Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
"Burt Reynolds makes so many bad movies that when someone else makes a bad movie, Burt gets a royalty." - Robert Wuhl
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure Twilight will age well.

The new Ghostbusters, and The Predator and...
View Quote

The Predator could have been a 70s movie with the Captain Sargent Scout Sniper Super Soldier team leader.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Movies of yore are different because back then they did have CGI to cover the awful shittyness of bad stories and an audience with the attention span of a 3 year old.
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hal Needham/Brad Pitt.  Typical Reynolds Needham style movie. I get Gator and White Lightening confused. Is this the Ford 429 movie?
View Quote
Ford with the 429 was White Lightning, which was about a thousand times better than Gator.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Movies, then and now, are really nothing more than vehicles for certain people to be 'show cased'. It really doesn't matter what the plot is or if there is one. You're just paying to watch some person to flaunt around.  I mean, how many movies can some 'flavor of the week' be in?  Seems like anytime the idiot box is turned-on, Samuel L 'Mother Fucker' Jackson is on.  Pretty much the same for professional sports too. People just seem to need to 'hero-ize' someone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It was Burt Reynolds being Burt Reynolds. Most of his movies were escapism, if you liked Burt you liked his movies.
View Quote

I felt Burt was happier with his later, silly movies when he had a bunch of his friends on set. It wasn’t high quality but sometimes fun, and by then he was established and could do what he wanted
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Burt Reynolds makes so many bad movies that when someone else makes a bad movie, Burt gets a royalty." - Robert Wuhl
View Quote

Pretty close to true, but I was checking out his IMDB filmography and I don’t think there is a year between 1970 and 2021 he didn’t have a job.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Jerry Reed - The Ballad of Gator McKlusky
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As was Deliverance.

View Quote

As GD determined, a ROM-COM all along.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pretty close to true, but I was checking out his IMDB filmography and I don’t think there is a year between 1970 and 2021 he didn’t have a job.
View Quote

He was regular on Gunsmoke for awhile
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Saturday Night Fever was actually gritty.

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I felt Burt was happier with his later, silly movies when he had a bunch of his friends on set. It wasn’t high quality but sometimes fun, and by then he was established and could do what he wanted
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was Burt Reynolds being Burt Reynolds. Most of his movies were escapism, if you liked Burt you liked his movies.

I remember a movie he did called Hooper about stuntmen. The whole movie it seemed like they ad libbed and just were having fun and didn’t give a fuck.  That was the attraction of a lot of B grade BR movies.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
Yeah, 70's movies really didn't age well.

At all.
View Quote
Smokey and the Bandit is an exception, largely thanks to Jackie Gleason.  I contend that Buford T. Justice is one of the greatest characters every put to screen.  I watched within the last year, and it holds up.

OP is largely correct though.  Many 70s movies are pretty bad when watched now.  Some 80s movies too.  Chuck Norris made some real stinkers, for example.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, it is literally, one long car chase
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smoky and the Bandit was good.

Well, it is literally, one long car chase
You seemed.......taller........on the radio.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I mostly hate lawyer books and movies.

View Quote

Why you hate John Grisham?!
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tomorrow's movie will be Convoy.
View Quote

Watched Convoy recently and it was pretty low brow. Ali MacGraw looked pretty good as white trash.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

* how many movies have a big car (or boat) chase  with real vehicles? Baby Driver did-great movie. But now? Would you really see a dozen boats or cars, a helicopter all smashing the shit out of each other with real stunt men ?
View Quote

There was a scene involving a towed bank vault in one of the more recent Fast Furious films. It's memorable for me due to unbelievable amount of destruction brought on screen. It surpassed anything I'd ever seen before. Not sure it involved boats and helicopters but the amount of physical damage was epic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't seen the movie it question, but agree with the general sentiment that "great" old movies are never very good.  The old Bond movies are painful to sit through.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
However, Robinson performed a similar falling stunt for his largest role as an actor in the 1985 Burt Reynolds film Stick, but this time all but the end of the stunt is fully visible as he is seen from above falling from a tall building firing a pistol at the same time.

View Quote

Robinson said he could have hit Reynolds with all six shots on the way down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The remake is terrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a 70's movie,  I always liked The Taking of Pelham One Two Three that never seems to be shown anywhere

There is a modern remake that’s good

The remake is terrible.

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Go watch 2001 a space odyssey
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The French Connection

Friends of Eddie Coyle

The Seven Ups

Taking of Pelham 123

Mean Streets

Serpico

Taxi Driver

Death Wish

White Lightning

Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry

White Line Fever

Walking Tall
View Quote

yes... all these movies have that vibe I'm talking about... ususally weird crime movies.

I remember another one from back then... Kris Kristofferson and Jan Michael Vincent were brothers... Kris was the baddie and Jan the good one, or naive younger brother anyway... Kristofferson was some kinda southern criminal mastermind and they eventually have to fight it out to the death over control of some crappy town in the end.

same 70's vibe.. BTW I'm not saying they're bad(although some obviously are) just that they share a kinda specific atmosphere  when watching..
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As a movie, Gator sucks.

However, Jerry Reed is very convincing criminal psychopath. He was a talented actor.
View Quote

Bama McCall.......he was good
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sharkey's Machine was pretty good though
View Quote

Damn straight. Great movie. Rachel Ward. Yum.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Not a 70's movie, but close, it was released in 1981. Re-watched it not to long ago and thought it was pretty good.

Fort Apache, The Bronx Trailer 1981

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#27]

What guns are those supposed to be?
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What guns are those supposed to be?
View Quote
Looks like a S&W 76 with a collapsing instead of folding stock
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They'd also have sex scenes-or implied off screen sex- just to have one. Eastwood bangs some girlfriend early on in Coogan's Bluff, never see her again. Eastwood screws the girl in the next apartment in one of the Dirty Harry movies, just cause lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They also used to have gratuitous titty scenes. Not sex scenes with the star, but topless women in a pool scene, or seeing a half naked woman through a window or in a strip club.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
They'd also have sex scenes-or implied off screen sex- just to have one. Eastwood bangs some girlfriend early on in Coogan's Bluff, never see her again. Eastwood screws the girl in the next apartment in one of the Dirty Harry movies, just cause lol

In the Maltese Falcon the detective also bangs a librarian semi-randomly, with no real bearing on the plot, if I remember correctly.  It was a common device to titillate the audience, but also to flesh (pun) out the protagonist a bit as a bounder without explicitly making him a man-whore.

The ham-fisted random titties fan-service of the era is best exemplified by Vanishing Point, in my opinion (perhaps the ultimate example of bad 70s movies that don't hold up for crap) where one of the "weird shit seen in the desert " scenes is a topless chick riding a bouncy minibike at a hippie commune.

I think due to social standards at the time, the scenes had to be brief & random.  If there was too much buildup before the nip-slip, or they lasted more than a second or two (or for multiple cuts), they'd be seen as profane rather than cheeky, if that makes any sense.  The point was to titillate the viewer, not arouse them (it was guys on dates at movie theatres in public, remember).  Everyone's tolerance for such things is way higher today of course, so it does make the fan service of these movies seem really quaint, kind like the proverbial lifting petticoats to show off ankles thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like a S&W 76 with a collapsing instead of folding stock
View Quote

That's it, alright; but the artists (or prop masters) fucked up the shroud & made it the same diameter as the receiver, and that's what threw me (there's a whole bunch of stuff that's off-model when I look at a photo of the real gun, too)
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Watch Hooper!
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Loved Fort Apache The Bronx. Also Electra Glide In Blue.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I watched it on TV when I was a young teenager.  Thought it was okay, then, but I wouldn't want to try it now.  Some 70s movies were good, of course...I mean, Jaws, Star Wars, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Death Wish.  But it wasn't a great decade for movies.
View Quote

There is iron in your words of film theory for all of Arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top