Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2021 12:45:48 PM EDT
https://www.azfamily.com/news/ap_cnn/venomous-snake-found-lurking-in-familys-christmas-tree/article_969d87ca-f53f-54c3-836b-38352efdfce9.html?block_id=997197

There's usually a sense of excitement about what lies beneath the Christmas tree, but for one festive family the biggest surprise was lurking in the branches up above.

Rob and Marcela Wild wasted no time in calling in a professional after they discovered one of Africa's most venomous snakes hiding between the tinsel and baubles at their home in South Africa on Friday.

Having decorated the tree just hours earlier, they spotted their cats staring at its branches.

Rob Wild, a British stock market trader who moved with his Costa Rican wife to South Africa 18 years ago, told CNN on Tuesday: "The cats were peering into the tree and my wife said 'there's probably a mouse in there somewhere.'"

They soon discovered a rather different animal staring back, however -- a boomslang.

"I didn't know what it was at the time but then I Googled what snakes are in our area and it came up immediately as a boomslang. I thought 'holy Moses, this is the king of all poisonous snakes,'" the 55-year-old said.

The boomslang is known as a shy species, but it is one of the most venomous in Africa. The animal's venom causes hemorrhages and can be fatal to humans in small amounts.

Snake catcher Gerrie Heyns confirmed the animal's identity when he arrived at the family's property in Robertson, the Western Cape, soon afterwards. The snake was female and between 1.3 meters (4.3 feet) and 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) long, Heyns told CNN on Tuesday.

He said he instructed the family to stay away from the tree, but to "keep their eyes on the snake" until his arrival.

"The snake stayed in the tree for two hours until I got there," Heyns said. He used "snake tongs" to place it on the floor, where it was "easier to handle," he added.

"Once I had it under control the family came right up to see the snake. It didn't try to bite or be defensive because I gave it no reason to. A scary moment turned into an exciting moment for the children," Heyns said.

He then held it behind the neck and placed it in a "snake tube." As it was getting dark, Heyns took the reptile home where he temporarily housed it in a snake enclosure before releasing it back into the wild on Sunday.

Heyns said the snake would have likely entered the property in search of food, water and shelter.

"Probably when it saw the first movement it tried to escape into the nearest hiding place which was the tree," he said.

Heyns, who has removed hundreds of snakes from South African homes, said that bites from a boomslang are rare.

Heyns said that in his eight years as a professional catcher, he has only been bitten once -- and that was because he hadn't realized the animal had been shot and was acting defensively.

"They (snakes) are very reluctant to bite but have just been demonized so much," he added.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
geebus, the only things we had drop out of our trees were ticks when we went to the farm to cut a cedar. Mom went fricken nuts and doused the living room with Real Kill.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Africa Wins Again!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
"boomslang" means "tree snake" so I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Well done first post, well done!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI. But I would include the house in that fire just to be sure!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always been a reptile lover. We only have 2 venomous snakes in my part of Georgia.  They are relatively slow, ground dwelling creatures. Pretty easy to spot, and watch, from a safe distance. Cool creatures.But these Aftican snakes, and especially those Australian snakes are insane. The Kraits, Browns and Boomslangs. That's too much.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Black Mamba and the whole family would be dead.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"boomslang" means "tree snake" so I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise.
View Quote

Venomous African tree snake found in tree in Africa

News at 11
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw the pic and thought how in the hell did a boomslang wind up in a tree in the US.  Then I read the article
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, Boomer Slanger.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Add one more reason to the "why I should buy a katana" list.

That HOA goose thread from the other day and this thread bring me up to like 5 reasons now...
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Was it a female that had just laid it's eggs?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Not Florida, pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I bless the rains
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've always been a reptile lover. We only have 2 venomous snakes in my part of Georgia.  They are relatively slow, ground dwelling creatures. Pretty easy to spot, and watch, from a safe distance. Cool creatures.But these Aftican snakes, and especially those Australian snakes are insane. The Kraits, Browns and Boomslangs. That's too much.
View Quote

Had a Krait come at me while doing a water crossing once had both hands full of equipment trying to keep my stuff above water...water was up to mid chest level...I was the high ground snake was looking for...just about sundown and we were moving into our ambush site...dumped mag snake turned around went back the way he came in.
Pissed everybody off as we had to go find a new site I had compromised ours...
They got over it a couple days later when they needed me again...
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Saved by cats.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope nope

were's my lighter
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a 12ga shotgun by each door of my house, Black Mamba would eat lead
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Should have called Uncle Lewis.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if it got you first, instead.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Should have called Severus Snape...
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Fell for it!  The old poisonous snake in the Christmas tree…..

“Snake tongs?”

Is that like the worlds second longest corn tongs, but for snakes?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kraits, Brown & Boomslangs! Oh, my!

Come own, you know you were thinking it…..i’m the only Boomer nerdy enough to post it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
“Snake tongs?”

View Quote

https://tongs.com/
For both handling sneks in captivity or when out herping and you encounter a wild critter.
Snake Hook vs Snake Tong | Which One Should I Choose?

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

“Snake tongs?”

View Quote

Snake Tongs is the wrong way to spell Shotgun
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Come own, you know you were thinking it…..i’m the only Boomer nerdy enough to post it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha! That one must have come straight out of my subconscious
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well done first post, well done!
View Quote

thread...
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#36]
What part of Georgia? We got quite a few in my part of the state, bare minimum.

Eastern diamondback, copperhead, water moccasin and the coral snake. Then the odd timber rattler.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck that
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For both handling sneks in captivity or when out herping and you encounter a wild critter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHTXIGRw4a0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Snake tongs?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHTXIGRw4a0

Which do I need? Snake hook or snake tongs?

Ha! Trick question. You actually need a machete.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey russ where's your uncle, he usually eats these things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top