Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2024 7:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ad_nauseam]
Why would you want to run it? If someone steals/accesses your machine, they can't open it without the passphrase. The bootloader is replaced with a VeraCrypt one.

Have been running it for almost a decade, you can either encrypt the main partition or create an encrypted volume.

Supposedly 20+ character passphrases are unbreakable by anyone due to the number of permutations, gazillion to the power of bazillion.

Want to try it on Linux also.

what is your favorite cascading encryption sequence?
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
For linux, whats wrong with the default encrypted lvm setup that we can easily get nowdays?
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:37:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ad_nauseam] [#2]
It's not that there is anything wrong with but it does not cascade like VeraCrypt.
VeraCrypt offers up to 3 levels of cascading encryption. AES-TwoFish-Serpent. It is like a safe inside a safe inside a safe.

To add another layer of safety, an encrypted volume can be set up inside the operating system volume.

On top of that, VeraCrypt has the concept of PIM which defines the number of times your password is hashed before being used to decrypt the disk.

If you want something nobody can break for the next 1000 years, use the above with a really long quasy-random passphrase which is really the weakest point but above 20 chars it's bazillion to the power of gazillion combinations.

I multiboot and I managed to confuse VC and almost bricked my box when I encrypted the bootloader itself, much like bitlocker.  Instead of doing that, I VC each individual disk so that an encrypted disk can be on the machine next to an unencrypted one.

Linux's LUKS is probably fine for everyday stuff nothing special security. I would probably still setup a VC container inside a LUKS system.

I wonder how well Windows bitlocker can play with the main volume encrypted with VeraCrypt.

Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using it for about 8 years and probably always will. I'm not an expert in any of this but I use it to keep a hidden backup on a server. Works great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:07:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#4]
I just the built in encryption that linux offers, LVM. If you do not put in the right code, my comps will not boot.

I am willing to bet my comps (and network) is more secure that the DoD crap I have to use at work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as anyone knows, AES is unbreakable when properly implemented (as it is in Veracrypt).  Using cascading ciphers probably won't hurt anything, but it's not necessary.  The things you would need to be concerned about are a weak password, a keystroke logger, or the wrench method.

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Been using it for many years. Veracrypt is tier 1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top