Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
How do people cook steaks on the stove using bacon grease?

I’ll sometimes see people talking about it and I have no idea how considering bacon grease has a smoke point around 325-350 and that’s medium-low heat, damn near low heat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Down 49lbs since new years.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 161Infantry:
Down 49lbs since new years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
How many here of you guys consistently get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep?
View Quote

I thin highly prioritize sleep and recovery given my training loads, though it's a bit difficult since my wife likes to stay up.

Attachment Attached File

Originally Posted By GordonFreeman1:

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Dude, you've got more muscle mass than I have mass, period.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GordonFreeman1:
Wow,

Did not know this thread existed. Been on carnivore for about 4 weeks and love it. First week was an interesting adjustment but now everything is smooth sailing. First two weeks I lost 7lbs in 13 days. Currently at 15.2% body fat according to my biometric scale.

Diet:

Breakfast:

6 farm eggs
3 strips of bacon
1/4 cup of shredded cheese

1st lunch

0.5 - 0.7lbs of ground beef
1/8 cup shredded cheese

2nd lunch
0.5lbs of ground beef
1/8 cup shredded cheese

3pm
2 scoops of gold standard whey w/ 32oz of water

Dinner:
2 grilled chicken breasts or 1 16oz ribeye or 2 smoked salmon filets.

Heavy weight lifting 4 days a week and 2 days of intense cardio and circuit training. Very happy with the results so far. Better sleep, cutting weight, etc. Only downside is muscles appear smaller due to the lack of carbs and water retention but I have leaned out quite a bit already.

Any input for changes would be appreciated.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443440/IMG_1158-3201212.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443440/IMG_1159-3201213.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443440/IMG_1160-3201215.jpg

View Quote

You are doing fine.  The purists will say you are doing keto rather than carnivore, but it’s splitting hairs.

For your diet to go all in carnivore you would need to cut out the cheese and the whey powder.

With your workout schedule though, the diet you are on seems to be working for you, so why hang a label on it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#6]
How many here of you guys consistently get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep?
View Quote

Since I was about 17 - I've almost never slept more than 4 hours at a time, usually closer to 3, sometimes twice in a 24 hour period unless I was down with some flu or recovering from bodily injury.

Covid, otoh, had me sleeping 18 to 20 hours out of 24 for close to 2 months, and those times I was awake were a maximum of 2 to 3 hours at a time.
It took me months more to slowly dwindle those hours back down to my normal pattern.

Carnivore hasn't changed that 'normal for me' pattern any.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking this is a good place to ask this.

Does anyone have any good recipes for BBQ sauce & Ketchup that is good tasting that doesn't use sugar or any artificial sweeteners?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

There’s a big difference between frequently getting poor sleep and not “consistently getting 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.”

I’d wager less than 1% of working adults over the age of 25 “consistently get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
View Quote

I sure don’t.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hands:

I sure don’t.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hands:

There’s a big difference between frequently getting poor sleep and not “consistently getting 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.”

I’d wager less than 1% of working adults over the age of 25 “consistently get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I sure don’t.  

Don’t feel bad. I very seriously doubt ANY person in this thread that’s putting in 30+ hours of work a week and doesn’t live by themselves in the middle of nowhere is “consistently getting 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.”
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Don’t feel bad. I very seriously doubt ANY person in this thread that’s putting in 30+ hours of work a week and doesn’t live by themselves in the middle of nowhere is “consistently getting 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.”
View Quote

certainly nobody with young kids.

I got 3 hours sunday night. Total. With interruptions.

the 6 I got scared the hell out of me when my alarm went off this morning. It's about the 3rd time I've heard it this year.

that said, I'm back on the wagon. Fell off, bloated up a bit, felt sluggish and grumpy but to be fair I have a bunch of both life and work drama at the same time, cause why not. Yesterday was 3 smashed burgers and an egg after IF all day. Today (and hopefully tomorrow) is nothing but black coffee, water, salt, and general hatred of the world. Then back on steak and burgers indefinitely.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#11]
How do people cook steaks on the stove using bacon grease?

I’ll sometimes see people talking about it and I have no idea how considering bacon grease has a smoke point around 325-350 and that’s medium-low heat, damn near low heat.
View Quote

I just use a very hot iron skillet Medium high heat. The only thing in it is whatever was used last and wiped out either butter or bacon grease. Wipe it mostly dry. Wait until its HOT.

Drop steak in at don't move it. After a couple minutes it will release and you can flip it. I usually try to use a iron skillet that's large enough that when I flip it it goes to the other side of the pan that is still clean. I my even increase the heat slightly to get a good sear on the flip. Then lower back down to med high.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

Can I beat it with a meat tenderizing hammer? Brine it with salt? I got to do something with it
View All Quotes

I dont have the equipment for that.

Next best option?

Strong Jaw

Can I beat it with a meat tenderizing hammer? Brine it with salt? I got to do something with it

saw this a week or so ago.  looks promising.  let us know how it works out.
NRM Chuck Roast Cooked Like a Ribeye
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I am not sure if this is on topic or not but here we go.
I have been eating carnivore(ish) for the last two months. I have type 2 diabetes and I am 40. TLDR is that I pretty much eat food exclusively cooked at home from raw ingredients and even half the spices my wife grows. We buy our own full pork and half a cow organic here locally and I have and eat ZERO processed foods. I have having a super bad day and I my wife decided to get me something nice so she got me a Rachels salad. Rachels is kind of an "upscale fast food" think Moe's Mexican but Mediterranean.
It was a salad with some chicken and some gyros. That was a MISTAKE.
After eating the salad (no bread/grains or croutons btw) I felt stabbing pain in the stomach ran to the bathroom and just made a massive donation to Washington DC brain trust. I felt really sick and weak for the next 3-4 hours and I just laid down and slept it off. My wife was just fine and she ate exactly the same thing. I know for a fact that the gyro meat is just glued mystery meat so is the chicken meat very processed.
After eating for two months how a human is supposed to eat this was a very effective reminder that I need to stay on track and that we as a society are slowly poisoning ourselves. We are like the romans poisoning ourselves with lead without a thought or a clue.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I am not sure if this is on topic or not but here we go.
I have been eating carnivore(ish) for the last two months. I have type 2 diabetes and I am 40. TLDR is that I pretty much eat food exclusively cooked at home from raw ingredients and even half the spices my wife grows. We buy our own full pork and half a cow organic here locally and I have and eat ZERO processed foods. I have having a super bad day and I my wife decided to get me something nice so she got me a Rachels salad. Rachels is kind of an "upscale fast food" think Moe's Mexican but Mediterranean.
It was a salad with some chicken and some gyros. That was a MISTAKE.
After eating the salad (no bread/grains or croutons btw) I felt stabbing pain in the stomach ran to the bathroom and just made a massive donation to Washington DC brain trust. I felt really sick and weak for the next 3-4 hours and I just laid down and slept it off. My wife was just fine and she ate exactly the same thing. I know for a fact that the gyro meat is just glued mystery meat so is the chicken meat very processed.
After eating for two months how a human is supposed to eat this was a very effective reminder that I need to stay on track and that we as a society are slowly poisoning ourselves. We are like the romans poisoning ourselves with lead without a thought or a clue.
View Quote

I find it mildly amusing how many guys here that post “falling off the wagon” stories blame it on their wife.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tluxtele:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDAEKlz90w
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tluxtele:

I dont have the equipment for that.

Next best option?

Strong Jaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDAEKlz90w

Thanks, I'll check it out
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread in a positive and constructive manor.
It has helped me beyond belief.
Whoever had the recipe for cooked ground beef with raw scrambled eggs and cheese baked at 350, you saved me about week two. I was hurting and not mentally adjusted.

A few positives I can think of off the top of my head:
Down over 30lbs since Feb.
Accidentally fasted for 36 hours and had no hints of hunger pains.
No cravings for pasta, dairy, bread.
Clothes I thought were destined for charity fit again.
Clearer skin
My oldest who is away at uni and had not seen me in a while and as shocked when she she saw me while we went to visit during a parents weekend.
Pink Himalayan salt is awesome.

A few negatives:
Food that claims to be carnivore friendly usually isn’t  I tried an electrolyte powder recommended earlier in the thread and it helped contribute to a stall as did some chicarones.
My wife always brings up my weight loss when out socially. People look at you crazy when you explain how you did and that you are still doing it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]

I find it mildly amusing how many guys here that post “falling off the wagon” stories blame it on their wife.
View Quote

It's easier than admitting we're weak pieces of shit?

at least that's my excuse
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Had my first bad temptation last night, but I held strong

We were out to dinner at our favorite local spot, sitting outside since it was so nice out. I got grilled chicken and a ribeye, so I was good on food, but damn if I didnt want a few beer sitting outside in that beautiful weather.

On a different not, Ive noticed something over the last week. Ive always drank a lot of water during the day (1g+) and have been doing the same since starting carnivore 5 weeks ago. I would usually pee every 1-1.5 hours or so.

Last week or so, Im not peeing nearly as much, which is a little concerning.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]

We were out to dinner at our favorite local spot, sitting outside since it was so nice out. I got grilled chicken and a ribeye, so I was good on food, but damn if I didnt want a few beer sitting outside in that beautiful weather.

On a different not, Ive noticed something over the last week. Ive always drank a lot of water during the day (1g+) and have been doing the same since starting carnivore 5 weeks ago. I would usually pee every 1-1.5 hours or so.

View Quote

I would have drank some beers. If you like beer, drink beer. Or if you like margaritas drink one . Or better yet I've started liking even better is a Ranch Water. Tequila, Topo Chico and lime juice. Skip the syrupy mixers .

I'm probably at my ideal weight after 2 months and have drank beer everyday. (or a ranch water)  . 168 down to 150, it sometimes fluctuates up to 155-156. But I feel a lot better and have more energy since getting completely off breads, tortillas (except a few chips at mexican rest) ,  vegetables, beans and rice. Oh and potatoes.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

I would have drank some beers. If you like beer, drink beer. Or if you like margaritas drink one . Or better yet I've started liking even better is a Ranch Water. Tequila, Topo Chico and lime juice. Skip the syrupy mixers .

I'm probably at my ideal weight after 2 months and have drank beer everyday. (or a ranch water)  . 168 down to 150, it sometimes fluctuates up to 155-156. But I feel a lot better and have more energy since getting completely off breads, tortillas (except a few chips at mexican rest) ,  vegetables, beans and rice. Oh and potatoes.

View All Quotes

I dont know man. I like IPA (more calories) and Im loving the energy and focus I have. I dont want to start drinking beer again, and then lose that. Its actually my favorite part of eating this way vs the weight loss.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#22]

On an unrelated note, what’s the closest I can get to carnivore / keto to make Mint Julepps for the Derby? Besides straight whiskey. Truvia simple syrup?

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#24]

I dont know man. I like IPA (more calories) and Im loving the energy and focus I have. I dont want to start drinking beer again, and then lose that. Its actually my favorite part of eating this way vs the weight loss.
View Quote

@ StarCityShooter

How's the bowel movements? Did you make any changes?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lucky-Charm:

@ StarCityShooter

How's the bowel movements? Did you make any changes?
View Quote

All the time I’ve spent on ARFCOM and that’s definitely the first time I’ve seen a poster @ someone and ask “how's the bowel movements?”
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#26]

All the time I’ve spent on ARFCOM and that’s definitely the first time I’ve seen a poster @ someone and ask “how's the bowel movements?”
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#27]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bigClub-750.jpg
View All Quotes

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bigClub-750.jpg

Attachment Attached File

Too damn funny

Theyre better, thanks for following up

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Anniversary dinner is Saturday night, so I do plan on cheating on diet, but not much.

Definitely having beer with my steak. Not really craving any sweets/deserts, but might see what they have.

If they have some fancy potatoes, or truffle fries, I may do that.

I'll report back with what I did and how my body reacts
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Anniversary dinner is Saturday night, so I do plan on cheating on diet, but not much.

Definitely having beer with my steak. Not really craving any sweets/deserts, but might see what they have.

View Quote

Bloating, gas, and drowsiness.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Caygee:
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread in a positive and constructive manor.
It has helped me beyond belief.
Whoever had the recipe for cooked ground beef with raw scrambled eggs and cheese baked at 350, you saved me about week two. I was hurting and not mentally adjusted.

A few positives I can think of off the top of my head:
Down over 30lbs since Feb.
Accidentally fasted for 36 hours and had no hints of hunger pains.
No cravings for pasta, dairy, bread.
Clothes I thought were destined for charity fit again.
Clearer skin
My oldest who is away at uni and had not seen me in a while and as shocked when she she saw me while we went to visit during a parents weekend.
Pink Himalayan salt is awesome.

A few negatives:
Food that claims to be carnivore friendly usually isn't  I tried an electrolyte powder recommended earlier in the thread and it helped contribute to a stall as did some chicarones.
My wife always brings up my weight loss when out socially. People look at you crazy when you explain how you did and that you are still doing it.
View Quote
@Caygee mind posting the recipe?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:43:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caygee] [#31]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
View Quote

Preheat oven to 350
Brown some 80/20 ground beef. How much is up to you. I did a pound.
Drain as much as you want or none. I left it a bit wet so the hamburger did not dry out in the oven.
Place ground beef in baking dish. Size is up to you for desired thickness.
Scramble some eggs 6 to 12.
Pour eggs uncooked eggs over the top of the cooked ground beef evenly.
Add a few shakes of pink Himalayan salt over the top.
Bake about 15-20 min and check to see if the eggs are almost done. They should look a little wet.
Add shredded cheese on top and continue to bake another 5 to 10min.
Amount of cheese is up to you but be wary as too much, or factory shredded, may slow down weight loss.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#33]

https://media2.giphy.com/media/v83OWOtIqWcdq/200w.gif?cid=6c09b9525br9dx1uv6qkb1r765uxfcnknluv21eg2yf3fw7s&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:30:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#34]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Last night I had 8 drumsticks for dinner.  Goddamn that was a good meal.
View Quote

I don’t think that’s on your diet…

Attachment Attached File

ETA: Been doing aggressive low carb for the past two and a half weeks. Down 7-10 lbs and feel tons better. Appetite is way down.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

I don’t think that’s on your diet…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197999/IMG_7221_jpeg-3204679.JPG

ETA: Been doing aggressive low carb for the past two and a half weeks. Down 7-10 lbs and feel tons better. Appetite is way down.

Thanks all.
View Quote

I saw a post on those Nestle Drumsticks.  Seems like you can leave them on the counter and they won't melt.  That they are not actually made from ice cream.

Once you start looking at food labels, it's amazing all the crap in our food.  Eating whole, natural foods like Beef and Eggs is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Preheat oven to 350
Drain as much as you want or none. I left it a bit wet so the hamburger did not dry out in the oven.
Bake about 15-20 min and check to see if the eggs are almost done. They should look a little wet.
Amount of cheese is up to you but be wary as too much, or factory shredded, may slow down weight loss.

Hope this helps.
View Quote
Thanks man I'm going to try this
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Preheat oven to 350

Hope this helps.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:

Preheat oven to 350

Hope this helps.

Fritattas are great fresh and reheat decently the next day if you want something warm but quick in the morning. An excellent variation is with bacon.  Cook 1 strip to every 1 or 2 eggs.  I make mine in the same cast iron skillet I cooked the bacon in, 8 inch skillet is sized right for 6-8 eggs.  Scramble eggs with crumbled or cut into bite size piece cooked bacon, put mixture back into hot skillet, cook a minute or two on the stove top while you sprinkle on cheese if desired, put in oven til done.  6 eggs in 8 inch skillet takes 15-17 minutes at 375.  Time seems to go up to 45+ minutes for a dozen eggs in a 10 inch skillet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mike240:

Not true. Been doing it since June. Has never happened.
View Quote

This.  If you do it right, keep your electrolytes and hydration up, you won't have an issue.  It actually is shown to help those with IBS and such.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#39]
My weight loss has stalled.

I'm going to cut out the cheese that I've been putting on my hamburger patties and see if that helps.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#40]
I’ve been struggling the past six months with my weight lost.  After retiring I hit 267.  That floored me.  So I started working out 4 days a week and watching my diet.  Just trying to cut out shitty foods (fried foods, sweets, etc.) Eating mostly veggies, eggs, meat.  Greek yogurt and blueberries is a phenomenal snack and really helps bump up my protein. I have not cut out pasta (I am Italian, it would be heresy), and I use a high fiber bread since I had diverticulitis.  Between last Memorial Day and December I lost 25 pounds.  Felt great and was making good progress.  I have since stalled. The only change is that my arthritis is my knee has become extremely painful (I am now bone on bone). That has severely limited my cardio.  Not that I was doing any super aggressive cardio, but I’m limited to walking with NO incline on the treadmill. 5 months of no progress is killing me.  I still feel great, still love going to the gym.  I have cut my calories (from 2000 to 1800), but still no progress.  

I need to make a radical change. I am wondering if this is it.  Would be very tough to cut out veggies and fruits. Also would need to figure out how to adjust my breakfast. I make a wrap with turkey and eggs, which is easy to eat on the road on the way into work.  Can anyone recommend a good article or you tube vid to outline the ins and outs of this?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#41]
2 months in and lost 40 lbs. I stalled about a week ago so I did a cheat day and went to our favorite Mexican restaurant after Church last Sunday. I had my favorite, carne asada, a flank steak with 2 enchiladas on it sitting on onions and peppers. Chips and salsa, queso and peco.  I also had a large frozen premium margarita. I lost 5 more pounds since then. I have taken to buying meat in bulk, season or just salt it and using my new vacuum sealer prior to freezing. Mrs TB lost 35 lbs. We are eating beef, chicken, pork, sausage, eggs, pork skins and some cheese. Occasionally, we will have whole milk greek yogurt and berries as a late snack.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
2 months in and lost 40 lbs. I stalled about a week ago so I did a cheat day and went to our favorite Mexican restaurant after Church last Sunday. I had my favorite, carne asada, a flank steak with 2 enchiladas on it sitting on onions and peppers. Chips and salsa, queso and peco.  I also had a large frozen premium margarita. I lost 5 more pounds since then. I have taken to buying meat in bulk, season or just salt it and using my new vacuum sealer prior to freezing. Mrs TB lost 35 lbs. We are eating beef, chicken, pork, sausage, eggs, pork skins and some cheese. Occasionally, we will have whole milk greek yogurt and berries as a late snack.
View Quote

I’ve seen people talk about this a few times.  Is there any hard data behind this or is it just anecdotal?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#43]

I've seen people talk about this a few times.  Is there any hard data behind this or is it just anecdotal?
View Quote
The little bit of research I did says the only benefit is helping you stick with your diet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:17:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StarCityShooter] [#44]

https://media2.giphy.com/media/v83OWOtIqWcdq/200w.gif?cid=6c09b9525br9dx1uv6qkb1r765uxfcnknluv21eg2yf3fw7s&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Here what I pre picked form the menu before we go. Not too awful...until we get to the desserts

App
Attachment Attached File

Dinner
Attachment Attached File

or

Attachment Attached File

Leaning towards the short ribs

Desserts

Attachment Attached File

and/or

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
I’ve been struggling the past six months with my weight lost.  After retiring I hit 267.  That floored me.  So I started working out 4 days a week and watching my diet.  Just trying to cut out shitty foods (fried foods, sweets, etc.) Eating mostly veggies, eggs, meat.  Greek yogurt and blueberries is a phenomenal snack and really helps bump up my protein. I have not cut out pasta (I am Italian, it would be heresy), and I use a high fiber bread since I had diverticulitis.  Between last Memorial Day and December I lost 25 pounds.  Felt great and was making good progress.  I have since stalled. The only change is that my arthritis is my knee has become extremely painful (I am now bone on bone). That has severely limited my cardio.  Not that I was doing any super aggressive cardio, but I’m limited to walking with NO incline on the treadmill. 5 months of no progress is killing me.  I still feel great, still love going to the gym.  I have cut my calories (from 2000 to 1800), but still no progress.  

I need to make a radical change. I am wondering if this is it.  Would be very tough to cut out veggies and fruits. Also would need to figure out how to adjust my breakfast. I make a wrap with turkey and eggs, which is easy to eat on the road on the way into work.  Can anyone recommend a good article or you tube vid to outline the ins and outs of this?
View Quote

I don't have any recommendations for you but I have a suggestion for your wrap.  You could look into egglife wraps.  Not sure how the police will feel about them but if they help you move to more of a meat based way of eating I'd give them a shot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#46]
My wife and I were having a discussion this morning and wanted to get the opinion of others here.

We've both lost about 25 pounds but we are both at weights We've spent significant time at before. But, at these same weights, our body composition seems to be significantly different. It's like we are built differently than we were before.

Anyone else think they are just built "differently" after doing this a while? I think it's because 100% of the weight I've lost is fat and I've put on muscle in the mean time. My wife thinks the same.

With traditional "diets", I think a caloric deficit leads to muscle loss. I think this does the opposite.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#47]

So they didnt have the Korean ribs, they had fried pork belly and a sauce instead. It was delicious.

The short ribs were amazing, melted in your mouth amazing. Very little potatoes, and I only ate one piece of broccoli.

They didnt have the PB&J ice cream, they had a popcorn ice cream instead. Holy Shit! It was homemade vanilla with what tasted like Cracker Jack popcorn with the caramel and popcorn flavor it had.

Had 2 beers with dinner as well.

Had some heartburn last night (not something normal for me, ever) and woke up at 3am with similar to hangover headache. Took some ibuprofen and electrolytes and went back to bed.

Overall feel more tired than normal today, everything else went away. Id say worth it overall, but not something Im gonna miss.

Back on the wagon again today so good to go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Eitek1:
My wife and I were having a discussion this morning and wanted to get the opinion of others here.

We've both lost about 25 pounds but we are both at weights We've spent significant time at before. But, at these same weights, our body composition seems to be significantly different. It's like we are built differently than we were before.

Anyone else think they are just built "differently" after doing this a while? I think it's because 100% of the weight I've lost is fat and I've put on muscle in the mean time. My wife thinks the same.

With traditional "diets", I think a caloric deficit leads to muscle loss. I think this does the opposite.
View Quote

I honestly feel like I'm a medium sized strong dude in a fat suit, rather than a fat dude. My lifts are good,and getting better. My desire to work out is higher than it's been in 2 decades. I'm kina stalled at weight but I do think i'm recomping a bit right now, so not super worried. Gonna do a big fast this week and catch up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
I've been struggling the past six months with my weight lost.  After retiring I hit 267.  That floored me.  So I started working out 4 days a week and watching my diet.  Just trying to cut out shitty foods (fried foods, sweets, etc.) Eating mostly veggies, eggs, meat.  Greek yogurt and blueberries is a phenomenal snack and really helps bump up my protein. I have not cut out pasta (I am Italian, it would be heresy), and I use a high fiber bread since I had diverticulitis.  Between last Memorial Day and December I lost 25 pounds.  Felt great and was making good progress.  I have since stalled. The only change is that my arthritis is my knee has become extremely painful (I am now bone on bone). That has severely limited my cardio.  Not that I was doing any super aggressive cardio, but I'm limited to walking with NO incline on the treadmill. 5 months of no progress is killing me.  I still feel great, still love going to the gym.  I have cut my calories (from 2000 to 1800), but still no progress.  

View Quote

You need to tend to the knee. If it's really bone on bone it can be replaced. It's not going to get any better and it will be like this the rest of your life.

It's true that it takes a long time to recover and of course there's pain and discomfort. They can't make you 20 again. But you can be better than you are now.

I've had both replaced, the last one this past September. I was walking pretty quickly, actually right from the beginning. It was not much at first but within a month I could go around the block. Then a couple miles. As of now I can do more than I could before it was replaced. There is still discomfort and numbness and tingling but I'm still able to be active and some people have even less discomfort.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Eitek1:

View Quote

Dr. Chaffee talked about his personal experience with body recomposition in a video I watched recently.  Stated he lost 20 pounds right away then he got more muscular as fat continued to drop.

I'm still losing weight, but being deliberate with running and some light weight exercises, I expect body recomposition.  Goal weight, 190ish.
Page / 36
Top Top