Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 6/26/2024 10:18:35 PM EDT
I've had a 8 foot bed truck with a across the bed tool box for years. This left me a usable 6 feet and change .
I just got a new truck and this one has a 6.5 bed.
Im not a contractor but i do use the bed for "work" most days and on occasion i do have to haul a motorcycle.
    I was using my old tool box to about 50% capacity with tools, jack, ratchet straps, tow straps, hitches and some chain.  
Thinking about doing something a little different for a tool box.

Option 1
Standard across the bed box, they make a narrow one so I only loose 12 inches of bed. But this would definitely make it tough to fit a bike

Option 2.
Swing out style,  seems cheesy and all are plastic. But  loose no bed length

Option 3 aluminum cube style boxes with one on each side of the front of the bed. Also seems cheesy and no loss of bed length

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:50:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#1]
I like across the bed but I don’t haul a bike
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had one in my trucks, seems to make people want to rub their fucking belt buckle all over the bedside. I have them on the trailer tongues. Everything that goes in the bed goes over a dropped tailgate.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I would look exclusively at options/styles by Weatherguard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I just want one that the latches actually WORK one handed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I am happy with my UWS across the bed box in my Ford Supercrew. Latches, locks and seals work great.

Hauling plywood and lumber works ok because small loads slide under the box.

If I had to haul a bike or 4 wheeler, no way would I use a cross bed box. I would go with a metal box that meets your size needs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:26:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#6]
This.  Or the platform type https://decked.com/products/drawers
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a back seat, do you have an option for storage under or behind the rear seat?
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can sacrifice some of the depth of the bed, the Decked drawer system is slick and holds up to a lot of abuse. The twin drawers hold way more shit than any across-the-bed box, plus there are corner 'wells'.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DD1801:
If you have a back seat, do you have an option for storage under or behind the rear seat?
View Quote

Old Toyota has a little cross bed box, I find I don’t use it much, but there are things to carry in a 40 year old pickup and regulars cabs are tight. I fit everything I need under the seat of Tundra. I’m not carrying fluids around for a new truck though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
I just want one that the latches actually WORK one handed.
View Quote

Weather guard are the best working boxes by a long shot. The push button latch is genius, and far more reliable than the pull latches. It’s nice being able to smack the push button latch with a closed fist when you have dirty hands or heavy gloves on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top