BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

Remember that what the Hornet was pictured carrying in the OP's article is the SM6 without the booster.

So, the big question is, what does the range and capability look like with that version of the missile launched at speed and at altitude?

Certainly a very interesting idea that I wish I knew more about the capes of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xd341:
An SM6 would provide that reach advantage for sure.

Remember that what the Hornet was pictured carrying in the OP's article is the SM6 without the booster.

So, the big question is, what does the range and capability look like with that version of the missile launched at speed and at altitude?

Kinematicly, it should be similar to an SM-2MR BlkIII since it is more or less the same missile with a new seeker.  That missile has a public range figure of 166km when fired from a ship. When air launched, 250km against a bomber might not be out of the question, but the Rhino with its canted pylons is not exactly known for flying high and fast with big stores under the wings, so it is likely a better interceptor when armed with AMRAAM instead. I suspect this is meant for air to surface, not air to air.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AR18:
They should had done the B-1R concept with that missile.
View Quote

Hell yes. My friend who flew the B-1B supports this idea.

A Boner with a super long-range missile? Hells yes!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:18:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#3]
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Originally Posted By AR18:
They should had done the B-1R concept with that missile.

USN operating B-1R as maritime strike bomber would be awesome. Load it up with 20+ SM-6 and go dunk on any PLAN surface fleet out there. If some J-whatever fighters come out to play, the SM-6 will work for them too!  Big raid going out against the CVN and your worried the Rhino's can't handle it?  Scramble some B-1Rs to intercept.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
Kinematicly, it should be similar to an SM-2MR BlkIII since it is more or less the same missile with a new seeker.  That missile has a public range figure of 166km when fired from a ship. When air launched, 250km against a bomber might not be out of the question
View Quote

It is launched off the ship as a SAM with an entirely separate booster section attached to it, so those range figures aren't accurate for the configuration which it is being flown on the Hornet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Kinematicly, it should be similar to an SM-2MR BlkIII since it is more or less the same missile with a new seeker.  That missile has a public range figure of 166km when fired from a ship. When air launched, 250km against a bomber might not be out of the question, but the Rhino with its canted pylons is not exactly known for flying high and fast with big stores under the wings, so it is likely a better interceptor when armed with AMRAAM instead. I suspect this is meant for air to surface, not air to air.
View All Quotes
An SM6 would provide that reach advantage for sure.

Make the AGM-78 great again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

They took the booster off but air launching should almost triple the range. Probably triple that of the AIM-54 if it’s fired from high and fast, maybe more.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Outranges the Navy's old Phoenix by 30-odd miles.  Three launched in anger and never hit anything.

They took the booster off but air launching should almost triple the range. Probably triple that of the AIM-54 if it’s fired from high and fast, maybe more.

Wait a minute, a 400ish mile missile?  
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Outranges the Navy's old Phoenix by 30-odd miles.  Three launched in anger and never hit anything.
View Quote

30mi???

Air launched it might have up to a 300mi range
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:54:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#9]

It is launched off the ship as a SAM with an entirely separate booster section attached to it, so those range figures aren't accurate for the configuration which it is being flown on the Hornet.
View All Quotes
Kinematicly, it should be similar to an SM-2MR BlkIII since it is more or less the same missile with a new seeker.  That missile has a public range figure of 166km when fired from a ship. When air launched, 250km against a bomber might not be out of the question

SM-2 ER and SM-6 are the ones with a booster.  The 166km figure I gave was for SM-2MR which is kinda like a boosterless SM-6 with a semi active seeker.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheAvatar9265ft:

30mi???

View All Quotes

30mi???

Potentially more than that, and when the SM6IIB is available it would become the USN’s weapon to “out stick” most of the world’s other weapons.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By R0N:

Potentially more than that, and when the SM6IIB is available it would become the USN’s weapon to “out stick” most of the world’s other weapons.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R0N:

30mi???

That beast is probably gonna cost something like $20M each though if the $30M price tag of the SM-3 IIA it's based on is any indication.  Arming a Flight III Burke might cost more than building it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

How long does the power last in those missiles? Depending on the intensity of the sensory equipment inside the tiny tube I could see battery life running out before thrust.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]

A happy place to launch an AAM is supersonic and in/above 30K, which gives you the type of range and capability against a maneuvering target to be competitive against the AA-12/PL-12.

Neither of those vehicles is going to be able to do that.
View Quote

Could a Super Hornet achieve supersonic speed hauling one of those big beasts though?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh it has a booster, it just burns JP-8 err..5? Does the navy still blend their own?  

You'd know better than I, speed and altitude at time of launch must add to the range pretty significantly, but I take your point.  Must take a lot of solid fuel to get a surface launched sm6 flying vertically.
View Quote

A guy who does this stuff for a living suggested a rule of thumb that surface launching a missile gives it 1/3 the range of air launching. So fighting gravity to get up takes 2/3 the energy the missile has, roughly speaking.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I doubt the ability of an F/A-18 to get inside 250km of a bomber and survive consistently, if the Chinese can deploy their aircraft effectively in strike packages.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 7empest:
Why are we trying to escalate with China? the globalists sure want ww3 to keep Trump out.
View Quote

According to democrats who vote, it's Trump that will bringb us to WWIII silly. The adults are in charge. Just look how cool joe looks in aviator sunglasses.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]

That beast is probably gonna cost something like $20M each though if the $30M price tag of the SM-3 IIA it's based on is any indication.  Arming a Flight III Burke might cost more than building it.
View Quote

The price fell substantially after they paid off the one time costs. Raytheon has a contract for new variants of SM2 and 6 that use a common guidance section so the costs are going to converge.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:

According to democrats who vote, it's Trump that will bringb us to WWIII silly. The adults are in charge. Just look how cool joe looks in aviator sunglasses.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:
Why are we trying to escalate with China? the globalists sure want ww3 to keep Trump out.

Chinese culture basically requires the stronger power to assert dominance. If your dick is bigger they kneel and bow. Dangerous when you let them think theirs is bigger.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I bet a P-8 with two under each wing would be a dandy way to patrol the S China Sea.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#20]
A bit off topic, but.... the article (linked in the OP) was written by a current high school senior.  Some of you guys know a lot more about the subject matter, so it's possible the article is full of mistakes... but it seems to be pretty well written.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

How long does the power last in those missiles? Depending on the intensity of the sensory equipment inside the tiny tube I could see battery life running out before thrust.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

Battery life far exceeds the thrust.  Motor burn out happens before the kill at normal long range.  

Battery/capacitor bleed off is a real world safety issue for a misfire/hangfire procedure from either ship/shore launch.  Aircraft launch 'should' be able to safely jettison the store, or pylon.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:11:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#22]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
I bet a P-8 with two under each wing would be a dandy way to patrol the S China Sea.
View Quote

Might want to keep a torpedo on there too, although I wouldn't put it past the Navy trying to adapt the SM-6 for ASW.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
A bit off topic, but.... the article (linked in the OP) was written by a current high school senior.  Some of you guys know a lot more about the subject matter, so it's possible the article is full of mistakes... but it seems to be pretty well written.
View Quote

OP's article is a copy/paste re-post of an article at The Drive.

The three or four main writers at The Drive aren't terribly great tacticians, strategists, or combat airpower experts (although they certainly fancy themselves to be), but they do a pretty decent job of simply reporting things that occur in military aviation. Unfortunately, there's a lot of fanboy heavy-breathing that takes place in their articles that leads them to theorize on strategies and tactics that are beyond their training and experience.

Super Hornet Armed With SM-6 Missile Spotted Over California

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#24]

A guy who does this stuff for a living suggested a rule of thumb that surface launching a missile gives it 1/3 the range of air launching. So fighting gravity to get up takes 2/3 the energy the missile has, roughly speaking.
View Quote
Aught to be able to cross check that, don't they use the AIM-120 as a SAM in one of the short range systems?  Or am I imagining that?

ETA: Yeah, NASAMS. The 120 (not sure which version) is the short range missile in that system.  30 Km.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Might want to keep a torpedo on there too, although I wouldn't put it past the Navy trying to adapt the SM-6 for ASW.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

The P-8 has a prison wallet for torpedoes

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
SM-2 ER and SM-6 are the ones with a booster.  The 166km figure I gave was for SM-2MR which is kinda like a boosterless SM-6 with a semi active seeker.
View Quote

Good point, I misread what you originally posted then.

Certainly it is an interesting idea that could be a big advancement.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MudEagle] [#27]
Aught to be able to cross check that, don't they use the AIM-120 as a SAM in one of the short range systems?  Or am I imagining that?
View Quote

There is a SLAMRAAM system, but I don't know that released range capabilities are actually going to reflect any kind of reality that can be used to cross-check.

The rule of thumb that he posted is generally true, but not just for surface launching but also low altitude launches on aircraft compared to medium altitude launches. The difference in air density and Mach number compared to TAS are substantial.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I imagine it varies depending on how big the missile is. Air launching an ICBM for instance isn't going to give it the delta-v to hit the moon, but an air to air missile that would use up most of its energy just getting to the altitude and speed a fighter could launch it from might only get 1/10th the reach when fired from the ground, and might not even be able to hit a fighter flying high and fast directly overhead.

I would guess that the 1500lb Mk72 booster can yeet an SM-6 higher and faster than a Super Hornet can.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]

There is a SLAMRAAM system, but I don't know that released range capabilities are actually going to reflect any kind of reality that can be used to cross-check.

The rule of thumb that he posted is generally true, but not just for surface launching but also low altitude launches on aircraft compared to medium altitude launches. The difference in air density and Mach number compared to TAS are substantial.
View Quote

Is there a standard  or baseline altitude and speed for measuring range or does it vary based on project requirement?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#30]

I imagine it varies depending on how big the missile is. Air launching an ICBM for instance isn't going to give it the delta-v to hit the moon, but an air to air missile that would use up most of its energy just getting to the altitude and speed a fighter could launch it from might only get 1/10th the reach when fired from the ground, and might not even be able to hit a fighter flying high and fast directly overhead.

I would guess that the 1500lb Mk72 booster can yeet an SM-6 higher and faster than a Super Hornet can.
View Quote
but it has to yeet it's own mass too from a dead stop.  Air launched ideally you are at altitude, already super sonic and pointed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Most AAMs are single-stage solid fuel engines that burn only for the first part of the time-of-flight, and use that burn to climb in altitude substantially rather than heading directly toward the target. Then the remainder of the time-of-flight is spent coasting downhill toward the target after burn-out.

Thus, the more speed and altitude available at launch, the more time the missile spends in thinner air and at higher Mach numbers during that engine burn.

Even shooting from a fighter flying a high Mach number at low altitude there is a substantial degradation in range due to those factors.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Is there a standard  or baseline altitude and speed for measuring range or does it vary based on project requirement?
View Quote
Ever met a rocket scientist?  There are standards for everything, but I think the point being made was that the numbers that are public in no way reflect the actual performance of the item being described.   Maybe there is a standard offset to reality, that's a very engineering way of lying. There are standards for that too!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

For publicly released numbers? I'm not sure.

The classified manuals have charts that show min and max range launch envelopes across a range of altitudes, and most importantly, compared to standard target speed and aspect profiles. And, it is yardsticked against a Percentage of kill under those conditions (Pk).

It is the closure speed and aspect of the target that really has the greatest bearing on effective range, and those variables are never addressed in public-released numbers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#35]
but it has to yeet it's own mass too from a dead stop.  Air launched ideally you are at altitude, already super sonic and pointed in the right direction.
View All Quotes

That booster is 1500lbs and 45% of the weapon's total mass though.  M39 ATACMS is 45% warhead, so even without accounting for guidance and control, that is at most 65% booster, and it hits Mach 3 with an Apogee something like 50mi downrange and an altitude several times that of a manned fighter.  If the Mk72 can hit Mach 1.5 at 40kft, it will beat what a Super Hornet could reasonably do while carrying an SM-6 and not having a hundred mile run up with tankers at the start and end points.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#36]
It also has to carry the weight and drag of that booster through its cycle and at much denser air from a speed that’s about M1.2 less. So I don’t know what the answer is but it would take some math and defined variables to get to it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By William_lxix:

Battery life far exceeds the thrust.  Motor burn out happens before the kill at normal long range.  

Battery/capacitor bleed off is a real world safety issue for a misfire/hangfire procedure from either ship/shore launch.  Aircraft launch 'should' be able to safely jettison the store, or pylon.

View Quote

Thanks for teaching me cool stuff!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
Peace through strength is real. Not developing long range weapons when Russia and China are is an invitation for disaster.

Having an under 300 ship US Navy is a disaster. Not having a large fleet of bombers able to deploy a large amount of naval mines which are stockpiled in adequate numbers or advanced antiship missiles is a disaster.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
Peace through strength is real. Not developing long range weapons when Russia and China are is an invitation for disaster.

Having an under 300 ship US Navy is a disaster. Not having a large fleet of bombers able to deploy a large amount of naval mines which are stockpiled in adequate numbers or advanced antiship missiles is a disaster.

This x87 millon
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#39]
So....do they work good on Dams?  Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
Can SM6's target missiles?  Maybe this is an attempt to push the engagement envelope for incoming low altitude hypersonics beyond the fleet's engagement zone?
View Quote

Yup, depending on block they can target a pretty wide variety of aerial targets, including MRBMs and ICBMs with AEGIS BMD. Strategically they've been purposed for terminal phase intercepts, while SM3s are primarily purposed for mid-course intercepts.

Japanese are in on the party too and I'm sure some other countries, but I was never involved in any of those tests. (All the above is very public information).
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Cool like a mule man!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By bcw107:
Didn't they shoot down a satellite with one?
View Quote

No, SM-6 couldn’t do that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#44]
A fighter pilot on YT interview the other day said the thing the 22/35 have going for them is the stealth allows them to get in closer to fire, giving a greater probability of a hit.

Seems like these things would have a lower probability because of distance against a fighter. I dunno, I’m not a fighter pilot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12422/IMG_1785-3238773.jpg

Reminds me of this lol.

View Quote

Hmm.....similar to the CMCA concept
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
A fighter pilot on YT interview the other day said the thing the 22/35 have going for them is the stealth allows them to get in closer to fire, giving a greater probability of a hit.

Seems like these things would have a lower probability because of distance against a fighter. I dunno, I’m not a fighter pilot.
View Quote

Applying reasoning here:

1. It’s likely made to be used farther from the CSG than VLS loaded SM-6 could be rather than just airborne to get over the radar horizon. To reach anything like its max range it’ll be dependent on a link to a bigger radar than F/A-18 has and using an airborne radar they could shoot from a VLS cell.

2. AIM-260 also has more range than a 4th Gen fighter radar can use. Yet they want another option so it’s either because it’s faster, or longer ranged still, or they want a bigger warhead, or it’s for ships.

3. Pk against fighters at max range is going to be relatively low no matter what.

My guess is: they either want to close the loop against ships from aircraft faster than LRASM or JSM, or they want the ability to shoot down Chinese bombers beyond the range at which they can strike the fleet. Hence the interest in maximum range and a larger warhead than an AIM-120/260.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#48]

https://www.seaforces.org/wpnsys/SURFACE/RIM-66_DAT/RIM-66-Standard-Missile-005.jpg
View Quote

Sm2 can also be used anti ship.can it not?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Sm2 can also be used anti ship.can it not?
View Quote

Yeah. Little by little SM-2 and SM-6 are becoming the same missile.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:33:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#50]

Yeah. Little by little SM-2 and SM-6 are becoming the same missile.
View Quote

They are  being converted to Block IIIC
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top