Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/2/2023 8:33:47 AM EDT
We continue down a slippery slope in the maritime industry and China continues to expand.  I wonder if the Big Guy has increased his fee from 10%?

The readiness of U.S. sealift capability has been in decline for years, but it is beginning to reach a critical point, U.S. Maritime Administrator Rear Adm. Ann Phillips (USN, ret'd) told a House subcommittee meeting on Tuesday.  According to Phillips, MARAD's Ready Reserve Force (RRF) fleet is down to 45 ships, with an average age over 45

"I think everybody here should find that incredibly alarming. That is a red star cluster," said Rep. Michael Waltz, chairman of the House Armed Services Readiness subcommittee. "We've gone from 400 ships in the First Gulf War down to 40, and we can't even staff the 40."

Story

China is Preparing Merchant Ro-Ro Ferries for Amphibious Warfare
The role of civilian roll-on/roll-off (RO-RO) ferries in a PLA invasion of Taiwan deserves its growing notoriety.  The PLA has been modifying RO-RO ferries with new stern ramps enabling in-water operations to launch and recover amphibious combat vehicles.  Other ferries have received similar modifications, giving the PLA a significant boost in the total volume of amphibious lift the PLA could muster in a cross-strait amphibious landing. This expansion in PLA amphibious capabilities has generated very little attention by the international media despite its clear purpose.
Story

USCG (Uncle Sam's Confused Group) want's in on the action as well  Damn, that would be nice duty, wonder if they will take an old Chief with beard and belly?

U.S. Coast Guard Asks for Four More Cutters for Indo-Pacific Missions

The U.S. Coast Guard is taking on an expanded role in the Western Pacific, deploying cutter crews and working with the U.S. Navy to establish an American presence in far-flung island nations. The USCG's law enforcement and search-and-rescue capabilities dovetail neatly with this mission, and the service wants to double down with four more cutters specifically for the Indo-Pacific.
the Coast Guard included a line item for $400 million to fund the acquisition of four more Fast Response Cutters
View Quote

The acquisition would increase its role in the U.S. Indo-Pacific strategy and "begin to transform the Coast Guard from an organization which currently provides episodic presence, to be persistent and visible."
View Quote

Story
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Believe me, this is pretty common knowledge in nautical circles.

Doesn't matter that we don't have mariners, there's only a few ships anyway.

I bet they'd be .... pressing(historically correct term?) river barge and tug crews into service, if we can find hulls.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Chy-Nah is grooming their young to invade us and we are grooming our purple haired trans freaks and social media twats who cares about views.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think the armed forces care, unless its a jet, missile,  or satellite.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If they up the pay enough the people will flow, problem is the sea time requirements & experience based on tonnage is not easy to scale with regards to quickly creating competent mariners.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#5]
How do you fix it? Hire non US mariners? Subsidize the US merchant marine fleet to make it more competitive in world markets to regain market share?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bet they'd be .... pressing(historically correct term?) river barge and tug crews into service, if we can find hulls.
View Quote

I agree, but that is a small circle, we need to make everyone aware.  Problem is, a lot just dont care as long as their reality TV program isnt interrupted.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The PLA studied the British Falklands campaign/war as well as Desert Storm, Haiti, OIF, and OEF to cherry-pick best lessons-learned to catch up to the west.

Amphibious invasions are the singular, most complex military operations to plan and execute.

The British Fleet Auxiliary Reserve mobilized a bunch of ocean-going ferries and RO-RO cargo ships to move their force to the other side of the planet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#9]
If it wasn't for the Jones Act there wouldn't be a US flagged merchant ship left, nor would there be much point in having the maritime academies.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#10]
In the context of Taiwan I really don't like the modifying of the ROROs. It's one thing to have them in the fleet on paper and another to train with them and work the bugs out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, the logisticians certainly care.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh, but you can be. Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Nobody wants to be a Semen anymore.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The US military arguably has the best logistics in the planet.  

It's not sexy and hi-vis (like a new plane or ship), but resupply isn't exactly ignored.

Wonder if we can start using the older LHD hulls as cargo ships, as new ones come online.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh they care, I’m guessing you mean they’ll prioritize the sexy stuff first, which is true.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not sexy and hi-vis (like a new plane or ship), but resupply isn't exactly ignored.

Wonder if we can start using the older LHD hulls as cargo ships, as new ones come online.
View Quote

Who's going to man it ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How many good, fit Marines did they get rid of for refusing the china flu shot?
View Quote
Too many

Gov made their bed, if they want help they need to drop all the Covid vaccine bullshit.

IIRC they quit for now, but how many folks will ever trust the gov again? Are Mariner's required to have a Covid vaccine?

Nobody wants to help a person that fucks them over, regardless of what flag they fly or wear on their shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#19]
And how many potential sailors heard about the carrier extended from 6 months to a 320 (340?) day deployment and said fuck that?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Too many

Gov made their bed, if they want help they need to drop all the Covid vaccine bullshit.

IIRC they quit for now, but how many folks will ever trust the gov again? Are Mariner's required to have a Covid vaccine?

Nobody wants to help a person that fucks them over, regardless of what flag they fly or wear on their shoulder.
View Quote

It will quietly be added back, mark my words,
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We continue down a slippery slope in the maritime industry and China continues to expand.  I wonder if the Big Guy has increased his fee from 10%?

The readiness of U.S. sealift capability has been in decline for years, but it is beginning to reach a critical point, U.S. Maritime Administrator Rear Adm. Ann Phillips (USN, ret'd) told a House subcommittee meeting on Tuesday.  According to Phillips, MARAD's Ready Reserve Force (RRF) fleet is down to 45 ships, with an average age over 45

"I think everybody here should find that incredibly alarming. That is a red star cluster," said Rep. Michael Waltz, chairman of the House Armed Services Readiness subcommittee. "We've gone from 400 ships in the First Gulf War down to 40, and we can't even staff the 40."

Story

China is Preparing Merchant Ro-Ro Ferries for Amphibious Warfare
The role of civilian roll-on/roll-off (RO-RO) ferries in a PLA invasion of Taiwan deserves its growing notoriety.  The PLA has been modifying RO-RO ferries with new stern ramps enabling in-water operations to launch and recover amphibious combat vehicles.  Other ferries have received similar modifications, giving the PLA a significant boost in the total volume of amphibious lift the PLA could muster in a cross-strait amphibious landing. This expansion in PLA amphibious capabilities has generated very little attention by the international media despite its clear purpose.
Story

https://cimsec.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/fig-1.png

USCG (Uncle Sam's Confused Group) want's in on the action as well  Damn, that would be nice duty, wonder if they will take an old Chief with beard and belly?

U.S. Coast Guard Asks for Four More Cutters for Indo-Pacific Missions

The U.S. Coast Guard is taking on an expanded role in the Western Pacific, deploying cutter crews and working with the U.S. Navy to establish an American presence in far-flung island nations. The USCG's law enforcement and search-and-rescue capabilities dovetail neatly with this mission, and the service wants to double down with four more cutters specifically for the Indo-Pacific.
the Coast Guard included a line item for $400 million to fund the acquisition of four more Fast Response Cutters
View Quote

The acquisition would increase its role in the U.S. Indo-Pacific strategy and "begin to transform the Coast Guard from an organization which currently provides episodic presence, to be persistent and visible."
View Quote

Story
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#22]

And again you just post stupid memes in various threads but yet never contribute anything.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Lots of people left because of the vaccine. The money is a pretty big deal I think, along with the quality of mariner put out mainly on the unlicensed side, but the officer side sometimes too.

I’ve been sailing for 12yrs. The pay scale for each position really hasn’t moved during that time. From what the older guys say, they were making the same money back in the 80’s. So what’s the point of being gone from home for half the year, when you can get close to the same pay shore-side, and sleep in your bed, and see your family every day? The money is good right out of school, but you reach a cap, and can’t continue to move up as you would in a company.

Next, the unlicensed side is increasingly sub-par. The old school guys are great, knowledgeable, and hardworking. New graduating classes look like a prison break. They have almost no knowledge when starting out straight out of school. Of course there is a reasonable period of learning that needs to take place at first, but they show up without even basic knowledge that should have been learned in classes. Then there is no work ethic most times, and no desire to learn.

Finally, the responsibility load is insane. Chief mates and captains have a job descriptions that are over 10 pages long…with bullet points. There’s never ending inspections and audits, and the crew sizes are small for thousand foot ships.

In the even of a crisis, and they stopped with all the inspections and audits, let us actually do cargo, and upped the pay, we would have plenty of people willing to sail. This still doesn’t help with starting out with a good knowledge base, or even an appropriate number of ships though. So who knows.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Miley and Austin didn't seem overly concerned about it when Matt Gaietz was grilling them.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Chy-Nah is grooming their young to invade us and we are grooming our purple haired trans freaks and social media twats who cares about views.
View Quote

LoL..what young?

China’s Population Bomb Blows as Deaths Outnumbered Births in 2022
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And again you just post stupid memes in various threads but yet never contribute anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And all you ever post is the same doom and gloom?  It reminds me of the same shit before the 1st Gulf War about how the M1s and AH-64s won’t work in the desert and all of the body bags we will need to ship over.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How do you fix it? Hire non US mariners? Subsidize the US merchant marine fleet to make it more competitive in world markets to regain market share?
View Quote

Foreign mariners aren't going to risk eating a Chinese ASCM.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

When realistically will they actually be in service?
Who is going to man woman crew them?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who's going to man it ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's going to man it ?

Excuse me ??????    I think you mean "Who's going to Non-Binary/Trans/They/Them" ...  it ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Miley and Austin didn't seem overly concerned about it when Matt Gaietz was grilling them.

View Quote

Miley doesn't think we will go to war with China despite every other flag talking constantly about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Miley doesn't think we will go to war with China despite every other flag talking constantly about it.
View Quote

Miley is not going to war with his masters, that treasonous bitch works for the globalists.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Not much of a Merchant fleet left to pull people from. If the Jones Act ever goes, it’ll be the end of it. Kind of hard to fight a war in the Pacific when China finally pops off with no supply chain.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd rather the USCG get some more NSCs and outfit the entire NSC fleet (and the Heritages) with the "designed for but not with" combat/sensor suites. It seems like the quickest way to boost our surface combatants over the next 4 years.

THAT is what we need for the Pacific, not 4 more FRCs with some machine guns.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When realistically will they actually be in service?
Who is going to man woman crew them?
View Quote

Hush with your totally reasonable questions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Chy-Nah is grooming their young to invade us and we are the TicTok lifestyle is grooming our purple haired trans freaks and social media twats who cares about views.
View Quote

They're helping/joining in.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And all you ever post is the same doom and gloom?  It reminds me of the same shit before the 1st Gulf War about how the M1s and AH-64s won’t work in the desert and all of the body bags we will need to ship over.
View Quote

I posted some news articles for discussion, that pointed out some short comings in certain areas, but I wouldnt expect you to have the mental capacity to comprehend the subject.  No worries, you can go talk about ice cream with your president in another thread.  Thats more your speed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha! I was going to say what ships?  Isn’t everything run through Panama or Liberia to shelter from taxes?

We aren’t a pimple on the ass of what our sealift capabilities used to be.  Give some more business to China.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If it wasn't for the Jones Act there wouldn't be a US flagged merchant ship left, nor would there be much point in having the maritime academies.

View Quote

Yup.

Other important US industries need to be brought back to the US.

By force of law if needed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yup.

View Quote

The Jones act preserves an old and small fleet. What would be needed to get a newer and larger fleet? Exceptions for upgrading current vessels? Refurbing foreign purchase vessels? Subsidizing new construction?

(only rules in this thought exercise is realistic budgeting and no selective service act allowed for crewing... consider creative options to man the ship like citizenship pathways for foreign sailors)

Ready, and go...
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I posted some news articles for discussion, that pointed out some short comings in certain areas, but I wouldnt expect you to have the mental capacity to comprehend the subject.  No worries, you can go talk about ice cream with your president in another thread.  Thats more your speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

…and I added to your discussion pointing out the obvious.  Too bad you you do not understand how the real world works.  Keep posting doom and gloom!
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I would agree.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#43]

I'm beginning to suspect that perhaps this is an artifact of us mismanaging our country a bit, moreso that running out of human bodies here...

Just a theory.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If they up the pay enough the people will flow, problem is the sea time requirements & experience based on tonnage is not easy to scale with regards to quickly creating competent mariners.
View Quote
Pay's only one part of it, but they don't have a huge manpower pool to recruit from anymore either. The youth is just too out of shape, and before you start looking immediately south for diversity hires, it's worth recognizing that Mexico's obesity rate is comparable to ours, because they're all soda junkies. These are the kind of issues that take a generation to fix, if it's even fixable. Imagine the push back if the Government tried to legislate obesity out of existence. Try taking sugar away from junkies. It'd be a disaster.

The Gen Z kids that I see hitting the gym regularly are all far right, and would never sign up to serve under Biden.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

…and I added to your discussion pointing out the obvious.  Too bad you you do not understand how the real world works.  Keep posting doom and gloom!
View Quote

You didn't post anything except the same stupid, low IQ, meme's you always post.  You are as predictable as my morning bowel movement.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Jones act preserves an old and small fleet. What would be needed to get a newer and larger fleet? Exceptions for upgrading current vessels? Refurbing foreign purchase vessels? Subsidizing new construction?

(only rules in this thought exercise is realistic budgeting and no selective service act allowed for crewing... consider creative options to man the ship like citizenship pathways for foreign sailors)

Ready, and go...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Ready, and go...

The incentive is there, you can make a shit load of cash right out of school with a license. The US Navy will subsidize your tuition if you go to a state academy with its SSO program. This provides the Navy with a pool of mariners to activate as the commitment is for about 8 years after they graduate.

The hulls are not there. US Shipbuilding is slow and expensive.

Oil production has tanked so not a lot of tonnage required like back in 2012. Same with oil exploration, this impacts both bigger drill ships and the smaller support craft. Get oil production and exploration going again and you increase the Civilian Mariner pool to pull from.

International Regulations became a huge pain in the ass around 2017/2018. You have to take several weeks/months  of schooling now to renew your license every five years on your off time.

Increase the Marad ready reserve fleet with new ships and an actual budget that isn’t a joke. Most of their ships are half a century old or older. These ships provide a safe haven for emergency services to ride out natural disasters so they can help afterwards. Also the ships themselves are activated a lot of times to provide support on scene after natural disasters.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#47]
The Filipinos will save us. The only question is will we tell them all to get fucked and go back to Subic when they're done.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe we should worry more about our own borders and less about sticking our nose in other countries troubles.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Maybe we should worry more about our own borders and less about sticking our nose in other countries troubles.
View Quote

Ya but you at least want a buffer zone around the border and on the west coast, that is the Pacific.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You didn't post anything except the same stupid, low IQ, meme's you always post.  You are as predictable as my morning bowel movement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because your obvious doom and gloom, “the US sux and we already lost the war”, stinks like shit!  The low IQ memes are the proper reply to  your uninspired posts.  

Try taking a lesson from CarmelBytheSea and actually add something to the discussion that is thought provoking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top