as blight damage. My guess is this old fella has been fighting blight for a very long time and hasn't lost yet.

Reddish cracking on some of the newer growth:

Attachment Attached File

So I know very little about trees - a boy scout I ain't - what does Arf think?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
subbed for updates.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Good post, followed
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Subscribed for future awesomeness.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Ost.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It sure looks like American Chestnut.  I bet the original tree was huge.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mauritius] [#6]
Found this. They can help with identification and such.

https://tacf.org/
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
That is pretty cool.  Let us know if its confirmed to be an American chestnut tree.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Cut it down and make $$$
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
It may very well be an American, there are still millions out there. Generally they don't survive to maturity tho. You can still aquire American Chestnuts as part of different projects.

Unfortunately the project to develop a blight resistant American Chestnut just failed at the end of last year. Rather than a hybrid, they took a true American Chestnut and inserted a wheat gene that detoxifies the oxalic acid the blight produces. Unfortunately it turns out they made a mix up, probably 10 years ago, and the tree they started with wasn't the right tree.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Under a spreading chestnut-tree
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Following.

Either way it’s pretty cool the family has kept the land all these years.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:
It sure looks like American Chestnut.  I bet the original tree was huge.  

View Quote

From what my FiL says, it might have always been multiple trunks splitting out from the base. It's how he remembers it 60+ years ago, and it was pretty big then.

Eager to get a look at fresh leaves in a month or so
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#13]
In for the answer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Chestnut is a beautiful wood.  I have a c1900 bookcase with glass doors made of Chestnut.  It's a family piece that survived a fire.  Rehabbed it and it looks great.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you have any pictures of the nuts?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Cypselus:
View Quote

I do.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Scrote:

I do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I do.

same
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagged for pictures of OP’s nuts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
It looks just like the sweet chestnut tree that I had, but I'm no expert. I'd bet @FredMan would know.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: arowneragain] [#21]
@Fredman

Sigh beat by five second.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#22]
That's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you able to make clones of that tree before something happens to it?
Cool thread OP.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag, a surviving American chestnut would be cool.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
It may very well be an American, there are still millions out there. Generally they don't survive to maturity tho. You can still aquire American Chestnuts as part of different projects.

Unfortunately the project to develop a blight resistant American Chestnut just failed at the end of last year. Rather than a hybrid, they took a true American Chestnut and inserted a wheat gene that detoxifies the oxalic acid the blight produces. Unfortunately it turns out they made a mix up, probably 10 years ago, and the tree they started with wasn't the right tree.
View Quote

Sounds like a nice little scam
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]
It’s an American Chestnut for sure. I’ve got a few like that on a property in Georgia. They aren’t exactly rare but not nearly as common as most American species.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a chestnut orchard and I could not say for sure if it American Chestnut or not.
We have alot of very old chestnut trees around here and they are mostly Chinese or European but there is a few Americans.
There is a registry of American Chestnut trees and most survivors are in that registry. If it turns out to be American they will ask you to get it in the registry but alot of people don't because they don't want strangers wandering around their property. You will have to make a decision.
For reference these leaves are Chinse hybrids in my orchard.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
That's pretty awesome.
View Quote

Damn right it is.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#29]
It would really suck if poison ivy was the savior of that tree and you cut it all down.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#30]
It gets more interesting.

My FiL came by a bit ago to drop off my son (who was spending some time helping him this afternoon).

Mentioned that I do see signs of blight on that tree, which is a shame. He said at least the other two are healthy.

Other two?

Turns out there are two slightly younger, but still big, chestnuts on his side of the old farm.

Went to check them out. Big (six year old again for scale) and no sign of blight.

Attachment Attached File

Nuts for those who asked.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Subscribed for resolution.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:

Not really
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#33]
OST
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#34]
Originally Posted By PikeSlayer:
Cut it down and make $$$
View Quote

Some asshole saw mine (about 8" diameter trunk) and decided to do just that a couple of years ago.
OP, that is cool as hell! The chestnut people who track them will be happy to hear about it!

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By governmentman:
It gets more interesting.

My FiL came by a bit ago to drop off my son (who was spending some time helping him this afternoon).

Mentioned that I do see signs of blight on that tree, which is a shame. He said at least the other two are healthy.

Other two?

Turns out there are two slightly younger, but still big, chestnuts on his side of the old farm.

Went to check them out. Big (six year old again for scale) and no sign of blight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329177/IMG20240407190024_-_Copy_jpg-3181488.JPG

Nuts for those who asked.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329177/IMG20240407185951_-_Copy_jpg-3181490.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Holy shit that is a massive poison ivy vine
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sandblaster:
Good post, followed
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#38]
This is cool. If it’s an American chestnut producing you should email the researchers. I’m sure they would like to get more genetic material of surviving chestnut trees. Especially those that have resisted the blight.

I was checking my land last summer and found an American Elm that is thriving and didn’t get the Dutch Elm disease. It’s producing lots of offspring that are surviving too. I spoke with one of the Forest Service guys and he said eventually the American Elm will return and be resistant to DED. Just going to take several generations.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Can anything be done for the blight?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Co worker of mine has one on his place  lookout mtn ga   local college groups  come and check it out
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mississippiflush:
Holy shit that is a massive poison ivy vine
View Quote

Tree was absolutely getting murdered by it. I cut half a dozen that were thicker than my wrist. It was bad enough that I wonder which was killing it more limbs , the blight or getting choked out by ivy
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#43]
If it is American, there is a good chance that it died eons ago and those are the suckers that popped out of the trunk and reached some maturity.

And that is some heinous poison ivy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

Definitely contact this group, there might be interest in your tree, especially if it's producing nuts.

I'd love a bag of viable nuts to plant here, they'd look great with my burr oaks.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By Mauritius:
Found this. They can help with identification and such.

https://tacf.org/

Definitely contact this group, there might be interest in your tree, especially if it's producing nuts.

I'd love a bag of viable nuts to plant here, they'd look great with my burr oaks.

I'll be sending leaf  samples to them for identification once leaves are on.

If they are the real deal, I'll happily share nuts, especially since the two on my FiL's side seem blight free.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#45]
This is really cool!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Pretty cool. I got a few Dunstan Chestnuts planted in my yard. I think I have 1 pure chestnut also, I got it awhile ago with no info and it looks purebred by the leaves, and just like the ones pictured.

My mom and dad's house is built in the mid 1800s and most of the beams were walnut or chestnut. Most of the tonque and groove floors were chestnut. I got a few pieces that I need to build something out of it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: arowneragain] [#48]
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
Pretty cool. I got a few Dunstan Chestnuts planted in my yard. I think I have 1 pure chestnut also, I got it awhile ago with no info and it looks purebred by the leaves, and just like the ones pictured.

My mom and dad's house is built in the mid 1800s and most of the beams were walnut or chestnut. Most of the tonque and groove floors were chestnut. I got a few pieces that I need to build something out of it.
View Quote

I have several dozen hybrid chestnuts on our farm.

Hoping they bear fruit in 3-5 more years.

Eta: but I don’t know the differences in leaf or tree between hybrids and originals well enough to tell OP what he has.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Not to sound edgy , but what's the big deal about a possible American Chestnut tree ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#50]

I do.
View All Quotes

I do.

Username checks out!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top