User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2022 2:20:38 PM EDT
Video at link.

Video shows dad protect son from charging bull at rodeo

Attachment Attached File

A hero dad was caught on harrowing video throwing himself between his son and a raging bull at a Texas rodeo earlier this month.

The Instagram footage shows 18-year-old Cody Hooks being bucked off the bull almost immediately after coming out of the gate at the Bell County Rodeo in Belton on Feb. 12, reports KWTX.

The fall left the teen unconscious on the ground while the bull charged past two bullfighters.

The young man’s father, Landis Hooks, then runs out to shield his son with his body as the bull runs towards them with his horns down.

“Not one to post falling off, but big thanks to my dad @hooks.landis and the bullfighters last night in Belton, Tx,” Cody wrote in a posting along with the video he put online. “Could’ve been a hella lot worse. #blessed”

The bull, named Twizler, didn’t actually gore the father and cowboy, but it did push them with his head, Tina Butler of the Bell County Rodeo tells the Post. She witnessed the whole thing.

“Both of them walked away with just scratches,” said Butler. “Because of the potential danger, it was the perfect scenario of no one got hurt.”

Rodeo bulls weigh between 1,000 and 1,200 pounds, she said. Even in the rodeo community where cowboys and their families know the inherent risk of the sport, Butler says her heart stopped watching the cowboy’s father step in to protect him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Dad of the Year material right there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Good on him!

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's Mongo when you need him?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

He knew it was coming back for him, too. Fantastic job, Dad.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That was awesome.  Great job, pops.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where's Mongo when you need him?
View Quote

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The biggest set of balls in that video weren't attached to the bull.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what a real father does. That's the type who'd die going in a house trying to save his kids
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's what a real father does. That's the type who'd die going in a house trying to save his kids
View Quote

This.
It truly surprises me there are people who wouldn't do what he did. I mean, that's your son.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I stopped my girlfriend from burning her hand on the hot stove when I said "Careful, thats hot"

So I know how the dad feels
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I think they weigh more than that….
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#12]
looks like he head butted the damn thing second or third jump comin out the gate...he was out before he fell
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]
That boy never needs to wonder if his dad loves him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope to never be faced with such terrible things but I know in my heart that I wouldn't batt an eye to save my daughter.  I'd rather die than even see her temporarily hurt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
He didn't give it a moment's thought.

"Son, try not to headbutt the bull next time".
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He knew it was coming back for him, too. Fantastic job, Dad.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo.

This is what you signup for when you become a dad.

It's a shame that some don't get it
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Everyday hero right there. Nothing can replace a dad. Nothing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bingo.

This is what you signup for when you become a dad.

It's a shame that some don't get it
View Quote

imagine all of the fathers in this country who don’t even know their own damn children. that’s some sick business right there
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think they weigh more than that….
View Quote

Most of them do.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
That is a real dad, need more like him....

No greater love.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Wonder what it's like having a dad like that
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Fucking badass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Pretty sure that dad would do the same thing for a stranger.

I was going to take my son to that rodeo but instead went over to @wolfjflywheel place and shot raccoons with NV.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#26]
It ain’t news when it’s the norm.

Cowboys doing Cowboy things.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It ain’t news when it’s the norm.

Cowboys doing Cowboy things.
View Quote

That’s kind of how I see it too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
looks like he head butted the damn thing second or third jump comin out the gate...he was out before he fell
View Quote

yep,  arms already going into that limp mode, brain injury thing....and hat goin akilter...

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Biggest balls in the stadium that night were not on the bull...

Fencers response though.  Hope the kid got his head checked out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

yup.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I saw this yesterday that was outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#33]
What an incredible video. I've got tears in my eyes watching that dad be a dad.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pretty sure that dad would do the same thing for a stranger.

I was going to take my son to that rodeo but instead went over to @wolfjflywheel place and shot raccoons with NV.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140663/20220212_205215-2298878.jpg
View Quote

What about our rodeo?

I don't think you saw that one Brahmer bitch come flying out right over him?

He did good and made himself really really small though

We should set up a video camera next time, if not for some laughs the cops can at least figure out what caused the bloodbath

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just make sure your sons know what it's like.  That's even better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I may have sniffled a little.  

Weird, that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I've known men who have done that same thing to their sons, brothers, fathers and uncles.

just working stock bulls is a dangerous gig. getting on rodeo stock is another level of danga danga.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, man.  

Damn, I miss my Dad and I love my two sons.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

yep,  arms already going into that limp mode, brain injury thing....and hat goin akilter...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slid  back off his rope when the bull jumped and it whipped him down when he bucked.

Any bullfighter in that arena would have done the same thing. Bull looked like he was gonna turn right but he didn’t and the bullfighters lost his attention.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow. Pretty moving.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#42]
It is indescribable how flawlessly executed that was. Videos like these are interesting as a paramedic as they show things we learn about and respond to, but we don't see first hand.

A couple of things I noticed:
How fast he recognizes the problem and reacts.

He positions himself where he can both see and react to the threat.

His hands are positioned absolutely perfectly on first contact with his son.

Dad goes under his sons left shoulder, over the right shoulder, then dad  positions his head between the left arm and head of his son,  then essentially locks both his and his sons cervical and thoracic spines into one unit. (I can't dream up a better way to protect the head and neck of an unconcious person in this scenario)

Dad slightly rolls to his right which lowers his center of gravity making it harder for the bull to use dad as a lever to roll the pair over.

Hard to tell how far from the video, but the bull is able to bulldoze the pair around 6-8 feet and both son and dad remain in virtually the exact same position.

Thats mans instincts and OODA loop can only be described as: "Dialed the fuck in".

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#43]
This video makes me tear up a bit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep, I choked up for sure.  It's a bit personal to me to see guys do things like that for their kids for two reasons.  When I was a small kid my parents got divorced and my new step-dad took us canoeing on the Boise River. My canoe tipped over and I was about to drown when he grabbed me and hauled me to shore.  No big deal to him, but I was 5 and it's still a pretty big deal to me.

Much later I was in the situation to save my kids.  Now, seeing it happen or reading about it makes me tear up like a teenage girl.  Whatever, I'm not the same man I was before.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#46]
That’s a fathers love. I have four boys and would GLADLY lay my life down to protect them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It is indescribable how flawlessly executed that was. Videos like these are interesting as a paramedic as they show things we learn about and respond to, but we don't see first hand.

Dad goes under his sons left shoulder, over the right shoulder, then dad  positions his head between the left arm and head of his son,  then essentially locks both his and his sons cervical and thoracic spines into one unit. (I can't dream up a better way to protect the head and neck of an unconcious person in this scenario)

Dad slightly rolls to his right which lowers his center of gravity making it harder for the bull to use dad as a lever to roll the pair over.

Hard to tell how far from the video, but the bull is able to bulldoze the pair around 6-8 feet and both son and dad remain in virtually the exact same position.

Thats mans instincts and OODA loop can only be described as: "Dialed the fuck in".

View Quote
He practiced that position when he conceived him
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's a fathers love. I have four boys and would GLADLY lay my life down to protect them.
View Quote

Before you have kids you're like, "Oh yeah, of course, I'd die for my kids." Because that's what you're supposed to say.

The you have one, and hold that little life in you hands for the first time.  The overwhelming responsibility of it all hits you and you realize that you absolutely would lay down your life for them.

That's why I'm always at a loss when I see a news story about kids lost in a house fire or something and the parents are outside holding eachother.  I just don't get it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure what I had planned to say but I’ll just go with yours.
That kid owes his dad a cold one
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

(snip)
That kid owes his dad a cold one
View Quote

Certain debts can only be paid forward.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top