Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2024 7:31:07 PM EDT
Our new house has a small, 10' tall tree. It appears to be some sort of ligustrum. During the eighteen months we've been here it has slowly been overtaken by moss balls and is now about 75% covered in them. I've been picking them off but they just keep coming back. I've sprayed it with a good dose of Scotts Moss-X hoping that might do something but it didn't phase it. It was a good looking tree and I hate to see it die and have to start over with something else. Is there something else I could try?
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]
tree is stressed. the moss is proliferating where there is lack of foliage; picking the moss doesn't get to the root cause of why the tree is stressed

more info, and pics?
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have much more information but I can get pictures in the morning once the sun's out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have much more information but I can get pictures in the morning once the sun's out.
View Quote

have you, or hired lawn chemical service, used any herbicides or weed killers inside the drip line of the tree, including if any being applied on lawn grass within or near the drip line? seize from doing that if so, and put in some fertilizer spikes around the edge of the drip line.

most common cause for ligustrum failing/dying is due to root rot. ligustrum become increasingly prone to root rot as they age; usually when the roots are constantly wet for too long of time, but drought, underwatering, or other stress can leave it more prone as well. they should be planted in location that drains well, and kept watered sufficiently (not too much and not too little). if specific limbs are affected due to root rot, you might prune them out and hope the tree recovers enough to grow new roots sufficiently that it recovers and delays the inevitable.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]
No, I haven't had anything sprayed on or around the tree/lawn. All I've done is water the law with a sprinkler maybe four times since we moved in a year and a half ago. I was finally able to take some photos.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Pay a licensed and certified arborist to give you a course of action to remedy the problem.

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Many trees become stressed because the root flare is not exposed (either buried too deep or mulch volcano), or poor drainage.   Exposing the root flare on many trees dramatically helps them, and can be done by hand or an airspade.

https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Root-Flare-Management_vq616.htm
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pay a licensed and certified arborist to give you a course of action to remedy the problem.

View Quote

This is your answer.

I’ve spent a fair amount on my Oaks in regards to health.

Worth every penny if you love your trees!
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Flowering dogwood?
Top Top