Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2023 9:17:25 AM EDT
My good friends car stalled on a freeway the other night and she got clipped on the back.  Don’t think it’s totaled but the car that hit her also hit a side rail  and it may be totaled.   She is trying to get a rental car but the  other person’s insurance is filing an investigation saying it’s her fault the accident happened.    
Is there any advice I can give her on how to handle this.  I don’t want her to get screwed over by this.
She has full coverage.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
What has her insurance company said?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Well yeah, if she ended up stopped in a travel lane, and got hit, it somewhat is her fault.  Pull off to the shoulder with the momentum you already have….  (And don’t try limping an unreliable car onto the freeway either- that might be an issue as well, or maybe not).  It is generally not legal, nor smart, to just stop in the road, except for an actual emergency, and an engine stalling really isn’t an emergency by itself, because you should be pulling off onto the shoulder.

If she was on the shoulder, with her hazards going, then I would say she is not at fault.  

Now if there is no shoulder anywhere, well this is where not taking an unreliable vehicle onto the freeway might come in.  Whether she had her hazards on matters as well.  

Anyhow- just deal with the insurance companies, such is life.  I know of people who were killed in circumstances like stalling out on the freeway in the travel lane, so she got lucky if she did not get hurt.  

<——-  crash investigator.  But this is pretty minor it sounds like, so someone like me probably did not/will not be involved.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I got rear ended...

Now my car won't start.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, I remember reading a news story not long ago about a guy getting charged with two counts of manslaughter (if memory is correct) after he slowed/stopped on a freeway and caused an accident that killed two people.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well yeah, if she ended up stopped in a travel lane, and got hit, it somewhat is her fault.  Pull off to the shoulder with the momentum you already have….  (And don’t try limping an unreliable car onto the freeway either- that might be an issue as well, or maybe not).  It is generally not legal, nor smart, to just stop in the road, except for an actual emergency, and an engine stalling really isn’t an emergency by itself, because you should be pulling off onto the shoulder.

If she was on the shoulder, with her hazards going, then I would say she is not at fault.  

Now if there is no shoulder anywhere, well this is where not taking an unreliable vehicle onto the freeway might come in.  Whether she had her hazards on matters as well.  

Anyhow- just deal with the insurance companies, such is life.  I know of people who were killed in circumstances like stalling out on the freeway in the travel lane, so she got lucky if she did not get hurt.  

<——-  crash investigator.  But this is pretty minor it sounds like, so someone like me probably did not/will not be involved.
View Quote

I'm not going to refute your experience, but it's not as cut and dry as "Pull off to the shoulder with the momentum you already have".
A couple years back. I was driving a rental car that died. It was going fine, then the AC stopped working. Not enough for me to think the car is going to die, the clutch could've went. Then, almost instantly, every single warning light came on and the car died. Like, dead. Steering locked-up and the brakes were hard as a rock. What's even better is the P-brake was the electronic push-button. I was barely able to use the foot pedal to slow down and it came to rest about 40% over the shoulder line. The four ways wouldn't even work...dead. Luckily, I had a coworker behind me in the work van. We gently pushed it a bit more, to get it into the shoulder, and I called the rental place. So, in the middle of a highway, I would've been fucked.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Was her car in a legal and safe position when it was hit?

You say "stalled on the freeway". What does that mean? In a lane, was it light out, warning devices, and so on.

As for a rental car, she should have had that option on her policy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Since she has full coverage then my advice is for her to file a claim against her own policy so she will be taken care of and let her insurance company deal with the ither insurance company.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got rear ended...

Now my car won't start.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
At the very least it seems like the other carrier is going to put some negligence on her. If she has full coverage, she should go through her carrier.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Why do people call the other person's insurance company when they are in a wreck?  You arent paying the other company so why would they do anything to help you?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why do people call the other person's insurance company when they are in a wreck?  You arent paying the other company so why would they do anything to help you?
View Quote
Was wondering the same thing. I’ve seen this in a few accident related threads recently.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The car suddenly died and left her in the road. Interstate 45   . 4 lanes of traffic each way.  The car behind her immediately clipped the rear passenger side.   I told her to let her insurance handle it so we will see what happens
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Just found out she only has liability insurance ??
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The plot thickens
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The car suddenly died and left her in the road. Interstate 45   . 4 lanes of traffic each way.  The car behind her immediately clipped the rear passenger side.   I told her to let her insurance handle it so we will see what happens
View Quote

Did she know the car was a broke down POS?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Just tell her to answer the phone with "Hola", and "no hablo ingles" for the next year. She'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#18]
So, the car died "upon impact"
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got rear ended...

Now my car won't start.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/spock-505.gif

Wrong Star Trek character...it should have been Sulu.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Did she know the car was a broke down POS?
View Quote

It’s not.   It’s a 2012 Audi a5   In good condition.  Or was.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Was wondering the same thing. I’ve seen this in a few accident related threads recently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never ever talk to the other insurance company. Never.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

She has no recourse until the two insurance companies fight it out or take it to arbitration. That can take 30-60 days before fault is determined.

Was a police report filed?  TX is an at fault state if a vehicle was disabled, there was an injury or property damage occurred.

She’s fucked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's not.   It's a 2012 Audi a5   In good condition.  Or was.
View Quote
And she had liability only?

Sounds like she needs a more intelligent network of people around her to give advice.

I have comp on a 97 F250 I have not drove in 3 years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my case, I have only liability coverage for a shitbox I use once or twice a week. If I get hit in it, I'll have to file a claim against the other vehicle's insurance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least in Michigan which is a No-Fault state we have what is called Mini-Tort. As the non At-fault driver you are eligible to collect (last time I did such) from the at-fault driver’s insurance company $1000 to cover damages to your car if you do not have full coverage insurance or to cover your deductible if you have standard full coverage instead of Broad Form which covers your deductible whether or not you are at fault.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top